• Published 3rd Jul 2019
  • 17,710 Views, 1,917 Comments

Fire and Steel - shirotora



A man finds himself in a strange world in a body he knows very little about. Now, with a little help from his reluctant acquaintance Ember, he must either find a way home, or a reason to stay

  • ...
56
 1,917
 17,710

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45: The Wedding Party Starts

Author's Note:

Le Gasp! Another chapter, so soon?! Yeah, don't get too used to it. This is being released to coincide with its corresponding chapter on Equestrian Eeveelution

Apparently, the pack was going to be arriving that afternoon. I was actually glad for that, as I had purposely kept my royal title from them. I couldn’t wait to see the looks on their faces.

“Where the heck are the crowns?” I asked Ember.

“How should I know? You packed them, didn’t you?” Ember asked.

“Yeah, but... I forget which bag,” I grumbled.

Ember rolled her eyes. “I thought you marked them.”

I blinked, dumbly. “Oh... right.”

Another neat little trick I learned I could do was to ‘mark’ something with my aura. Then, I could just feel it out. It was rather faint, though, so its range was very limited, but it could be helpful when, say, searching bags for something essential.

I felt a few marks. Two were coming from one bag so I quickly opened it. “Nope, those are the swords.” I chucked the sheathed blades onto the bed. They were part of our wedding outfits. They were only for looks, but they added something quite regal, in my opinion.

“Ah, here they are,” I pulled two circlets from another bag, one gold with a large sapphire set on the brow that I tossed to Ember, and one silver with a matching ruby that I set on my head. “Are we wearing anything else?”

“Do you want to?” Ember asked.

“Not really.”

“Then no.”

“Alright, then. Shall we?” I asked, offering my arm.

Ember chuckled, but stood and accepted. “We shall.”

We stopped beside the crib with our egg and gave it a quick kiss.

“No hatching while we’re gone.”

We stepped into the hallway and Ember turned to the guard. “If anything happens to our egg while we’re gone, I’ll hang you from the castle walls... all of them.”

The guard swallowed, hard, but saluted.

We still had a little while before we were to meet the princesses, so we decided to see how Smolder and Garble were doing. We started for the lower suites, where we were told Garble was staying.

We finally made it to the right room and gave a quick knock.

“Buzz off!” came a familiar voice.

Me and Ember grinned at each other and we both knocked incessantly.

“Unless you have a tray full of gems, I swear I’ll burn your mane!” his voice came again as an angry aura came closer.

The door was flung open to reveal Garble in a wheelchair looking around at pony height. His eyes widened when he realized it wasn’t ponies at his door.

“Too bad we don’t have manes,” Ember quipped.

“Oh, great. It’s you two,” Garble grumbled as he wheeled back to let us in.

“Is that any way to talk to your rulers,” Ember mock-scolded.

Garble scoffed. “Yeah, well, we aren’t in Drago-topia, or whatever.”

“How are you feeling?” I asked as we stepped inside. “You recovering alright?”

Garble gave me a sidelong glare but sighed. “Yeah, I’m getting stronger every day. Pretty soon I’ll be ready to kick your tail.”

“You know that’ll never happen, right?” came a voice I wasn’t expecting.

“Sunflower!” Ember greeted our pony friend with a smile. “I wasn’t expecting to see you here.”

“This is my apartment,” she said.

I cocked an eyebrow. “We were told it was Garble’s apartment.”

She grinned. “It is.”

Smolder jumped up from the couch and walked over to stand beside Garble, giggling. “Go ahead, Gargar, tell them.”

Sunflower walked up to his other side. “Yeah, Gargar, tell them.”

I felt my jaw drop. The emotions I felt... Embarrassment, anger, shame, but also...

“Holy shit... Garble... You’re dating a pony?!” I barely managed the focus to say it.

“N-no!” Garble said, quickly. “I mean... Sunflower isn’t just some namby pamby pony, okay! She’s practically a dragon, just in a pony body!”

“Wait, Sunflower, you actually like this guy?” Ember asked.

Sunflower shrugged. “After smacking him around a little to make him stop being a whiny little foal, he’s actually really sweet.”

“Told ya,” Smolder said with a triumphant smirk.

I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Hey, don’t laugh, mutt,” Garble growled.

“No, no. I’m not laughing at you. I’m laughing because it makes sense,” I said. “Of course you’d like Sunflower. She’s awesome, and not afraid to get her hooves dirty.”

“Darn right she is,” Garble said. “Besides, she’s been showing me that ponies aren’t as sissy as I thought. Well, some of them, anyway. Most of them are totally sissy, but some are actually alright.”

“Well,” Ember said, giving him a firm slap on the back. “I’m proud of you. You’re starting to see that ponies have plenty to offer, I take it.”

Garble goaned. “Yeah, sure. Ponies have some cool stuff. Especially the gems.”

Ember sighed with a small smile. “Yeah... especially the emeralds. They’re the best I’ve ever had.”

“Nah, the aquamarines are the best,” Garble insisted.

Ember smirked. “Ah, a sweet tooth, huh? Well, I’m glad you’re doing better, but we have to get going. The princesses are expecting us.”

“I’m going to stay here,” Smolder said.

“Of course,” Ember replied.

“I’m glad you’re doing better, Garble,” I said.

Garble scoffed. “Yeah, well, thanks for saving me. I guess I owe you one. I’m still not calling you ‘your highness’ or anything.” I could tell that he was putting on a show of it. I could feel his gratitude.

As we headed out the door, I called back, “That’s cool. I banged your sister.”

“Wait, what?!”


We found Celestia in the throne room, talking to one of her aides. When she saw us, she dismissed them and greeted us. “So glad you could make it. The political guests have arrived and will be welcomed soon. Seeing as you are not only the only foreign delegates here for the wedding, but also of a newly refounded nation, I would like you to be present.”

“Uh... sure,” Ember said. “Where should we stand?”

Celestia smiled serenely, but I felt a bit of mischief. “Actually, seeing as you are royalty, you would be sitting on wooden thrones at the base of the dias.”

As she said that, a pair of unicorns brought in two very ornate wooden chairs and set them on the floor, one to the right, the other to the left.

“You’re kidding me?” Ember said, flatly.

“Trust me, it’s best you get used to it,” Celestia said. “No matter how you choose to rule, you will find yourself in situations in which you will be uncomfortable. Besides, this will help your legitimacy. If the nobles see that I accept you as fellow rulers of an allied land, they will more readily accept you. You will need that for your ‘exchange program’ idea.”

“She has a point,” I said, and with great reluctance, I sat down.

Ember and Celestia followed suit, Celestia remarking, “Normally it’s considered proper to wait for the local ruler to sit, first.”

“Ah, sorry,” I said with an apologetic smile.

I knew she wasn’t offended. Her comment was for the future, in more public settings.

The court herald took his place beside the doors. “Now announcing Prince Blueblood, Regent of Canterlot.”

Blue walked in. “Good afternoon, Auntie,” he said. “I’m glad I could make it.”

“Hello, my dear nephew,” Celestia greeted. “How have the trade routes to Abyssinia been coming along?”

“Fantastic,” he replied. “We stand to come out on top, for certain.”

This was more of a formality than anything. It was customary for each pony of nobility to be personally greeted by the princess, but Blue Blood lived there, so it was just a show. Those waiting outside couldn’t hear, thanks to a spell, so as long as they saw that he was being greeted, that was enough.

“You know, miss Rarity will be coming,” I said. “Are you finally going to actually summon up the courage to speak to her and apologize for how you acted at the gala? I have a feeling you two might actually hit it off if you can get past that.”

“I have to agree,” Celestia said.

“I...” he winced, his nervousness almost making me queasy. “We shall see.”

Celestia sighed. “Very well. I will see you at dinner.”

“Thank you, auntie.” He gave a quick bow and exited through a side door.

“Now announcing Lord Wall Street, Regent of Manehattan,” announced the herald.

Lord Wall Street? I hate him already.

As he entered, he looked surprised to see us, but Celestia quickly introduced us. “May I formally present you to Empress Ember and Emperor Luke of New Dragonia.”

Turned out he wasn’t so bad.

The mayor of Bitsburg, on the other hand, was put on my hit list within seconds.

Most of the nobility was actually rather nice. They were genuinely curious about these creatures sitting on thrones at the base of the dias, such a prestigious position. Most were interested in the new trade possibilities, especially when they found out how rich the dragon lands were in metals.

Metal grew in the dragon lands the way gems grew in Equestria. Metals like copper, aluminum and silver that were rare in Equestria were plentiful back home, and many were excited about that. Even iron, the most common type of metal in Equestria wasn’t common enough to meet the demand.

Finally, I saw a rabble of decidedly non-noble ponies walking into the throne room.

"Now announcing Ladies Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie!" the herald announced.

I could already see the looks of confusion on most of the pack’s faces... except for Zann and surprisingly Lulu. Lulu was surprised for a second, but that quickly gave way to excitement. Zann, on the other hand, was just excited.

"May I formally present you to Empress Ember and Emperor Luke of New Dragonia.”

Leo had that face she got when she wanted to make a joke but knew it was a bad time. I loved it.

"They will be attending the wedding as royal guests," Celestia continued. "While this doesn't affect most of your duties, I must inform two of you of necessary changes. Applejack, you will be working alongside the castle staff and will be required to supply a more varied selection of dishes to accommodate our guests. Rarity, I trust that you will be up to the task of supplying our guests with formal attire for the event?"

"I would be honored, your highnesses!" Rarity gave a bow, radiating giddiness.

"If it's all the same," Ember spoke up, "we can make do with our current selection."

"Very well. If you change your mind, please know that the offer remains open?" Celestia said, questioningly, glancing at Rarity, who was practically vibrating with excitement. "As much as I'm sure you would all love to catch up with each other, I'm afraid that there is much yet to do before the rehearsal tomorrow."

"We'll talk later tonight?" I said, focusing on the pack.

<<Absolutely.>> Lulu accepted. <<Where are you staying?>>

"We have our own royal suite. I'm sure Abes already knows where it is."

<<I do.>> he said.

<<Until later, then.>> Cy said as he bowed, prompting the rest to do the same.

And with that, they left to attend their duties.

When we were alone again, Celestia spoke up, with that smile that screamed ‘troll’. “So, how was it?”

“Not as bad as I was expecting,” Ember said.

“Yeah, most of them were actually rather pleasant,” I added.

Celestia chuckled. “Yes, most ponies believe the nobility are all a bunch of stuffy, humorless jerks. While the first two are quite accurate, most are good ponies.”

“Except that guy from Bitsburg,” Ember said. “I wouldn’t mind singing his fur off.”

God, I love her.


“Are you serious?” Lemon Meringue asked, surprised.

“My sister told me,” Two Step replied. “The dragons’ Empress is here for the wedding. I have to admit, I never thought the dragons would civilize, but I’m glad she’s here.”

“What about that dog that was with her? Her... bodyguard?” Lemon asked.

“Husband, actually. He’s the Emperor. He’s here, too, as well as the other dragon, the orange one,” Two Step corrected.

“The orange one?” Lemon asked.

“Yeah, the one with the horns that go up and the cute laugh,” Two said. “Anyway, I have to get going. I’ll talk to you next week.”

“Alright, I’ll see you then,” Lemon said as she walked her friend to the door, locking the door behind her and flipping the open sign to ‘closed’.

She whistled as she headed for the back. As soon as she was out of sight of any possible passers by, she slumped to the ground, a tear falling down her cheek.

“Smolder, you’re alive... thank goodness.”

PreviousChapters Next