• Published 3rd Jul 2019
  • 17,733 Views, 1,917 Comments

Fire and Steel - shirotora



A man finds himself in a strange world in a body he knows very little about. Now, with a little help from his reluctant acquaintance Ember, he must either find a way home, or a reason to stay

  • ...
56
 1,917
 17,733

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46: Making Plans

Author's Note:

Another one, out so soon? Yeah, blame Symphonicdysonince for publishing his chapters as soon as they're edited. The damn slave driver.

Ember walked through the hallways of the palace. She still got confused about where she was in the twisting, winding corridors, but the palace staff were more than willing to point her in the right direction.

After a bit of walking, she saw Cadence coming from the other way, looking far more irritated than Ember had even thought her capable.

“Hey, Cadence, you okay?” Ember asked.

Cadence stumbled to a stop, looking at Ember in surprise. “Oh... hi... Uh, sorry, I can’t talk, I’m far too busy. We’ll catch up later, ‘kay, bye!”

Ember just stared after her, confused. “That was weird.”

She shook her head. She’d figure out what that was about later. She had other stuff to deal with.

At least she figured that if Cadence had come from the opposite direction she was probably going the right way.

After walking a very short distance further, she saw yet another irritated pony. Twilight Sparkle came storming down the hall, mumbling under her breath and Ember had to wonder if it might have been better to come back later.

Twilight didn’t even seem to notice her, but Ember did hear her mumbling something about Cadence, so Ember figured the issue must have been between them.

If this is how these ‘weddings’ usually go, the ponies can keep them.

Ember tried to push that from her mind and focus on the task ahead of her. She continued on, wary of any other sour ponies she might come across, but thankfully found none.

She finally found what she was looking for, the royal kitchens.

She opened the door and peeked inside. “Hey, Applejack? You in here?”

“Oh, why howdy, your highness. What can Ah do ya for?” Applejack asked as she worked over a mixing bowl. “Come to check on the menu?”

“Nah, not that. I’m sure whatever you cook will be fine,” Ember said. “I was actually wanting to talk to you about something else entirely.”

“You mind talkin’ while Ah work?” AJ asked. “Ah got a lot to do, but Ah can do both.”

“Sure. So, Luke and I had an idea that might help dragons and ponies become closer, while also helping dragons learn to be nicer,” Ember said.

“That sounds great. What’s the plan?” Applejack asked.

“Well, we were hoping we could find pony families that would be willing to take in young dragons, around Spike’s age, to help teach them all about friendship and stuff. It would be temporary, about a season to a month, at most, and we were hoping you would be willing to volunteer.”

“You want me to take in a dragon young’un?” Applejack paused in her work, giving the dragon empress her full attention.

Ember nodded. “Spike said you’re a kind, caring pony, but you also know how to be tough and firm. That’s exactly what we’re looking for. We were going to ask Sunflower, but she’s already taken in a baby dragon.”

“That sounds like a mighty fine plan,” Applejack said, getting back to work. “Ah’ll admit, Ah like the idea of helpin’ a young dragon grow up to be a fine, upstandin’ creature. Ah’m in. After the weddin’ come find me and we’ll hash out the details. ‘Bout when can we be expectin’ the tyke?”

“It won’t be for several moons,” Ember admitted. “We’re only just starting to set things up. Celestia just felt it was a good idea to make sure we can get ponies to agree to it, first. You know how some ponies see us, and for good reason, I admit.”

Applejack scoffed. “Nonsense. Sure, there may be a few more rotten apples in your bushel, but Ah’ve already met plenty of fine dragons and heard ‘bout plenty more.”

“Thanks Applejack,” Ember said.


As fun as it was to see everyone’s reaction to me wearing a crown, sitting on a throne, I was glad to be able to toss that damn thing back in a bag. Wearing a large ring of metal is just as uncomfortable as it sounds.

I was about to leave when I noticed a note on the table written in English.

Luke, we need to discuss our strategy for the upcoming invasion. Come to our suite as soon as possible.

Yomega

I sighed. “No rest for the weary, I suppose.”

I headed out, quickly found their rooms, and knocked on the door.

Yomega answered and smiled up at me.

"Ah, Luke!" He said as he stepped back into the room, bowing. "We are honored you could find the time to meet with us, your highness." The rest followed his example, bowing to me.

I held back a groan. "I’m really hoping you guys are just making a well rehearsed joke. You guys don't need to do that stuff with me, we're all friends. Right?"

"Absolutely, your majesty!" Zann said, cheerfully bouncing.

I felt the amusement coming from him, Leo, Yomega, and Lulu. At least those four were just teasing me.

"You certainly rose through the ranks quickly," Leo said, quickly moving things along.

"Well," I cleared my throat, "that was kinda our plan. Ember's and mine, I mean."

"Speaking of plans," Yomega gestured for us to follow into the living room, "we need to go over our own for tomorrow."

Abes floated a table and tea set over to the largest couch in the suite, practically teasing me with his mastery of a technique I was still not very good with. While Lulu and Villhiem made tea, the others moved onto the couch, while Yomega practically shoved me into a chair.

Villhiem served the tea and I got the impression they were waiting for me to drink first. I groaned internally, again, and took a sip, hoping it was because of the tea and not my title.

Now with our refreshments, Yomega began. "So, firstly, you should know that we are going to be fighting tomorrow. Not with Twilight and the others, but out in the city."

"Finally abandoning protecting the timeline?" I asked, not really expecting it to be true.

"Nope,” Leo said.

"We only know what happens in the show, so we know that the Element Bearers will be fine," Abes said. "So we are planning on lending our aid out in the city itself."

"Basically, we're going to rescue and protect as many ponies as we can until the 'ling's are kicked out of town," Vince explained.

"If anything, we're going to maintain what we can until Twilight ascends. After that, we promise we'll come clean," Cy added.

I sighed. "You'd better. I don't know if you'll even make it that far, though. All it takes is for one summoner to summon in one of you guys, and it's all over."

"Got that covered!" Zann chirped. "See if you can get a copy of Moon Dancer's reports on us, it'll explain it in better detail, but they believe us to be naturalized summons."

"To be fair, we were planning on mucking with this one anyways,” Yomega admitted. “This ‘fighting in the streets’ plan is the only one we have left. Anything else ran the risk of the Queen slinking away and coming back with a better strategy, or couldn't be completed due to outside circumstances." He gestured to Abes. "His personal project was the closest we had to resolving this early, but..."

Abes sighed. "You couldn't make it past those crystals in the cave. I was going to rescue Cadence, then have Luna quietly capture the Queen, but I couldn't make it past a different cluster of crystals that were further in than yours." Abes turned to address the rest of us. "So, I got Luke to go in and see if he could rescue her instead."

I sighed, taking another sip of his tea to keep myself from shuddering at the memory. "I couldn't even get as far as you did. What's stopping Lulu or Villhiem from going in?"

Yomega grimaced. "Not enough time. The Queen's army is in place, all she'd have to do is drop the shield in the middle of the night and the city will be taken in its sleep. The ponies will have a better chance to fight back during the day. So!" He set his cup back down and poured himself another cup before he continued. "Is there somewhere in the city, or castle that you feel is important for you to protect?"

I thought about it for a moment. Obviously, there’s my egg, but what other places were there that could hold a lot of ponies, can be easily protected, and would have supplies for any wounded? "If I can convince Garble to look after our egg while we're at the ceremony, then we can help protect either that wing of the castle, or the hospital. Where will you be going?"

Abes unfolded a map of the city while Luu started explaining. "We'll be pairing up and helping anywhere we can. We'll focus on guiding ponies to the more well defended areas, like the university and the hospital. It's not a perfect plan..." Lulu finished uncertainly.

"But it's the best we got,” Yomega finished. “Conner and Abes will be going here, Zann and Lulu here, Villhiem and the Duo here, and Leo and I over here." He pointed out different districts of the city as he spoke. "We're going to be focusing on helping ponies, not fighting 'lings."

"That's a lot of city for you guys to cover," I said with a sigh. So much for not focusing on fighting. “If Ember, Smolder and I split up, we can hold the suites around Garble, the hospital, and the University. Could you guys try to guide ponies there?” I slumped back in my chair slightly, brushing a paw down my face in frustration. “I don’t know how many ponies we’ll be able to shelter and protect, though.”

This was far from a good plan, but I couldn’t think of a better one.

Some Emperor I am. Can’t even think of a plan.

"I don't expect us to make a significant difference in the battle." Yomega sighed, clearly thinking along the same lines as me. "But, if we can help save even one innocent pony who wouldn't have otherwise survived, then that'll be enough."

The group fell into silence, frustration, anger, and even helplessness started filling the room.

Leo, apparently, had enough of that and topped off our cups and raised hers in a toast. "To the wedding of our time, and one hell of a bachelor party."

We all clinked our glasses in toast and drank.

I had to admit, I had been trying to figure out what kind of tea this was the whole time. I’ve tried dozens upon dozens of teas, but this one was new.

“This is really good tea," I said, wondering where they got it.

PreviousChapters Next