• Published 9th Sep 2019
  • 3,098 Views, 258 Comments

*Friendship Not Included - Liquid Truth



The space colony of Equestria provides you with everything* you need to survive in this unforgiving asteroid we call home.

  • ...
4
 258
 3,098

Coffee, As Promised

Twilight thought she was dead. Being crushed under half a ton of steel usually did that.

But as she found out, she wasn't. Being able to move her limbs confirmed her living state.

And so, she groggily opened her eyes. At the blurry bright light coming from above and the sounds of soft hummings that suggested a hospital room, she smiled, grateful for the Early Duplicants that had developed the technology needed to save her life.

A blue blob of mane and fur obscured her vision, and her smile evaporated as quickly as she could count basic mathematics. "Mhm . . . Minuette?"

Said blob of blue annoyance broke into a toothy grin. "Twilight! Oh my goodness, I was so worried! I was⁠—"

Twilight glared.

Minuette's smile vanished and she leaned back. "Uhm, Twilight?"

Twilight's glare hardened. "I have a feeling you knew you could've prevented that."

Minuette whimpered. "I-I . . . yes, yes I do. I'm so sorry . . ."

As her mind caught up with her surroundings, Twilight's glare softened as she finally noticed the state her coworker was in. Her mane was disheveled, her eyes bloodshot and threatening to spill again, and her coat stank of sweat, medicine, and grime.

But, most importantly, she was wearing a nursing cap instead of her usual helmet.

"Minuette, have you . . . how long was I out?"

She sniffed. "Five cycles, I think? I dunno."

Twilight's glare came back. "Have you slept during that time?"

"Of course I⁠—"

"Let me rephrase that: How many times have you slept, and for how long?"

Minuette flinched and looked away. "Uhm, it's, uh . . . Hey, Twilight, do you need anything? A cup of coffee or⁠—"

"I do, actually." She put a hoof under Minuette's chin, bringing their eyes to meet. "I need a glass full of your answer, up to the brim and spilling. Spill it, Minuette."

Minuette sighed. "Twice. Two hours each, I think? But hey, you're now back in perfect condition! I promise you⁠—"

"We have protocols, Minuette! You can't just break them, not even when you felt extremely guilty for a failed attempt at an organized murder! What did the Manager say about this?"

Minuette chuckled weakly. "Wow, you're still funny even at times like this, huh?" She glanced back, to where her multitool belt was neatly folded next to Twilight's own. "The Colony Manager was furious when I decided to switch my job, so I decided to ignore her. She sent Redheart shortly after to give me a mouthful, but I persisted. After the first cycle, she gave up and made it official."

Twilight grunted in annoyance and flopped into her bed. "You're such an insufferable mare, you know that?"

Minuette chuckled. "A certain astrophysicist reminded me of that every morning, yes."

"Astronomer," Twilight corrected. "Speaking of which, I'm already fully healed, right? I can go back to the project right away?"

Minuette laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, about that . . ."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Minuette, I swear if you⁠—"

The doors at the far end of the room opened, and in came a white pegasus mare wearing a yellow jumpsuit with tri-colored cotton candy mane tied in a tight ponytail. Celestia smiled at the two mares and waved a greeting wing. She wasn't wearing any hats at the moment, which suggested that she's there purely for a visit.

Twilight gave a squeal of excitement. "Celestia! Oh, I'm so glad to see you!"

As Celestia reached her bed, she gave her a friendly nuzzle. "Hello, Twilight. How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling great!" She looked to Celestia's side, noticing her saddlebag with her scrolls jutting out. "Oh, right, the project! Sorry for the delay. I promise you the starmaps will still be finished on time."

Celestia frowned and shook her head. "I'm afraid that wouldn't be the case here, my dear student." At Twilight's panicked look, Celestia took out the scrolls from the saddlebag and laid it out, giving Twilight a view of her perfect, undamaged piece of flattened gemstone. "Don't worry, Twilight. Your charts were more protected than you were from the accident."

Twilight sighed in relief. "So, what is it, then?"

"The project has been suspended. It would be—"

"The project was what!?" Twilight shot up from her bed, looking at Celestia right in the eyes. "Why!? Was I not good enough? Is the observatory destroyed? Please tell me it's the former. I'll promise I'll be faster! I—"

Celestia put the tip of her wing to Twilight's muzzle, prompting her to cease her vocal assault. "It is you, Twilight, but not in the way you may think."

Twilight sighed in relief. "Thank goodness. So, what did I do wrong? I promise I'll do anything to fix it."

Celestia opened her mouth to object, but closed it again. She put her wing over her mouth, obscuring her sly grin from Twilight. "Anything?"

Twilight nodded in determination. "Anything at all, Celestia. I promise I'll do it."

Celestia couldn't help, and let out a hearty chuckle. Looking at the ceiling, she said in a playful tone, "Did you hear that, Manager? She promised. Oh, what's that? Oh, right, of course. Right away."

Twilight looked up her mentor with a raised eyebrow. "Uh, Celestia? What did the Manager just say?"

Celestia smiled. "Twilight, tell me what you know about Bristle Acres."

"It's the industrial area, spanning from floor 200 - 250," Twilight answered confidently. "It's where nearly everything in the colony is produced, from our foods and clothes to our refined metal and oxygen. In fact, it hosts the colony's largest and most efficient self-powering oxygen generators, besting the one in Regoville Frontier here by a large margin.

"It also happens to be where the Printing Pod is, which is why it is filled with more young Duplicants in training than most other areas."

Celestia gave her a proud smile. "That's wonderful, Twilight. It's good to see you know your future home very well."

"Of course I—wait, what?"

Celestia reached to her saddlebag, this time producing a grey cap with the words 'Bristle Acres' written in it. "You've been reassigned, Twilight. You're now the supplier for Bristle Acres."

"I—What!? That can't be true!" She glared at the ceiling, her pupils burning with enough fire to forge the half tons of steel that five cycles ago nearly killed her. "What do you think you're doing, Manager!? How stupid are you to put me in a rural area when I can be a lot more useful on the surface!? Why suspend the project for the sake of torturing me? You little insufferable piece of omnipresent consciousness, you think you can do anything just because you could—"

"My dear student," Celestia cut in, draping a wing over Twilight, "will you believe me if I tell you it was my idea?"

Twilight's glare faltered, and the fire behind her eyes was put out as quickly as a candle dipped into a carbon dioxide reservoir. As she spoke, her voice was almost a whisper. "W-what? But why, Celestia?"

Celestia waved her wing around the hospital room they were standing in. "It's clear now that your lack of athleticism is a danger for yourself, Twilight. Especially when you're working on the surface where these kinds of accidents can happen regularly. Assigning you with a courier duty will let you practice your athletics to counter your anemia while keeping you working, which we know you'd prefer than a training quarantine." She looked at Twilight with pleading eyes. "Please, Twilight. As much as this project means to the Manager, your life is more important."

"B-but—"

"Please, Twilight. For me?"

Twilight opened and closed her mouth a few times. Eventually, she sighed in defeat. "Alright, Celestia. I trust your judgment." Then, she looked up at her mentor in determination. "And I promise you, I'll make you proud."

Celestia smiled and nodded in satisfaction. "Good. That means making a few friends when you're there won't be a problem, no?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow.

Celestia smiled fondly. "It has come to the Manager's attention that you've been actively avoiding social interaction ever since you were printed. A little change in pace wouldn't hurt, would it? Take your time and relax; make some friends while you're there. The project won't be going anywhere anytime soon."

Twilight flopped into her bed and muttered, "Fine, I guess . . ."

Minuette chirped in. "By the way, do you still want that coffee? I can have somepony deliver it to your new room."

"Absolutely."