• Published 19th Jun 2019
  • 384 Views, 23 Comments

Red Winter - Bronycommander



A few weeks passed since Italy and Isenstadt. Dinky wants to spend time with her friend Lily Longsocks but Earth calls her once again with her friends. To The Eastern Front.

  • ...
3
 23
 384

Chapter 1 A Odd discovery

Chapter 1: An Odd discovery

It was a nice, sunny day as a young periwinkle unicorn filly awoke from her peaceful sleep as the sun shined in. She stretched herself with a yawn.

“Time to start the day.” She said to herself with a smile, making the bed and walked out of her room for breakfast.

“Good morning!” She greeted her parents at the table in the kitchen.

“Morning, muffin,” Derpy smiled at her daughter.

“Good morning, sweetheart.” He father smiled too and they breakfasted together.

“That was delicious!” Dinky exclaimed in glee after having eaten and helped with the cleaning.

“Thanks, Dinky. Looking forward to see your friends today?” Time Turner asked her.

“Of course!”

“Then have fun, Dinky!” Derpy said to her daughter and she nodded before walking out.

The residents of Ponyville also enjoyed the nice weather to the fullest, getting the foal and each other with happy smiles.

For today, Dinky had in mind to spend the day with Katja, Blau Streifen and another good friend of her, enjoying the sun in the grass just outside of the town.

It had been a few weeks after Italy and Isenstadt, recovering well from the traumatic experience.

“Dinky!” Both siblings exclaimed happily as they saw her, hugging her, which she returned with a smile of her own,

“It’s nice to see you again.”

“Hey, what about me?” Another female voice asked and she gently broke the hug to see a pink Earth pony with darker mane and blue eyes, a Hedgehog as Cutie Mark.

“Lily!” They two hugged each other with smiles. “Glad you could come!”

Lily Longsocks was one of her best friends, having met each other in school. The Earth Pony had been introduced to Katja and Blau Streifen before but as her parents were very busy, they could barely spend time together until now.

“I was looking forward to this; I really missed having fun with you,” Lily replied with a grin.

“So did we. Now, let’s enjoy the day, shall we?” Blau asked his two friends and they nodded.

“Have fun, Lily.” A female voice said and they looked up to see a cream-coated Earth pony mare with a salmon-pink mane and a bandage as Cutie Mark. Next to her was a maroon coated stallion with a wine-red mane and a tree behind a shield as Cutie Mark, being also an Earth pony.

“Of course, Mum!” Lily said, hugging the mare, with the stallion smiling.

“I know you will. Dinky’s such a good friend.”

“Yep! One of the best friends I have, Dad!”

Dinky and the siblings also smiled at Lily’s parents. Her mother, Pin Cushion, was a nurse at the Ponyville hospital. Her husband and Lily’s dad, Pine Marten, was a Park Ranger, both caring deeply for their daughter.

“We know. Enjoy the day, we see you later, sweetheart. And remember, if you get hurt, come to me.” Cushion reminded.

“Yes, mum!”

They did a walk through the grass, enjoying the wind brushing against their skin and the sunrise.

The knights crossed their way. “Hello, uncle Fray!” The young unicorn greeted him.

“Good day to you, Dinky. Slept well?” Fletcher asked her.

“You bet!”

“Glad to hear it. We were just about to visit your parents for a lovely time of coffee and cake.” Fray explained before hearing Wolf slightly grumbling. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing, I just found out that my prospects have an ‘Impact’ since the gala, and that I am more popular than I thought. But the real problem is to make Sweetie Belle clear that my storm magic isn't connected to weather,” She explained and Midnight raised an eyebrow.

“What do you mean?”

The mare rolled her eyes. “Apparently, Rarity keeps complaining how I am ‘stealing her thunder.’”

Her fellow knights and the children snickered as they got it. “Hey, it isn’t that bad and you got through worse.” Midnight reminded her.

“Yeah…I just hope it ends quickly.” Wolf mumbled as they walked away.

“I know it’s been a few weeks since then but I still can’t believe what happened to you.” Lily looked at her friends with pity. “What you went through and still survived.”

“Yes, it was quite…exiting and terrifying…we must have been very lucky…” Dinky shivered a bit. “But it was nice to see when Fletcher saw his parents.”

“I couldn’t agree more. After all he went through, I think he earned it.” Katja said with a smile.

“Indeed. I can’t wait to train with him again, it’s so much fun to use a bow. Maybe I get a bow Cutie mark, just like him.” Blau added, grinning at the thought. “By the way, have you ever told us how you got your super strength, Lily?”

“There isn’t really much to tell. I got it inherited by a distant relative of my family. And it got it’s uses.” Demonstratively, she grabbed Dinky and held her above head with ease, both giggled and the siblings looked at it awe.

“Wow…What else can you lift?” Blau asked fascinated, his eyes wide.

“What about that rock?” Lily pointed to a very big rock and also picked it up with ease. “Tada!”

“Hey, what is that?” Katja pointed to something that had been covered by the rock and Lily put it down, taking a look with the others.

“Looks like a hatch.” Dinky suspected at the form and tapped it, hearing a metal sound. “Definitely a hatch.” She tried to open it, grunting but it did not move. “Can you help me?” She asked her friends and they nodded.

Grabbing the handle, they managed to open it with a loud creak, seeing a ladder leading down.

“I wonder where it leads.” Blau was curious, yet Lily shook her head.

“Shouldn’t we report that in?”

“Of course, but a quick look wouldn’t hurt.”

“We can do that, but we should be really careful.” His sister warned.

“Yes, better safe than sorry. Or as my mother said once: Safety first.” Dinky took the lead, using a flashlight spell as it was very dark, the ladder ended at a corridor.

“It’s scary…” Lily shivered slightly as they carefully moved through the corridor, nopony in sight or anything else.

“It appears to be abandoned, probably a long time ago.” Dinky suspected before coming to a door with a power sigh on it and opened it. Inside was a generator with a switch and she used it.

“Power levels critical...” A PA system informed before the voice faded away, “shutting down the teleporter.”

“Teleporter?” Dinky asked puzzled. “Uncle Fray told me they experimented with that during the civil war. Could it be?” She wondered as there were no symbols or anything that hinted of either side of the civil war.

“It could be very likely, but we better now report that in,” Katja suggested and they nodded.

“Yes, we should,” Dinky replied and they walked back to the corridor, seeing that the lights were now on.

However, they all stopped at a very big door they hadn’t seen before, it opened on its own. Inside was a machine with a circle in the middle.

It didn’t look like anything they had ever seen before. It was a very old design, like a rounded box with antennas on top of it. An eerie chill went through them all as they looked at it.

Something them then not to enter, but they couldn’t help themselves to enter to take a closer look, their eyes wide in awe.

How old was this machine? Who built it and why? Why so close to Ponyville? What could be the reason for it to be abandoned?

“That must be that teleporter.” Blau suspected. “I wonder if it still works.”

“It’s…fascinating, yes but we should leave that to your uncle and his friends,” Lily replied, feeling uncomfortable about it.

“Yes.” Dinky nodded and they turned around, but Lily tripped and tried to catch herself, accidentally pushing a button on the wall.

“What did you do?!” Katja asked in alert as the door closed, leaving them trapped on the circle, as a loud powering up sound followed, the teleporter starting to glow.

“I’m sorry!” Lily cried as the intercom sounded again.

“Power re-established. Engaging Teleporter.”

“No! No! No! No!! Dinky looked around in panic as the machine glowed brighter and brighter and then everything went white.

“Teleport successful.”


“Ugh…” Dinky groaned as she came to, seeing her friends dazed next to her. “Everyone alright?”

“I…I think so…” Lily replied, looking around. They were now in a house. “Where are we?” She wondered.

“Hello?” A voice called out, sounding German. Before they could react, the creak of a door sounded and they saw a human in German uniform before them, armed with a K98. His expression was one of surprise as he saw them.

A man who must have been thirty but looked past fifty. His face wasn't so much wrinkled as weathered, as if hardened by frost and looked as if it hadn't been washed for some time. His scraggly flour-blonde hair hung in matted strands way past his shoulders but he must have shaved himself as his lower face only possessed a thin stubble. His eyes were rheumy and pink with slight bags and he'd lost more than a few teeth. Despite this, Dinky, Katja and Blau saw nothing malicious in him. His was a sight that invited not revulsion but pity.

But it made Dinky and the siblings realize: They were on earth again, during the Second World War. The Question was when and where.

“P-please, don’t hurt us.” Fear overcame Lily and the man took a step back in shock.

“Sir, can you help us? We are lost.” Dinky asked the man but he only stared in shock before shaking his head, muttering something.

“Where are we?” Blau asked.

It seemed like hours until the man sighed and said, “The Soviet Union, late autumn 1941.”

Author's Note:

An story idea by my friend Purple Patch.