• Published 14th Jul 2019
  • 2,840 Views, 358 Comments

Reflections in Black and Pink - Krixwell



When a group of changelings infiltrating Manehattan mistake a rogue Pinkie Pie clone for one of their own, nopony will know what hit them.

  • ...
7
 358
 2,840

Chapter 7 - Art of Distress

Party Popper was having the time of her life. At least the part of her life that was really hers.

Why had Pinkie Pie never told her how much FUN adventure could be? Surely she could've mentioned it at some point between creating her, teaching her about Pinkie's friends, sending her to have FUN with those friends, and getting those same friends to ruthlessly murder all the other clones, leaving Party Popper – excluded from the massacre by dumb luck – to flee the town in terror once she understood what had happened. A simple "Hey, do you know what's FUN? Adventure!" had to fit in there somewhere.

It wasn't all bad, though. This way, she was getting to discover the joy of adventure for herself, and that was FUN too.

At the moment, adventure had found its way to a clothing store on Saddle Row. After Frons filled the squad in on why the police officers were out looking for Party Popper again, Labrum had brought up how much she stuck out, looking like Pinkie Pie. Party Popper didn't see it. Her coat and hat made a brilliant disguise! But the police officers knew about her outfit too.

And so Clypeus had suggested getting her a new outfit that would hide her better, and quickly volunteered to go into the store with her. All of them coming would be "conspicuous", he said, whatever that meant. Mandible hadn't been satisfied with just Clypeus going with her, but Frons had wanted to talk to the rest of the squad while Party Popper and Clypeus were inside.

A little bell rang as Clypeus led the way into the store, disguised as a yellow, blue-maned unicorn mare with freckles. For some reason, Labrum had looked surprised when Clypeus shapeshifted into the form, but Popper just thought he looked cute like that.

Inside, they were met by a bespectacled, blue earth mare with her pink mane tied up in the back.

"Welcome to Rarity For You," the mare said politely. "My name's Blue Bobbin. I'll be your–" She cut herself off as she got a better look at Party Popper. "Oh! Pinkie Pie, so good to see you again. How may I help you and your friend today?"

Clypeus tensed.

"Pinkie Pie?" Party Popper asked automatically. "Who's that?"

Blue Bobbin raised her eyebrows and frowned. She backtracked, but kept her composure. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry," she said, "I must have mistaken you for somepony else. You look and sound very much alike."

"That's okay!" Party Popper said. "I get that a lot."

"So how may I help you today?" Blue Bobbin repeated.

Clypeus was about to say something, but Popper spoke first. "What's the best you have in disguises?"

"Disguises?" Blue Bobbin echoed, but professionalism once again replaced the surprise in seconds. "If you're looking for something that hides your natural appearance, I suppose the best choice we have would be the Wear-Do-Well line. You'll probably like it – it shares some stylistic similarities with your current outfit."

"Sounds good!"

"But we don't have it on display, so I'll have to go looking for it in the back."

"Take as long as you need," Clypeus said with a mare's pleasant voice. He didn't smile, but he sounded pleased.

Blue Bobbin nodded in acknowledgement and headed toward the back of the shop.

Once Blue Bobbin was out of earshot, Clypeus turned to Popper and said, cautiously, "You're… not a changeling, are you? You don't act like any changeling I ever knew..."

"Well, duh!" Popper said. "I'm an earth pony!"

Of course there was a little more to it than that, but she didn't like to talk about her origins. The memories of that day were not exactly FUN, and if word got out about what she was, it might make its way back to Princess Twilight. Party Popper didn't want to die.

Sometimes Party Popper was glad the Mirror Pool hadn't given her all of Pinkie Pie's memories. She had kept Pinkie Pie's basic personality, knowledge and skills – facts of the world and how to do things – but she didn't remember the things Pinkie Pie had experienced, or all the ponies Pinkie Pie had known. There were many things she knew, sometimes about other ponies Pinkie had met but she hadn't, which she didn't remember learning.

She was glad because it meant fleeing Ponyville had left her with no memories to miss from a life she never experienced, and no uncertainty about whether something she remembered was really her own memory. But most of all, she didn't think she could bear living in constant fear of Twilight Sparkle and her Council of Harmony if she'd had memories of being their friend.

She wondered if Pinkie Pie or Twilight Sparkle had thought about how the Pool worked anywhere near as much as Party Popper had.

Musings like those had also led her to realize that the Pool exaggerated whichever traits were at the front of a pony's mind when she used it. When she cloned herself, Pinkie Pie had wanted to go along with whatever her friends were doing in order to have FUN, and so her clones all had a strong attraction to FUN and a willingness to go along with almost anything. As the second batch of clones started making more clones, each generation had been increasingly obsessed with FUN, and their willingness to go along when Applejack corralled them into the town hall and Twilight sat them down to watch paint dry had ultimately led to their demise.

"I don't think the others know that," Clypeus said. Wait, know what? Popper mentally rewinded and found the answer.

"Ohhh." Popper said. That explained a lot. "So that's why Mandible wanted me to shapeshift!"

"Not so loud, Proboscis, Blue Bobbin could come back at any moment. Wait, is Proboscis even your real name?"

Real name? Did she even have a real name? "Nope! Mandible made that up. I'm Party Popper." She held out a hoof to shake, but Clypeus just looked at it.

"So… if you're not a changeling, why are you here? Why are you helping us?"

"Isn't it obvious, silly? It's FUN!"

"Fun?" Clypeus gave a confused frown.

"FUN! We're going on an adventure, and doing FUN things like breaking you out of jail with my money, and I've never been friends with changelings before!"

"Friends?" How was he still frowning while repeating these words? "Changelings don't really do friendship. Only squads. And being in a changeling squad isn't really all that fun."

"Well, that's a downer," Popper said. "You should try it sometime! Friends are great as long as you're the original you!"

"What?"

"Nothing!" Popper's ear twitched at a sound. "Oh, I think Blue Bobbin's coming back."

"Don't tell the others you're not a changeling," Clypeus said quickly, but firmly. "If they find out, they'll – oh, there you are," he smiled at Blue Bobbin as she re-entered the room. The smile was as fake as his freckles.

Blue Bobbin was carrying a cardboard box on her back, muttering something about unicorns and shelves. She placed the box down on the floor and opened it up. Clypeus, being the only pony in the room with a horn, levitated an outfit out of the box.

"Here we go," Blue Bobbin said. "The Mysterious Wear-Do-Well! I must admit I never understood the name, but she insisted that was what it was called."

It looked vaguely familiar to Party Popper, but she couldn't remember why. She was used to that sensation. It probably meant it had some connection to Pinkie Pie's life. Maybe Pinkie Pie had seen an outfit like this one before, and Party Popper had retained some knowledge of what it looked like but no memory of seeing it?

She pushed those thoughts aside and focused on the outfit. It was a dark purple bodysuit with blue socks and a collar that formed two short tails at the back of the neck. A long, blue cape billowed out from underneath it. Something told Popper that it should be even longer, but it was already long enough that it would cover her cutie mark had the bodysuit not already done so. It came with a matching dark purple hat, which had an even wider brim than the one she was already wearing, as well as a translucent veil that would cover her face. It looked great.

At the front of the collar was a small emblem of a unicorn's head with a curly mane – Rarity, Popper realized with a start. As it occurred to her what Blue Bobbin had said the name of the store was, and just who had designed all the outfits around them, Party Popper felt a little queasy.

"I'll take it!" she said, wanting to do no such thing. If she had a choice, she'd rather burn it. She strained to keep up her polite smile. "How much?"

"Fifty bits," Blue Bobbin answered, "but don't you want to try–"

"Won't be necessary," Party Popper said, hoofing over the rest of her month's earnings at the bakery with little concern for how expensive that was. Not bothering to go to the changing room – it wasn't like ponies normally wore clothes anyway – she quickly stored her coat in her mane and put on the bodysuit while Blue Bobbin was counting the money. The suit was a little tight, but fit well enough for somepony who just wanted to leave.

She tried to take off her hat, but it wouldn't budge without pulling out her mane. What the hay kind of glue even was that? She put the wider-brimmed Wear-Do-Well hat on top of her existing one, trapping the veil between the hats.

"Popper..." Clypeus said, looking confused and concerned.

"Fits great, thank you, let's go!" Popper said loudly as she collected the change from Bobbin's counter and quickly turned towards the door. Clypeus had no choice but to follow.

"Have a nice–" Bobbin's confused voice was cut off as the door to Rarity's store closed behind Party Popper. A second or two later, Clypeus came out behind her.

"What was that all about?" he asked, sounding… worried? What did he have to worry about?

"I just… I didn't want to keep the squad waiting!" she lied, sporting one of the most forced smiles she could remember making. "Now come on, Clype – we have a city to get out of."

Author's Note:

TFW you send somepony into a store to get a better outfit for blending into crowds with and she comes out in a superhero costume with two hats stacked on top of each other. –_–

Any member of the squad other than Clypeus would knock out Blue Bobbin and steal an outfit, regardless of Popper's opinion.