• Published 7th Jul 2019
  • 5,164 Views, 204 Comments

The Magister of the Deep - The Voice in the Water



Sometimes, when the pain is too great and you cry out to the darkness, the Darkness just might reply.

  • ...
7
 204
 5,164

5 – Terracide of the Deep

A mournful howl filled the air as a cold wind blew across an ashen and dead landscape, stirring up small clouds of dust as it passed. Despite the chill in the air, nothing moved. Nothing had moved for thousands of years, not since the cataclysm that left the world a dry, lifeless husk.

Then, for the first time since the world’s death, something stirred. It began as a small pinprick in space/time, but rapidly expanded into a glowing green ring. Beyond the ring’s boundary, there was another world. A living, vibrant world. But the gate’s magic prevented either place from mixing with one another.

A small, purple form stepped through the gate onto the dry, dusty soil of the corpse world. As it passed completely through, the gate contracted to a small speck of green flame.

Twilight had to take a few moments to adjust as she took in the chilling desolation all around her. In the distance, she could see the hollowed out shells of what once must have been a magnificent city, now crumbling into ruin. The ground was littered with broken and decayed remnants of a civilization, nay, world, long dead.

Reaching up to her muzzle, she pressed the breather mask a little tighter.

“Alright Twilight, this is it.” Discord said as he regarded the princess. “When I open the gate, it’ll put you just outside the city where the weapon was lost.”

Twilight nodded. The mask she wore made it impossible to speak, while a fur-tight armored suit covered the rest of her body. Only her wings were left uncovered, and they were protected by a thin spell field to keep the air from escaping the seals in her armor.

“Remember, don’t remove your armor. The atmosphere of the world I’m sending you to has been stagnant for centuries.” He said as he taped his eagle talon against the crystal faceplate over Twilight’s eyes. “Take it off, and you’ll have maybe thirty seconds before you suffocate.”

Twilight shuddered nervously, but nodded.

“Well, this is it.” Discord said as he lifted his paw and, with a flick of his wrist, tore open a hole in space the size of a bit. “I’m sorry I can’t get you closer, but the weapon’s power would disrupt the gate.”

Looking up at the draconequs, Twilight saw an expression she rarely saw on Discord. Concern.

“Listen. Be careful. As fascinating as I’m sure you’d find exploring the remnants of a dead civilization, I can’t keep the gate open forever. Not without drawing unwanted attention. Get in, get the weapon, get back to the portal, and I’ll bring you home.”

Under the mask, Twilight smiled before nodding and putting a hoof on Discord’s goat leg, as though trying to tell him that she’d be careful. The Spirit of Chaos regarded her for a moment before nodding and, flicking his wrist once more, pulled the portal open enough for Twilight to pass through.

“Good luck.” He said as she leapt through.

Small eddies of ash swirled around Twilight’s body as she made her way towards the shell of the city. When she’d first arrived, she’d tried to fly, but found that the thin atmosphere didn’t provide enough support for her to gain any lift, even with the use of her pegasus magic. So, she’d been forced to trot through the wasteland, the oppressive desolation of the landscape hanging over her like a shroud. The grey, ashen sky and ruined detritus of the world’s inhabitants were bad enough as is, but that wasn’t the worst of it.

The worst were the corpses.

She’d unexpectedly stumbled on the fist one earlier. She’d rounded a corner near one of the wrecked buildings near the top of a tall hill, and come on the remains sprawled out on the ground. When she spotted the thing, she’d nearly jumped out of her skin. Twice the height of a pony, the creature resembled some sort of massive, eleven-legged crab / snail hybrid. It was obvious what had killed it, even from a distance: a massive hole had been punched through its shell, leaving its innards exposed.

She’d approached the corpse, gingerly touching it with a hoof. As she did, the entire thing broke apart and collapsed into a heap, disintegrating into millions of small, shattered pieces. Twilight had instinctively bolted in horror. Yet, as she galloped past the building she found herself staring down into the wasteland below.

The sight nearly brought her to tears.

In all directions, the cold, dead remains of the world’s previous occupants laid in twisted heaps, like some sort of grotesque sculpture garden. Discord had said that all life had been stripped from this world by the Deep, but the extent was both horribly awe inspiring, and truly terrible.

This wasn’t a world. It was a graveyard. A massive, planet sized graveyard.

“Sunset won’t stop until all life there is extinguished.”

Would this be the fate of the other world if she failed? Would it be reduced to a lifeless husk? Was this Equestria’s fate if she didn’t stop Sunset? Before, it had been an abstraction. An idea and a fear. But as she gazed out onto the thousands of bodies littering the ground beneath her, that fear was crystalized into a solid, horrific revelation of what was to come, and what the price of failure was.

Deep in her heart, the weight of her task became even greater. Even after saving the world nearly a dozen times, and having faced down beings as terrible as King Sombra and Tirek, she’d never come face to face with the consequences of failing as tangibly as this. It wasn’t conquest, or just wanton destruction. This was terracide.

Standing in the soft ash, Twilight took several deep, cleansing breaths, bringing her hoof up to her chest on the inhale and bringing it away as she exhaled. Even in the claustrophobic confines of her mask, Cadance’s breathing technique helped calm her. But only slightly.

I have to keep moving. She thought to herself. The longer I’m here, the longer Sunset has to wreak havoc.

With one final calming breath, Twilight began to head towards the city.

*Canterlot Pistol and Rifle Range*

Luna sighted down the barrel of her M4 and brought her finger to the trigger. Her breathing was calm and collected, coming out in small puffs of mist in the cool winter afternoon. A loud crack shook the air as she squeezed the trigger, sending the first round down the range toward the paper target. One bullet was soon followed by another as the metal slugs tore into the target.

Once her magazine was empty, Luna removed the clip, checked the chamber, set the safety and put the weapon down, barrel pointing towards the range, before flipping the switch to bring the target forward. Pulling off her ear protection, she inspected the results of her handiwork. Most of the shots had either gone through the head or heart, with only a few veering off target.

I’m getting rusty. She thought bitterly as she took down the old target and hung a new one.

Putting her ear protection back on, Luna picked up the next magazine and slotted it into her rifle. Sighing, she drew the weapon back up and flipped off the safety. As she began to fire, she started to relax, the almost meditative process of shooting her rifle taking her mind off of her sister’s death. The pain was still there, but the act of focusing her mind on something else helped her cope.

Magazine expended, she went through her safety routine again and brought the target forward to inspect. She was still missing a few shots. Luna sighed. If they were still in the service, Steel Carbine would’ve given her hell for such sloppy shooting.

Luna heard a knock on the wall separating her range from the next one over. Turning, she saw the familiar, gunmetal grey face of Steel Carbine standing by the partition, her arms crossed and a concerned look on her face. Despite her 5’6” height, Steel Carbine cut an intimidating figure with her fierce demeanor, and the fact she was built like a tank, her ample muscle obvious even through her civilian clothes.

“Alright, Nightmare Moon, what’s going on?” She said, using the nickname Luna had picked up during their time together in the Marines. Of all the people she knew, Carbine was one of the only people alive who could call her that without having to worry about being put in an arm-bar.

“What do you mean Carbine? Nothing’s going on. It’s been too long since I shot, and I wanted to shake off the rust.” Luna said, her voice laced with a defensive edge. “Is that a crime now?”

Carbine gave Luna one of her patented ‘I’m not buying it’ looks as she regarded her friend. “Luna, don’t give me that bullshit. I’ve known you long enough to know that there’s something wrong. And from what I’m seeing over there,” she flicked her head towards the target, “something’s really eating at you. C’mon Luna, I’m your friend. And I’m worried.”

Luna turned away, putting both her hands on the bench at the head of the range and slumping her shoulders. Of course Carbine knew something was wrong. Sighing, she kept her back to the other woman, her voice heavy with pain “You heard about my sister, right?”

Carbine closed her eyes and sighed as she shook her head. “Yea. I’m sorry Luna. Damn shame too. Your sis was one hell of a lady.”

“Yea, she was.” Luna sighed as she picked up her rifle and stared at it wistfully. As she set it down, she caught Carbine giving her a pointed look, her mouth pinched into a tight frown.

“I know that look Luna, so I’m going to give you some advice as your friend and your former C.O.: Don’t. Don’t let this thing eat you alive, and don’t take this into your own hands. This isn’t Saddle Arabia.”

“Dammit Carbine, don’t you think I know that!” Luna hissed as she wheeled around to face her friend. “I know I can’t go all Die Hard and take the law into my own hands. But what else can I do? You didn’t see their bodies like I did. I had to identify the remains. I had to look at my sister’s face as she was laying on the slab.”

A rare tear found its way down Luna’s face. Carbine’s brow furrowed even further, but she remained respectfully silent.

“Fuck, girl! I thought I was used to it. But it's one thing to see your squad mates going home in pine boxes. It’s another to see your own sister like that. There was barely anything left of her. Just half a torso and head. I don’t even know what could have done it. All of the wounds were just fucking wrong! No burns. No tearing. Its like a chunk of her body stopped existing.”

Luna pounded her fists against the loading table, her whole body shaking with rage and frustration.

“How can I just let this go? I need to do something. I can’t just let this be!”

Carbine’s face slowly relaxed as she approached the other woman.

“Y’know what. I’m not going to say it’s going to be alright.” She said as she reached up and put her hand on the taller woman’s shoulder, causing Luna to flinch slightly. “But I am going to say that maybe you’re unfairly beating yourself up over this. It’s not your fault. Maybe if you’d been there, you could have done something. Maybe it would be Celestia looking at your corpse in the morgue. Who knows? But you can’t blame yourself.”

Luna turned to retort, but the look on Steel Carbine’s face stopped her.

“Look, you want to shoot and work off some anger? Fine. I won’t stop you. Better you do that than go all vigilantes on me. But I want you to promise me that you won’t do anything rash. We’ve both lost too many friends for you to end up like that too. And, please, don’t bottle it up. I’m here for you.”

Luna sighed as she unclenched her fists, relaxing a bit. The anger was still there, and would be there for a long time, but at least the flames had been quenched a little. Carbine was right. She was her friend. More than that, she was someone who could relate.

“Thanks Carbine. I mean it.”

“Of course Luna. What’re friends for?” Carbine said as she gave Luna a friendly backhanded punch to the shoulder. Looking at her watch, Carbine grunted. “I’ve got some stuff to take care of in the office, so I’ve got to go. But I expect you to stop by before you leave. Maybe we could share a cold one for old time’s sake.”

“Yea, I’d like that.” Luna said as Carbine began to walk away. Turning back to the bench, Luna removed the old target, and replaced it with a new one. Flicking the switch to send it down the field, she picked up her rifle, set her hearing protection back in place, and slipped the next magazine into the weapon.

Raising the rifle to her shoulder, she sighted down the barrel, and brought her finger up to the trigger.

*****

Walking across the open gravel leading up to the range’s main office building, Luna found herself pulling her coat a little tighter around her body. Looking around, she considered the strange, oddly chilling mist had rolled in over the last few minutes. While it was rare to have haze this time of year, there was something more to it.

The whole range was too quiet. When she first noticed the mist, she’d also realized that the sound of the other people using the range had slowly died down. At first she’d dismissed it as the other shooters choosing to stop when the mist started to spoil their line of sight. But now, as she was walking through the swirling eddies, she began to have her doubts.

Because there was no chatter of the other people at the range. Even if the mist had forced them to stop, there would still be other people around. But there was nobody. No sign of others in the nearby ranges. No one at the loading benches.

Nothing.

Quickening her pace, Luna made her way towards Steel Carbine’s office. Every one of her instincts were telling her that something was very, very wrong.

The trail turned to the right, giving Luna a clear view of the small building that held the range’s administrative center. Now jogging, Luna reached the door and pulled it open, happy to be out of the cold fog. Making her way deeper into the building, Luna approached Steel Carbine’s office.

“Carbine, you in there?” Luna said as she knocked.

No reply.

“Carbine? Its Luna.”

Silence.

“Carbine! What’s going on?” Luna shouted.

Growing afraid, Luna grabbed the door handle and burst into the office. Looking around, she spotted Carbine’s arm poking out from behind her desk.

“Carbine!” Luna shouted as she rushed to her friend, dropping her duffel bag in her haste.

Rounding the desk, Luna her hands up to her mouth and staggered back, a pained, choked gasp escaping her throat. Carbine, or rather, what was left of her, was sprawled out face down on the floor in a rapidly expanding pool of blood. Like Celestia and Sombra, Carbine’s body was riddled with the same smooth, unnatural wounds. Dropping to her knees, Luna pushed down her horror and desperately tried to see if there was anything she could do. After a few frantic seconds, reality set in, and Luna got to her feet.

Choking back her tears, she pulled her phone from her pocket and dialed 911. Bringing the phone to her ear, she waited for the call to go through. Nothing happened. No ringing. Nothing.

Looking down at the phone, she saw, to her horror, that she had reception. But somehow, the call hadn’t gone through.

“What the fuck is going on?” She whispered.

As she continued to stare at the device, she saw something out of the corner of her eye through the office window. It was barely noticeable, but there was something moving outside in the mist, but she couldn’t make it out. But what she saw made her blood run cold: two glowing pinpricks of light shining through the mist, like a pair of sinister eyes staring into the office at her.

Ducking down low, Luna crawled on her hands and knees back around the desk to her fallen bag. Quickly unzipping it, she retrieved her M4 and a fresh magazine. Slapping the cartridge into the receiver, she released the safety and switched the weapon into its burst-fire setting. Readying the gun as she leaned up against the desk, Luna took a deep breath before standing and pointing the weapon towards the window in a single smooth motion.

Nothing. No movement. No sinister lights. No hint of anything outside other than mist.

I need to get out of here. She thought as she ducked back behind the desk. Something seriously fucked up is going on.

Sparing one last look at Carbine’s body and choking back a sob, Luna snatched two more clips from her bag and clipped them to her belt. Ammo and gun ready, she made a quick sprint to the door, pressing herself against the frame and brought the rifle up against her body. Slowly pulling the door open, she peeked out into the hallway. Spotting nothing, she rushed out, weaving from one room to the next as she made her way to the front door.

Pressing herself against the frame, she peaked out of the window. Spotting nothing, she opened the door and swung it open. When nothing happened, she swung around the frame, bringing the rifle up to her shoulder and quickly sweeping the area in front of the building.

Still no sign of anything.

Cautiously stepping out of the building, she kept the rifle at her shoulder as she swept the area. Keeping close to the building, she began to move towards the parking lot.

As she maneuvered towards her car, she could swear she felt something behind her. It wasn’t any natural sensation, but rather, an overwhelming sense of dread that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. Whipping around and bringing the rifle up, she barely had time to react as she saw a flash of purple light burst through the mist and come barreling towards her. Years of combat instincts kicked in as she rolled to the side, the bolt of light striking the side of the building and blasting a hole straight through it.

Rolling into a crouched firing position, Luna brought the rifle up and pulled the trigger twice, sending a volley of six bullets towards where the lethal bolt had come from, the mist swallowing the sound of the gun’s report.

Nothing happened. No sound of a body falling. No scream of pain.

Nothing.

Not waiting to see if whatever it was that attacked her was going to try again, Luna rose to her feet and dashed to a nearby tree, pressing her back to the trunk and taking a few deep, ragged breaths to calm her heart. Another flash of purple light briefly shone in the mist. Ducking down, Luna barely dodged the bolt as it slammed into the tree, blasting the trunk apart and sending the upper half crashing to the ground behind her.

Scrambling to her feet, Luna broke into a low sprint towards a nearby thicket of trees, putting as much distance as she could between her and the unknown attacker as she could while trying to find cover.

Its toying with me! Luna thought. Whatever this thing is, its fucking toying with me!

Breaking through some of the low brush, Luna threw herself behind another tree, wincing slightly as she pressed herself hard against the rough bark. The brush wasn’t thick enough to provide sufficient cover, but some protection was better than none. Bringing the rifle against her body, she scanned the area behind her for any sign of whatever was out there.

At first, there was only silence, as though even the wind was afraid to make any noise. Yet, as Luna strained her ears to pick up any stray sound through the haze, she began to hear something. It was subtle, but it was just audible at the very edge of her hearing.

The sound of the slow flapping of a massive pair of wings.

Luna slowed and steadied her breathing, keeping as quiet as possible. The slow flapping was becoming louder by the second. Luna strained her hearing, trying to figure out exactly where the sound was coming from, but try as she might, she couldn’t tell. What she could tell was that whatever was approaching, it was taking its time.

Luna eyes darted across the open field she’d just fled from, scanning not the just at ground level, but in the air as well.

The flapping was growing steadily louder, but she still couldn’t tell where it was coming from. As she scanned the field and sky behind her, she felt a subtle shadow fall across her hiding spot. Instantly, her head snapped around and looked up into the sky above her. What she saw caused her blood to freeze in her veins.

Luna was accustomed to fear, both in using it, and confronting it. During her time in Saddle Arabia, she’d earned the hated nickname Nightmare Moon for the terror she inspired in the enemy through the sheer ferocity and cunning of her battlefield presence. But to be feared, she had to know fear. And by knowing fear, overcome it.

But, that had all been mundane, natural fear. Fear that a rational mind could comprehend and overcome.

The creature floating above her on a pair of mismatched wings, on the other hand, did not inspire natural fear. No. The terror that now had its hands lovingly wrapped around her throat and heart was a different type of fear. The fear of the unknown. Of the unnatural. Of the impossible.

Even with all she’d seen, both in Saddle Arabia, and at her own school in the last year, the creature above her eclipsed them all in its sheer, profound, and almost complete wrongness. Every rational nerve in her brain was screaming at her that the thing could not exist. That it shouldn’t exist. But, try as she might, her eyes stubbornly refused to unsee it.

Luna held her breath as the unnatural, daemonic entity slowly twitched and shuddered, its body spasming as it simply floated in the air just above the naked branches of the trees, its glowing eyes boring directly into her. Its right hand glowing the same sickly purple radiance that had blown apart the last tree it struck. In an instant, Luna’s mind connected the dots and screamed for her to run.

Awkwardly lurching forward, Luna barely managed to dodge as the light erupted from the creature’s hand and flew towards her in a shower of hundreds of shrieking needles. Chancing a look back, Luna saw the spot where she’d just been standing riddled with tiny holes. A fraction of a second slower, and that would have been her. Another flash of purple light from above pulled Luna out of her horrified reverie, and she scrambled forward, nearly dropping her rifle as another volley of needles riddled the ground where she’d been crouched.

Pushing off a tree, Luna barely avoided another volley as she ducked and weaved through the brush, the creature lazily taking potshots at her.

Luna staggered forward, her breath ragged and uneven as she narrowly avoided another shower of glowing death. She couldn’t keep this up. Sooner or later, the creature would either tire of playing with her, or she would misstep, and then that would be that. Even if it was futile, she had to take a chance and try to put a bullet into the thing. She wasn’t sure if she could even hurt whatever it was, but if she was going to die, she had to put up a fight.

The telltale wailing of the creature’s next attack sounded, and Luna knew that it was now or never. Diving forward, she tucked into a roll as the volley slammed into the ground just behind her. Landing on her feet, she swung around and trained her rifle onto the creature, and pulled the trigger three times. Time slowed to a crawl as the bullets tore through the air. Then, they impacted.

The air split with a furious, unholy shriek of pain as the creature recoiled, phosphorescent white fluid bursting from where the bullets struck. Clutching its shoulder, the creature flapped its wings hard, as it put distance between itself and Luna, shimmering fluid raining down in its wake before it simply vanished into thin air.

Luna didn’t waste any time marveling at the fact that she’d apparently hurt the thing, or at the suddenness of its disappearance. Instead, she quickly rose to her feet and turned to run.

Only to come face to face with the creature as it flew straight at her through the trees, right arm cocked back and fist wreathed in purple balefire, murder in its glowing fountains for eyes. Before she could raise her rifle to fire, the creature had closed the distance between them. Twisting its lower body forward, Luna couldn’t react before the creature’s feet skidded across the ground and it twisted its body around, slamming its fist directly into her sternum in a straight punch. Luna didn’t even have time to gasp in pain. There was a terrible instant as she was lifted into the air by the force of the blow, before the balefire discharged with a shriek, blasting a hole straight through her torso.

Luna arced up into the air from the force of the impact, before crashing into a tree and falling to the ground in a crumpled heap. She could barely move through the shock and pain as the life rapidly drained out of her. The last thing she saw as the light faded from her eyes was the sight of the creature standing over her, the wounds she’d inflicted rapidly closing up.

Slowly, she shut her eyes as darkness claimed her.

Author's Note:

Rest in peace Luna.