• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 9,120 Views, 433 Comments

A Forgotten Trooper - TheIronPone035



A lone clone trooper finds himself stranded on a planet previously unknown to the galaxy. A planet, inhabited by a race of pastel ponies, all completely oblivious to the war just beyond their sky...

  • ...
25
 433
 9,120

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Heated Stare

When they had been at the base of the mountain, the wave of smoke looked like a large river. Now, it looked like a massive lake of coal black smog. Most of it was flowing right through the ceiling of the cave and into the sky, but a few stray puffs were much lower and caused Rarity to cough a bit.

Twilight trotted in front of the group, her expression focused and determined;

"Alright everypony, we're here. Rainbow Dash, I want you to clear out the smoke with your wings." The unicorn instructed, watching Rainbow take off into the sky before turning to face Rarity and Pinkie.

"Rarity and Pinkie Pie, I need you to create a distraction in case things go badly." Twilight stated. Pinkie quickly grabbed a rubber chicken out of her saddlebags and began waving it around for an example.

Twilight held back her confusion and turned to face Applejack and Strider. "Applejack and Strider, I need you two to be ready to throw apples and, whatever that machine does if the dragon attacks."

Applejack grabbed a pair of apples from her saddlebags and bucked them into a nearby tree with enough force to cause the fruits to shatter on impact. Strider just saluted, questioning why he was following Twilight's orders. It was probably because he didn't exactly have a plan himself.

"But it shouldn't come to that, because Fluttershy will do what she needs to do to wake the dragon up. With me following, both of us should be able to convince him to find another spot. Now, let's go." Twilight declared, walking into the cave.

Strider stood there for a few seconds, before spotting the unicorn coming out of the cave, a confused look across her face. The trooper then looked over to see that Fluttershy hadn't moved an inch since Twilight finished. Not only that, but she had stuck her head into the dirt completely.

"How the heck can she even breath?" Strider questioned, before kneeling down and removing Fluttershy's head from the dirt.

The others just shrugged, but Twilight's patience was wearing thin. "Come on Fluttershy, we need to go, now!"

Twilight tried to push Fluttershy towards the cave, but the pegasus remained planted on the dirt, not budging. The next thing Strider knew, the rest of the ponies joined Twilight in pushing. Yet even with the combined force of five ponies, Fluttershy only went a few inches before she anchored her hooves into the dirt, causing her to stop moving again.

"I-I can't." Fluttershy stuttered, looking at the ground.

"Why?" The group of ponies asked in unison.

"I'm, afraid of dragons." She stated in an apologetic tone.

Strider was about to question why, but quickly remembered that not only was Fluttershy a civilian, but a shy one to be exact. This isn't a place for her. He should of said that before the group began the trip.

"Alright everyone, back it up, give her some space." Strider exclaimed, walking over to Fluttershy.

The group did what Strider asked them, backing up a couple of feet. Strider knelt down next to Fluttershy, setting his blaster aside. Fluttershy looked up at Strider, but only for a few seconds before she went back to staring at the ground.

Strider looked over at the other ponies, before sighing. He put his hands over his helmet, and removed it, exposing his face to the others. Behind them, Twilight had begun to think out loud a new plan, but Strider tuned her out. Instead, he looked right into Fluttershy's eyes.

"Fluttershy, I've been through my fair share of scary things, things that sometimes get my bones rattled. But I had to face them to complete the mission, for the good of the Republic, and for my brothers. You can't shy away from something forever, especially when someone you care about needs you." Strider said.

Fluttershy looked up at the trooper for a few seconds, before shying back to the ground. "I-I- I just, can't."

Strider sighed, before putting his hand on the top of her head. "Alright then," Strider said, before standing back up. "Sorry, but you'll have to finish the mission without her."

Twilight was about to protest, but glanced over at Fluttershy. She nodded.

"Ok then, everypony back to your positions." Twilight instructed.

Strider put his helmet back on and picked up his blaster. "You can take shelter behind that rock if you want." He exclaimed to the yellow pegasus.

Fluttershy looked over at the rock Strider was pointing at, seeing that it was one of the largest on the cliffside. She gave Strider a muffled 'ok' and trotted over towards it. Once she was out of sight, Strider made his way over towards the cave and took cover on the right side of the entrance.

Twilight went back into the cave, the other's watching her until she faded once again into the sea of darkness. Strider made sure the DC-15S was primed, before aiming down the cave into the darkness.

Tension quickly engulfed the area, making some sweat, while others got themselves prepared to fight. What was actually a few minutes felt like an hour, everyone waiting for Twilight to come out with her head held high, or with panic on her face. Then, Twilight came stumbling out, coughing up smoke that had made its way into her lungs.

"Well then. I guess it's my turn." Rarity stated, walking into the cave.

She lasted shorter than Twilight, quickly being pushed out by another wave of smoke. Strider was about to say something, but the words died in his throat when he noticed Pinkie, who was now wearing some sort of party suit. She put on a heartwarming smile, and waddled in her flippered hooves slapping against the stone ground.

Yeah, Strider expected her to last the shortest. She came out of the cave with all the balloons she was holding popped and one of the flippers she was wearing was nowhere to be seen.

"ALRIGHT, ENOUGH MISTER NICE PONY!" Rainbow Dash declared, taking off into the cave.

"Uh oh," Everypony else muttered, while Strider quickly aimed into the darkness.

They heard Rainbow shout something, followed by what might of been a buck. Then, silence. Once again the area was plunged into tension, but it lasted much shorter than before. A loud roar echoed from the cave, followed by Rainbow Dash rolling like a bowling ball right into the group of ponies, knocking them to the ground.

That was Strider's cue. The trooper abandoned his cover and aimed into the darkness, ready to take a shot. However, instead of the cave, he saw a red and yellow scaled dragon looming above him.

"Oh son of a-" Strider couldn't finish his sentence, getting cut off as the dragon smacked his tail against the trooper, sending him flying into a rock.

With a grunt of pain, Strider got back up and aimed his blaster between the dragons eyes. He pulled the trigger, but the blue bolts of plasma didn't make it past the dragons tough scales. All the bolt did was scorch some of the dragons body and make it even more angry.

It sucked in a lungful of smoke free air, and unleashed a wave of fire from its mouth. Strider tried to dodge, but the dragon simply adjusted its aim and struck the trooper. Heat quickly filled his body, his white armor turning grey as parts of it were engulfed in flames.

Before Strider could attempt to put it out, the dragon used its tail to smack the trooper, who was sent flying back into the rock which had been weakened by the previous blow. Strider's impact was so strong, that the entire top bit of the rock broke off with him, causing a chunk of the rock to fly over the edge. Strider was about to join it before he spotted an outcropped ledge and reached for it. His hands met their marks, stopping him from suffering the same fate as the rock and the now falling DC-15S.

Strider glanced downwards, watching as his blaster and the rock faded from view into the forest below. His armor had managed to take most of the heat, but many parts of it were now scorched, turning it a greyish black.

"Uh girls? Someone? Anyone?" Strider called out, noticing that the ledge was beginning to crumble from his weight.

Right before the ledge gave way completely, a yellow hoof extended out towards Strider. The trooper grabbed the hoof with his right hand, using his left to help himself climb up.

Once Strider was back on the cliff, he let out a deep breath. That had been way to close. He looked over at Fluttershy, who smiled warmly at him. Then, the mare turned around, her smile vanishing instantly. She flew away from Strider and right in front of the dragon, who had just launched the rest of her friends into another rock.

"NOW LISTEN HERE MISTER," Fluttershy shouted, landing right on the dragon's face. "Just because you're big doesn't mean you get to be a bully!

Strider, along with the other ponies watched, slack jawed as Fluttershy stared down the dragon, still shouting.

"Just because you have big teeth and sharp scales and snore smoke and breath fire, but you do not, I repeat do NOT HURT MY FRIENDS!" Fluttershy proclaimed. "You got that?"

The dragon lowered his head away from Fluttershy, looking up at her weakly. "But that rainbow one kicked me." He stated.

"And i'm very sorry about that, but you're bigger than she is and you should know better." Fluttershy exclaimed.

Next thing Strider knew, he was watching Fluttershy SCOLD the dragon. She even managed to get the dragon to cry a little. After the talk was done, Fluttershy patted the dragon on the head, before flying down to the ground.

The others quickly recovered from their shock and went over to congratulate and cheer Fluttershy, but Strider was still frozen in place. How, just... how? Strider was expecting them all to try and talk with the dragon, but one single pony managed to not only make it leave, but caused it to tear up and feel bad about what it did.

After awhile, the others noticed Strider's lack of movement and went over to him. Rainbow waved a hoof in front of Strider but no reaction triggered.

"Strider? Hello?" Twilight asked, wondering if this was normal for his species or not.

Finally, he snapped out of his shock and looked down at the ponies. "Let's... just get back."

With those words said and done, the group began their journey back down the mountain. They spotted the dragon taking off into the sky which had begun to clear up, the sunlight breaking through once again.

This was definitely the strangest planet he's been on... He glanced back at the group of ponies who were now cheering for their friend. But it was also one of the more interesting ones.

Author's Note:

Wow, I just re-read this and saw several mistakes. I'm sorry about my crazy writing and will re-read all the chapters I wrote and fix them.

This means that the chapters will take longer to make due to me checking over, but I should have been doing that from the start to be honest.

However, I would like to shout out Silver Octave who was kind enough to offer to edit this story. However, I want this story to be my entrance to authorization. Yeah I know physical books also have editors, but I want to set a bar for myself.

Anyways, to end this ramble, Thank you all for the support and getting this story to the features box three times! I Pinkie Promise to do my best to keep this story updated and filled.

Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! :pinkiesmile:

Oh god, i've just written my pink note doing that didn't I? failure is no longer an option...

PreviousChapters Next