• Published 11th Aug 2012
  • 1,795 Views, 36 Comments

Mummy... Why am I different? - gingercolt



Dinky knew she was different, but she did'nt know why. Mummy loved her, but no one else did.

  • ...
5
 36
 1,795

Mummy... Why am i different?

Dinky Hooves knew she was different to the other foals in her class, but she just didn’t understand why. I mean, Dinky had the same look as the other foals; she was the right size for her age, so why was she treated so differently? It couldn’t be because she was a unicorn; there were 4 other unicorns also in her class. The answer was because Dinky just couldn’t understand certain things as well as the others. When in class, she would always get work that was too hard for her, even though everyone else seemed to finish it in no time. Miss Cheerilee had told her that she just needed a little boost to catch up with everyone else, but no matter what she tried, she just couldn’t seem to grasp it. This made Dinky sad and sometimes even cry, because she wanted to be smart like everyone else. I would have said like the rest of her friends, but the thing was, Dinky didn’t have any friends.

Whenever she would go up to her classmates during recess and ask if she could join in their games, they would just stare at her as if she just said something horrible. Most times, they would then continue on with their games, taking no further notice of little Dinky, but sometimes, sometimes they would tease her. “Stupid” “Retarded” and “Idiot” was the most common insults directed at Dinky, and she hated it. All she ever wanted was to have 1 friend, nothing more, so why were they teasing her so much? If it all became too much for Dinky, she would run off and cry softly under the shelter of the big willow tree until classes began. You might be thinking, why didn’t she tell Cheerilee? Dinky might not be all that smart, but she knows what a tattle tale is, and she also knows that if she told of her tormenters, the teasing would only increase.

Actually, you remember before when I said that Dinky didn’t have any friends, I was wrong. She does have one, mummy.
Derpy Hooves was in Dinky’s eyes, the best mummy who ever existed. They couldn’t be more alike, they both had grey coats and lovely blonde manes, and they shared all the same interests. The only difference was, Derpy was a Pegasus and Dinky was a unicorn. The days they spent together were the best moments in Dinky’s life. When Dinky would get home from school and be greeted by those reassuring yellow eyes and a loving smile, she would forget her troubles. She still couldn’t tell mummy about her teasing at school, because she was afraid mummy would become worried, and she didn’t want to see mummy sad.

Dinky and Derpy would do everything together, play games, draw pictures, and mummy’s favourite, bake muffins. Dinky didn’t care what they did, as long as they did it together. Mummy didn’t care that Dinky was different, she loved Dinky just the way she was, and Dinky loved mummy with all her heart.



Dinky’s favourite place to play was by the big lake near the forest. It was always so quiet, and there was never anyone else around, apart from the fluffy animals, like the squirrels and the birds. It was her and mummy’s special place, where they could do whatever their hearts desired. Dinky loved to sit by the lake with mummy, and together they would see how many fish they could spot. One time, Dinky saw over 20 fish! They would also play tag and catch and roll around in the grass. Dinky would always be sad when they would have to leave to go home, but she knew she would come back soon, and that made Dinky happy again.

Dinky also loved to bake muffins with mummy, mummy absolutely loved muffins. Dinky would help mummy stir all the ingredients in the big bowl with the big spoon, flour would go everywhere and make everything white, sometimes she would get it all over mummy, Dinky would laugh, and eventually mummy would too. After all the ingredients were all mixed together, came Dinky’s favourite part, licking the spoon. Mummy always let Dinky lick the spoon because the mix was so tasty, mummy was so generous to Dinky. When the muffins were ready, Dinky would have to wait a few minutes before eating one, because they were so hot. But the wait was always worth it, because mummy’s muffins were always so scrumptious. Dinky’s favourite muffins were the blueberry ones, because Dinky loved fruit. So combining Mummy’s muffins with the fruit made them that much nicer.

Sadly however, no matter how much fun Dinky and Derpy had together, it would have to end eventually, and Dinky would have to go back to school.

Today was worse for Dinky than it ever has been. Apart from the usual teasing, a large group of big boys had taken something Dinky loves very much, her picture of mummy. Dinky has always carried this picture of mummy around with her in her backpack, because when she cries, it makes her feel better knowing mummy is there. But today, during lunch, while her bag was on the floor, the boys took it, and yanked the picture out. The picture is framed and very fragile, which makes it very precious to Dinky. The boys don’t care though, they just want to make Dinky cry again. Soon enough, however, the inevitable occurs.

Dinky is trying desperately to get it back, but because the boys are almost double her size, she can’t. To make matters worse, the group are playing piggy in the middle, with Dinky being the little, defenceless victim of their game. Now close to tears, and in a fit of anger, Dinky charges at the boy who currently has the picture, head-butting him hard in the stomach. Surprised, the boy let go of the picture, sending it plummeting to the ground. Dinky could only watch in horror as it fell to the floor, smashing the glass into a million tiny pieces.


Realising what they have done, the group of boys flee, leaving poor little Dinky crying hard on the floor over the loss of her favourite possession. Having no idea what to do, Dinky picks up the now ripped picture, and leaving what is left of the frame on the ground, runs out of the schoolyard, towards the place that she loves so much.

Derpy is now getting extremely scared, after getting a personal visit from a worried Cheerilee telling her that Dinky didn’t turn up for classes after lunch and that the other foals said they saw her run off into the forest. She is petrified, since it will soon be getting dark, and she can’t bear to think of little Dinky out there on her own, cold and scared. She has no idea of where her little girl could have gone. She told everyone that she knew to keep an eye out for her, but no one has said they’ve seen her. Why would she run off like that? So, starting the cry fully now, Derpy collapses onto the couch and looks over the pictures her and Dinky drew together. And that’s when it hits her, because her favourite picture of them all, of Dinky’s favourite place, is showing the answer right to her face.

Sitting by the lake, with her legs gently kicking the water, Dinky is thinking about what made the other foals hate her so much and the thought of it makes her tear up again. It was dark now, and Dinky was scared. She didn’t like the scary sounds of the forest, and hated that mummy was not here to protect her. ”I bet mummy’s super scared for me now” Dinky thinks to herself. She hates to think of mummy sad and crying, which in turn, causes her to start crying again. Just then she hears a sound, a cracking branch, a rustling of leaves, and now extremely petrified, Dinky rolls up into a tight ball, to protect her from the monster. Shivering and crying, Dinky barely hears the frantic sound of her name being called. “DINKY” she hears it now. “DINKY” she hears it again, louder now. “Mummy?” she thinks to herself. “DINKY,” yes that is definitely mummy’s voice. Unfurling herself from her protective ball, Dinky gets up and runs towards the source of her mummy’s voice. “MUMMY!” she screams, hoping to get a response.

“Oh my, Dinky!” Derpy is standing by the edge of the forest, but even though it is dark, she can clearly see her beloved daughter running towards her. So she runs too. They connect in the middle of the field, Dinky jumping into mummy’s awaiting arms, both are crying.

“Dinky, you had me so worried, don’t you ever do anything like that that again!” Derpy says between sobs.
Dinky, also crying, replies "Mummy, I’m so sorry, but I only did it because I was scared and wanted to go somewhere that I would be happy.”

Derpy, confused, asks “What do you mean scared, what happened?

Dinky doesn’t answer, just says “Mummy? Why am I different?”

And with that, Derpy starts crying fresh tears. “Dinky, you are not different, your super special.”

“How?” replies Dinky

“Because you are the best daughter a mummy could ask for.” Derpy then hugs Dinky harder than ever before.
Dinky, smiling now, returns the hug, holding on as if her life depended on it, and hoping she will never ever have to let go.

Comments ( 36 )

Me gusta :pinkiecrazy:
And YES. Finally! Somepony that uses Derpy instead of "Ditzy" as her true name!
TWO Mustaches for you, sir.------> :moustache::moustache:

much obliged sir:) :ajsmug:

Everyone likes an easy-to-digest sadfic. 'cept Fluttershy, she tends to stay away from them :fluttershbad:

1068286 that controversy will never die, will it?

Brilliant

although a few gramatial errors, i still enjoyed this very much. Moar plz :pinkiehappy:

thank ya kindly :rainbowkiss:

1068321
no, i guess not:rainbowlaugh:
but i hope for Derpy's sake we win it :derpytongue2:

This story is full of d'aww!

This made me happy, take my thumbs up!:pinkiesmile:

1068398
i will take your thumbs up and raise you a BROHOOF /)

1068368 Emotional investments in fan-accepted names aside, I think the only losers are the admittedly few outspoken minority who actually take personal offense to the word. For the average fellow, however, it shouldn't matter what her name is in the end as long as Hasbro decides on a canon name (which is *technically* ditzy doo but they didn't print it on the Comic Con exclusive toy box in fear of losing potential sales from diehards).

But hey I'm not here to discuss my indifference on the subject! I only wanted to say that there is no shortage of authors on this site who call her Derpy. I prefer the consistency at the very least on that.

Wow, that was heartwarming and very well written, only some minor mistakes which I don't care, even though you should.

I'll track you :twilightsmile:

1068458
yeah, there probably is mistakes in there. But, the reason is because i wanted the story to look more child based and innocent, to give a bigger impact.:ajsmug:

1068476 No, I don't mean that. You did that "child style" very well, yet there are still some errors, spelling and minor things like your and you're.

But nothing that does this wonderful story any bad harm :)

1068524
Ohhh, i get what you mean.
Cheers man /) :twilightblush:

:raritycry: but so sweet! /)^3^\)


i'm literally over the moon at the responses so far. i mean, i only joined a few days ago, so i never expected this!
i love all you guys, Brohoofs to all /):twilightsmile:
and moustaches :moustache: :)

Is Dinky autistic?

1069047
This is a hard question. You see, when writing, i wanted to show that Dinky had problems understanding certain things. But to avoid controversy, i refrained from giving her a named illness. So i guess you will have to fill in that blank for yourself :)

"Mummy, Why am I so different?" "Because sweetheart, you've got the most blessed and praised background character as a mother!:pinkiehappy:".
Now to the story, that was nothing short of great! I loved it and was a bit mad when those devil children stole her mom's picture! I wished The Cutie Mark Crusader's would've whopped their butts for it. I would like to see a sequel if you wouldn't mind that is, and would like to welcome you to FimFiction.net! :twilightsmile:

Anyhow it was a wonderful, I love it, wish for a sequel, you my friend get a 5/5,a like, a favorite, and a moustache!:moustache:

GAH! CLIFF-HANGER!! :fluttershysad: HNNNNG!

1069228

Is the author red different? :rainbowhuh:

1068368

HEADCANON

Wait, what controversy? Derpy Doo and Ditzy Doo are two different people easily identified by their eyes. Derpy has all kinds of fanon works but Ditzy Doo on the other hand is smarter, has straight eyes, always has to cover when Derpy leaves with the doctor and is a Time Protector assistant.

Whatever are you talking about? :derpyderp2: Controversy. :rainbowlaugh:

1079915

Your red. The author comments' red. It's different. :rainbowhuh:

1079924
ohhh. I guess that because i'm the author, my comment has to be red, so people know that its an authors comment.

1080087

No, I know that!

The old author's red was burgundy. Now it's a different shade of red. The mods never said anything so i have no idea what's going on. :rainbowderp:

Oh, alright, yeah i get where your coming from now. But, i've only been a member for a few days, so for me it was always this colour. :ajsmug:

pure awesomeness :rainbowkiss: bravo:yay::derpytongue2:

1148572
Tried to do you justice Derpy, hope you'll be back soon :)
But seriously, cheers :pinkiesmile:

1154874 justice well served! Muffin for chu! :yay::derpyderp1:

This deserves more love!

1166066
I couldnt imagine it making the featured page, but if it did... wow!:twilightsmile:

YAY! Mini milestone of 400 views :pinkiehappy:
To me, that is ALOT of views:rainbowkiss:
Thanks to everyone who favourited, commented etc:twilightblush:

It`s sad and good story!

Login or register to comment