• Published 30th Jun 2019
  • 1,864 Views, 6 Comments

Burdens - Tranquil Serenity



Sisters are supposed share everything. Secrets, experiences, feelings, knowing silences... but sometimes first a silence must be broken for sisters to truly understand one another.

  • ...
1
 6
 1,864

Burdens

Alabaster hooves settled into the warm sand, a long mane billowing elegantly through the air in a mix of softly radiant hues. There was a gentle breeze today, and Celestia felt it faintly blowing against her milk-white coat. The sun could be viewed peeking out at the end of the horizon, a length of water beneath it spanning many miles to just a few yards from the edge of the beach where the alicorn stood, her lilac eyes gazing out at the scene that lay before her.

A symphony of color played out in the sky on this late afternoon - crimson outlining edges of brilliant gold, with soft touches of amethyst and indigo peeking through the sparse weaves of scattered clouds. Celestia eased her eyelashes downwards to a close, her vision purposefully obscured as she took in the sounds around her. The rhythmic sloshing of the waters as they ascended and receded softly against the shore tickled her ears, the sound of an occasional seagull crying wistfully across the painted expanse. The corners of her mouth twinged upwards, a quiet smile gracing her lips.

"Tia!... Tia!..." came a sharp whisper.

Celestia blinked hastily awake, lifting her head as her vision blurred by sleep attempted to take in the scene. She found herself sitting at the end of a long rectangular table, centered in the Canterlot Palace meeting room - a chamber both very grand and very drab all at once. Filling every seat in her gaze were many important ponies of state, and just now... every eye was looking in her direction, their expressions betraying their acute anticipation.

She turned to her sister Luna seated on her left, who in turn cast a meaningful glance to a scrap of paper held under her blue-tipped hoof upon the glossy marble tabletop, the corner had a hastily written message that she covertly inched towards Celestia. The Sun Princess looked down at the parchment, though doing so with great care that she appeared to be taking a moment to herself to consider the weight of the unknown issue.

Your decision on the Hippogriff trade agreement! it said.

Celestia lifted her gaze to the officials, smiling with an air of elegant grace. "Minsters of State," she addressed them, "my sister and I have discussed the issue at length with our advisors, and after much thought have come to the decision that the terms are satisfactory."

There were a few indistinct murmurs from some of the officials, yet the Princess continued after a momentary pause, her confident tone unaffected, unfaltering....

"We are certain that the agreement shall be a meaningful step in the harmony between our two nations," she finished. Then Celestia slid her chair back and rose smoothly, every member at the table arising in kind, save Luna who by right of rank did not err in remaining seated. "The most pressing matters of this meeting concluded, I move that we all adjourn until the 'morrow to consider the ramifications of the still under consideration Equestrian Tax Act."

The officials all gave a brief bow, and Celestia moved to the door, Luna standing up from her chair and following after. It was only after the heavy wood doors closed that the faintest sounds of those still at the table conversing and gathering up official papers and documents could be heard in the hall outside.

---*---

The Royal Sisters sat alone in Celestia's favorite sitting room at an elegant cherry wood table, upon which sat a tea set that was now in use. The stillness was punctuated only by the rhythmic ticking of the elegant wall clock and the occasional clinking of porcelain against porcelain. Rays of light fell across portions of the room from the tall glass window, giving all but the more quietly shaded sections of the scene an invitingly radiant warmth.

Barely a word had been spoken by the two alicorns for all the ears of the guards and servants between the start of the hall until the doors to the sitting room were opened and safely closed behind. Now away from prying eyes in the chamber wherein they were now situated, and the maid who had brought the tea just moments ago dismissed with a motion from Princess Luna, the solemn figures had strangely yet to break the silence.

Celestia took her first sip of chamomile, not looking her sister in the eye.

The Princess of the Night raised an eyebrow at her sister from across the table, though Celestia doubtless pretended not to notice.

Luna cleared her throat.

Celestia sipped her tea.

A blue hoof tapped the table surface expectantly.

The Sun Princess admired the view of cherry blossoms visible through the window.

A pointed cough.

Another sip.

"SISTER!" Luna spoke, causing Celestia to spill her tea - the splattering liquid's every drop purposefully caught and returned to within the cup via the Lunar Princess's sparkling blue aura.

The perturbed Sun Princess directed a glare across the table.

Luna smiled mischievously.

Relenting, Celestia returned her cup to its saucer and leveled a regally disapproving look at her sister, though Luna's smile did not falter. "That was rather childish, don't you think?"

"Thou art the one behaving childishly, Sister."

Celestia turned her gaze toward the window once more, a sparrow's twittering audible as it hopped from blossomed branch to branch, its head bobbing every which way. "You want me to admit it then?"

"Indeed, t'wood bring us great pleasure."

Celestia heaved a tired sigh, though its quality was one more of relief than irritation. After a brief pause, she spoke. "You were right, Luna." The white alicorn shifted in her seat a little, now looking down. "I... should not have stayed awake so long last night. The documents could've waited 'til morning."

"Is... that all?" Luna prodded, her expression deadpan.

Celestia bit her lip and cast her sister a wary look.

Luna was unmoved. And a long moment passed. "Dost thou wish us to spell it out for thee?"

Celestia exhaled tiredly through her nose. "...No... Luna... That wont be necessary."

"Good."

The sound of fluttering wings and cheerfully trilling birds emitted softly from outside, but Celestia kept her gaze on her teacup.

"Luna..." she finally said. "I need your help."

The sapphire blue alicorn visibly softened, her turquoise eyes taking on a visible warmth.

"It's all so much, and I was certain I could handle it all but..." the Princess trailed off.

"Sister..." Luna said gently, "We understand that thou wished to spare us much tedium when We had so newly returned."—Celestia lifted her eyes to meet Luna's—"And truly, We appreciate the sentiment. But We are sisters, thou—that is, you and I. Though We are aware that there is much We have yet to comprehend concerning more modern matters..."

Celestia's lips twinged upwards at the edges in a modest smile at that.

The lunar alicorn steeled her gaze and lifted her head, her body becoming rigid.

"BUT, KNOW THAT WE WISH TO ASSIST THEE IN THY DUTIES, WHICH THOU HAST TOILED IN SO LONG ALONE DUE TO THY SIBLING'S INEXCUSABLE FOLLY."

Luna's eyes had closed tightly during her outburst, and she found she hadn't the strength to open them just then.

Some long moments passed, and abruptly The Princess of the Night felt the gentle touch of a wing on her shoulder. "...Luna."

The alicorn looked up at the pony now standing beside her through filled eyes. "We... We regret our actions sorely, Sister." Luna sniffled, choking back a sob. "Please... show us that our trespasses are truly forgiven, and restore to us our share of the responsibilities, and burdens that thou has so unjustly had to carry... all these years..." Luna suddenly covered her face and sobbed into her hooves, holding her breaths inbetween each of her cries in an unconscious attempt to stifle them.

White wings enfolded the Lunar Princess's form, and slowly the sobs diminished... leaving once again no other sound but the rhythmic ticking of the room's clock amidst the solemn silence.

Author's Note:

Incidentally, Celestia really had discussed the trade agreement with Luna and their advisors beforehoof as she'd said, just so you know she wasn't agreeing without thought to avoid admitting she fell asleep. You know meetings. :twilightsheepish:

Please direct your grammar and spelling corrections to PM. Thank you. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 6 )

Beautiful. More sisterly Sisters is always a good thing.

I'd give almost anything for them to cover this topic fully in the show.

9707833
Well, at least it gives the fandom some room for creative expression. :raritywink:

Nice little oneshot

Login or register to comment