• Published 19th Jun 2019
  • 8,115 Views, 90 Comments

The Black Horseman - Redsummer09



Through the fog, which turns a man into a fearsome creature of darkness.

  • ...
23
 90
 8,115

Appleloosa Riot and memories

Three hours after I left Tartarus and I managed to get reasonably closer to the nearby town. Though I must admit, I may have misjudged the distance between the two places. Seeing as I have nothing else left to do on hand, I've decided to take stock of my current state. And honestly, what I saw shocked me quite a bit.

During my time in that dark prison, I never assessed my situation, mostly due to me wallowing in self pity over loosing some favourite past times (that being missing out on Avengers: Endgame and the new Godzilla movie. Took about 150 years to come out of that depression). In doing so, I never truly took a long look at my current self. Unlike the standard Nuckelavee forms, mine is that of a unique stature. That being what looks to be either goat or draconic based horns curving down the side of the equine halves' head, similar to Fallout 4's Deathclaws. My hands, instead being the two claws of a normal Nuckelavee, have remained five fingered on each hand (I admittedly cheered internally at this, I like my opposable thumbs thanks). I'm not able to see what has changed with my head, by but the feel of things as they are, I seem to be containing two pairs of the Nuckelavee's horns, making me look like royalty, I bet.

After taking stock, my mind started to drift as I continued walking (read: galloping) to the town. Majority of my thoughts are just recollections of my prior knowledge of RWBY, specifically the Grimm. 'From what I know, Grimm were originally soulless creatures of darkness, having no access to Aura and Semblances with very little, or none at all, intelligence. Their intelligence, which grows over decades upon decades, only making it to where they can dodge attacks more effectively, which does nothing when faced with a fast and nimble Hunter. But if that's the case, then do I still have my soul? Will I eventually be nothing more than a mindless beast? God, I hope not.' I thought in fear.

After coming out of that scary thought, I then thought of one, but VERY important variable I failed to consider.

Salem the Grimm Queen.

That one mystery in the RWBY world that has birthed so many questions, but very little answers. All I know it that, she's immortal, she's the real antagonist and that she is one fearful bitch. To be honest, I hope to whatever god is looking down on me, I never come across her.

Somewhere, two beings of purple and yellow sneezed.

I continued to go through my prior knowledge on the Grimm, a memory suddenly came to mind. A day I never went through, yet somehow have.


All around me I see destroyed houses and other buildings. This place may very well have been a village, one teeming with life but now destroyed.

I feel myself restrained to the ground, my equine half not responding to my movements, mainly due to the immense pain emanating from it. In my effort to escape, I see that my arms are stretched out and nailed into the ground, preventing them from retracting back to me.

In front of me, I see what looks to be a teenager, perhaps somewhere between 17 and 18 years of age most likely, given his youthful appearance. He is wearing what looks to be a green sleeveless coat, the design on it resembling Asian or Middle-Eastern garb at best. In his hand is a black dagger of sorts, most likely holding some form of importance to him.

He walks closer to me in a slow and steady pace, the look on his face showing he is in deep contemplation, or perhaps remembering something. I look in his eyes to see a torrent of emotions, visible even with his stoic face. In those eyes, in the whirlwind of emotions, I see the most notable ones out of them.

Hate, disdain, and overall disgust for my very existence.

I make to think on what I could have done to piss him off, when suddenly, my left arm becomes disconnected and flings over to where it is pinned to the ground, over next to who could be described as a blonde knight. Shrieking in massive amounts of pain, I see that the wound is a clean and solid cut, the boy in front of me looking to be the cause, given his blade containing a sliver of black blood.

Grabbing and forcing my head down, I feel him slice off my right arm too. Out of the corner of my eye, I see it was pinned by a red-hooded girl with a big ass scythe. Wiggling in my restrained state, I scream out in massive amounts of pain. Bending down, I shriek in his face, noticing he appears to not be affected.

He slices my torso, weakening me to the point where I bend down, too weak after the damage down to me. Trying to get back up, I hear him mutter something to himself, just barely catching it.

"For myself." he says.

Having no time to contemplate what he meant by it, I feel my head be suddenly removed from my neck. I see my body (what's left of it) begin to dissolve, my head with it. I look at the boy, seeing the boy and a cheerful ginger girl hugging on the ground, right before darkness takes me.


Being brought out of that memory, I have the equine half kneel to the ground, stabilising us both as I take in big gasps of air. To say that was jarring and certainly was an understatement.

"What. The hell. Was that?!" I said yelling at the end, each break between the words accompanied by an intake of breath. "So many questions, yet not a single answer!!" I shout out into the sky. After hearing the echo, I can say without a doubt that someone heard me alright. Actually, now that I'm hearing my voice, I notice that while it is very eerie, similar to that of an old villain, it sounds like Justice from Afro-Samurai. Never really got into, but i know because of a friend before he passed away.

"The shout came from over here!" A voice called out.

Now that I'm paying attention, I notice that my body was walking on instinct whilst I was trapped inside that memory, leaving me in an apple orchard of sorts. Hearing the voice come from what I guess is the right of me, I quietly galloped over some 20 to 30 metres, hoping to hide but also get a feel for the people I'm dealing with. Smart actually, since Grimm are hunted after all.

Around 10 seconds later, walking into the clearing I was just in was something I didn't think I'd ever see honestly. To sum it up, the two men who came were an anthropomorphic Buffalo and Pony respectively. The buffalo, whose fur is close as can be to black, looks to be wearing attire befitting the Native Americans, with a white feather band on his head. The pony had dirt brown fur while wearing clothing suited for a sheriff in the old western films, with the sheriff's hat and star badge, heck, he even had some denim jeans and cowboy boots to match.

I can only hope that the two don't see me, as I rather not be chased down to death. My hopes were then shot and killed when the two lads turned in my direction with shocked and fearful eyes.

Well crap, this is gonna be fun.


Chief Thunderhooves and Sheriff Silverstar were having a good day honestly. The two were discussing, with Braeburn and Strongheart, the next harvest season of the apples and what foods they should make with them. Apple pie and apple cider were instantly pitched in, so all that was left was to discuss any apple related foods they should bake, when they heard a shout (read: scream) from the orchard itself. Thinking that somepony was in trouble, the chief and sheriff went to go help.

Reaching a clearing that seemed to be the origin point for the scream, they looked around to find anything that could've caused the scream. They checked behind trees, looked into the trees themselves, but found nothing notable, or so they thought. Silverstar, when looking in the trees, saw that one of the apples that were ripe for picking, now seemed dead almost, being all grey and shrivelled up. And with the black wafts of steam coming off of it, the cause was easy to remember from his schooling days.

Grimm essence

The dark mist that radiates off of Grimm of all shapes, containing copious amounts of dark magic, this essence kills all living plants near it. Seeing the effects, Silverstar voiced his concerns.

"Thunderhooves, keep an eye out, there's Grimm here." he said pointing to the deceased apple. His voice that of a standard Texas accent, with a soft pitch to it.

The Buffalo Chief, seeing the effects for himself, agreed with the sheriff. "Indeed, so now we must proceed with caution." he said seriously, his voice deep sounding.

Deciding to stick together for now, strength in numbers of course, proceeded to look for the source of the scream, but as more time passed they too grew more fearful. With the telltale signs of Grimm coming through here, it was starting to seem as if whoever was here may very well have come across the Grimm and died doing so. Coming to that conclusion, the two turned around to go back to Appleloosa and relay the news, when they saw the most fear inducing sight one could have before their death.

Before them, standing perhaps 20 feet or so away from them, is perhaps one of the most, if not THE most, demonic looking Grimm staring right at them. But the knowledge that a Grimm was watching this whole time wasn't what terrified them, but rather, the species of it. After all, there is only one species depicted with an equine having a stallion emerging from its back. Right now, in perhaps their final living moments, is a Grimm Nuckelavee, staring at them with its equine's beedy red/orange eyes and, shockingly enough, its stallion's Silver Eyes.

Hightailing it out of the clearing back to town, they could hear the telltale 'click-clop' of its claws and hooves striking ground, coming in their direction. Speeding up, they weaved through the trees in hopes of loosing it, but they both knew it wouldn't be long 'til it caught up again. Hearing the Nuckelavee fade into the distance, they internally cheered for a second before focusing on the task at hand.

They can only hope they can worn the town before disaster strikes.


'Dammit, where are they?' I thought in exasperation. Through this maze of trees and them weeving about like headless chickens, I managed to lose them. the reason I'm chasing them anyway is because I don't want them warning people and have them screaming bloody murder. Coming to a complete stop, I scream into the air in frustration, slightly feeling the grill parts of my mouth come undone before being put back together, "GOD DAMMIT!!!".

Taking deep breaths, I soon catch a stench, for lack of better word. To be honest, I can't even describe it, but it feels like its coming from two peop-no wait, there's more, kinda skyrocketed there. By my guess, that two became a couple hundred at best. Feeling the smell coming from the right of me, I went in that direction, knowing that I'll be facing the music of one angry mob.


After a few minutes of galloping, I finally reached the edge of town, and I'm gonna say that they are very resourceful. The reason for that thought is the barricade that has been constructed by like 100 hundred guys, who are right in front of me. The ponies seem to have made catapults out of tables and that, while some of the more authoritative seem to have what appears to be lever-action rifles. The buffaloes, being all traditional, stuck to spears and bows, a good mix between close and long range actually.

Taking a few more steps I come to a stop, roughly 20 metres away from them. Looking in their eyes, I see fear and terror at me (understandable honestly), while others have determination and bravery. As I survey the gathered ponies, I notice briefly that there is not a single female amongst, must've been evacuated along with the children. Hearing a whistle blow, i look past them to a train station, seeing a train laded with civilians taking off. 'So, they sacrificed themselves so that those on the train could live. Stupid but cowardly, but also honourable.' I thought in admiration.

"Know this foul beast!" the buffalo from before called out, looking to be the strongest amongst the gathered tribe. "Your slaughtering days are over, for we shall strike you down, HERE AND NOW!!" he announced, getting cheers from the others, both pony and buffalo alike, when suddenly howls and shrieks echoed in the distance. When all of us looked over, myself included, we saw a rather interesting, but frightening for them, sight.

Beowolves, Ursai, Creeps, heck even some Deathstalkers were coming here; all in one massive horde. No doubt they were attracted by the fear of the towns folk. After seeing the massive Grimm horde, my body soon felt like it started running on auto pilot. This was evident by how my body turned back to the crowd, launched my right arm at them, and cut around 5 of the rifle bearing ponies in half with my claws.

Normally, I would feel disgusted with myself because of what I done, but for some reason, I feel...Happy, pleasured almost. I had no time to think more on it as the townsfolk let out a battle cry and charged right at me. I let out a shriek of my own, not only disorienting some of them, but also signalling the Grimm to attack, most likely seeing me as their leader as the responded eagerly by charging into the fray themselves. And I'm gonna say this: it was a one sided slaughter.

The moment the Grimm horde met the civilians, they instantly began tearing the ponies and buffaloes apart like mince meat. Yes, some of them managed to kill a few Grimm themselves, but all up they were getting destroyed. The battle had casualties of its own, evident by how the surrounding buildings collapsed due to the damage they sustained. During the fight though, I noticed how the Deathstalker seemed to be playing the role of the 'Wall of Pain', taking the hits so the other Grimm don't get injured, which worked wonders as Creeps and Beowolves hid behind their respective shields and attacked those nearby in packs when the moment came. After a few minutes, its easy to see that most of the fighters were killed in the onslaught already, where I then came upon an interesting sight.

The buffalo chief, who looks to have suffered quite the beating, is actually still alive, and right now glaring death into my very soul. "*cough cough* Go ahead beast, finish me, but know this. One day, you will fall like the demon to which you are *cough cough*." he said, coughing up blood in the process.

Seeing as he was one his last legs, I decided to put him out of his misery, but not before giving some final words to him. "I've already crawled out of Tartarus, its gonna take a lot to get rid of me." I said to him, his widening in recognition the shock, as my equine halves' right claw pierced his heart, killing him quickly. But not before a muttered a name I barely caught.

"T-the B-b-black H-horseman..." he trailed off as he drew his last breath.

Looking around, I see the Grimm seem to be crowding around me, looking like they're waiting for instructions. "Search the town, look for any survivors." I ordered to them, the Grimm following my instructions easily. I then decide to at least find a library to look for anything that might prove to be useful.

At that moment, I never realised just how much I screwed myself over.


Deep within the Everfree Forest, inside the Castle of the Two Sisters, a flash of light went off. The light soon faded away to reveal to teenagers, one boy and one girl. The boy appears to be of Asian decent with raven black hair and a magenta streak, wearing green attire fitting the culture. The girl is a ginger, wearing a black zip-up jacket with a white undershirt and pink skirt.

Opening his eyes, the boy's magenta eyes looked around, seeing an unfamiliar room. Getting up, he went over to the girl to check on her. "Nora, wake up." he said, shaking the girl's shoulder.

Opening her aquamarine eyes, she looked to the boy confused. "Ren, where are we?" she asked curious, looking at what appears to be a throne room long since abandoned, bringing back some dark memories.

The boy, Ren, told her honestly. "I don't know Nora, I don't know."

What the two don't know, is that a childhood nightmare will soon face them.

Author's Note:

Sweet Jesus, that was a long one (for me anyway). I do hope you enjoy this chapter, and please do give feedback. Opinion is always appreciated.

Anyway, until next time, Redsummer out.