• Published 14th Jul 2019
  • 2,838 Views, 358 Comments

Reflections in Black and Pink - Krixwell



When a group of changelings infiltrating Manehattan mistake a rogue Pinkie Pie clone for one of their own, nopony will know what hit them.

  • ...
7
 358
 2,838

Chapter 18 - An Audience

Party Popper opened her eyes just a little as the cage she was in thumped against the floor.

Cage…? she thought groggily. They've captured me…

"What's this?" asked a harsh voice, familiar yet unfamiliar through the haze.

"Your Highness," said somepony just above her, a more genuinely familiar voice that Party Popper couldn't place, "We are under attack!"

Highness… That's right… They've captured me, and now Twilight is going to kill me…

"WAIT!" a third voice shouted behind her. Clypeus? "It's all a misunderstanding, Your Highness."

Party Popper opened her eyes the rest of the way as everything came back to her. She was in a large room in the changeling hive, held in a cage made of Cuticle's lower body. In the middle of the room sat an enormous throne, upon which a tall changeling stood. Between her size, stature, slitted eyes and weblike mane and the way she was being addressed, Party Popper didn't need Pinkie Pie's knowledge of the mare to know who she was.

Queen Chrysalis.

"What?" Cuticle said to Clypeus. "Are you saying this pony was telling the truth when she said she came with you?"

"Explain yourself, Clypeus," Chrysalis demanded.

"Sh-she's not a pony—" Clypeus began stammering.

"I found her," Mandible said as the rest of the squad followed Clypeus into the throne room. Chrysalis turned her gaze to him. "This is… Proboscis, Your Highness. I found her while draining love in Manehattan, with her form frozen as Pinkie Pie. She was going to give away our presence, looking like that, so I brought her back to the squad."

Party Popper winced as the Queen's slitted eyes turned to her. "Um… hiya. Your Highness."

"We decided it would be best to bring her with us on our return to the hive," Frons said, "so that she could request your help to unfreeze her form."

Chrysalis frowned and was about to say something when a growl came from Popper's right. Gena.

"You are all buzzing idiots!" she said, looking towards Mandible, Clypeus and Frons.

Labrum, in the back, stopped laughing. Why had he been laughing to begin with? Nothing about this was funny.

"She's not a changeling!" Gena asserted. "No changeling I've ever met could ever be that incompetent! Spiracle is a more believable changeling than this pink maggot."

Clypeus winced.

"She can't shapeshift, she can't act, she can barely lie. She almost sabotaged us multiple times, probably on purpose. She didn't even buzzing know where the hive was, let alone how to navigate it! And Proboscis is almost as obviously a fake name as buzzing Valvula!"

"Hey, I used to know a Val—" Frons interjected, but Gena cut him off.

"Your Highness, I don't know why Pinkie Pie decided to tag along with us, but the way I see it, all she did was give us the chance to hoof her over to you."

Welp.

Silence reigned as everypony in the room looked between Gena and Party Popper, except for Clypeus, who looked down at the floor. Chrysalis' gaze remained steady on Party Popper, and Popper thought she could see a small smile on her mouth. A sinister smile.

The Queen raised her insectoid wings and flew off her throne, landing a short distance in front of Cuticle and Party Popper. "Move out of the way, but keep her from running," she told Cuticle.

The bars of the cage morphed into hooves and Cuticle withdrew to guard the main entrance. There was no need. Party Popper was frozen to the spot under the Queen's gaze, shivering.

She didn't even move as Chrysalis' horn lit up with sickly green magic. The magic washed over Party Popper, tearing at every fiber of her being as though attempting to force her to reveal everything, every hidden nook and cranny and vein and nerve of her body.

The magic faded. Nothing had happened.

Yet Chrysalis' smile broadened into the creepiest grin Party Popper had ever seen. "You were right," she said, still looking at Party Popper. "This is the real Pinkie Pie."

"P-Pinkie Pie? Who's that?" Party Popper tried. It was worth a shot, even if it had never worked.

Chrysalis laughed. It was a sinister, but genuine laughter, the kind somepony let out after not laughing for a very long time and then getting the best news of the year. "Cuticle, cocoon her!"

Party Popper tried to scramble to her hooves, but Cuticle was too quick for her. Before she knew it, Popper was being pushed down to the floor again – though thankfully not by a bear this time – as Cuticle began producing a slimy green substance from somewhere. Though she had never learned it, Popper knew the substance was used to hold prisoners and hang them from the ceiling.

Squad 833 were watching, quietly. Frons and Mandible looked mildly shocked, and even Labrum had a serious look on his face. By comparison, Gena's smug smile at the sight felt like a bear's baton to the face.

Clypeus was the only one who looked worried about her.

"Labrum," Chrysalis continued while Cuticle was working, "I need a skilled infiltrator for this job, one who knows laughter. I want you to travel to Canterlot and take Pinkie Pie's place among the Bearers. Do what you can to sabotage anything they might use against us at the Festival of Love."

Labrum simply nodded. No laughter, no remorse, no anything other than confident subservience to his Queen.

"Go via gateway. Our spies in Canterlot will be told to make contact."

Gateway?

"As for you," Chrysalis said in a significantly darker tone, staring straight at Clypeus. "Do you honestly think somepony can be Queen of a hive full of deceitful shapeshifters for as long as I have and not learn how to spot a liar?"

"I–" Clypeus said, but he couldn't find the words to defend himself.

"You knew what she was and attempted to deceive me. Poorly! Not only do you betray my trust, you insult your Queen by doing it so transparently that a larva would figure it out. Mandible! Cocoon him as well."

"Yes, Your Highness," said Mandible, looking very uncomfortable.

"Wait, Mandible, no!" Clypeus pleaded.

But Mandible was already on the task, strategically starting by sticking the cocoon substance to Clypeus' hooves and the floor so he would have a hard time moving.

Cuticle finished Party Popper's cocoon and lifted her up by it.

"The rest of you can go and train," Chrysalis said. "We have an invasion to prepare for."

Her laughter echoed through the throne room as Party Popper was carried away.

Author's Note:

We've finally made it to this scene! Writing these chapters has been quite fun because this section of the story has back-to-back-to-back-to-back scenes I've been looking forward to for a long time, even if their specific forms have fluctuated in my head.

Fun fact: All of the story so far has been covered by the same bullet point on my original outline. If you thought this was the endgame, I refer you to the description:

But when a changeling mistakes her for one of his kind and brings her back to Chrysalis, it marks the beginning of mayhem for everypony.