• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,986 Views, 332 Comments

Shining Together - Bookish Delight



Starlight invites herself back to the human world, and asks Sunset to come along. Anything and everything that follows is entirely on their shoulders. Or maybe not.

  • ...
0
 332
 1,986

9: And Now For Something Completely Different

"That's... not too high a bar," Starlight said, casting another look at the surrounding tall structures. "One nature-themed door qualifies as a complete change of pace for this city almost all by itself."

"Point taken," Sunset said. "Still, when you first came here, I was ready to take you someplace like Sugarcube Corner, or Canterlot Mall, or even maybe one of the schools, so you could meet some of the others. You know, do the usual whole 'mass friendship' thing." Sunset shrugged. "Pinkie wouldn't have let you escape without a massive party. The louder, the better."

Starlight sucked in her teeth. "Yeeeaaah, good point. Thanks for swerving that. I mean, I'm definitely okay with doing all that stuff later? After... you know."

"Right. Healing first, for as long as that takes. Then back into the world." Sunset placed her hand on Starlight's shoulder as the two shared a mutual smile.

"I'm going to run out of ways to thank you for this. Still, if we're not doing any of those things you just mentioned..."

Sunset turned the knob to the wooden door, pushed it open, and gestured for Starlight to walk inside. Starlight did so—then, moments later, ran back out. She looked left, she looked right, she looked up, then went back in. The door closed again.

Then she poked her head back out the door, looked outside again, looked inside again... and, finally, met Sunset with a mock-accusing glare.

"You... did that on purpose," Starlight said with wide eyes. "You totally knew what was in here. Also, wow, you weren't kidding."

With a satisfied grin, Sunset shrugged again, and followed Starlight inside.

===

The mixed aromas of coffee beans, tea, liquor and honey wafted past Sunset's nostrils as she entered, and closed the door behind herself. She could tell Starlight smelled it too, though, fortunately, it didn't seem to put her off. If anything, Sunset could see Starlight wander a short distance, attempting to follow the scents to their source for a short while—before realizing that they were coming from everywhere, and giving up.

Next to tickle Sunset and Starlight's senses were the pianos, horns, and saxophones, all echoing in slow, lilting, bluesy jazz numbers—typical for the establishment.

Finally, Sunset's eyes adjusted to the low light, allowing her to take in what Starlight had already glimpsed. It'd been a while since even Sunset had been here, and she could thus see that the owner had redecorated somewhat, but the overall motif was still unmistakable.

The indoor was set up to look like the inside of a hollowed out tree, with its walls decked out with pictures of famous musicians and meticulously crafted tribal masks, and its shallow counters accessorized with vintage colored bottles and cans of all manner of drinks, from coffees to soft drinks to spirits.

Woven baskets adorned the floor. Sacks and gourds hung from above to accentuate the foliage lining the ceiling. And along the walls were ornate booths, sporting large, roomy felt fabric-lined seats that Sunset knew were the most comfortable Starlight would have the pleasure of sitting—no, slouching in.

Sunset took Starlight's hand, motioning to a polished wooden bar countertop to their immediate northeast, in the same faux-oak style, and adorned with several liquid-filled bottles and drink-mixing machines. Inscribed on the wall above the counter was the unmistakable, minimalist insignia of a black spider, in the same decorative style as the wall masks.

"Why does this... look so familiar?" Starlight whispered. "And why can't I place it no matter how hard I try?"

"Probably because even in Equestria, you've only been here once or twice. Starlight Glimmer," Sunset said, "welcome to Zecora's."