• Published 26th Jun 2019
  • 464 Views, 3 Comments

Rise of the Element Gang, Book 2: Friendship Adventures - Power of Six



New heroes, new friends, new adventures. Join Dusk and the Element Gang as they learn about the true meaning of friendship.

  • ...
2
 3
 464

Chapter 14: Green Isn't Your Color

Chapter 14: Green Isn’t Your Color

Usually, I would be in the library with Twilight and Spike, helping her with her studies, handing things to her or just reading a book. Today, however, I was at the Carousel Boutique with the two of them, along with Pinkie, Rarity, Leon, and Fluttershy, assisting the debutante with a very important event. The famous photographer Photo Finish was coming, Rarity was displaying her work for her and Fluttershy was her model.

I had never seen her so tense and worried before. Her temper was short, as was her eye, as she looked for even the minutest detail that could spoil everything. I felt a little sorry for poor Fluttershy, who was under quite a bit of pressure in an environment she was uncomfortable with. Every now and again, her gaze would flick to me and I would give her a reassuring smile, so she was a little more relaxed. She became even at ease when I saw her and Leon share a smile.

Ever since I’d performed at Canterlot, I had become something of a symbol of confidence for her. I, myself, was a little more outspoken as a result of it. I was still a little shy and equally modest (qualities I shared with the cream-colored Pegasus) but I had gained some confidence since then. As such, I was there as a source of comfort for her, for obvious reasons. Though it wasn’t her that asked me to come along. In fact, it was actually Leon that asked me to come along. He’d actually came over to my house and asked me to be there, so that Fluttershy might feel less nervous about it. Though surprised that Leon did this, I was only too happy to oblige. I honestly never thought Leon would ask me to come along, especially since he’s been aiming to win Fluttershy’s heart ever since we came to Ponyville. I guess being around Fluttershy has changed him.

“Hm… She’s going to want to see attitude and pizzazz.” Rarity was telling Fluttershy.

“A-a-attitude and, um…p-pizzazz.” she repeated nervously.

“More light! It has to catch the sequins just so or the whole outfit is just a disaster.” Twilight quickly obliged, using her magic to expand the light above Fluttershy. “Oh, and the headdress needs more feathers. Pinkie Pie, more feathers!” Pinkie bounced over with a basket of feathers that Rarity placed into the headdress. Her eyes examined the tiny jewels that were worked into it. “Dusk, gem simulation!”

I swiftly obeyed, using my color magic to create the effect of tiny sparkling gems. This was so Rarity could get an idea of what they would look like, before she tried working them into the dress. She instructed me where to place them, adjusting every tiny little detail. Finally, she fixed in a few more on the hem and shooed me away from the pedestal, I remaining silent so to not aggravate her.

“And sequins! More sequins!” Leon pranced over with a bowl of them, which she sprinkled on Fluttershy. “And more ribbon!” He then placed it on. “Oh, no! Less ribbon.” He removed it. “No! More ribbon.” Sighing in exasperation, Leon put the ribbon back on. “Oh, this hem is completely off. PIN CUSHION!” Spike then came over with pins stuck in his back.

“Geez!” Leon told me as he grimaced at the pins in Spike’s back. “I’m glad that I’m not the one holding the pins, but I kind of feel bad for Spike.”

“Don’t worry. Dragons have pretty thick scales.” I told him as Rarity took some pins from Spike. “They practically swim in lava, so a few pins are nothing to him.”

I grimaced a little, despite my knowledge that dragon scales were thick enough to protect them from molten lava. Rarity placed them on the hem and shooed him away too, her expression softening a little.

“Thank you all for helping me.” Rarity said after she placed the pins on the hem and shooed Spike away, her expression softening a little. “I’m sorry to be so short with you, but I’m…I’m just so nervous.”

“It’s understandable, Rarity.” I voiced. “I’ve heard much about Photo Finish and how high in demand she is. Don’t worry. I’m sure she will love this dress, along with all of your work.”

“Thank you, Dusk. That’s nice of you to say so.” she smiled at me.

Leon nudged me, getting my attention before pointing to the side. It was there that I caught Twilight briefly glaring at Rarity until Spike returned, the little guy still with the pins in his back.

“Oh, doesn’t that hurt?” she asked him.

“Thick scales.” he said promptly, standing up like the pins weren’t even there. “Can’t feel a thing. And even if I could, there is no pain that would keep me from assisting the most beautiful creature in the world.”

Twilight groaned in exasperation and rolled her eyes, me merely smiling and Leon chuckling. Her reaction made me worry a little. Would that be how she viewed anypony who fawned over somepony else like that? Or was it just because of the biological impossibility of a reptile possibly mating with a mammal? I pushed those thoughts aside before they got any weirder.

“Okay, I’m gonna go check on Fluttershy.” Leon said as he went over to the stage, just as Spike came over.

“Hey, Dusk, do you think we can trust these two?” Spike asked me, gesturing his head to Rarity. I knew what he was referring to.

“I think so, my brother in library-assistantship.” I nodded.

“Okay then, bro.” He turned to Twilight and Pinkie. “I’m gonna tell you two a secret, something I’ve already trusted Dusk with it. But you have to promise not to tell anyone.”

“I promise.” Twilight vowed.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Pinkie promised.

Spike beckoned them to come closer. Then closer again. Then again, until they were right next to his head. Hearing him whisper, I found myself mouthing the words and smiling again.

“I have a crush on Rarity!” Twilight reacted with a frown that said “well, duh.” Pinkie, however, gasped and shoved her hooves in her mouth.

“We won’t say a word.”

“Give me a break. Everypony already knows how you…”

“Twilight!” Pinkie scorned, cutting her off. “You promised Spike you wouldn’t say anything. He trusts you. And losing a friend’s trust is the fastest way to lose a friend forever!”

“But…”

“FOREVE-E-E-R!”

“My lips are sealed.” Twilight told the little dragon. “Though I'm pretty sure Rarity is gonna pick up on your feelings.”

“Yeah, especially when she sees that ‘I Heart Rarity’ t-shirt I caught you wearing at the library.” I said to him with a slight chuckle.

“Dusk, shhh!” Spike hushed me, worried Rarity would hear me.

Though our private conversation was cut short as the bell rang to announce an entry of their esteemed guest with two mare assistants. She wore a black dress, with white and pink finishes on the hem. Her white mane was set in a neatly organized bob, reaching up to ear length. Her eyes were covered by large-framed pink glasses, hiding them from view. She carried herself with self-assured confidence, as most elite would, but I had to stuff my claws in my mouth to stop myself sniggering from her get-up. Twilight noticed, stifling a giggle herself.

“I, Photo Finish…have awwived.” she announced with a thick accent, though I couldn’t determine its origin. It sounded like it was from the eastern side of the world.

“Let me just say, what an honor…” Rarity stopped as Finish walked straight past her, rudely ignoring her and focusing her attention on Fluttershy. She popped a collapsible camera from her suitcase and pointed it at her.

“We begin…NOW!” she declared.

The photoshoot was over quickly. Rarity tried to mime to Fluttershy poses to do, but Finish didn’t like them. Apparently, she was only interested when Fluttershy looked her most timid and reserved, which was whenever that photographer rejected a move and the pegasus was just being herself. At least she was trying her best. Though I still found it odd because fashion models have been known to show confidence, not timidity. So why would a photographer like Photo Finish only take pictures of Fluttershy when she was feeling uncomfortable or doubting herself? After only about four or five photos, Photo Finished put her camera away and moved to confer with her assistances.

“She hardly took any pictures.” Twilight said as she and I exchanged a look.

“I know.” I said as I was just as confused and worried as she was. “That was quicker than I thought it was.”

Things didn’t seem to bode well. Either Photo Finish only needed a few photos or she didn’t like Rarity’s work. The mare in question removed Fluttershy’s feathered headdress, looking forlorn.

“I’m so sorry.” Fluttershy said sadly.

“It’s not your fault, Flutters.” Leon said, trying to comfort her. “You tried your best.”

“Well, the headdress is too big for you and the cape had too much sparkle.” Rarity replied, equally disappointed. “I can’t believe I ever thought I could impress her.”

However, the photographer returned with surprising news. “It seems that I, Photo Finish, haff found a next fashion star here in Ponyville.”

“Really?” Rarity asked, hardly daring to believe it.

“Yes. Really. And I, Photo Finish, am going to help her to shine all over Equestria. Tomorrow a photoshoot in ze park.” She stood frozen in place for a few seconds then: “I go!” With that announcement, she dashed off with her stylists.

“Did you hear that?” Rarity whispered, looking after her. “I am going to ‘shine all over Equestria’.”

“Clearly, she has good taste.” I remarked. “I told you she'd love your line of fashion.”

“Yes…yes you did.” She squealed with excitement. “Oh, this is absolutely marvelous!”

“Oh, Rarity. I was so worried I’d ruined everything.” Fluttershy said, relieved.

“Oh, never. I knew you’d be perfect.” Unable to contain her excitement, Rarity squealed and bounced up and down on Spike’s tail, though the dragon in question was so love-struck that he didn’t seem to care. Twilight nodded to me, where I promptly dragged him away.

A few minutes later, Twilight and I were on our way back to the library. Spike had volunteered to stay behind to help Rarity clear up, hearts floating in his eyes all the while. Twilight had let him, with another roll of her eyes, leaving him to it.

“Don’t you think it’s a little odd that Spike considers his crush a secret when it’s so obvious how he feels?” she asked me.

“Not to him, it isn’t. I respect that and so should you.”

“I do,” she insisted quickly, “but you have to admit, it is rather obvious.”

“I suppose you’re right.” I nodded. “As usual.”

“I’m not always right.”

“Most times you are. As they say, Twilight’s always right in love and war.”

“Who says that?”

“I do.”

“Dusk…” She giggled at my kidding, playing along. “Okay, how am I right where love is concerned?”

“Well,” I said, “you spend months doting and fawning with somepony, knowing how they feel about you before discovering they don’t feel the same and feeling devastated. Result: wasted time, broken heart, and Twilight is right once more.”

While I was playing along with this hypothetical discussion, I deliberately said it like that, as a way of a test of sorts. Would she disagree or perhaps disprove it, giving an indication of how she might feel for me?

“I suppose.” she said, making my hopes plummet, until: “But…that’s not completely true.”

“Really?” It was a chance, it had to be. “How so?”

“I don’t think all romance is silly. If two ponies are right for each other and do feel the same way, then that’s wonderful.”

“I see, yes…” Would it be going too far to push further? “Any, uh…examples?”

“Um…” Her cheeks went red and she avoided my gaze, quickly saying. “Spike and Rarity! As in… Well, that might never work out. You know, uh…what I mean?”

“Yes, I suppose so.” I felt a little disappointed by the lack of result, but it had to be something. Deciding to change the subject, I said: “Do you think Rarity really will ‘shine all over Equestria’?”

“Well, Photo Finish seems to think so.” She seemed quite relieved to talk about something else, as we arrived back at the library. “We’ll go and find out tomorrow how well it went.”

“Good plan.” I agreed, holding the door for her. “Right, back to work. Did you want to do that study session then?”

“Ooh, yes!” she said excitedly. “I’ll get the books and we can get started.”

“As you wish, Miss Sparkle.” I obeyed, pulling one down from the shelf and beginning to quiz her on transformation spells. My work might not make me famous, not that I wanted fame, but it was still enjoyable.


The next day, Twilight, Pinkie, Spike, and I dropped in on Rarity to see how the photoshoot in the park went. I had gone along quickly to offer support for Fluttershy with Leon, but I hadn’t been able to stay for the whole thing due to work.

“How’d it go? How’d it go?” Pinkie Pie asked excited as we approached the fashionista as she was working on something.

“Yeah, did it go as well as I thought?” I asked her as she finished sewing holding up something made of black cloth.

“It didn’t.” Rarity said with a despaired look, putting on the black clothing which was actually a cloak. “Photo Finish wanted to work with Fluttershy, not me.”

“Oh, Rarity. I’m so sorry.” Twilight said as we all felt sorry for her. “Is there anything we could do?”

“I just… want to be alone right now.” Rarity said, putting on the hood and turning away from us.

Though Twilight and Pinkie Pie were about to go over and comfort her, I stopped them.

“Come on, you heard her.” I told them as I turned around and walked to the door. “She wants to be alone.” Though I did want to comfort her, I understood my cousin’s disappointment. After all, I’d experienced it myself once upon a time. Though Twilight and Pinkie followed me, I had to grab Spike as I saw him trying to sneak back into the room. “You too, Spike.”

“What? I didn’t think she mean alone-alone.” Spike said, trying to defend himself as all three of us glared at him.

So, I was just as surprised as the others when we discovered it wasn't Rarity Finish wanted to work with, but Fluttershy.

Fluttershy, meanwhile, became an instant modeling star overnight. Soon, everypony knew her name, as her pictures started appearing everywhere. She was on the covers of various newspapers, magazines, and food and drink products. It was incredible how popular she had become. As such, we didn’t get to see much of her anymore, as she was always being kept busy by different events and photoshoots. Our group was all happy for her success, all except for me, Leon, and Rarity. In Rarity’s case, it was rather clear that she was jealous of her success. Rarity never spoke much of Fluttershy and when her name was mentioned, her eye twitched and her smile was forced. She hid it well, but I could spot it, if I looked carefully.

But me and Leon, however, were more concerned for Fluttershy herself. He and I had been talking about much of the recent development in Fluttershy’s popularity and knew that it wasn’t actually good. Unlike Leon and much like me, Fluttershy couldn’t stand being the center of attention and now that was practically all she did. It seemed very unlikely that she was enjoying this, let alone that she’d agreed to it in the first place. Though Leon was happy that he now knows a famous model and got into a lot of social events. Heck, ponies all over Equestria have been talking about him and Fluttershy being an item. But this wasn’t actually how he wanted things. Being close with Fluttershy, he was really worried about her. Most of all, he missed spending time with her. Due to her new career as a model, the two haven’t been able to get much time to just hang out.

Though, as time went on, I was beginning to have second thoughts on how I thought about this. At first, I thought I was just being protective of Fluttershy, that maybe she actually was enjoying her newfound fame and I was just worrying over nothing. However, that changed when I bumped into her and Leon on the streets of Ponyville, a panicked expression on their features.

“Fluttershy? Leon?” Before I could speak anymore, Leon interrupted me.

“Dusk, you got to help us! We’re being chased by a paparazzi!” I looked to the back of the two to see a mob of photographers and fans storming right toward us.

“Quickly, follow me!” With that, we sprinted down an alleyway, getting ahead of the mob. As we turned and reached the exit, I pushed Fluttershy and Leon behind a bin, instructing them to stay out of sight. Making sure my horn was covered up, I made a puppet of Fluttershy appear next to me, just as the mob rounded the corner.

“Hey, look! There goes Fluttershy!” I instructed it to run, which it did. “Hurry! She’s getting away!”

“You heard him! Let’s go!” I had to leap aside just so I wouldn’t be trampled underhoof from the sheer mass of ponies. After seeing they were gone, I then went out and turned to tell the two it was safe.

“Okay, they’re gone.” I told Leon and Fluttershy, beckoning them to come out.

“Thanks for the save, Dusk.” Leon said with a grateful smile. “We owe ya.”

“Oh, thank you so much.” Fluttershy said quietly, giving me a gentle hug. “I-I…”

“It’s okay. I was happy to help.” I said to her before we broke the hug. “Go, run. Find somewhere else to hide, quickly!”

“Right. Come on, Flutters.” Leon said to her as they got ready to leave.

“Yes. Thank you again. Sorry for the trouble.” With that, the two hurried away as fast as she could, leaving me alone with my thoughts. What had happened confirmed my suspicions.


“Well, ya never know, Dusk.” Dog said as I told him my views on this a few hours after I helped Leon and Fluttershy escape that mob. “Maybe she’s gotten used to the attention and she’s just enjoyin’ it.”

“I highly doubt that, Dog.” I replied. “I mean, have you see the pictures of her lately? She looks rather miserable in to me. Even Leon says she’s not enjoying herself. And when that mob was chasing her, it isn’t like her to do something like this.”

“Ponies change, Dusk. Like yerself.” He pointed out. “I mean, think about the contest. Ya wouldn’t have normally done that, but ya did. Ya got on stage yerself when ya never thought ya would.”

“Yeah, but this is different. Fluttershy’s got everypony’s attention in just a short time.” I said unsurely as I paid for the apple I bought. The box, once more, had Fluttershy's face on it. “Not to mention this takes up much of her time. She might not be quite used to it. By the way, that was a one-off. I’m never doing anything like that again.”

“Really? How come?” he cocked his head at me. “Ya did pretty well.”

“I know and I did like that I achieved something, but I still didn’t like getting up there.” I shuddered as I remembered how nervous I felt. “All of those faces staring and watching, even if they did like it.”

“If ya say so.” he said, not arguing with me. “Well, if ya are worried about Fluttershy, ya might get the chance to talk to her tomorrow. AJ told me she and Rarity have a regular get-together at the spa.”

“Hm… Twilight mentioned about going to the spa tomorrow. Maybe I’ll go along with her then.” With that thought in my head, I set off back down the road. “Thanks for the talk and the apple.”

“No problem, bud.” He assured. When I returned to the library, I proposed my idea to Twilight, who thought it was an excellent idea and said she would be glad of the added company.

At first, I had my doubts about it. This was mainly because that most stallions didn't exactly spend their time at spas. I even said so to Twilight, who reminded me that I wasn’t “most stallions”. A trip to a spa was just as good for stallions as it was for mares. Besides, I would be with my friends, so it wouldn't be so bad. My friends wouldn’t think any less of me because I took in “girly” pastimes and neither would she.

As such, I felt better about it when we arrived the next day, leaving my hat and necklace with a spa attendant, telling her to treat them carefully before slipping into a woolen white robe. I followed her into the main body of the spa, thinking maybe at least one of the baths would be quite relaxing.

We spotted Rarity in one of the hot tubs, a pink towel wrapped around her mane. The only surprise she expressed at the sight of me was a slight widening of the eyes, but she said nothing else, which I was thankful for. At least Twilight was right about that.

“Oh, my hooves are getting positively pruney. I’ve been waiting here so long.” She said as she showed her one of her hooves, her expression hardening. “Obviously Fluttershy’s just too busy with her new career to spend time with her best friend.”

“I’m sure she just got tied up.” Twilight placated.

“Of course she did. She’s a big bright shining star! I wish that star would burn out.”

“Rarity!” I knew she was jealous, but I never expected this. “How can you say that?”

“Dusk is right. Fluttershy is your friend.” Twilight put in, just as shocked.

“I know, I know. And I should be happy for her, but instead I’m just…jealous! Oh, please promise you won't tell her I feel this way. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!”

“You have my word.” Twilight vowed. “Losing a friend’s trust is the fastest way to lose a friend.”

“Forever?” I prompted with a chuckle, which turned into a yell when somepony burst out of the bucket of sponges next to me.

“Hey! Stop stealing my lines with your psychic powers!” Pinkie yelled as she sank back into their yellow depths, glaring at me.

Deciding not to comment on this, I removed my robe as Rarity stepped out behind a changing screen.

“Though I would love to stay and chat I really must be going.” Rarity said as she came out in an amazing red-striped, white dress.

“Wow! You look great!” Twilight said, compliment her dress as she climbed into the bath.

“I see you got over your hour of despair.” I said to her, feeling a bit relieved that she hasn’t given up on being a fashion designer.

“Fluttershy may be the one who’s famous, but that doesn’t mean I have to be the one that haves to stop looking fabulous.” She said to us, feeling confident in herself. “Anyway, have a lovely time, you two.” As she left, she gave a swift wink which neither of us replied to, only blush.

With two of us now alone, I tentatively put my claw in, testing the temperature before sliding in myself. I let out a long sigh as a wave of utter relaxation swept through my whole body from the warm water. It was at that moment I removed the camouflage on my tail as to fully enjoy the sensation of being so relaxed.

“I told you you’d like it.” Twilight smiled in amusement as she closed her eyes to begin relaxing herself. I was about to follow suit when we were disturbed once more.

“Rarity! I’m so sorry I’m…” She stopped when she saw it was only I and Twilight. “Oh, no. She’s already gone, isn’t she?”

“Sorry.” Twilight sincerely said.

“Geez, and we just got away from Photo Finish.” Leon said as he walked in, looking worn out. “She’s not giving Flutters a break.”

“Oh, I can’t believe this. I am so frustrated I could just scream.” She drew in a deep breath and let out her “scream”. Even that was more of a quiet squeak.

“I don’t suppose that did the trick?” I asked.

“No.” She fluttered up to us gently. “Can I tell you both something? It’s something I already told Leon.”

“Of course.”

“Yeah. What’s on your mind?” I prompted. This had been what I had come for after all.

“You promise not to tell Rarity?” she asked.

“We swear.” Twilight promised.

“Pinkie Pie-swear?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my—AARGH!” She ended up poking herself in the eye on the last bit.

“Don’t worry, I did that too.” I murmured quietly before I spoke to Fluttershy. “Anyway, go ahead.”

“I don’t like being a model. No, I hate being a model. All this attention is awful, just awful. And I’m only doing it because Rarity told me I must. I must! I MUST!” She gave a forlorn sigh. “I must…”

“Aw, Fluttershy… If it makes you feel any better, I’d feel exactly the same.” I placed a comforting hoof on her shoulder. She gazed up at me gratefully for my understanding.

“I suppose it does. Thank you, Dusk.”

“Ahem.” Twilight’s expression was rather hard, almost jealous to be honest.

“Is something wrong, Twi?” I asked her before her expression flickered back to casual, her cheeks flushed.

“No, it’s nothing. Anyway…” She said before she checked around then beckoned Fluttershy in closer. “If you wanna know the truth, Rarity…”

“Uh, Twi…” I gestured silently to the sponges and shook my head. “Why don’t we talk about this outside?”

“Oh! Yes, good idea.” she agreed, eyeing the bucket as we exited the bath. I felt a little disappointed our relaxing session had to be cut short, but my friends came first. Concealing my tail, we left the spa and talked about the situation Fluttershy was in.

We stepped outside into Ponyville, I once again wearing my hat and necklace. Fluttershy was also dressed in a wide-brimmed flowered hat with sunglasses on her face. The disguise, remarkably, seemed to work, as nopony mobbed her again. Twilight was the first to speak up.

“I was just thinking. If you really don’t like being a model, you could always quit.”

“Oh, no. I could never do such a thing. Rarity would be devastated.”

“But Rarity told me…”

At this point, Pinkie Pie burst out of an apple cart. She glared at Twilight, chewing on an apple in a menacing way in a sort of warning. I watched her warily as we continued on.

“Do you think her Pinkie Sense warns her about secrets about to be given away?” I murmured to Twilight.

“I wouldn’t put it past her.” she replied, looking rather frustrated at Pinkie’s vigilance.

“I tried talking to Photo Finish, get her to ease off Flutters for a bit.” Leon told us, speaking out both disappointment and frustration. “But she won’t listen, says that Flutters is only starting to shine over Equestria.

“Oh, if only all these ponies didn’t like me so much. Photo Finish wouldn’t want me to model anymore. She'd find somepony else with…the magic!” she gestured dramatically.

“I suppose so… Wait!” That got my mind spinning. “Possibly… maybe we could… yes, that’s it!” I faced Twilight, who had the same look on her face as I did. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“I think I might be.” she said in an excited tone.

“What? What is it?” Fluttershy and Leon exchanged a look, neither of the two unsure as to how to react.

“Well,” Twilight began, “on your own, you can’t do anything unattractive…”

“Ain’t that the truth?” Leon commented, causing Fluttershy to blush a bit.

“But, if Twilight and I use our magic to make you do something unattractive…”

“No one would want you to model anymore.”

“Meaning you can go back to normal!” Twilight finished with a big grin to me. “And I won’t have to…”

“Exactly!” I cut her off before she could say that bit next. “How does that sound?”

“Well, we tried everything else.” Leon said, favoring the plan.

“That sounds like a good plan.” Fluttershy said, still unsure of it. “Do you really think it'll work?”

“Of course it will, trust us.” Twilight assured.

“Okay, I trust you both. Leon and I are going to get home before anypony notices me. My next catwalk is tomorrow so…”

“We’ll see you then.” I promised with a smile as she and Leon walked off tentatively. Once she had gone, Twilight let out an audible sigh.

“I really hope this plan works. Keeping both their secrets is hard, especially when just telling each other how they feel would fix this. Now, we can’t even say.”

“Quite a dilemma.” I agreed. “Don’t worry. Together, I’m sure we can pull this off. Come on, let’s go and ask Pinkie what she thinks of this.”


On the day of the photoshoot, Twilight and I were backstage with Fluttershy, preparing to put our plan into action. Good thing being friends with Fluttershy gave us access.

“You really think it’ll work?” Fluttershy asked, feeling a little worried.

“They love you for being you.” Twilight told her. “So all we have to do is make you not be you.”

“Yeah. Just leave it to us.” I put in.

“Okay. Thank you, both of you.” Taking in a deep breath, she walked out to face the cameras and the ponies waiting for her. Once she was out on stage, me and Twilight moved into action.

Using magic, both levitation and behavioral spells, we made Fluttershy as unattractive as possible. I did things like make her slide along the floor, trip over and walk upside-down, whilst Twilight made her pick her nose, bark and scratch like a dog, and talk like a mule.

I hated doing this to Fluttershy, making her look so ridiculous and undignified. But I kept telling myself that it was for her own good and that she would ultimately benefit from it. At least it was working as the crowd was now starting to boo and hiss at her display. The two of us exchanged a smile. Our plan was working, it would just need a little more…

“Bravo! I say, bravo!” said a voice as we turned to see that it was Rarity, actually cheering for Fluttershy despite all that she had said, even if this was an opportunity to see her career end. “Such attitude! Such pizzazz! She’s invented an entirely new kind of modeling! Bravo!”

“No!” Twilight despaired as the crowd actually began to cheer and clap for her.


After that, we met her and Leon in her dressing room, where she looked more distressed than ever.

“This is awful, just awful! Somehow I've become more popular than ever.” Fluttershy spoke out. “Oh, I’m so frustrated I could just kick something!” She did so, but the offending vase merely wobbled without falling.

“I’m so sorry, Fluttershy.” I said to her sadly.

“It’s okay, Dusk. You and Twilight both tried your best.” She sighed again. “If only Rarity didn’t want me to be a model so badly.”

“Yeah, the plan would’ve worked if Rarity wasn’t so happy about you getting this career in the first place.” Leon said, disappointed that life wouldn’t go back to normal.

“But Rarity…!” Twilight shoved a hoof in her mouth, just as Rarity burst into the dressing room.

“Fluttershy! Are you all right?”

“I’m great!” she said in a strained voice. “I’m a super famous fashion model. Why wouldn’t I be great?”

“Because you ha…!” Twilight shoved both hooves in her mouth, gazing desperately at me.

“Don’t worry, just a little longer.” I whispered to her. “I got a feeling you won’t have to hold it in much longer.” Out of instinct, I glanced around for Pinkie.

“Out there on the runway, everyone was turning on you and…” Rarity continued, gaining a look of shame. “Oh… oh, Fluttershy. It’s so awful. I wanted them to.”

“You did?!” Fluttershy said, shocked by this.

“Of course she did! Because…” Now it was fruit from a basket that Twilight used to muffle herself.

“I’m jealous!” Rarity admitted. “I wanted all the attention and instead it was going to you. I even started hoping that you would do something silly so your modeling career would be over. But then, when it started happening, all I could think was how could I want you to fail at something you love so much.”

“But… Fluttershy doesn’t… Ugh!” Barely able to contain herself, Twilight shoved her head in a plant pot. At that point, I completely at a loss as to what to do. Thinking some truths were about to be revealed, I simply sat back and watched the two of them.

“Love?” Leon spoke out. “Rarity, she hates being a model.”

“You do?” Rarity said, looking at Fluttershy with surprise.

“More than anything.” Fluttershy told her.

“Then why did you keep doing it?”

“I was afraid if I quit, you'd be mad at me for not wanting to… ‘shine all over Equestria’.”

“But if you didn’t want Flutters to be a model, why didn’t you just say anything?” Leon asked.

“I thought if I told Fluttershy how jealous I was of her success, she’d think I was a terrible friend.”

“Never!” Fluttershy said, reassuring her that she wouldn’t have thought of her like that.

“So I guess that now Flutters doesn’t want to be a model and you don’t want her to be, we’re good?” Leon asked.

“Yes, I do believe we are.” Rarity said as the three shared a smile.

Watching the whole thing, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit, earning a curious glance from both of them along with Leon.

“What?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, what’s so funny?” Leon questioned.

“Nothing.” I said. “It’s just ironic. If you girls had just been honest with each other rather than keeping your feelings secret, this might never have happened.”

“I suppose…it was rather silly of us.” Fluttershy admitted with a giggle.

“I promise never to keep my feelings in secret again.”

“Me too.” With Fluttershy in agreement, the two both vowed simultaneously. “Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

“You were brilliant. Brilliant!” Photo Finish had just arrived on the scene, beside herself with excitement. “I’ve already got six photoshoots lined up for tomorrow alone.”

“I’m sorry, Photo Finish, but I don’t think I’ll be able to make any of them.” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“What?”

Mimicking Finish, both Rarity and Fluttershy said “We go!” Laughing all the while, the two of them left, leaving only Finish, Leon, me, and Twilight (who still had her head in the plant pot).

“Vat has just happened?” asked the photographer, unsure as to what she just witnessed.

“Your model just quit.” Leon told her with a proud smile as he began walking away, going past her. “Next time you tried to make someone famous, make sure they’re ponies who actually want the fame just as much as you.”

“Twilight, you can come out now.” I tapped my fellow unicorn on the shoulder, making her pull her head out of the pot.

“Spike has a crush on Rarity!” Twilight covered her mouth as she realized what she had blurted out, just as Pinkie Pie appeared…from within the mirror.

“And you were doing so well.” she said disappointedly.

“Okay, how did you get in a mirror?” I demanded at last before she ducked down and popped out of a draw in front of me.

"Duh! I used the drawer." She told me, sounding like that made sense when it didn’t.

“But how can you… How does a…” With a sigh, I gestured to Twilight and the two of us followed Rarity, Fluttershy, Leon out with Pinkie following behind.


The following day, the five of us all decided to have a trip to the spa to celebrate Fluttershy’s end to her hated career. Her photos were still on magazines, but she'd drop out of popularity soon enough when there were no more new pictures to take.

Me, Leon, and Fluttershy were relaxing in the big bathtub whilst Twilight was in one of the smaller jacuzzis. Rarity was in a seaweed wrap with cucumbers over her eyes in the steam room where Spike was fanning her as she lay there. I would have pointed out that fanning her was pretty much pointless as it eliminated the point of a steam room, but he seemed to be enjoying it, so I said nothing.

“It’s good to have you back, Fluttershy.” Leon said to her in the big hot tub.

“Thank you. It’s nice to be back.” She sighed as she sank deeper into the water. “Now this is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.”

“Isn’t it, though?” Rarity agreed.

“No arguments here.” I said as I too just lay back and enjoyed the feeling of having no stress or worries. Twilight, at this point, began to recite her report to the Princess.

“Dear Princess Celestia, being a good friend means being able to keep a secret. But you should never be afraid to share your true feelings with a good friend. Did you get all that, Spike?”

“No. I did not.” He lowered his voice so only he, Twilight, and I could hear. “I still can’t believe you told someone about my secret feelings for Rarity.”

“You’re right. That was wrong of me and I’m very sorry.”

“Apology accepted.” he said, happily.

“Now will you take down my letter to Princess Celestia?”

“I would love to. But…I’m a little busy at the moment.” He resumed his fanning of Rarity as Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes.

At this point, I had a thought. Both Fluttershy and Rarity had kept their feelings hidden when the easier solution would have been to be honest with each other in the first place. Could it be the same with me and Twilight? Could we harbor the same feelings of affection, but we were just too scared to say anything.

In the end, I shrugged mentally. Now wasn’t the time to be taxing my mind with such dilemmas. Now was a time to wind down, forget my troubles, and just relax. It was actually quite nice anyway. Besides, I wasn’t ready to tell her my feelings.

Not yet, anyway…

Author's Note:

Seems as though our heroes have learned yet another valuable lesson in friendship. After their long endearment, Rarity and Fluttershy have learned that one should never hide how they truly feel, especially when it comes to one as close as a friend. And, by revealing the feelings they were trying to hide from each other, they not only managed to return to their normal lives, but strengthen their friendship as well. See what else our heroes will learn next time!

Hey, guys! What did you think of the chapter? Sorry it took me so long. Kinda got a little busy a while ago. Was a serious role reversal on attention, huh? Well, now Rarity knows what it’s like to not to be the center of attention and Fluttershy knows what the famous life is like. Much as anything, I say that the bond between these two has now grown to be even stronger. And, as you might’ve seen towards the end, Dusk is now thinking about when he should tell Twilight how he feels. When he will finally tell her? Only time will tell. Now, for the next chapter, you guys are gonna see what the Mane 6 think of old Dusk and his three stallion friends looking back at all that had happened up to this point. Well, that’s all I got for this chapter! Don't forget to comment and rate the story to tell me what you think!