• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,439 Views, 38 Comments

Old Stories, Older Curses - KillerSteel



Watch how a day gone bad can become something far, far worse.

  • ...
3
 38
 1,439

Prologue: "That's one way to end a day..."

“Urgh…could this day take any longer to end?

The sun drew a slow path across the sky in front of Rainbow Dash, as she lounged on, possibly, one of the softest clouds she'd ever granted the privelege of using as a bed. Watching the sun, Rainbow swore she saw it stop moving from time to time, as if to admire the flowers blooming in the fields below.

“The Princess's dragging the day out so she can get a tan, isn’t she? The moon should be up already… stupid weather patrol shift not ending,” Dash grumbled, grimacing at the sun; the theory just seemed more and more likely as time went on. Could somepony with a white coat get a tan? “Is there really nothing I can do today? ‘Shy's off with Rarity at the spa, Twilight got sucked into one of those crazy hurricanes she called ‘studying’, AJ's gotta work all day at the farm, and Pinkie has to work a double shift at Sugarcube Corner! That means no pranks, no Daring Do, no competitions; it's like life itself's trying to bore me to death! There isn’t even a single raincloud to buck apart here!”

She roared out to the clear blue sky in a rage, cursing this beautiful week for ever existing and sucking all the fun out of her day. She could practice her stunts, but they usually included clouds for her to fly through; what was the point of showing off if she couldn’t have a rainbow following behind her? It went against her very name, for Celestia’s sake! Dash slammed her hoof into the cloud beneath her, sending a gentle ripple across it, as she reconsidered what the day could be; well, maybe it wasn't all bad? “…I guess I could catch up on my napping…but I’ve already had five today…eh, I guess a sixth couldn’t hurt,” Dash shrugged to nopony in particular. She rolled a bit to get comfortable before closing her eyes, ready for the sweet embrace of rest. Slumber was swift in taking her.

“A nap? Well, if you insist… this will make things easier.”

Life just wasn't able to give up, was it?

The breath falling across Dash's face felt like a forest fire! Dash grimaced and lazily swatted away the sweltering air, swinging a few times before hitting something solid; she dreamed she was fighting a fire in the Everfree, and every swat of her hoof blew some fire away. She hit the thing a few more times before stopping and opening her eyes, two red eyes in a shadow staring back at her.

“Woah… somepony hasn’t been sleeping lately.” Dash blinked, getting the haze out of her vision; was she still dreaming? Her renewed senses were met with a grin filled with knives, red eyes that should've been in a dragon rather than... whatever this is, and the feeling of scorching breath creeping across her face; painfully hot. “Oh…”

“Just go back to sleep… this will be over in but a moment,” The shadow whispered, mouth opening to expose the knife-like fangs within, the razor-sharp edges glinting in the sunlight.

“AHH! ZOMBIE PONY!” Dash screamed, throwing a hoof straight into its cheek with lightning speed. The hit landed with a crunch, but the hoof went no further, simply pressing against the shadow’s face. It was like trying to push a mountain with one leg!

“My, my, such a kick… so unfitting of a mare like yourself,” It chastised, as if telling the wind off for messing up its mane.

“Jeeze, how hard is your face? And who the hay are you anyway?!” Dash hissed, trying to get a grip on the cloud to shove herself off the cloud..

“Somepony who’s running out of time and options… and you’re Plan Z.” it planted a hoof on her chest, crushing down on her ribs. She gasped, air being shoved out of her lungs.

“Hey, hooves off, buddy!” Dash shouted, and she let her hoof fly into its face again; that time actually hurt!

“Excuse my use of force, Miss, but I can’t mess around anymore,” its voice quaked slightly as the hoof on Dash's chest pressed down harder, a very strange sound coming from her ribs; were her bones creaking!? Dash's vision moved backwards as her chin was pushed on, flipping her sight to an upside-down view of the world. Something hovered off in the distance... was that a cloud? Maybe a set of them? And since when was the sky green? “I’d ask for your name first, but I’m out of time…”

“My name…“ Dash brought her hind legs up and, with an adrenaline-filled kick that'd make AJ blush, threw the shadow off her, “Is Rainbow Dash, best flyer in Equestria and kicker of butts that belong to ponies like YOU!”

“Hm, feisty… I suppose a little foreplay is in order.”

Rainbow kicked off the cloud into a freefall, spreading her wings. The shadow dove after her, missing by a hair as Rainbow threw herself upwards with a mighty blast from her wings. The shadow followed behind her with the vigor of a starved stallion hearing a dinner bell, but its flight speed was more abysmal than Fluttershy’s! No offense meant to Fluttershy, of course...

Rainbow flew back, playing with the shadow by slowing down to fall into its grasp, then using a powerful flap to rocket back out of its reach.

“C’mon, you had me pinned pretty well… aren’t your wings as strong as your legs?!” Rainbow shouted, her typical smirk filled with confidence. Maybe this shadow wasn’t so tough after all? There wasn't a lot of room to punch it. Maybe the fun of the day could be saved; a brawl never hurt anypony! She chuckled at the idea, looking down at her rival as she moved just out of reach again.

“Maybe I’ve been out of practice for the last two hundred years… but even old stallions like me have a few tricks up their sleeves.” He smirked, a mist forming around him. A final glint from his red eyes shined through the darkness before the mist closed up around him, creating a deep purple cloud. Moments after it closed, not even enough time for Rainbow to breathe, the right side of it exploded outward as something suddenly tore through it. Dash's eyes quickly followed the object, her keen eyesight yielding nothing but more blue. Her brain barely registered the approach of the shadow until it rung her neck in his foreleg, crushing down like a vice, “Like this one…”

“Why you sneaky…” Rainbow grunted, struggling against the grip of her captor. Her flails and grunts amounted to about as much as her earlier kick against the steel of the shadow's face, so she decided to ditch her honor and take the fight below the belt; she chomped down on his foreleg as hard as she could, hoping for a reaction.

The resulting consequence of this action? She tasted his skin... and it made her mind recoil in absolute horror. His skin tasted like a combination of rotten apples and burnt leather, and the blood being drawn from the wound tasted impossibly worse; were his veins full of somepony's raw sewage? No shout of pain, no grunt of discomfort, not even an exhale from the stallion came with the disgusting taste, either; she just bit a pony, tasted this abomination, and got nothing for it.

“I don’t taste too good, do I? Well.” he lifted her up further and drew her close to his chest. He gave her neck a long draw with his tongue, Rainbow shivering in response to this sick show of affection, “I’m sure you’ll make up for it…” he opened his mouth as a chuckle passed by his teeth, the sharp knives glinting in the sunlight.

“What’s wrong with you?! And where’d you get those teeth?!” Rainbow shouted, her head being shoved to the side by the leg wrapped around her neck. She gave a final struggle as that same flaming breath came over her neck, “You aren’t gonna-“

A stabbing pain in the side of her neck answered her incomplete question, much to her terror, as the stallion freak-show did something she never thought would happen; sink his teeth into her flesh. A battle between two thoughts immediately launched as the initial flaming wave of pain let up: ‘MURDER HIM’ and ‘Oh, this is just gross…’

The pain quickly faded into a strange pulling sensation as the pony tugged at her neck, each draw punctuated by a wet slurp. Her mind settled on a final thought, a negotiated compromise between the two at war: 'This is the most disgusting reason to murder another pony I’ve ever felt.'

The world began to bend and blur as the slurping continued. Cold spread over her appendages as her life was sucked away, one sickening lick at a time, and white spots filled her sight. Wait... those things hovering in the distance... were they getting bigger? Mumbled shouting entered her mind, somepony else's, as one of the dots that blended so well with the sky returned and quickly expanded in size. The slurping ended with a dry suck of air, and the knives exited her neck. The dot became some armored… thing, possibly a pony, as it tore through the air past her. It hit something with a crunch, probably that stallion that just let her go... Everything descended into a blur of ‘maybe’, ‘probably’, and ‘I don’t know’ as the world started to slip away from the sky blue pegasus.

“Well… this… is… bad…” Dash whispered as the last of her strength died, and she was granted one last view of the world... the very same boring, routine world in which she thought nothing would happen.

A sight of her home town, Ponyville.