• Published 3rd Jul 2019
  • 17,695 Views, 1,917 Comments

Fire and Steel - shirotora



A man finds himself in a strange world in a body he knows very little about. Now, with a little help from his reluctant acquaintance Ember, he must either find a way home, or a reason to stay

  • ...
56
 1,917
 17,695

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: Defecation Meets Oscillation

Smolder was happier than she’d been in a long time. Not only was her brother recovering, but he found a mate. Even better, that mate was Sunflower, and she got to spend the whole night with them both.

They talked and laughed the whole time. She shared what had been going on in the dragon lands. Of course, Garble huffed, claiming he’d be a better emperor, but a hoof to the back of the head courtesy of Sunflower ended that line of stupidity.

Then Garble recited some of his poetry. In front of someone other than Smolder, no less. Yeah, he was definitely in love.

She was so lost in her happy thoughts, she almost didn’t notice the pony standing in front of her door.

“M-miss Smolder?” the mare said, turning to face her.

Smolder looked at her, brow furrowed. “Yeah? That’s me.”

“May we speak in private?” the pony asked. “It’s very important.”

Smolder hesitated. This was rather strange, even for a pony. “Sure. I guess. But make it quick. I have to meet my friends.”

Smolder opened the door and stepped inside her suite, leaving the door open for the pony to follow.

The moment the door clicked shut, there was a flash of green and a black chitinous form latched onto her from behind, hooves wrapping around her, pinning her arms to her side and her wings to her back.

Smolder reacted immediately. Her legs tensed, channeling magic into them, ready to leap up and-

“I’m so, so sorry.”

Smolder froze. She knew that voice. “Occelus?”

“I thought you were dead, and it was all my fault.”

Smolder felt tears on her back.

“I tried to stop them. I tried to convince father to heal you, but he said... he said it would be better if you died.”

Smolder relaxed, letting out a breath. “It wasn’t your fault. Your father and Nergal are the ones that did that to me. You did everything you could.”

Occelus loosened her grip. “But it wasn’t enough.”

Smolder twisted around in Occelus’ grip to face the changeling. “What do you mean ‘it wasn’t enough’? What the heck else could you have possibly done? Fought your father, all his minions, and a shadow monster?”

Smolder sighed. “Look. You took care of me while I was being held prisoner. That was as much as you could have done.”

Occelus pulled away. “I still wish I could have done more, but at least I can do something now. The queen is invading today, right after the wedding, and father is planning to kill you and your friends during the chaos. Nergal left him a book with all kinds of weird spells and stuff. He plans on using it to summon something to kill you. He thinks you’re a threat.”

Smolder nodded. “Alright. Let’s go find Ember and Luke. They need to know, too.”

Occelus swallowed her nerves and nodded before green flame washed across her body, once again putting her in the guise of a pony.

“Alright. Let’s go.”


When I left the meeting, I went to look for Ember. I needed to tell her what was happening.

A part of me wanted to go find ‘Cadence’ and cave her face in, but I wasn’t sure these changelings actually reverted back when knocked out. It was likely they didn’t. After all, if they ever had to sleep beside a replaced pony’s lover, it wouldn’t do to suddenly turn ugly.

It had to wait until Twilight returned with the real Cadence.

Damn it, I hate this.

After a bit, I found my way to our suite, where I felt Ember and Smolder waiting inside.

I opened the door and walked inside. “Honey, I’m... home.”

I stared at the couch where a third occupant sat. An occupant whose aura I couldn’t sense.

“Luke, it’s okay,” Smolder assured me. “She’s a friend. This is Occelus.”

I looked at the changeling on the couch. I could see the fear written on her face. I walked over to her and knelt down.

“So... you’re the one that took care of Smolder?”

The changeling nodded.

I sighed, and leaned forward to pull her into a hug. “Thank you.”

That close, I could actually feel her aura, faintly. She felt like shock and relief.

I pulled away and looked her in the eyes. “So, I guess it this means they already know about the impending invasion?”

She blinked. “H-how...”

“My friend is psychic,” I said.

“Your friend? The dragon that’s recovering in the servants’ quarters? The one that’s dating a pony?” Occelus asked.

I chuckled. “No, the one that looks like a green cat with two tails.”

“You mean one of those weird animals the Element Bearers brought? I am so confused,” Occelus admitted.

“Yeah, they aren’t any more animals than Luke, here,” Ember explained. “So, I take it that’s what you guys were talking about?”

I nodded. “Yeah. We have a plan. When the fighting starts, Leo and the others are going to lead ponies to safety. Ember, you’re going to stay here and protect the residential wing. Smolder, you get to the hospital and keep it safe. I’m going to be going to the university.”

I looked at Occelus, wondering what to do about her. “What about you? I won’t expect you to help us, but if you help your... uh... pack? Hive? Whatever, if you help them, you’ll be the enemy.”

Occelus bit her lip, thinking. “I... I can’t help them, but I can’t fight them, either. I don’t know what to do.”

“Come with us,” Smolder offered. “I get that you don’t want to fight them, but if you come back to New Dragonia with us you won’t have to help them, either.”

Occelus looked torn by that. “I... I can’t just abandon my family. They need me. They need someling to try to get them off this path they’re on.”

I sighed. “Then you better find somewhere to hunker down. Leave the city if you can.”

Occelus nodded. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry. My father wouldn’t listen to reason. I just hope he realizes Nergal isn’t the ally we need.”

“I hope so, too. Good luck, kid. And remember, you can always come visit,” I said.

Smolder giggled. “Yeah, our place is hard to miss. It’s a massive castle on top of a volcano.”

Occelus blinked, dumbly. “You... you have a castle, now?”

Ember gave a smug grin. “Darn right, we do.”


At last, it was time for the wedding to begin.

As soon as we entered, I nearly laughed. Leo and the others were all tucked away throughout the room, hidden behind curtains, pedestals, and even in the rafters. I didn’t even need my aura sense to see Zann’s tail poking out. How did no one see them?

Smolder was already heading to the Hospital, being slightly slower than me and having three times as far to go. Plus, she was under no obligation to attend the ceremony.

As for Ember and I, we were beside an open window, ready to leave at a moment’s notice. The ceremony had only just begun when the doors slammed open and a bedraggled Twilight Sparkle stormed in.

She was followed shortly by a second Cadence. Then, as the fake decided to shed her disguise - something I felt the urge to berate her for, the dumbass - Ember and I leaned back and toppled out the window.

Ember spread her wings and banked around to head to the servant’s entrance while I landed, much to the shock of the guard.

“Sound the alarm, we’re under attack,”I shouted, pointing up at the dome where a cloud of changelings were now hammering.

I didn’t wait to see what they would do. I took off, running into the city just as the shield shattered.

Changelings started to dive into the city, enveloped incocoons of green flame. I formed a couple aura spheres and threw them into the air. The changelings would have been able to dodge them easily enough, but they exploded in a burst of smaller spheres, each about the size of a gumball, when they got near.

I called that one my ‘flak sphere’.

I threw a few more, drawing the attention of several of the descending changelings. They charged me, straight on. I laughed. That was a very bad strategy, as they learned when I leaped up and swatted them from the sky.

Several were already on the ground and chasing down ponies. I rounded a corner and saw a mare that hadn’t even realized what was going on until a pony got hit by what I was hoping was a stun spell.

When I saw a changeling charging the hapless mare, I tried to get to her, but I could already tell I wouldn’t get there in time. I tried to call out for her to move, but she just stared blankly up at the changeling.

And then pressed the edge of the table down, causing the other end to shoot up and uppercut the bug right on the chin before twisting around and bucking the table right at him and proceeding to kick the ever loving shit out of it.

I think she’s got this, I thought to myself as I took off toward the university.


Ember landed in front of the servant’s entrance and started barking orders at the guards. “You two, Canterlot is being attacked. Get your buddies and barricade every way in but this one.”

They looked at her skeptically. One was about to speak, but the massive, impenetrable shield suddenly shattering quieted any argument as he rushed off to get reinforcements. Ember, meanwhile, started laying an enchantment into the doorway.

“This will strip away any illusion or transformation spells,” she explained. “Anything that comes through that looks like an ugly bug pony, kill it.”

“Y-yes ma’am,” the guard said.

“Good. Now, I’ll make sure they have someone to play with,” Ember said with a vicious grin before shooting off into the sky.

“Hey, cockroaches!” she shouted. “Who want’s to play catch?”

She formed a ball of fire in her hands and threw it at the nearest changeling. It struck him on the side, burning his wing, before zipping toward the next.

While her little fireball bounced from changeling to changeling, Ember held out a claw and loosed a bolt of lightning into the swarm.

“Come get some!”


Smolder fished around in her bag. “Come on. Where is it?”

Nearby ponies wouldn’t have even noticed if not for that fact that her arm was buried up to her shoulder in a bag that shouldn’t have even been able to go to her elbow.

She groaned as she pulled her arm out and set the bag down before climbing head first into it until only her legs and tail were sticking out. “Oh, might need that.” a large box, easily four times bigger than the bag, came flying out. “And that.” Some kind of rod came next. “Ah! There you are!”

She pulled herself out of the bag, holding a pair of goggles. “Alright. Let’s see if these bad boys work.”

She put them on and looked around. Everyone around had a pale blue glow to them.

Rather, almost everyone.

She held out a claw to one pony that wasn’t glowing and she was suddenly enveloped in green fire, leaving a changeling behind.

Somepony screamed, “She just mutated that poor mare!”

Smolder rolled her eyes. “No I didn’t. She’s a changeling. I just took her disguise away.”

“Oh... That makes sense,” The mare said before screaming again. “It’s a changeling! Wait, what’s a changeling?”

Smolder was actually glad that the shield chose that time to shatter.


Occelus made her way back to where her father was staying. She had to convince him to stop this.

As she made her way through the shop they had commandeered, she nodded to the changeling at the counter and made her way into the basement.

“Father?” Occelus called.

“Ah, welcome back,” her father greeted. “Anything to report?”

Occelus shook her head. “No, sir. The ponies are still unaware, as is the queen.”

“Good, good... and the dragons?” her father gave her a pointed stare. “I take it you went to see them?”

“I... yes sir,” she admitted, hanging her head. “I’m sorry. I just... I hate what we’re having to do.”

Her father sighed. “I know, but it must be done.”

“Does it, though?” Occelus asked. “The dragons have been accepted, and even invited to the wedding. Surely if we step in and stop the invasion we can convince the ponies we’re good and they’d feed us willingly.”

“We can’t do that,” he said.

“Why not?!” she demanded. “I’ve offered so many alternatives, why can’t we do any of them.”

Her father turned to look at her, a dark look in his eyes. “Because I need this invasion to happen. The queen needs to be seen to fail and die at the hooves of the ponies.”

Occelus gasped. “Die?! When did we decide she needed to die?”

Her father turned away. “Before I even suggested she invade Equestria.”

Author's Note:

Because I had to include this piece of classic epicness

I considered the sequel, but figured that would have been too much. Just know, as far as I'm concerned, somewhere out there, this is also happening

PreviousChapters Next