• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 1,985 Views, 332 Comments

Shining Together - Bookish Delight



Starlight invites herself back to the human world, and asks Sunset to come along. Anything and everything that follows is entirely on their shoulders. Or maybe not.

  • ...
0
 332
 1,985

11: Homecoming

Sunset opened her eyes as the memory faded, wiping stray tears—which were part and parcel by now—with one hand. She beckoned for Starlight to follow as she approached the bar.

As they did so, they were stopped by the sound of a woman humming a tune, melodic and longing, which replaced the jazz over the PA system. The patrons at the other tables and booths hushed, leaving only the humming, which reached a nearly hymn-like timbre the longer it progressed.

And then, just as gradually, it morphed into a determined groaning, echoing around Sunset and Starlight, surrounding them, closing in on them. Both girls looked around, unable to find any other source.

The humming stopped, leaving a thick silence, easy for anyone to cut, much less the thick-accented voice which next chanted over the PA system:

"First she tries to drink me into the ground—then only after several months is she found?"

Sunset sighed inwardly, and chuckled outwardly. She'd placed odds that this would happen. Not that she blamed who the voice belonged to. Still, no sense in rolling over and providing instant satisfaction. That wasn't the Shimmer style.

She took a deep breath, and did the one thing Sunset Shimmer knew best: take a chance.

"You challenged me. It proved amusing," Sunset replied, with crossed arms, her practiced confident smile, and a raised voice which reached across the shop. "You ever settle on your excuse for losing?"

Scattered giggles and titters could be heard from the patrons in the other booths.

To the side of the bar, a bell-adorned curtain jingled—one which had an "Employees Only" sign above it. It jingled, it rustled, it was pulled to the side.

A gray woman stood in the doorway, wearing a dark red garden dress with all manner of flower designs printed on it, from roses to lilies to orchids. Distinctive angled black skin markings protruded from her dress's neck and wrist lines. A piercing stare, which matched Sunset's intensity, looked perfectly at home with her wild brown eyes, and ivory-highlighted nappy black hair.

The woman's gaze, straight and determined, bore those wild eyes straight into Sunset's, to the point where Sunset fought the reflexive urge to step back—and only barely succeeded.

"I decided that manners and decency, I possess," the woman said, walking towards Sunset with narrowing eyes. "And that despite my efforts, someone always held far less."

Sunset strode towards the woman in kind, still holding on to what little momentum of image the woman hadn't already usurped. "What can I say? You did what you could."

As the two closed the space between them, Sunset took one more chance. She stopped, her voice softening, her eyes meeting the woman's in return. "Trust me, though: from where I'm standing... you did pretty good."

Silence ruled the shop again, for several moments.

Then the woman smiled wide, and held out her arms. Sunset's face immediately brightened as well, and she ran into them, giggling like a girl half her age. She felt strong arms embrace her—strong arms which she had called home so many times.

"Flattery will get you everywhere, Sunshine," the woman said. "Bonus points if you mean it."

"I do," Sunset said, briefly resting her head on the woman's shoulder. "This time."

The two broke apart, and the woman laughed, loud and long. "At last, I have seen it! Hello, my little pony." Her eyes twinkled. "Is this the day you return to me?"

Sunset looked away with a blush. "Hi, Miss Zecora. Sorry I haven't come around much. It's been a... very eventful year."

"Eventful?" Zecora, said, reaching into one of her dress's pockets, and producing a small plastic cube with a granite-colored object inside it. "Or magical?"

Sunset got a closer look, then gasped as she just barely memorized a chunk of familiar inscription. "This is... oh my gosh, Zecora, this is a piece of the Memory Stone!"

"Merely my latest acquisition," Zecora said, putting the cube back in her pocket. "I felt it might have been part of your mission—"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Hang on! Rewind."

Both ladies turned to see Starlight Glimmer, with wide eyes and a dropped jaw to match.

"My little what?"