• Published 26th Jun 2019
  • 459 Views, 3 Comments

Rise of the Element Gang, Book 2: Friendship Adventures - Power of Six



New heroes, new friends, new adventures. Join Dusk and the Element Gang as they learn about the true meaning of friendship.

  • ...
2
 3
 459

Chapter 27: The Best Night Ever

Chapter 27: The Best Night Ever

I stood in front of a mirror in a changing room at the Carousel Boutique, buttoning up the black with blue pinstripes suit that Rarity had made me all the way back in December. I pulled up my blue tie, adjusting it so that it was straight against my white shirt. My attention was then dragged to my fellow stallions as they spoke to each other, getting fully dressed in the tuxes that Rarity also made for them.

“Well, boys,” Shield said, dressed in his tux, “tonight’s the big night!”

“I still can’t believe it.” Dog said as he adjusted his brooch with his magic. “For the first time in our lives, we’re goin’ to the Grand Gallopin’ Gala!”

“Yeah, and I’m going to it with a date.” Leon said, using his magic to adjust his tie. “Just like how I imagined my first time at the Gala.”

“Date? You and Fluttershy are just going to see the garden.” Shield said with a chuckle.

“Hey, it still counts.” Leon told him. “Besides all the animals, it’ll just be me and Flutters, all alone. If I play my card right, I might finally get myself a girlfriend.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Shield shrugged it off before he spoke to me. “Hey, Dusk! We’re gonna meet up with the girls outside. Ya coming?”

“You guys go on ahead.” I told them. “I’ll be right out.”

“Okay. Come on, boys!” Shield said as he, Dog, and Leon exited the room.

Looking back at the mirror, I thought the scroll on my lapel looked a little out of place, so I adjusted it. Then thought it was better where it was and adjusted it again. Gaining a second thought, it actually looked smarter before and changed it once more. Still feeling the rising nerves in the pit of my stomach, I breathed deeply and looked myself over one more time.

This was it. The big night that we’d all been waiting for. The night of the Grand Galloping Gala in Canterlot. The night that, hopefully, I would be sharing a dance with the mare of my dreams. The girls were all getting ready in their own changing room, putting on make-up, styling their manes, washing their hair, and putting on their gowns. I had just put on my suit and, after I make-shift my tail to look a bit less scruffy, I combed my mane as best I could and put on my hat. I was as ready as I would ever be. I also had a lilac in my front pocket, which I intended to give to Twilight. Rarity told me it would be a wonderfully romantic gesture and so far she hadn't steered me wrong.

Despite my fear, I couldn’t help but also feel excited by the whole thing. Perhaps the girl’s ecstatic attitude for the Gala was starting to rub off on me or perhaps it was to do with the fact that, until I danced with Twilight, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do at the Gala until I got there and even then I wouldn’t have a clue. Either way, I was going to make sure that I enjoyed the night and made the most of it. I certainly wouldn’t be going back any day soon, so I might as well.

Just as I was making sure my hat looked alright, I jumped as there was a knock on the door. Collecting myself, but not looking away from the mirror, I declared “It’s fine, come in.”

I heard it open and then Twilight's voice. “We’re all ready to get going, Dusk. Are you set?”

“Yes, let me just…” I straightened it up one more time and nodded. “Yes, I’m ready to…” My words caught in my throat as I beheld Twilight in her gown.

This was the first time I’d seen Twilight in her dress and I was completely at a loss for words. The main flowing body of her gown was a midnight blue, decorated with bright white and aqua blue stars at the hem that twinkled in the night. The saddle that held the dress in place was also decorated in the same way, as were the ice-blue shoes that she wore on her hooves. Another of these stars was being worn in her ear, shining as brightly as her radiant purple eyes. The whole image made it seem as if she had fallen down from the night sky, a pony from the heavens come to grace Equestria with her enchanting presence.

“Um, Dusk?” Her voice brought me back to reality, where I realized that I had been openly staring at her. She herself was now blushing from my open staring.

“I, um… I… sorry, Twi.” I mumbled, feeling like an idiot.

“It’s okay.” She turned on the spot and looked shyly at me. “How do I look?”

“Well, um… you…” As usual, I was embarrassed to provide comment on this kind of thing, but I still said that first thing that had come to mind. “Twilight, you look…incredible.”

Her blush deepened, as did mine, but she still smiled. “Thank you and you look…very handsome yourself.”

“You…you think so?” I hadn’t expected this at all.

“You certainly do and…well, yes.” she affirmed with a nervous laugh. She seemed too embarrassed to say anymore, as was I. “So…shall we go?”

“Um, yeah… Good idea.” Scolding myself for how stupid I had been there, but still reveling in the fact she thought I was handsome, I walked with her down the stairs. “Oh, I almost forgot… here.” I pulled out the lilac and put it behind her other ear.

“Oh, Dusk, it’s lovely.” She glanced at it and gazed at me warmly. “Thank you. I’ll wear it for the whole evening.”

“That means a lot to me.” I said sincerely, feeling a little more confident now. “Shall we?”

“We shall.” she responded smartly, giggling as we arrived at the bottom of the stairs.

We reached the main entrance of the Boutique, where the girls and guys were all waiting and ready to go. The guys looked stylish in their tuxes and the girls all looked amazing in their individually styled gowns, but in my opinion, Twilight was the best of them all, though I didn't dare say this out loud. I faced them all and bowed, doing my best to step into the role of the gentlecolt Rarity so often referred to me as. If we were going to an event in Canterlot, I may as well behave by Canterlot standards.

“Good evening, ladies. May I say you are all looking quite resplendent tonight?” There was the odd murmur of thanks and Pinkie cried out “Sure!” in her shrill voice, Twilight blushing once more. “The Gala awaits you all. If you would follow me, I shall escort you to the carriage.”

Holding the door open for them, I let the girls step into the carriage, along with Leon. Then me, Shield, and Dog crossed around to the front and attached ourselves to the harness. We would be pulling the carriage, along with one other stallion, as the mice that Twilight had turned into “horses” had been chased away by Rarity’s cat. This was a much more practical solution anyway. Spike sat in the driver's seat, holding onto reigns, and dressed in a small black tuxedo with a red bow-tie.

“Ready, bro?” Spike asked.

“When you are, my scaley friend.” At a light tap of the reigns, me and the others set off towards the shining lights of Canterlot.

On the way, Spike talked about how he had planned an insider’s tour of Canterlot, mentioning how he would show Applejack and Dog the golden apple tree owned by Princess Celestia, Rarity the crown jewels, and Pinkie his favorite donut shop. He would have liked to spend the evening with me, his fellow assistant, but tonight was about what I could do at the Gala, what I would see. So when Spike asked where I would like to go, I only responded with:

“Surprise me.”

“Then let’s get moving!” He gave a hard flick of the reigns, making a sharp pain rise in my hindquarters.

“Hey!” Shield, Dog and the other stallion said with anger.

“Oops, sorry…” Spike said nervously.

“It’s fine.” I assured, my eyes watering. “Leave it, it’s not worth it.” I added to the other stallion, who was glaring at Spike.

“If he wasn’t friends with my neighbor, Rarity…” he grumbled, but didn’t finish.

“You know, seeing Dash in a dress like that…” Shield said with a smile, looking up at the sky. “She’s actually pretty hot.”

“What’d ya say?” Dog asked, raising a brow at Shield.

“I’m just saying.” Shield said, keeping his smile. “Dash is pretty awesome, but in that dress of hers, she’s totally a fox.”

“Fox?” I said with an amused chuckle.

Dog laughed a little before he said “Shield’s got a crush on Rainbow Dash!”

“Hey, not so loud!” Shield retorted, a blush forming on his cheeks.

“Don’t worry, Shield.” I assured him, hearing Rainbow talking with the rest of the girls. “I’m sure that Rainbow Dash can’t hear us.”

“Oh, good.” He sighed in relief. “Because let it be known that I don’t have a crush on Rainbow Dash! I just think she looks good in that dress.”

“Whatever ya say, Shield.” Dog said as he looked forward. “Whatever ya say.”

We reached Canterlot as the stars lit up the sky, though they were drowned out from the lights of the Gala. Somehow, the royal city looked even more majestic at night, sparkling like a diamond from the bright lights that shone against the white stone. We joined the line of other carriages bearing our own guests. Once we reached the drop-off point, the other stallion offered to bring around the carriage for me while I went inside.

“You sure you don’t need help?” I offered as me, Shield, and Dog released ourselves.

“Nah, I’m fine. You go in and have a great time with your friends.” he offered, smiling as he took the carriage around the back. Nice guy. I thought, turning to face the girls who had all stepped out of the carriage.

“Wow! You all look…amazing!” Spike marveled.

We, however, were all looking in the direction of the Gala, transfixed by the beauty of it. “I can’t believe we're finally here. With all that we've imagined, the reality of this night is sure to make this… The Best Night Ever!”

At Twilight’s declaration, we all burst into song.

At the gala,

At the gala;

Fluttershy was the first to take up the tune.

At the gala, in the garden,
We’re going to see them all.
All the creatures, we’ll befriend them at the gala!

At the gala.

Then Leon started after her.

All the birds and the critters,
They will love us, big and small;
We’ll become good friends forever,

With the last part, these two sung it together.

Right here at the Gala!

All our dreams will come true, right here at the Gala! At the Gala!

As they began to march towards the Gala, Applejack and Dog took their cue starting with Applejack with the first verse and Dog with the second verse and in repeat.

At the gala,

(It’s amazing)

We will sell them;

(That you heard of)

All our appletastic treats!

(Yummy, yummy)

Hungry ponies,

(Give us samples)

They will buy them;

(We will buy them)

Caramel apples, apple sweets!

(Gimme some)

This last one, they sung together.

And we’ll earn a lot of money,

For the Apple Family!

All our dreams and our hopes from now until hereafter.
All that we've been wishing for will happen at the Gala.

At the Gala!

The stallion unicorns who had been singing back-up bowed so that their horns created an arch tunnel that Rarity graciously walked through.

At the gala, all the royals,
They will meet fair Rarity.
They will see I’m just as regal at the Gala!

(At the Gala)

I will find him, my prince charming,
And how gallant he will be.
He will treat me like a lady,
Tonight at the Gala!

This is what we've been waiting for to have the best night ever.
Each of us will live our dreams tonight at the Gala!

At the Gala.

Up overhead, I heard a fanfare, a rumble like distant thunder, and actually ducked as the Wonderbolts soared above, lightning streaking in their wake. Just as Rainbow and Shield did the same thing with their share in this song.

Been dreamin’, we’ve been waitin’,
To fly with those great ponies.

The Wonderbolts, their daring tricks,
Spinning 'round and having kicks.

Perform for crowds of thousands.
They’ll shower us with diamonds!

The Wonderbolts will see us right here at the Gala~!

All we’ve longed, for all we’ve dreamed, our happy-ever-after.
Finally will all come true right here at the Grand Gala!

At the Gala!

As ponies trailed into the Gala, one pink Earth pony bounced up and down in their midst.

I’m here at the Grand Gala,
For it is the best party.
But the one thing it was missing,
Was a pony named Pinkie.
For I am the best at parties,
All the ponies will agree.
Ponies playing, ponies dancing,
With me at the Grand Gala!

Happiness and laughter at the Gala.
At the Gala!

Now the music took up a slower, mournful tone that picked up in tempo as I took up my part. Mine was more reserved, quieter than the others had been.

As wonderful and magical,
As this great night seems,
I have no secret wishes,
No harbored hopes or dreams.

This is the night,
That my friends have all hoped and longed for.
I just hope to share a dance,
With the sweet mare that I care for.
As for other surprises,
This night has in store for me.
I’ll just have to wait and see.

A chance for a starlit romance at the Gala.
At the Gala.

Feeling a little better, I looked up to see Princess Celestia sail across the sky, Twilight watching her fly.

At the Gala,

(At the Gala)

With the princess,

(With the princess)

Is where I’m going to be.

(She will be)

We will talk all about magic,
And what I’ve learned and seen.

(She will see)

It is going to be so special,
As she takes time just for me!

This will be the best night EVER!
Into the Gala, we must go,
We're ready now, we’re all a glow!
Into the Gala, let’s go in,
And have the best night ever!
Into the Gala, now’s the time,
We’re ready and we look divine.

Now we all marched to the Gala, taking up the chorus one at a time.

First, Fluttershy and Leon.

Into the Gala,
Meet new friends!

Then Applejack and Dog.

Into the Gala,
Sell some apples!

Then Rarity.

Into the Gala,
Find my prince!

Then Rainbow and Shield.

Prove we’re great,
As Wonderbolts are!

And then me.

As for me,
Just wait and see.

To meet!

To sell!

To find!

To prove!

To whoop!

To see!

To talk!

Into the Gala, into the Gala!
And we’ll have the BEST NIGHT EVER!
At the Gala!

No one’s view

“Yeah! This is gonna be the best night ever.” Spike said as he came up behind the group. “You know why? ʹCause we’re all gonna spend time at the Gala together.” Just then, the ponies all dashed off in the excitement to see the wonders of the Gala, leaving Spike by himself. “Or not.”

Dusk’s view

Trying to enjoy the evening, I walked into one of the sparkling hallways which packed full of upstanding, well-dressed ponies from all sects of pony society. Doing my best to remember my Canterlot standards, I walked with dignity, back straight, head held not too high, and walked with the group to one of the halls. I paused at the door and held it open for two mares who were walking in behind me.

“After you.” I said politely, bowing my head. The two of them seemed quite surprised at my chivalry, but smiled regardless.

“Thank you.” one of them said, the mare being with a green coat of fur and matching dress. She was about to walk through, but then stopped and looked me over again. “Hey, did you go to Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns?”

“Um… yes, I did.” I answered. “Why? Did you?”

“Of course! Me and my friend both went and I thought I saw you somewhere before.” she remarked, only glancing at him, then turning her eyes impatiently to the hall.

“Did you now? Wait a minute…” Thinking back now, something came to mind.

That fateful day, when the Mare in the Moon had vanished, I had been walking to the library and two mares had passed by me as I went, one of which greeted me. I also remember from another time that I had walked to the library, the day of which I met Shield, Leon, and Dog. They’d been talking about me, the green mare considering going over to talk to me, while her friend (the dark pink one) had advised her against it. How strange fate could be.

“I know you two.” They looked quite surprised at this, so I clarified. “I mean, er…in passing. It was the, um…the Summer Sun Celebration, when Nightmare Moon was released from imprisonment. I was walking to the library and you greeted me.”

“What? What the hay are you…?” The pink one frowned and then realized. “Hey, yeah! I remember now. Um… Dusk! Yeah, the guy with the entourage! Man, I still remember how before you were a little, lonely stallion, always drifting around the place.”

“Prim! That’s rude!” the green one hissed and gave me a sympathetic grimace. “Sorry, I remember too. You probably don’t want to hear about that. Sorry for reminding you of your lonely days.”

“Think nothing of it.” I said, waving it away. “I hold no ill will for either of you, though I might suggest we move. We’re, uh…blocking the door.” Sure enough, the line was starting to build behind them, so we entered the glittering hall, lined with sculptures and ribbons.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you in person. You seem so…different.” the green mare remarked. “More than the last time we saw you.”

“I am different, though I’m still much the same.” Feeling surer of myself now we were on good terms, I bowed my head again. “Dusk Noir, at your service.”

“I’m Mirror Shine.” the green mare introduced. “My friend is Prim Proper.” Once again, Prim only muttered her greeting.

“A pleasure meeting you both.” I said regardless of her reaction to me. “Are you with anypony or is it just you?"

“We’re actually off to meet our boyfriends.” Prim pointed out sharply. “Come on, Mirror! Let’s go!”

“Hey, you’re not busy tonight, are you? Why don’t you come with us?” she offered.

“Really? I wouldn’t want to impose, that’s all.”

“Not at all. You can come with us. Right, Prim?” she asked pointedly.

She looked as if she was about to object, but sighed and shrugged. “Whatever, sure. Just don’t get in our way.”

“That would be the last thing I would do.” Keeping a polite smile on and pleased that things seemed to be going well so far, I followed them through the hall.


Twilight’s view

Looking around for the Princess, I headed toward a room with a large staircase that split into two different directions as I ascended upward. There, at the splitting point, was Princess Celestia herself. Some ponies were going up to see greet her while a few others were chatting on the ground floor. I all but ran ahead of a pair of ponies making their way towards the Princess.

“Princess Celestia!” I said, excitedly reaching the top of the middle staircase where she was waiting.

“Twilight!” Princess Celestia said to me. “It is so lovely to see my star student.”

“Oh, I’m so excited to be here!” I said to her. “We have so much to catch up on.”

“Well, I want you right by my side the entire evening, so we'll have plenty of time together.”

“That’s just what I was hoping you’d say.” I said as I went on to stand beside her. Looking at the violet Dusk gave me, it didn’t take me long to remember what Dusk and I planned to do. “Um… actually, maybe not the whole evening. I sort of have other plans for tonight too.”

“Oh, is that so?” Celestia asked me, sounding a bit curious. “And I believe that these other plans have to do with your friends?”

“Well, yes—I mean, no! I mean…” the princess giggled as I tried to come up with the best answer. After recomposing myself, I then tried my best to tell her, finding it hard to tell her what I agreed to do with Dusk. “Yesterday, Dusk asked me to… dance with him here at the Gala and I said yes. I don’t want to let him down, so I’m afraid we won’t have much time to talk.”

“That is quite alright, Twilight.” She assured me. “I’ll make sure that you don’t miss your dance with your assistant.”

“Thank you, Princess.” Looking to the flower behind my ear, I gently placed a hoof on it and allowed my thoughts to drift to Dusk. Feeling the warmth on my cheeks, I was looking forward to my dance with him.


Rarity’s view

While wandering through the halls, to my surprise, I caught sight of Prince Blueblood, busily chatting with somepony before making his way outside. Before he made his exit outside, I saw him smile in my direction, an action of which caused me to squeal in excitement.

“Hurry, Rarity!” I said to myself, before going on hold my haste as to not frighten my prince. “Oh, but not too fast.” I then made haste once again. “But don’t want to lose him!” Then I remembered myself. “Wait! Have to play it cool.” I then hurried outside. “Oh, but don’t be cold! I can’t lose him, I can’t! He’s everything I imagined!” Finally making my way out into the rose garden, I watched as Prince Blueblood picked a rose. I couldn’t help but smile seeing his handsome features simply glowing, walking over to introduce myself. “Even better than I imagined.”


Leon’s view

“Okay, Flutters,” I said to Fluttershy as we made our way to the garden, “keep an eye out for any animals. I hear that they roam freely amongst the garden, so we can be able to catch sight of one at any time.” Just then a little bird flew just above my head, chirping away.

“Oh, my! A meadowlark!” She said as we followed it deeper in the garden before hearing it giving a friendly chirp.

“Oh, I think she’s calling out to us.” I said, recognizing the welcoming chirp of a bird.

“It’s exactly what I wished for!” Flutter then hummed a sweet tune, the bird whistled the tune back. With that, we followed the tune in hopes of getting to meet the bird face to face.


Dog’s view

Moving our cart over to someplace full of ponies, AJ and I were ready to sell some apple treats. With a single buck of my hind legs, the cart opened up into a selling booth loaded with all kinds of apple treats. We were just about to get ready with promoting and advertising our when we got our first customer, said customer being Soarin of the Wonderbolts that was walking by.

“Howdy, partner!” AJ said to him. “Ya hungry?”

“As a horse!” Soarin said to her.

“Well, what ya hankerin’ for?” She asked. “Caramel apple? Apple pie? Apple fritter? Apple fries?”

“I’ll take that big apple pie!” Soarin said, eyeballing the pie excitedly.

“Well, thank you kindly, sir!” AJ said as Soarin dropped off the bits and took the pie by the mouth before walking walked away. “Yee-haw! In the first minute, we made out first sale. Just like I expected.”

“Then let’s keep it up!” I said before we then got to promoting and advertising.


Shield’s view

Looking over to the VIP section, me and Dash watched as Soarin made his way over with a big pie in his mouth. He had just reached the gate before Spitfire went over to him.

“Always hungry after a show, eh, Soarin?” Spitfire teased.

“Heh. Yeah!” Soarin answered, accidentally losing the pie in his mouth. “My pie!” Luckily, Dash managed to save the day and catch the falling pie in time.

“You saved it!” Soarin exclaimed, happily. “Thanks.”

“Hey, no prob.” Rainbow answered, trying to play it cool.

“Nice save, Dash.” I said to her with a proud smile.’

“Hey, I know you!” Spitfire said to her. “You’re the pony that saved us in Cloudsdale and won the Best Flyer Competition.” She then looked to me. “And you’re her Earth pony friend that can walk on clouds, right?”

“Hay yeah!” Dash told her. “Name’s Rainbow Dash. And this is Shield.”

“Well, Rainbow Dash, looks like your skills saved us again. Oh, well, at least they saved Soarin’s apple pie.”

“Yeah.” Soarin sighed happily as he gobbled up the pie noisily from the floor.

“You and Shield wanna come hang with us?” Spitfire asked.

“Sure. Why not?” Dash said as the VIP tape was opened and Spitfire and Soarin head through. “Shield, do you see what’s happening?”

“Yeah, Dash.” I told her as I couldn’t hold my smile either. “We’re hanging out with the Wonderbolts!” Dash gave a girly squeal and giggle before we went off to catch up to them.


Pinkie Pie’s view

Bouncing happily around, I managed to find the main ballroom of the Gala.

“The shiny dance floor… The pretty party ponies… Ooh, the fancy band…” Pinkie gushed as her excitement went into overdrive, seeing the shiny and sparkly dance floor, a group of pretty-dressed party ponies near a giant statue, and a band of ponies playing a piano, violin, tuba, and a harp.

“Pretty! Shiny! Fancy!” I was so anxious that I couldn’t contain my excitement any more. “Gotta dance!”

With that, I broke out in song.

I’m at the Grand Galloping Gala!
I’m at the Grand Galloping Gala!
I’m at the Grand Galloping Gala!
It’s all I ever dreamed!

As I kept on singing, I bounced around, did the can-can, even jumped up to the statue. I also popped about the band and even hugged a few ponies.

It’s all I ever dreamed! Woo-hoo!
It’s all I ever dreamed! Yippee!
I’m at the Grand Galloping GalaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I was having so much fun until I looked and saw that most of the party ponies were giving me glares and dirty looks.

It’s all I’ve ever…dreamed?

Finishing my very quietly and feeling a little embarrassed, I watched as the other ponies snootily walked away from me, leaving me to sit in the middle of the floor alone.


Dusk’s view

After walking through the hall for a while, the girls and I soon met up with two stallions, one a unicorn and the other a Pegasus, who bestowed their respective girlfriends with a kiss on the lips, whilst I patiently waited. I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of envy for the two stallions. They had managed to capture the hearts of their mares, no doubt with the impressive muscles that they were both gifted with and probably with significantly less effort. I glanced down at my own legs along with my arms (especially while they were concealed). I wished that I had muscles as impressive as they did and was reminded at how much smaller I was compared to most stallions. Not by much, but enough for the two of them to look down on me. Maybe if I could just be a little taller…

“Hey, Dusk, come over!” Mirror said as I walked over, feeling nervous as the two stallions looked at me. “Boys, meet Dusk, an old classmate of mine. Dusk, this is my boyfriend Jock. That pegasus over there is Muscles, Prim’s boyfriend.”

“It’s nice to meet you both.” I said, hold up my claw for a friendly shake.

“Yeah, nice to meet you too.” Jock said as he shook my claw for a bit.

“Yeah, pretty cool.” Muscles said, doing the same.

As they shook my claw, their eyes also seemed to linger at how small I was while I cringed at how tight their hoofshakes were. If they were bothered by my presence, they didn’t show it.

“So what do you do, Dusk?” Mirror asked kindly, Jock’s foreleg around her.

“I have an occupation in Ponyville.” I explained. “I…”

“A what?” Muscles rudely asked.

“It means a job.” Prim said impatiently. “I don’t know why you’d want to work in a little dump like that though.”

“Funny. My friend Leon said the same thing and now he enjoys living in the town.” I said before giving an uncomfortable cough and speaking to Muscles. “Yes, she’s right. What I mean is that I have a job in Ponyville.”

“Oh, why didn’t you just say?” He frowned at me. “Speak plain English, dude.”

“Right.” I said with a chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” He asked me.

“It’s nothing.” I told him. “Just that my other friend Shield asks me the same thing from time to time. Okay, what was I saying?”

“You were telling us about your job.” Mirror prompted. At least she seemed nice.

“Oh, yes. Well, I work at the library there as second assistant to Twilight Sparkle.” I took a sip from my drink. “I believe you know her as she did attend the school.”

“Oh, yeah. Unsociable Twilight Sparkle.” Prim remarked. “Always studying but never making friends. I think she thought she was better than us because she’s the Princess’ personal student.”

“Yeah. You said it, babe.” Muscles agreed. “I feel for ya, dude. Must be pretty boring working in a library all day.”

“Actually, it’s quite interesting.” That resulted in the two of them raising their eyebrows in surprise. I saw Muscles lean and whisper something in Prim’s ear, at which she giggled. I tried to ignore what he was saying, but I couldn’t help but make out something that sounded like “geek”.

I remained with them as the evening passed on, passing the time with idle conversation, though Prim was still rather cold and distant with me. Sometimes I earned some admiration with a joke that I made or something that I said about my life in Ponyville, but most of the time they sniggered at how rather un-stallion-like I was. One time I managed to succeed with the former was when Mirror asked me this.

“Hey, wait. Didn’t you compete in this year’s Magical Talent of Equestria?”

“Yes, I did. You were there to see it?” I asked her.

“Yeah, your performance was really good.” she remarked.

“What kind of magic was that anyway?” Prim asked, her interest a little piqued.

“Mine.” I replied simply, demonstrating it by making swirls of color fly around their heads before vanishing.

“Hey, that’s pretty cool.” Muscles remarked as he tried to touch it, but I made it flinch like a living thing.

“How come it’s not your cutie mark?” Jock asked, watching as one swirled around his legs.

“It, um… it just isn’t.” I said feebly, cutting off the magic.

“So you got that piece of paper instead? Man, that’s lame.” he sniggered, making me flush.

As a result talking to them, I was—needless to say—beginning to regret coming with them. I was only staying with them because I thought it might get better if I remained with them longer and that they’d warm to me. That didn’t seem to be happening and consequently, I was losing my confidence and started to stammer and pause a little more, which wasn’t helping my situation. Soon, I would have to leave and find something else that might occupy my evening.

“So, Dusk, what do like to do in Ponyville?” asked Mirror, who had been silently scolding the other three.

“Oh, well, um… reading in my home, going to the spa, um… taking tea, just…”

“What?” Muscles guffawed. “Going to the spa? What do you like getting hooficures and seaweed wraps? Sad ʹcause ya chipped a hoof?”

“Or claw, in this case?” Prim said, snickering with her boyfriend.

“I-I-I, um… I…” I stammered once more, unsure as to what to say.

“And taking tea? Oh, how lovely.” Jock said in a mock posh voice. “You wear a frilly dress and a ribbon in your hair too?”

This made me cast my head down in utter mortification. In all of this, I’d completely forgotten that the latter two activities weren’t something that most stallions did in their spare time. I felt so humiliated and ashamed, the two of them laughing away, even Prim sniggering away while Mirror was in an unsure silence. Not wanting to stay any longer, I dared to glance up.

“Geez, I thought having that entourage would make you more of a stallion after being stuck in a house full of hens.” Muscles said to me. “But you’re more of a mare than I thought.”

“I see… if you would excuse me, gentlemen, ladies.” Bowing my head, I fast-walked out of the hall away from them.

“Dusk, wait!” Mirror had caught up to me, her expression pitying. “I’m sorry about them they… they don’t mean it. Please, come on back and I'm sure they’ll apologize.”

I tried my best to control the shaking in my voice. “Thank you, Miss Shine. But… I would prefer some time alone… if it’s all the same with you.”

She looked like she might argue, but gave me an understanding nod. “I get it… I need to get back. Sorry again.” From there, I then left without looking back.


Rarity’s view

Casually sniffing a rose, I was surprised by the sudden appearance of a certain prince before me.

“Well, hello.” He greeted me in a regal manner. “I am Prince Blueblood.”

“I am Rarity.” I returned the greeting. “Oh, my! What a lovely rose.”

“You mean...this rose?” said Prince Blueblood as he used his magic to pick a red rose from the bush. I smiled for it appeared he was going to give it to her. But I was mistaken as he then pulled it away and claimed it for himself. “Thank you. It goes with my eyes.” I could only give a moan at how awkward the moment had become.


Leon’s view

Going deeper into the garden, Flutters kept on humming as we tried to follow the singing of the meadowlark in the distance.

“Listen! I think the chirping is close.” I said, causing Flutters to gasp.

“Our little meadowlark is right around this bend!” She said with excitement as we rushed towards it.

After taking a turn, we were then surprised the find that, instead of a bird, we found a pale brown stallion. Seeing his dark gray mane, beard, and tail along with his tall, sagged, green hat, I knew this pony as the old groundskeeper.

“Mr. Greenhooves?” I asked, getting his attention.

“Hm?” he said as he noticed me. “Why, if it isn’t old Leon. Fancy meetin’ you here.”

“Yes, it’s nice to see you too.” I said to him as I looked around for the meadowlark. “Hey, you wouldn’t have hearda meadowlark around, would you?”

“Hm… not that I recall. Haven’t heard nothin’, but me whistlin’.” He said before he whistled, revealing the chirping we heard was actually him.

“Wait, that’s the chirping we heard.” I said, surprised to find we were following Mr. Greenhooves instead of the bird. “Was that you?”

“Yep!” he told me. “I love whistlin’ while I work.” He continued to whistle as he raked some leaves.

“Wow. Can’t believe I mistook you for a bird.” I said with an embarrassed chuckle.

“I can see that.” He said before he looked past me. “My, and who’s this pretty, little lady?”

“Oh, this is Fluttershy.” I said, doing introductions. “She’s a friend of mine from Ponyville. Flutters, this is Mr. Greenhooves, the local groundskeeper.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He tipped his hat to her. “Well, I guess I’ll leave you two young ponies. Enjoy the gardens!”

“We will, thanks!” I told him before we then walked away, Flutters looking a little disappointed. “Hey, don’t worry. I’m sure if we keep looking, we’re bound to find some animals. Just then, we heard some animal noises and looked forward to find a collection of trees and grounds filled with different kinds of creatures.

“Oh, Leon, look! A toco toucan!” Flutters said, her warm smile returning. “And a spider monkey! And, oh! Is that a wallaroo?” She quickly flew in, but this caused all the animals and birds to run away and hide before she could settle down and land. “Oh, Fluttershy, you’re such a loudmouth.” I then went over to comfort her.


Shield’s view

It was great that the Wonderbolts invited us to hang out, but me and Dash barely got to talk to them before they started talking to other ponies, a huge crowd of their fans blocking us wherever we went. It got to the point where Dash started hopping up and down to try and get noticed.

“Okay, that’s it.” I said, making Dash stop hopping. “If we’re ever gonna hang with Spitfire and Soarin, we need to get through these ponies.” Right there, while Dash ducked under some dresses, I pushed my way through the crowd. “Excuse me! Make way! Stallion coming through!” Surprisingly, I was able to hear Dash’s voice over all the commotion.

“Hey, Spitfire! You ever done a rain cloud double backflip?” Seeing Spitfire talking to somepony without even looking at Dash, I knew that these other ponies were talking too loud for her to hear Dash. Seeing Soarin around, I then went over to talk to him.

“Hey, Soarin! You ever soared past lightning?” I said to him, talking loud so he could hear me. “It’s awesome!” But I ended up getting the same as Dash as Soarin couldn’t hear me either as he then walked away from me. Now I was starting to get a little ticked off. I hated being ignored like this, especially by the Wonderbolts.


Twilight’s view

I tried to spend time with Princess Celestia, but she was too busy shaking hoofs with other ponies and it prove to create quite a struggling to speak with her.

“Welcome to the Grand Galloping Gala.” Princess Celestia said to another pony.

“Princess!” I said, just so excited to talk to her. “I’ve been so excited to spend time with you and…”

“Yes. Me too, Twi…” Princess Celestia was cut off as another pony approached. “Oh, good evening. Welcome to the Gala.” She then returned to her conversation with me. “Which was why I…” Princess Celestia was cut off again. This had been going on for a while now. “Ladies, lovely to see you again.” I just sighed to myself as I noticed that the line of ponies seemed to be getting bigger, not smaller, as time went by. I was sure some of these ponies had already come up.

“Looks like getting a chance to talk to the Princess is gonna be a magic trick in itself.” I said, speaking quietly so nopony would hear my disappointment. Though what I feel depressed about the most was that I would possibly miss my dance with Dusk, especially when he was obviously looking forward to it.


Dusk’s view

I stopped out in one of the hallways, which was mostly empty and rested my head on a wall.

“How could I have been so stupid?" I whispered scornfully. “This isn't what I had in mind for the Gala.”

I let a few tears trickle down my cheek, still grimacing from their hurtful words and laughter. I was meant to be having a good time here, yet all I had gained was scorn and ridicule, a reminder that I was a weak little stallion, not big and tough like the rest of them. There wasn't even any point in staying now, the girls would all be having a wonderful time. I didn't want to spoil their evening with my misery. Maybe I would just walk home, not bother them…they wouldn't want that… I’d never even got to dance with Twilight…


Dog’s view

While we were grateful that we managed to make one sale, things weren’t fairing any better for me and AJ after that as we waited patiently by our stand.

“First minute, first sale.” She said as several ponies walked by, timing going by faster than a jackrabbit. “Second… fourth… sixth… sixtieth…” As time went by, most of the ponies only seemed to snub and ignore us. Not one of them was interested in any of our apple goods.

“At this rate, we’re never gonna make enough bits before the Gala’s over.” I said, worried that wouldn’t be able to reach our quota.

“This ain’t what I expected at all.” AJ sighed sadly, leaning a bit on the stand.


Pinkie Pie’s view

“I’m at the Grand Galloping Gala…” I tried to sing, but lost heart since I had been left alone at a table, shunted and snubbed by the other party ponies, “and it’s not what I dreamed.”


Rarity’s view

After reaching a fine seating grounds, Prince Blueblood went to prepare a cushion so we could sit on the grass. But I prepared to sit only for the stallion to take the entire pillow for himself.

“This isn’t at all what I imagined.” I was truly disappointed for this was not what I expected from my prince charming.


Twilight’s view

“Good evening!” Princess Celestia said as she continued to greet ponies. “So nice to meet you. Welcome!” While the ponies smiled, I was now feeling ignored.

“This isn’t what I hoped.” I said to myself, disappointed that I wasn’t able to talk to Celestia.


Shield’s view

After trying to getting the Wonderbolts attention, we lost Spitfire and Soarin before we even had a chance to talk. It was just the two of us surrounded by a whole bunch of random ponies.

“This isn’t hanging out.” Dash said, looking pretty disappointed that we weren’t able to talk to our heroes.


Leon’s view

Flutters tried the best she could to greet and spend time with the animals, but they all kept running, hiding, and/or flying away from her.

“This isn’t what I wished for.” Flutters said as I then went over to comfort her.


Dusk’s view

Suddenly in my moment of depression, something made me go against that, made me wipe away my tears and stand with a determined expression, gripping the good luck charm that was concealed beneath my shirt. Giving up like this, that was the old Dusk. Not this Dusk. This was one little slip-up, with one little group of ponies among hundreds. The evening was still young and I still had yet to dance with Twilight, possibly the only thing I did have planned. I wasn’t going to let this put me down and spoil my night. I may have not waited and dreamed for this night like my friends, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try and let it pass me by. Somehow, I was going to make it my night!


Twilight’s view

“No!” I exclaimed, not willing to give up. I am going to talk with the princess!


Rarity’s view

“I’ve waited my whole life…” I said, determined to find my prince in Blueblood.


Leon’s view

“…for this moment!” Flutters was saying, not willing to give up on befriending the animals in the garden.


Pinkie Pie’s view

“And I’m not going to…” I promised myself for I was going to have the best party ever!


Dog’s view

“…let it slip by!” AJ was saying, still going to try to make money for Sweet Apple Acres.


Shield’s view

“If it’s the last thing I do…” Dash was really fired up on getting to hang out with the Wonderbolts.


Dusk’s view

“I’m going to make this…” I said to myself, making my vow on this night. I will have my dance with Twilight!


No one’s view

“…the best night ever!” Dusk and the girls said at once, more than ready to turn things around.


Dusk’s view

Walking around the halls, I debated as to what to do. I definitely wasn’t going to go back into the hall where my mockers were and I wasn’t sure I wanted to try my luck with anypony else. I really wanted to spend time with somepony I knew, but I wasn’t prepared to disturb the girls on their special night and didn’t even know where to start looking for Spike. I thought of Twilight, no doubt absorbed in conversation with Princess Celestia, waiting for the moment we would share our dance. I wished Princess Luna was around, I could at least talk to her… Wait, that’s it! That’s how I could have a good time at the Gala until I could dance with Twilight. I resolved to find the Princess of the Night and spend some time with her. So, I set off to search for her.

I ended up running what felt like the whole of Canterlot searching for her. She wasn’t greeting the guests with Celestia at the entrance (I had to resist the urge to go and see Twilight), she wasn’t anywhere outside or near the gardens, she wasn’t at the VIP section of the Gala, nor was she in the dance hall. I searched all over the Gala, but couldn’t find any sign of her anywhere. I paused to think in one of the hallways. Where could she possibly be? Would it be worth asking somepony?

“Hey, you okay, sir?” a friendly voice asked. I turned to see a familiar white-coated unicorn stallion with a blue mane standing behind me. He wore the bright purple with gold finish armor only bestowed to the Captain of the Guard.

As a result, I stood a little straighter out of respect for him. “I’m fine. Thanks, Captain. But…” I paused to think. Perhaps he would be willing to help. “Actually, do you know where I might find Princess Luna? I’ve not been able to find her around the Gala.”

“Do you know her?” the captain asked, not suspiciously but still sounding concerned.

“Yes, she invited me here once and we got on quite well.” I dared to make a joke. “Don’t worry. I’m not an assassin or, um… anything like that.”

To my relief, he laughed light-heartedly. “Sorry, it’s always good to check. Well, from what I hear, she didn’t really plan on attending the Gala.”

“Really? Why?”

“Don’t know really.” the captain shrugged. “Princess Celestia wouldn’t say much. She just told me to get on with security arrangements for the Gala.” He gave me a sort of admiring smile. “If you think you can help her, she’s in the Star Tower on the west side of the palace.”

“I know where it is.” I nodded, recalling where she’d had tea with me. “Thank you, captain. If something is wrong, I’ll see what I can do.”

“I’m sure you will.” he said. “I’d better get back to my post. Nice meeting you.”

“Likewise, captain.” I saluted. “Maybe we’ll meet again sometime in the future.”

“Maybe we will.” He returned the salute and marched off, while I sprinted off to find Luna.

I smiled at the thought of the captain and how helpful he had been. It was strange, it felt as if I knew him somehow or if he had engendered some sort of…trust. No. I decided. He was just a helpful guy and I was grateful for his assistance. It was just a shame that I hadn’t had the time to ask for his name.


Leon’s view

“Flutters, is this really necessary?” I asked as Fluttershy was coming up with her own plan to get the animals to stop running away from her. “I mean, I want to make friends with the animals as much as you, but… laying out traps for them? Isn’t that a bit much?”

“Maybe, but I think it’s necessary.” She said as she set a box trap and used a carrot for bait. “We just have to be more bold, like Twilight.”

“Yeah. Bold…” I wasn’t sure how to feel about this as Flutters ducked behind the main gate. It just felt so… wrong. But, if it made Flutters happy, then I had no choice but to help. With that, I then decided to do my part. “We’re sorry to have scared you, furry friends! Me and Flutters will leave so you can enjoy the garden by yourselves!” With that, I then teleported over to Flutters as she held the string to the trap in her mouth. It wasn’t long before we heard a crunching sound and she sprung her trap.

“Got ya!” She said as we went back to the garden.

“Fluttershy, this isn’t right.” I said as we walked over to where the trap was. “I know you want to make some animal friends, but you can't do that by trapping… Mr. Greenhooves?”

We were both surprised to see that it wasn’t any of the creatures Flutters wanted to capture, but just Mr. Greenhooves who had seen the carrot and had decided to eat it.

“Mmm…” he said as he munched on the carrot, the box on his head. “Howdy, Leon.” Seeing this only made Fluttershy give him an irritated glare.


Shield’s view

After finding the Wonderbolts, who were still chattering about with some other ponies, me and Dash tried to figure out how to get their attention.

“Okay, so how are we gonna get them to talk to us?” I asked her.

“Well, if they don’t notice us, we got to make them notice us.” She told me.

“How do we make them notice us?” I said before Dash got an idea and whispered her plan to me. “Good plan, Dash. I’ll set it up, you do the rest.” I then went over to some random pony drinking some punch and chatting with some other ponies before quickly tossing him into the air.

With his yelp, everypony else gasped before Rainbow flew to the rescue and caught him on her back. I checked to see if the Spitfire or Soarin saw that, but they were too busy chatting to even notice. Hearing a grunt, I looked to see the guy I just tossed lying on the ground and Dash stomping away, no doubt mad the plan didn’t work. I was going to follow her when I overheard a familiar voice.

“Oh, Prince Blueblood!” I was surprised to find Rarity, standing behind a puddle of some punch and with… Blueblood?! “How chivalrous.”

“One would hate to slip.” Blueblood said to her.

“Yes, one certainly would.”

“One’s cloak should take care of the problem.”

“Oh, of course it will.” While Rarity waited for the Prince to drop his cloak, but was surprised to find him asking her to drop hers. In the end, Rarity caved in and dropped her cloak, letting him walk across without getting any punch on him. Rarity just glared as she scooped up her cloak and slapped it onto the top of her upper back.

I was already annoyed before from being ignored, but now I was mad to see Blueblood, especially with how he was treating Dusk’s cuz. What the heck was she even doing with him anyway? Out of all the adopted ponies in Gold Star’s family, this was the only one me and the guys didn’t want the girls ever meeting! Knowing that Rarity’s night was gonna be ruined, I walked right over to the two.

“Well, if isn’t Blueblood?” I said as they looked at me, giving a fake smile of pleasure. “Been a long time, hasn’t it?”

“Shield Steedor. My, this is a surprise.” Blueblood said to me with a smug. “Never did I think in moons I would find you here.”

“Well, it pays to have friends in high places.” I told him when Dash came over.

“Shield, you know this guy?” She asked me.

“Unfortunately, I do.” I said with a sigh. “Dash, meet Gold Star’s cousin Prince Blueblood.”

“Charmed.” Blueblood said to her before looking to me. “Well, this night sure is full of surprises, isn’t it? First, I find you here at the Grand Galloping Gala, in the VIP section no less. Now I discover that you came here with a date.” That surprised both me and Dash.

“Date? Hold on…/We’re not…” we both said at the same time. “The two of us aren’t…/This isn’t a…” We both then kept quiet as Blueblood chuckle.

“Oh, how quaint.” He said to us. “Well, at least you have some likely company on this night. I know for certain that I do.”

“Yeah, I can see that.” I said to him before deciding to get a talk with Rare. “Mind if I have a little word with your date, your highness?”

“Well, as long as you don’t try to steal her away from me.” Blueblood said. “I supposed it would be fine for her to speak with a few commoners. Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.” After he walked away, I dropped my act as I talked to Rarity.

“Rarity, what are you doing with that guy?” I asked her.

“Well, if you must know, I am making this night for all it’s worth.” She told me. “As such, I am trying to spend some quality time with my prince charming.”

“Prince charming? Blueblood?” I said before I started laughing at Rarity’s joke. “Good one!”

“Shield, I’m serious!” She said to me with a glare. “Honestly, I have no idea what you find amusing.”

“Listen, Rare,” I said to her as I stopped laughing. “I know you might think you’re gonna find a good guy in Blueblood, but I hate to tell ya. You’re not gonna find anything like that with him.”

“And why not?”

“Because he’s a jerk. Don’t let the looks fool ya, he’s not much of the prince everypony thinks he is. Heck, Gold Star’s more of a real prince than him.” Rarity was quiet for a moment before she spoke again.

“Well… I still believe that, underneath his uncouth behavior, he is the sweet prince I know he is.” She then started walking away, her cloak dripping a bit from being in the punch puddle. “If you excuse me, I must return to him.”

“I tried to warn her.” I said before I spoke to Dash. “Okay, let’s think of some other way to get the Wonderbolts’ attention.”


Pinkie Pie’s view

Looking around the room, I tried to figure out how I can lighten things up until I found it! the reason everybody was so grumpy was because the music was putting them in a bad mood. If I put on some better music, then I could get this party started. . She quickly whispered to all the musicians before grabbing a mike and tapping it.

“Come on, everypony!” I said as everypony looked at me. “I know what will make you shake those groove thangs!” Right there and then, I then started singing.

You reach your right hoof in,
You reach your right hoof out!
You reach your right hoof in,
And you shake it all about!

You do the Pony Pokey,
Meeting lots of folks with clout!
That’s what I’m talking about!

You step your left hoof in,
You pull it right back out!
You step your left hoof in,
But you better help him out!

You do the Pony Pokey,
But should find a different route!
That’s what it’s all about!

You kick your back left in,
You pull your back left out!
You reach your back left in,
Just be brave and have no doubt!

You do the Pony Pokey,
Feeling like you’re gonna pout!
That’s what I’m singing about!

You tilt your head in,
You tilt your head out!
You tilt your head in,
Then you shake it all about!

You do the Pony Pokey,
Even though your date’s a lout!
You’re better off without!

You stomp your whole self in,
You stomp your whole self out!
You stomp your whole self in,
And you stomp yourself about!

You do the Pony Pokey,
And you give a little shout!
That’s what I’m talking about!

You do the Pony Pokey!
You do the Pony Pokey!
You do the Pony Pokey!
And that’s what it’s all about!

Yeah!

I then finished my song by dancing, doing the splits, and raising with my hooves in the air. I thought it worked until…

“Young lady, this is not that kind of party.” One of the ponies snootily said to me.

“Ohhhhhh!” I said as I realized what she meant. “They don’t want a a party. These ponies want a paaar-tay!” Giving a hoof-pump in the air, I hopped off the stage and got to work.


Dusk’s view

After much walking, I soon reached the foot of the tower, guarded by the same Shadow Guards as last time. To my relief, they even recognized me, one of them going upstairs to tell the Princess. I was a little surprised at how excited I was to talk to Luna again. It was almost as if she was as much my friend as the guys and any of the girls were. If there was a problem, I hoped she was okay and that I could help somehow if she wasn’t. I was then ushered up to the top and told I could just go straight in, though I still knocked on the door regardless.

“Enter!” The voice was less commanding than last time, more friendly and happy. When I did enter, Luna positively beamed at the sight of me, but collected herself and reduced her smile somewhat. I couldn’t help but return it.

“Good evening, your highness.” I greeted, sinking into a low bow. “It’s an honor and a pleasure to see you again.”

“The feeling is mutual, young Dusk.” she said happily. “Thou are looking—what is it they say?—sharp this evening.” I blushed at her compliment. “Tell us, why have thou chosen to seek us out tonight rather than remain at the Gala?”

“Well, my friends are all busy tonight and I just wanted to talk to somepony that I knew so…I thought you wouldn’t mind, your highness.” I looked up at her. “You don’t, do you?”

“We do not. In fact, we are glad of some familiar company.” She gestured beside her at the balcony. “Come, let us talk. Much has happened since we spoke last.”

Ecstatic that she wasn’t annoyed that I had disturbed her, I joined her at the balcony. As we sat there, she was perfectly content to listen about all that happened in Ponyville since the time that they had last talked, occasionally passing comment on it. She seemed quite happy in a way, hearing about all of the things that I did with my friends. It was almost as if she envied me in a way, like she too wished to share in friendship, but she kept it hidden beneath her smile…or maybe that was just me thinking too much into it. She was just happy for me that was all I needed to know.


Twilight’s view

Trying to help speed things along, I tried to help Princess Celestia shake hoofs with the other guests. But then one pony shook my hoof and the rest of my body, frazzling me and leaving me with a swollen hoof. I gave a wearily smile as I saw the still long line of ponies as they come to greet her. Right now, I was wondering how Dusk was doing. Hopefully, his night was better than mine.


Dusk’s view

After much talking and arriving on the subject of the Gala, I found myself faltering when I recalled my tormentors, diverting my gaze away from Princess Luna. She however sensed my distress and kindly offered to listen to whatever I had to say on the matter. So I told her, leading to her expression becoming sterner as she listened until she gave an angry snort. Even the steam emerging from her nostrils glittered like starlight.

“Ruffians.” she commented. “Pay no heed to their words, Dusk. They are nothing.”

“But, with all due respect, they’re right, Princess.” I mumbled sadly. “I’m not like other stallions. I’m not big or strong or tough. If anything, I’m a little pathetic… I wish I was stronger, bigger…”

“Enough! We shall not listen to this.” she declared firmly. “Listen well, young Dusk. Do not wish to be something thou cannot be, but instead be happy with who you are, regardless of what others might think of thee?”

“But… but they… they…” She raised a hoof to silence my stammering.

“If they choose to mock and ridicule thee, let them but do not listen, for such ponies are not worth listening to. Be happy with who thou are as your friends are… as we are.” she added softly.

I looked up at her in surprise. “Y-y-you are?”

“Indeed. Your humble nature, your intelligence, they are part of who you are and we like who you are.”

“Oh, um…” I wasn't sure what to say, apart from: “Thank you, your highness. That means a lot to me.”

“Good.” she said simply. “Did we help to make thee feel better?”

“Very much so, thank you.” I said sincerely, pushing those hurtful thoughts out of my mind.

“Shall we have these scorners of yours thrown in the dungeons for extra measure?”

“Princess! Isn’t that a little…” I stopped when I saw that she was smiling. “Oh, you’re joking.”

“Yes, was that not clear?” I shared in a light-hearted laugh with her, now understanding what Celestia had meant by Luna being playful, before we fell into a comfortable silence. I was glad I could at least laugh with her.

When I looked back up at her, her gaze was looking past me off into the distance. I followed it to see that she was looking at the lights of the Gala, bathing the high towers of Canterlot in their glow. I noticed her eyes were shining too with a kind of longing, perhaps regret. Then she noticed that I was watching her and tore her gaze away from the Gala, staring resolutely off out of the city, at the vast landscape below. That didn’t stop me from having a sudden thought on why she was up here on her own in the first place.

“It’s quite spectacular, isn’t it?” I commented casually.

“What?” she asked, though I knew fully well she’d heard me. “Oh, yes, the Gala… Yes, it is quite…spectacular.” There was that hint of regret again.

“If I may ask, your highness,” I began gently, “why are you up here by yourself, rather than with your sister at the Gala?”

She appeared quite taken aback at the question and the control in her voice seemed forced. “Because we are not needed at the Gala. Our sister is quite capable of greeting the guests by herself, so why would we be needed?” I wasn’t convinced.

“Princess… I don’t think that's it.” I said simply. I didn’t want to say anymore for risk of seeming imposing or rude. I just hoped that would provoke a response from her.

Her expression saddened and she looked down at me. “Have thou seen how others react to us, young Dusk?”

“Um… not really.” In truth, I had noticed but I didn't have the heart to say.

“When we speak, they tremble in fear at us. They do not see us as they do our sister. She is more loved, more adored than we are. We know this, we have seen it.” She gazed back at the Gala. “That is why we do not attend the Gala. What would be the point of our presence there, when we would merely spoil everypony’s evening?” She hung her head sadly and said no more.

I immediately felt overwhelming pity for her. But that wasn’t all I felt for her. It was pity and empathy. This fear that she had of seeing how others may think of her, preferring to hide rather than risk the chance of being rejected, of being scorned by others because of certain qualities about herself, what she thought about herself. It reminded me of somepony that I once knew, somepony who was exactly the same.

She reminded me… of me. Of how I used to be. Especially during my days as a lone wolf hero. And I knew it was my duty to help her, as my friends had done. If I couldn’t make this night special for myself, perhaps I could do it for her.

“Princess, I understand how you feel. I used to think the same way that I wasn’t worth anypony’s time, that there wasn’t any point in me doing something when it was so obvious to me that others would just think of it as boring or stupid.” She raised her head and looked back at me and knew I was making progress. “But then I came to learn a lesson that changed all that. And a friend of mine, a very good friend, gave me a piece of advice that reminded me of that. That’s something I’ll never forget.”

“And…what was that?” Her voice had lost its authority and command now. She sounded more like a child, seeing help and reassurance. It almost made me cry.

“How can you know the outcome of something that you do if you don’t even try?” I said no more and Luna continued to gaze at me. I could tell the words had an impact, as something changed in her eyes. Now for the final part. “If you would permit me, Princess, perhaps we could both go to the Gala. Together.”

She stared at me, then her eyes flickered away out of indecision, looking anywhere but at me. She started to speak a few times, but words failed her. She sighed again and looked back out across the plains below. I knew her answer and felt disappointed and a little foolish for suggesting it in the first place. At least I had tried…

“Well… I suppose I’d better be getting back.” I bowed again. “If you would excuse me, your highness.” Still she was silent. “Have a good night.” I turned to walk away and had just reached the door when…

“A moment, Dusk Noir.” I turned back to look at her, unable to determine her expression. “We have already made our judgment on this matter. However, there is some reason to your point of view and…we concede.” That was when she smiled once more. “Come then, Dusk. Let us attend the Gala together. It would be improper if only one of Equestria’s rulers was present.”

I beamed at her and bowed. “It would be my honor, Princess.” So walking side by side, I, Dusk Noir, escorted Princess Luna to the Grand Galloping Gala.


Leon’s view

Walking aimlessly around while avoiding the garden, I was really depressed by how bad my night has been. I thought I was finally gonna have a perfect evening with Flutters, but instead I ended up watching go all psycho in the garden. She’s lost all patience in trying to be nice and went on pouncing and scaring every animal into hiding. I had never seen her so mad, the girl was downright furious. When she yelled at them to come out of hiding, I just ran out of there as fast as I could. Now I’m too afraid to even go back there. How could my sweet Flutters turn out so crazy and mean? Instead of having the best night ever, I ended up with the worst night ever! Thought I was gonna be stuck sulking the whole night until…

“Oh, come on, babe! I was joking around.” Said a stallion.

“Yeah, all of us were.” Said a mare. Looking over, I saw a couple of ponies talking with each other: two stallions with one green mare and a pink mare glaring at them.

“I don’t care.” Said the pink mare, still glaring at them. “What you said back there was uncalled for. I think you really hurt him.”

“But all that stuff is true anyway.” The green mare told her. “You heard him talking. He’s more of a mare than he is a stallion.”

“Well, that might be true, it doesn’t mean you make fun of him for it.” the pink mare retorted. “You act just as much a stallion as you do a mare and you don’t see me making fun of you!”

“Oh, would you relax, Mirror.” The green mare said to her friend. “I’m sure, if we bump into Dusk, he’s already forgotten all about.”

From there, I was actually shocked to find that they were talking about Dusk. Did they really fun of Dusk? They couldn’t do that, the guy’s too sensitive to comments like that. He must be all kinds of upset. Right there, I knew I had to do something. Nopony makes fun of that Fire Dragon except me.


Shield’s view

While Soarin and Spitfire were chatting with each other, I bucked the table to send a glass of punch into the air. Dash caught it easily with her back leg, which impressed both Wonderbolts. But two ponies pull them away so they could take some photographs with them, leaving me and Dash alone again, the pegasus glaring in annoyance.


Dusk’s view

As we walked through the castle, though I preferred to be modest, I let the pride well up in my chest. This was something that I could feel truly proud of. Helping somepony in need was just what friends did and I was going to do my best to make sure that Luna had a good evening that she could look back on with fond memories. Making a mental note to conduct myself with even more dignity and poise than before, I matched her stride as they walked through the streets of Canterlot. I could tell that she was nervous, but she hid it well, with a determined expression. Maybe my presence was helping her relax a little…

She stopped at the threshold that would take us into the Gala. She was unduly tense and fearful, watching it warily. I noticed and nudged her gently.

“You’ll be fine. I promise.” She said nothing, but gave a small smile of gratitude, allowing me to lead her into the Gala.

The first pony we met, one I was surprised to find at the Gala, Dragonis Maximus, the guardian of Equestria, seemed quite amazed to see her. Luna looked as if she would turn back, but then he smiled and embraced her with a hug. And she returned it.

“Luna, I didn’t think you would be attending the Gala.”

Luna turned to me, where I only nodded to her. In a confident voice, she replied: “We would not, if not for this young stallion. Let it be known that we do not shirk our responsibilities as co-ruler of Equestria. It seems your faith was not mislead.”

“It would seem so. Thank you, Dusk.” He said looking towards me. Luna beamed at me and I nodded once more.

“It was no problem.”

“Shall we?”

“Indeed.” Returning to a position of authority, she stood with more dignity than before. “Come then, Dusk, let us enter the Gala and see what the night has in store.”

“Right behind you, Princess.” I said, following as she led the way.

As we took a route into garden, all eyes turned to watch them, guests bowing and murmuring excitedly at the sight of the Princess of the Night. She bestowed them all with smiles and the odd greeting, her originally tense stature relaxing visibly. But there was one thing that truly made my evening that little bit better.

“Dusk?” I turned to see Mirror Shine and her friends, the two stallions looking quite shame-faced, but Prim just looked annoyed. Luna paused to watch, not saying anything herself.

“Oh. Good evening again.” I said, rather coldly. I didn’t like to hold grudges, but I still wanted her to know that I’d been hurt.

She appeared taken aback at my harshness. "Dusk, I just want you to know that we are really sorry for hurting your feelings."

“It wasn’t so much you,” I corrected, “more your…charming friends here.”

“Yeah, but we’re sorry too.” Muscles put in suddenly. “We were just messing with you man, we didn’t mean anythin’.”

“Yeah, what he said.” Jock added, Mirror smiling proudly at him. “You know, if you’re into tea and libraries and stuff, you know…that’s cool.”

I was a little surprised at this and the bitter feelings I had for them were gone in that instant. The only one who didn’t say anything was Prim, who was idly examining one of her shoes. Mirror gave her a nudge and she looked up irritated.

“What? Oh, yeah…sorry, or whatever.” I would have just taken it at that.

“And you should thank your white friend there.” Mirror said, as Leon came up to sight. “He really stepped up for you after you left.”

“Leon? You…stood up for me?” I asked, surprised to hear that.

Then Leon said “Of course. I know how much you take pride in how polite you act and nopony should insult you except me.”

“Thanks.”

Then Leon looked and was surprised to see who I was with. “Dragonis? Princess Luna?” With that, both of them told him of what happened.

Though us and Dragonis were okay with it, but Luna wasn’t having it.

“Thou callest that an apology?” she boomed angrily, making her jump and cower. “Thou hast hurt the feelings of our loyal subject and thou thinks that is a sufficient apology for thy transgressions? Thou will apologize properly, so we command it!”

“Okay, okay! I’m sorry that I hurt your feelings! I’m sorry!” she screeched, then ran away. Muscles sprinted after her, along with Jock.

“Well, we are glad that has been resolved. Come!” Luna commanded, as if nothing much had happened.

I was still surprised that Luna had stood up for me like that. I knew that I had good relations with her, but I hadn’t expected anything like that. I once again took a moment to take pride that Luna thought so highly of me, or at least liked to me to a degree that she was prepared to stand up for me.

Looking for something to do in the aftermath of that, I remembered Applejack and Dog would be selling their wares in the garden and suggested to the Princess that we get something to eat. She agreed and we soon found Applejack and Dog at their apple cart, though with no customers queuing like they’d hoped for. They saw us and perked up visibly.

“Well, good evenin’, Dusk, Leon, Dragonis, and Yer Highness.” she said happily. “What can we get ya?”

“We’ll take… four candy apples please.” I requested, handing over the money and passing one to Luna, Dragonis, and Leon. “Business doesn’t really seem to be booming, I take it.”

“ʹFraid not.” she sighed. “We’ve tried every sales tactic we know, but none of these ponies seem interested in buyin’ our food.”

“Yeah. All we’ve managed was to trip somepony with our apples.” Dog said, feeling just as depressed.

“I’m sorry to hear that. Here, have this on me.” I deposited a few more coins into the can.

“Thanks, Dusk. I appreciate it and so does my family.” Applejack said sincerely.

Luna looked into the can where she was putting her money. “Thou are raising funds for your family?”

“Yes, your highness.” she affirmed. “Not exactly great pickin's, as ya can see.”

Luna seemed to consider for a few moments, then pulled out a heavy coin purse and emptied the whole contents into the jar. Applejack and Dog were astounded at this.

“P-p-princess… ya don’t have to…”

“We do not have to, but we want to, as it is for a good cause.” she said firmly, but not unkindly. “Put it to good use, Miss Applejack. See it is not wasted.”

“Oh, I won’t and thank ya kindly, your highness. I won’t forget this!” she called as me, Leon, Dragonis, and Luna left her, unable to believe her good fortune.

We were once more treated to the stares and gazes of amazed guests and Luna leaned in and whispered “Let us go to the gardens. It will be quieter there.” I agreed straight away.

“Come on, Leon. We’ll have an easier time in the gardens.” I said.

“Yeah, I don’t think it’s gonna be as easy as you think.” Leon said with a look of despair and worry.


Dog’s view

“Dog, can ya believe our luck?” AJ said to me as I couldn’t believe it either. “Thanks to the Princess, we have more than enough money for everythin’ back at Sweet Apple Acres!”

“I know!” I said as I couldn’t stop on smiling. “Things are really turnin’ up for us.”

“Two apple fritters please.” Rarity said to us as we turned to see here there.

“Two apple fritters comin’ right up!” I said as I used my magic to get out the treats. “That’ll be four buh-buh-buh-buh!” I was then shocked to find out Rarity wasn’t alone, more so at who she was with. “Blueblood?!”

“Oh, Mr. Fries!” Blueblood said to me, trying to sound a little surprise. “I hardly recognized in your… ensemble.”

“Ugh! That’s just great.” I said, not soon any sense I glad a little earlier. “Just when we’re having the best night, y’all had to come and ruin it!”

“Dog, ya know this fella?” AJ asked, a little surprised by this.

“Ee-yup.” I said, not really feel good introducing her to Blueblood. “AJ, this is Gold Star’s cousin Blueblood.”

“Oh, my.” He said to us. “I was much surprised to find Shield here, now I am even more surprised to find you here as well, along with your own date.”

“We’re not on a date, Blueblood.” I told him. “I’m just helpin’ sell some treats.”

“Huh, a simple proprietor.” He said to me with a smug. “Well, I do suppose that it is a job suited for somepony like you.” That comment made me growl at him with a glare.

“Now, now, boys.” Rarity said. “Let’s not have anything to ruin our night. How much for the apple fritters?”

“That’ll be four bits.” I answered, still not feeling much good with Blueblood around.

“Ahem.” Rarity said to Blueblood.

“Ahem.” He said back.

“Ahem!” Rarity was now getting ornery with him.

“Ahem!” the Prince was getting just as ornery.

“I’m going to have to pay, aren’t I?” Rarity said with a sigh.

“Hold on, Rarity.” I said before taking one of the fritters and giving it to her, feeling a little better now that I was helping her out. “Here, on the house.”

“Thank you, Dog.” Rarity said before giving Blueblood a glare. “At least somepony here has good manners.”

“Um… excuse me.” Blueblood said to me, now looking ornery at me. “I believe the other there is for me.”

“Yeah, two bits.” I told him.

“Excuse me?” Blueblood was a little surprised by this. “Um… I think there’s been a mistake. I believe you said they were free of charge.”

“Nope, Rarity’s is free of charge. You have to pay up.”

“What? Now, just a moment. I am willing to accept you being courteous to Lady Rarity, but I do believe that I should be given the same treatment.”

“Really? After the way ya been treatin’ me for years on end? You’re lucky I haven’t bucked ya out of here yet! Payin’ for your own food is the least ya can do. So either ya pay up or get on out of here!” Blueblood looked like he was about to argue for a moment until he gave a groan and began to walk away all snootily.

“Fine then!” He said to me. “Fritters? Dumplings? Caramel apples? Hmm! I wouldn’t even let my royal lips touch such common carnival fair! I’m going to the buffet for some hors d’oeuvres!”

“Fine by me!” I told him. “I wouldn’t want to be servin’ a rotten apple like ya anyway!” From there, I then took a deep breath and calmed down, still angry at Blueblood’s comment. “Royal jerk.” I then put my anger to the side as I talked to Rarity. “Rarity, what in Equestria are y’all doing with that guy?”

“Oh, I’m trying to find some good in Prince Blueblood in the hopes of starting my own sort of romance with him.” She told me, looking much disappointed.

“Well, y’all aren’t gonna find nothin’ with him.” I told her. “All Blueblood’s got goin’ for him is just his looks, not much else.”

“Yes, I do believe you’re right.” Rarity said. “He is not at all the prince I thought he would be. Everything that all I wanted him to do, I have been doing for him instead. He even made me hold the door for him. I had spent so much of my time with him and have nothing to show for it, unless you count a soiled cloak and having a door close behind you as such.” She then said as she walked away, following Blueblood. “Honestly, I believe I may have made a mistake.”

Watching her walk away, I felt really bad for Rare. She got all gussied up just for tonight and was now stuck with the only pony in Equestria who would care less for all her hard work. Though I didn’t have time to feel bad for her when AJ spoke up.

“Well, no wonder nopony wants our food.” Applejack said, looking mighty miffed. “They’re fillin’ up on those fancy-shmancy vittles! Well, our down-home apples are plenty good enough for this crowd. I’ll just dress ‘em up a bit and prove it to ‘em.”

“AJ, hold on there!” I said, going after her as she then pushed the cart away.


Rarity’s view

“I can’t believe I was about to eat such common food.” Prince Blueblood said as he continued to fume out his frustrations. “And served by that mongrel pony, no less. His apparel isn’t even fit to be worn in such an event as the Gala. Whoever had designed it must have shabby work.” Hearing that comment on my design, I simply bit her tongue to avoid saying anything undignified. How dare mock my fabulous fashion designs?


Dusk’s view

After the four of us left the bustle of the Gala and entered the quietness of the Royal Gardens, we sat down to eat our candy apples, me sinking my teeth into the sweet treat. As Fluttershy had said, every flower of every kind was in full bloom and the garden radiated with a natural fragrance and beauty. I wondered if she was anywhere close by, in the presence of her new animal friends… Fireflies hovered in the night air, providing additional illumination to the night, as well as adding more to the garden's beauty. The chirps and squawks of all kinds of different animals and birds met our ears, though any we did see scurried into the bushes out of fright when we walked by. Though, curious as to why he wasn’t with her, I then spoke to Leon.

“So, Leon, how’s your best night ever?” I asked.

“Not so good. Things didn’t go as planned and…” Leon said before he sighed. “Well, let’s just say that I think I got no chance to impress her, which was just much chance I had in befriending any animals in this garden.”

“Hey, don’t say that.” I said, trying to cheer him up. “The night’s still young. I know, if you keep trying, you’ll get her.” He then looked up and smiled.

“Speaking of which, how’s Fluttershy handle it?” I asked.

“Not as good as I did. Those animals are a bit too scared for either of us to go near them. The way she’s handling it, you don’t want to know.” Leon said with a concerning look.

When I looked up at Luna, I saw that she had only taken a single bite from hers and she was now just staring at it like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

“Is something wrong, Princess?”

“Nothing is wrong, no. It is just… it has been a long time since we have eaten a candy apple…not since we were a filly. Things were so much…simpler back then.” She paused in this musing, then glanced at me. “Have thou ever seen how ponies react to us?”

“Um…not really.” In truth, I had noticed but I didn’t have the heart to say.

“We spoke of this last time we met. When we speak, they tremble in fear and shake terribly. When they bow, it is in the hope that we do not single them out, keeping their heads low. They still see us as Nightmare Moon, the monster in the moon who terrorized their dreams. You know this, we know this.” She sighed forlornly. “Sometimes, we wonder if we should still be imprisoned in the moon. Perhaps it would be easier than…this.”

I didn’t know what to say to this. I watched as she shut her eyes, a tear trickling down her cheek. I had never imagined how hard this must be for her, adjusting back to life after being gone for so long, when so much had changed now. I did my best to hold back my own tears. I then saw Dragonis place a claw gently on her shoulder. From there, she looked up and then hugged him.

“You know,” I began quietly, “not everypony was afraid of Nightmare Moon. Like…me.” She then looked at me at this. Along with Leon with shock. “Whenever I heard the story of Nightmare Moon, looking up to see you trapped up there, I was never scared. You only wanted some more recognition for your hard work and you just…made a bad choice. I know that doesn’t say much but…I always felt sorry for Nightmare Moon…for you.” I smiled warmly at her. “For what it’s worth, Equestria wasn’t the same without you.”

She glanced down at the claw on her shoulder. At first, I was about to remove it for fear I was being too personal, but she didn't object. She placed her own hoof on top of my claw, gratitude radiating from her smile that she bestowed. I knew it wouldn't be enough to make up for all of those long years but…at least it was something.

“Thank you.” It was simple, but it said so much. Then, she giggled, which made me give a confused look. I looked at Dragonis and saw him snickering a bit.

“Dusk?” Leon asked.

“Yeah?” I looked to see when I used my magic to hold the candy apple, I accidentally placed it on top of Leon’s muzzle. “Whoops! Sorry.” Then I levitated it off.

He then started to get it off him. “Did I get it off?”

“No, there is still some there. A little more.” Luna giggled all the more at his attempts to remove it. I even saw Dragonis snickering more at this.

“Now is it gone?”

“Almost, a little more…there, it’s gone.” Dragonis said. Luna was now behaving more like a school filly than a princess.

“We see that thou has caused misfortune to thou own friend.” Luna said.

“Well, look at you. Your candy’s started to trickle onto your shoe.” I noted, doing my best to restrain a chuckle. Leon was even doing it too.

“What? How can that be?” She looked to see that I was indeed right, her sparkling shoe now coated with red caramel. “Oh… so it has.”

“Is it ruined?”

“Quite. We shall need a new set of shoes to replace these!”

“You must be very angry about that.”

“Oh, yes, we are furious at this! Perhaps we should take back our charity to your farm friend for this outrage!”

“She deserves nothing less than the most severe punishment.”

“We shall have her thrown in the dungeon for this!”

“I completely agree.”

“Quite so!” She held her stern expression for a few more seconds. Then, the two of us just burst out laughing, relaxed. Even Leon and Dragonis joined in. We were no longer princess and subject, but for all intents and purposes… friends.

A loud squeal broke the moment. We all exchanged a confused look and went to investigate, walking into one of the glades, only to find…

“What is the meaning of this?” Luna asked, bewildered by what she saw.

“Fluttershy? What are you doing in that net?”

“Oh… hello, Dusk, Leon, Dragonis, Princess.” an entrapped Fluttershy said. “Um… no reason.”

“Here, let me…” I cut her down with my claws and they stood up, her eye muscles twitching. “Are you okay?”

“Fine, fine, oh, yes, fine.” Fluttershy replied erratically, a quiver in her voice. I also noticed her dress was torn in places, her manes tattered. “Now, we need to try and catch our little friends!” With that, she darted off into the garden once more.

“Well, duty calls. Good luck with your best night, Dusk.” Leon said as he then went after Fluttershy. “Fluttershy, hold on!”

We stood in silence, trying to make sense of what we had just witnessed. Why was Fluttershy acting so strangely? Why did she look so bedraggled? These were questions I couldn’t even begin to fathom the answer to.

“Well…that happened. Not entirely sure what, but it happened.” I said honestly. “Perhaps it might be better if we go inside and see your sister, Highness.”

“Yes, that is agreeable.” She stared at the spot where Fluttershy and Leon had run off, then led the way into the entrance hall.


Pinkie Pie’s view

After getting the band to take five and getting a DJ table out in the dance hall, I then cranked some tunes to get everypony grooving.

"Come on, everypony!" I said as I mingle with the other ponies. “You wanted a par-tay? Now let’s a paaar-taaay!” I then tried to get everypony dancing. “Yeah! Uh! Now that's a beat, yeah! Uh! Come on, dance! Yeah, whoo-hoo!” I then made my way back to the stage, waiting for everypony to join me.


Dusk’s view

Upon making our way to the entrance hall, we found Princess Celestia and Twilight standing at the top of the stairs. Feeling my nerves rising once more, I climbed the stairs with Luna and Dragonis, to what I had really been waiting for.

Twilight broke into a smile when she saw me and Celestia beamed at the sight of her younger sibling. “Luna, what a wonderful surprise!”

“Good evening, my sister.” she greeted warmly. “Has your evening been pleasant?”

“Not really.” she whispered conspiratorially. “But it’s better now you’re here. I thought you were going to sit the evening out.”

“Yes, well, this young stallion can be quite persuasive.” she said, gesturing to me, where I bowed to the Princess of the Sun.

“So I can see.” she said. “We were about to head into the dance hall, if you would like to join us.”

“Indeed we would. Come, Dusk.” Luna commanded, walking beside her sister, Dragonis walking beside her, and me beside Twilight.


Dog’s view

“AJ, are ya sure this is a good idea?” I asked, not really feeling comfortable as we pushed the cart with the cake she made from the apples.

“Course I’m sure!” She told me. “As soon as they get a taste of this, these ponies will be begging for some apple treats.” From there, we then pushed the cart into the dance hall. “Okay, all ya high-class ponies, here’s a high-falutin’ apple cake for your hoity-toity taste buds.”

“Stage dive!” looking over, we saw Pinkie Pie jumped right at us, the pink pony landing on the edge of the cart and sending the cake into the air.


Dusk’s view

“Hey, you’re still wearing it.” I indicated to the lilac in Twilight’s ear.

“Just like I promised.” she nodded.

“So, how’s your best night ever been?”

“Let’s talk about that later. Right now, we’ve got something else to do.”

“We do?”

“I still owe you that dance.” she reminded me, making my heart flutter.


Rarity’s view

After we entered the dance hall, Blueblood and I both screamed as a cake came at us. Just then, Prince Blueblood then grabbed me and pushed me in front of him, using me as a shield as the cake splattered all over me. At that, I was finally at my limit and decided to put all the rage I had contained the entire time I had been with him out onto the prince.

Shield’s view

“You, sir, are the most uncharming prince I have ever met!” Hearing Rarity’s yell, I looked over and saw her covered in cake and backing Blueblood into a cover, no doubt the guy finally making her snap. “In fact, the only ‘royal’ thing about you is that you are a royal pain! Just like my friends said you are!”

“Ewww! Uh… stay back!” Blueblood said as he leaned against the door to keep his distance from her. “I just had myself groomed!”

Now Rarity saw the prince for who he truly was: a selfish, snobby, perfectionist stallion who doesn’t care what anypony else has to say and the biggest coward in Canterlot, not the brave, strong prince everypony thinks he is.

“Afraid to get dirty?!” Rarity challenged as she began to babble and wiggled about, splattering cake all over him. I couldn’t help but laugh at this. Finally, Prince Blueblood was getting what he deserved.

Though, from trying to get away from Rarity, he ended up backing into the horse statue and it was about to fall on everypony.

“This is our chance! Shield, come on!” Dash said as we went over as fast as we could, passing Soarin and Spitfire, and got just under the statue as it fell into our backs.

“Yes, we did it!” Dash said as we managed to save the day.

“Yeah…” I said before I then took a closer look at the statue and saw that wasn’t made of ordinary metal. “Wait, is this made with Vengestone metal? Oh, crud.”

“What’s the matter?” Dash asked me, confused by this.

“Dash… you know how I’m an elemental, right?” I said to her.

“Yeah?”

“Well, you see, elementals like me and Vengestone don’t really mix.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that I’m not gonna be able to hold this statue up for much—Whoa!” The statue suddenly then got heavier, the Vengestone drain my strength and making it harder to keep my balance.

Dash tried to help me, but we ended up bumping into a nearby column, sending six of them falling to the floor like dominos. Just when it couldn’t get any worse, the statue on our backs broke into two, the pieces landing beside us.

“Uh… oops.” I said, now feeling really embarrassed.


Dusk’s view

The wait had been long, but it would be worth it. My stomach was now doing backflips, I couldn’t think of what to say and I hoped I wouldn’t stumble too much, but the moment I’d been waiting for had arrived at last. I was about to dance with Twilight! Nothing could spoil this moment now. But then… we reached the dance hall and saw a scene of complete discord.

One of the sculptures depicting Celestia had fallen off its pedestal, as had a series of pillars that looked like they had fallen in a domino fashion. At the foot of it, I saw a collapsed Prince Blueblood, covered in what looked like frosting and food, a tattered Rarity looking pretty much the same. A guilty Rainbow Dash and guilty Shield stood in the center, along with a disheveled Applejack and disheveled Dog, and a rather bemused Pinkie on stage. Twilight looked completely shocked and I shared her feelings, my mouth wide open, along with Princess Luna and Dragonis.

“Well…it can’t get any worse.” At Twilight’s words, there was a distant rumbling and the doors burst open.

When they did, what looked like every animal from the garden stampeded inside in a panic, chased by Fluttershy (who looked quite terrifying with her eyes wide and mad along with her face contorted with rage).

“You’re…going to LOVE ME!” she shrieked, just as all of the guests ran around in a panic from the complete chaos.

“Fluttershy, stop!” Leon said as he ran after Fluttershy, who was now chasing the animals.

I, like Twilight, was at a complete indecision of what to do, looking desperately around for any kind of solution. This came in the form of Princess Celestia, who whispered a single word:

“Run.” She nodded to her sister and Dragonis and the three of them flew off, no doubt to try and restore order.

At her suggestion, Twilight whistled and I made a color shape in the sky to get their attention, one that also echoed Celestia’s advice. We ran down the stairs out of the Gala, but I stopped when I heard Pinkie speak up.

“Ooh! Rarity! Your glass slipper!” Pinkie pointed out. “Now your prince is sure to find you.”

“No!” Rarity said as she went over to her slipper, preparing to smash it so Blueblood wouldn’t find her before I went over and stopped her.

“Please, allow me.” I offered, using my metal bedding to smash the glass slipper.

“Thank you, darling.” Rarity said with a grateful smile. “Now let’s go!”

As we ran, I looked down at my suit and saw it had become torn during the chaos, patched and frayed in places and some of the fabric ripped away. All of the girls in similar states with their dresses, even the guys’ suits were much in the same condition. Thankfully, my hat was unharmed by the whole thing, as well was my necklace. I didn’t know what had happened, but it would certainly make an interesting story.


No one’s view

At a certain donut shop, after being left alone, Spike had ditched his tux and was now sitting at the counter. He was apparently eating donuts and drinking cocoa to deal with his loneliness.

“Hey, Pony Joe. Another donut.” Spike requested as he slammed his cocoa cup on the counter.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” Joe asked with concern.

“Another donut!” Spike snapped, slamming his cup and spilling some of his cocoa on it. “Extra sprinkles!” Spike just leaned his elbow on the counter when the ringing of the shop door was heard behind them.

“Twilight Sparkle!” Joe said. “Ha, ha! Long time no see.” Spike turned around to see the Dusk and the others behind him, all ten of them with their outfits along with their manes in tatters, some of them had either a missing shoe or wearing a damaged one. With all of them having disappointed expressions upon them, Dusk also kept his distance from Fluttershy.

“Hey, how was the Gala?” Spike asked as he ran over to them. “How was your best night ever?”


Dusk’s view

After we sat down at a table, ordering a plate of donuts to share, I proceeded to listen to everypony’s stories: Twilight had barely managed to get a word in with the Princess; Applejack and Dog hadn’t managed to sell much of their apples; Rarity’s prince charming had turned out to be a self-centered jerk (no surprise there); Fluttershy and Leon hadn’t made new animal friends because they were too scared; Rainbow and Shield hadn’t been able to hang with the Wonderbolts, though they had tried to get their attention; and Pinkie’s party expectations of the Gala weren’t met. I was surprised that I was the only one whose evening wasn’t a total disaster… except for one thing, though I didn’t mention it.

“That sounds like the worst night ever!” Spike remarked at the end of it.

“It was!” we all agreed and burst out laughing, even me.

“Except for me, of course.” I noted.

“Yeah, how about that?” Rainbow mused.

“I still can’t believe you went on a date with Blueblood.” Leon said, speaking to Rarity. “That guy is such a jerk. Every time me and the guys saw him, he would treat us like dirt!”

“Oh, yes. He is quite awful.” Rarity admitted before she turned to Shield. “I’m so sorry, Shield. I should have listened to you after what you told me about Blueblood.”

“It’s fine, Rare.” Shield said to her. “You just wanted somepony to love. Nopony can blame you for that.”

“Well, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the truth about Blueblood, cuz.” I said to her, feeling bad that she had to go through all that. “I thought Blueblood would be more well-mannered with you.”

“It’s quite alright, darling.” She assured me. “I know you were only trying to do what you thought was right.”

“Boy, was tonight rough.” Dog said, commenting on what happened in the dance hall.

“I just hope Princess Celestia isn’t upset with us for ruining the Gala.” Twilight said sadly.

The bell rang as the door opened and a cheerful voice said “That was the best Grand Galloping Gala ever!” In came Celestia, along with a rather bemused Luna and a smiling Dragonis.

“Princess Celestia?” We all said at the same time, surprised by what she just said.

“Pardon me, Princess,” Twilight put in, “but tonight was just awful.”

“Oh, Twilight. The Grand Galloping Gala is always awful.”

“It is?”

“That is why I was thrilled you were all attending. I was hoping you could liven things up a bit. And, while the evening may not have gone as you planned, I’m sure you’ll agree that, in the end, it didn’t turn out so bad for this group of friends.”

“You’re right, Princess.” Twilight agreed. “Friends have a way of making even the worst of times into something pretty great.”

“Yeah! Hanging out with friends!” Rainbow added.

“Talking!” Fluttershy put in.

“Laughing!” Pinkie said.

“You mean doing exactly what I wanted to do the whole time?”

Twilight giggled. “Yes, Spike. You were right.”

“As horrible as our night was…” Applejack started.

“…being together here has made it all better.” Rarity added.

I felt it was my time to add something. “In fact, one might say it’s made it…”

“…the best night ever!” we all chorused to more laughter.

“We must say,” Luna remarked, “the evening was certainly active by the end of it. We are…glad that we came.”

“As am I.” Celestia said. “It was good having you tonight, my sister. It wasn’t the same without you.”

“Indeed.” Dragonis added. “Having you around always seems to lighten things up.”

“So we’ve been told.” she remarked, looking at me. “Well, we had best return to the castle. We wish you all a good evening.”

I followed her as she stepped outside, stretching her wings to take off. “You’re not going to stay a bit longer?”

“We would, but we still need to watch over the night. Duty calls, as they say.” She smiled warmly at me. “Thank you for persuading me to come down, Dusk. Tonight was…unforgettable.”

“It was my pleasure, your highness.” I bowed.

“Please, we insist thou callest us…Luna.” If this was a shock, she did something I would never have expected: she gave me a hug, which I gently returned.

“I… I… I’m truly privileged.” I bowed once more. “Goodnight… Luna.”

She gave me one last smile and took off back towards one of the high towers of Canterlot. I was about to head back inside the donut shop, but I didn’t. Instead, I made my way back to the dance hall, which was still in a complete state. Leaves and twigs littered the floor, the food had been knocked over, as well had a few more statues. The animals had been cleared out, as had the many guests and the orchestra, absent from the stage.

I didn’t know why, but I felt comfortable showing my Fire Dragon tail. This feeling might have been because there was nopony else around or nopony would come near here.

I gazed forlornly around the place. For how good my night had been compared to the others, I still hadn’t gotten the one thing that I’d wanted, the one thing I’d planned for. Now it looked like I never would. I wasn’t sad… just disappointed. Oh, well. Maybe Twilight was grateful. Now that she wouldn’t have to put up with the idea anymore.

“Dusk?” I looked around slowly to see that she had followed me back up. Even though her dress wasn’t as pristine as it was before, she was still the pinnacle of beauty to me.

“Hey, Twi.” I gave her a sad smile. “I’m sorry you never got to talk to the Princess.”

“It’s okay, there’ll be other times.” She returned my sympathetic expression. “I’m just sorry we never got to have our dance.”

“Really? I thought you’d be pleased we’d missed it. No chance to step on your hooves.”

“I’m sure you would’ve tried your best not to. I’d read up a book on dancing before we came… I was looking forward to it really.”

“You… you were?” Without realizing, I looked to see that we’d been coming closer to each other, now we were mere feet away. I felt I should say something, anything, but couldn’t think as to what.

I heard a noise behind me and turned to see the players of the band returning to their place on the stage, but I saw it wasn’t the original band, but Tornwing, Aquarang, Terrahorn, ShockBlaster, and FrostFang, the five members of Order of the Guardians a.k.a. the strong elementals in the universe, along with Dragonis Maximus himself being the maestro of the music they played. Twilight saw them too and gave me a nervous smile. But how…? That was when I saw Luna at the door, smiling knowingly. I returned it as she walked off once more. These two had done this for me. For us.

As they began to play, I bowed and offered my claw to her, ignoring my fluttering insides. “May I have this dance, Miss Sparkle?”

“You may, Mr. Noir.” Gently, very gently, she took it. I held her close, feeling the heat rising to my cheeks.

Slowly, I led her across the dance floor, our feet moving in perfect motion with each other. A few times we stumbled, but we didn’t mind. We didn’t say anything, for there was no need to. We didn’t look at anywhere else, at anything else. We only had eyes for each other, gazing into the depths of each other’s gaze. It was just like I’d imagined it would be, my perfect moment with Twilight Sparkle.

Just like Rarity had taught me. One, two, one, two, in time with the rhythm, keeping my right claw in Twilight’s left hoof and my left claw on her waist, making sure that it didn’t drop any further than that. I could tell that she was also nervous as her movements were rather stiff and rigid, like she was having trouble relaxing. It gave me a little comfort that she was just as nervous as I was, guiding her across the floor.

“You okay?” I asked her.

“Yes… better now, really… you?”

“I’m… just fine, thank you.”

“Good. Good to know. You’re… quite a good dancer, Dusk.” she noted shyly.

“I do my best.” I said modestly. “You’re not that bad yourself.”

“Dusk, I’ve never danced like this in my life.” she admitted. “I’ve only read a book, which is hardly the same—whoa!”

She stumbled on her dress, but I stopped her falling. “It’s okay. I’ve got you.”

“Yes… yes, you do.” She cleared her throat and blushed even more deeply. “Thanks.”

“My pleasure.” Maybe this wasn’t going to be as bad as I thought.

I decided to give it an added effect. Tapping into my magic, I made glittering clouds of color swirl around us as we danced, above our heads and around our bodies, making the moment even more magical. The lights made Twilight’s eyes sparkle all the more. She gazed at me and rested her head on my shoulders as we danced, sighing and trusting me to remain in control and I certainly wasn’t going to betray that. I felt…complete, feeling her fur brushed against mine.

This moment was perfect, nothing could spoil it…

“Ow!” I was snapped out of my thoughts when I saw I’d stood on Twilight’s hoof.

“Oh, my gosh! I’m sorry!” I faltered and was about to draw away, afraid I’d ruined it. “I’m so sorry, I…”

“Dusk, it’s fine.”

“But I…”

“It’s fine.” I noted that she took in a deep breath and drew me in close again. “Nopony is perfect and you were doing great.”

“You…you mean that?”

“Of course.” She placed my claw back on her waist. “Let’s not spoil the moment. Come on.”

“Okay.” I felt like I should say something more, anything. “Twilight, I…”

She placed a hoof on my lips. “Dusk… let’s just dance. You don’t need to say anything else.”

“Okay… I just…”

“It’s fine. It can wait.” She rested her head on my neck again. “For now… let’s just enjoy this.”

“As you wish, Miss Sparkle.” Breathing calmly, I ignored my nerves and resumed our dance.

“Just don’t step on my hoof again, okay?” she added with a giggle.

“Never.”

A content smile curled on both of our mouths as we continued to dance, the colors swirling around us. It hadn’t been all perfect, but for me, here and now, surrounded by my magic with the mare of my dreams, this truly had been… well…

The best night ever!

Author's Note:

Even though things did not go according to plan, our heroes had still managed to make their time at the Grand Galloping Gala the best night ever. And, thanks to the help of Dragonis and Princess Luna, Dusk had even had even achieved his hopes in dancing with Twilight, the two sharing a sweet moment with each other. But what other surprises does tonight have in store? Find out next time!

Hey, guys! What did you think of the chapter? Isn’t that sweet? Dusk had finally got his dance with Twilight. In case you’re wondering what song is being played, looked up the instrumental of the slow version of Everytime We Touch. Also, Book 2 isn’t over yet. There is still one more chapter and this one is biggest one yet. See what will happen when Dusk and the gang head back home. Well, that’s all I got for this chapter! Don’t forget to comment and rate the story to tell me what you think!