• Published 16th Jun 2019
  • 2,767 Views, 77 Comments

The Tale of a Storm - Tempestus



A half dragon pony hybrid from the pre-discordian era finds new life a thousand years after the banishment of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
5
 77
 2,767

Chapter 2: A Step Forward

The Tale of a Storm

Chapter 2: A Step Forward

I slowly opened my eyes to the faint light from outside my window. The rain was still pitter pattering, truly a dreary day. I shuffled out from the warmth of my bed and into the chill air of my home. Chancing a glance into my mirror, I decided to do something I normally wouldn't: shave.

This infernal beard shall be my death, it makes me look like I am in my fifties.

And so, with the aid of a small band I placed on my hoof, my razor lifted off of the nightstand and I began the process of carefully not cutting my face off. Once the beard had been removed I turned my attention to my mane with the comb and swept it to the left. Soon I had a brush to my tail to straighten it out and I was almost ready for the day.

"Coffee." I mumbled as I trotted out of my room and into the living space, lighting the fireplace to warm the house up.

I came to a halt in the kitchen only to turn around as I recalled the night prior. I glanced at the clock, roughly two hours if I was not mistaken before classes would start at the Ponyville school. I went into the kitchen to let her sleep a little extra while I set up breakfast, and my coffee.

I finished making the eggs and hashbrowns and downed my coffee, before approaching the guest room.

I knocked thrice, "Scootaloo, we have an hour before you must leave for school."

I waited for a minute before opening the door. I found her passed out on her back sprawled out and entangled with the blanket I had given her. She lay there softly snoring and it physically pained me to wake her, but it had to be done.

"Come now sleepy head, breakfast is ready." I cooed in a voice strictly reserved for children.

She didn't budge, so I took the next approach and tapped her on the shoulder. When that didn't work I attempted to untangle her from the blanket, only to make it worse as she grappled it and rolled over.

I don't ever remember mornings being this difficult with the other two.

"Scootaloo, it is time." I calmly stated as I rocked her back and forth gently.

She practically jumped out of her skin and was staring at me wide eyed. It took her a moment to realize where she was and who was standing in front of her.

"So, last night wasn't a bad dream?" She asked, a nervous look permeating her face.

"No, the timberwolf attack was very real, little one."

"Right." She crossed her right foreleg over her left, "So what now?"

I smiled, "Breakfast is on the table, school is in an hour."

She wore the most confused expression I had ever seen before it dawned on her that I was offering her food.

"You mean it?" She watched me closely.

"But of course, I cannot in good mind send you off without feeding you, even if my cooking is not the best." I laughed, hoping to put her at ease.

"Food is food." She replied and I mentally winced.

"Perhaps, but I was never well known for my cooking skills."

"What, did you find a way to burn water?" Scootaloo hopped off the bed and down to the hardwood below as she had asked the question.

I was silent a moment before frowning, "Yes, actually." I stated as we began to walk out of the room and into the short hall toward the living area.

She opened her mouth to reply before closing it again with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Before you ask, no, I am not telling you how." I laughed, recalling the kitchen staff in the keep banning me from their work area.

She shrugged as we entered the kitchen and sat down at the dark wood table. Truly I, for once, managed not to burn the food, and it was gone within minutes of sitting down. Once we were both done I quietly picked the plates up with my talisman and placed them in the sink.

"Thank you, again." She was staring at the back of my head as I cleaned the plates with a small smile gracing my features.

"Anytime, my door is always open to you little one, and I mean that."

"I don't want to be a burden."

"You could never be a burden, Scootaloo."

"So you really meant what you said last night?"

"Scootaloo…" I said her name with great affection as I turned off the water and dried my hooves, "No filly as bright and hopeful as thou should be left behind, you may have that room."

Her face lit up but paused a moment with trepidation. I calmly strode up to her as she got out of the chair and placed a hoof on her shoulder.

"Really?" She had tears in her eyes by this point, and I myself couldn't find words to comfort her.

Actions would dictate my feelings as I pulled her into a gentle hug with my wings easily enveloping her form.

We stayed like that for almost a full minute with her crying into my chest, "I, Tempestus, Lord of the Everfree Keep, do so solemnly swear to safeguard and guide you till the day you are ready to leave this nest."

My voice was deep, and I had intentionally spoken softly so that only she would hear it. I could feel her shuddering against me, each sniff and sob sending pain into my heart.

Gently, I released her and she practically melted to the floor trying to hide her face, "Go get cleaned up, ye have time before school."

"Don't tell anypony I cried." She whispered as she calmed her breathing.

"A hardcore filly like yourself, cry? Please, what doth thou taketh me for? A liar?" I grinned down at her before looking at the clock, "Ten minutes before you must depart for the day, otherwise you may be late."

She nodded and dashed off toward the bathroom to wash her face. Once complete she ran up and hugged me again, though this time it was much shorter as she was trying not to break her 'tough' facade. Alas, she was out the door and galloping towards the schoolhouse across town as I began to think.

I must visit Mayor Mare, I imagine I have paperwork to do.

Internally, I sighed before grabbing up my old cloak and draping it upon myself. I then equipped my longsword to my back before exiting my home and locking the door. I did, however, place my spare key under the rug, just in case.

As I walked into town, many of the residents spared me an extra glance, as if they didn't believe their eyes. Curious, I stopped one: an earth pony mare with a grey coat and brunette mane.

"Pray tell, why is everypony seemingly on edge today?" She frowned, as if uncertain if she should speak with me.

"It would seem there were timberwolves in Sweet Apple Acres last night, and somepony reported hearing a dragon's roar. I do say, I believe everypony is awaiting another attack on the town." She paused and looked from side to side, "It seems to be a weekly occurrence around here, you know, Tuesday."

"Peculiar that it is a weekly occurrence, but you need not worry about an attack from either party this day, miss?" I smiled a bit.

"Octavia, mister?"

"Tempestus."

"And why would you say to not expect an attack?" She frowned as she looked at me a bit closer.

"The timberwolves have been taught their place, I saw to it. Personally." I paused before looking around and leaning in to whisper, "If you could spread the word that one of the Lunar Guards engaged and chased off the threats last night, I do believe it would ease the panic."

"That doesn't explain the dragon."

I smiled at her with teeth showing, "Perhaps he is closer than ye think."

"You?"

"Only a half blood, but I can breathe fire too."

"Could you demonstrate?"

"No, wooden town, lots of thatch, how is your insurance?"

"Hmm, duly noted sir."

"Yes, it would be bad if the town were to catch fire."

"Indeed, now, I suppose I should spread the word."

"Indeed, and I should get to town hall, it was a pleasure meeting you, Ms. Octavia."

"As was meeting you, Mr. Tempestus."

She left and approached a white unicorn with a most vibrant blue mane and began chatting away in a much less formal way before they split up to spread the news. As for myself, well I pressed onwards to Town Hall without any further resistance or commotion.

Stepping into Town Hall was most interesting, truth be told I had never entered the building before and was uncertain as to what to expect. Behind the counter sat a homely unicorn mare with a dark blue coat and white mane, she hardly spared me a glance as I made my way over, casually observing the paintings and old town photos that showed the town's evolution. I stopped at the other side of the desk and cleared my throat.

"Pleasant morning to you, to whom would I speak regarding a query of taking in a charge?" I don't know if it was my gravelly voice or my more old fashioned style of speaking but she looked up with a deadpan expression.

If looks could kill this could be a death ray.

"I am sorry, this is the town hall, not the orphanage." She replied with a scowl.

"I am well aware, however, the charge is not in the system and has been homeless for an unspecified amount of time." I fixed her with a practiced politician's stare, "Thus I need a government official."

She physically balked at me, a loss clearly shown upon her face as she worked her mouth trying to find words as she was met with only silence.

A full minute passed before she spoke, "I will check with Mayor Mare to see if she is free, could you wait here mister...?"

"Lord Tempestus." I used my title as it felt right in this situation.

The mare nodded before retreating into the building with her tail practically tucked between her legs. She reappeared in a few moments with a smile on her face.

With a gesture to the door behind her, "Mayor Mare will see you now, Lord."

With a curt nod I stepped past her and into the office. The room itself had eggshell colored walls with a mahogany trim. Otherwise it was sparsely decorated with paintings of the countryside and a few awards here and there. Sitting at her desk reading a couple papers was my quarry.

"Ma'am." I began only for her to raise a hoof.

"Lord Tempestus, I am a very busy mare. However, I will make the time to speak with you." She set the papers down in a neat pile and looked me in the eyes, "My secretary says that you have taken in a charge?"

"Correct, one filly named Scootaloo, I would assume that it is of no issue, so I came by to file the necessary paperwork." I replied, though this caused her to sigh.

"Well, it would be no issue if she were in the system, and it would most certainly help to have your background as well." She continued as she got up.

"I assume this means a trip to the archives?" I fell in behind her as she gave a nod.

It was not a long walk, the archives themselves were down the hall a couple doors and on the left. The room was massive with a few tables, reminiscent of a library but instead of books, there were filing cabinets reaching up the two story wall and fully covering the walls.

"The best I can think of is to check the birth records for anypony named Scootaloo, that way we can properly determine if she is an orphan or perhaps abandoned, or runaway." The mayor stated as we came to a stop just in front of the cabinets marked with the letter S.

"And I would assume that individual records are sorted by the name of the pony whom they belong to?" I tapped a drawer open.

"Correct."

And so we searched, she grabbed the ladder and went to the top while I checked the bottom files, between the two of us we found absolutely nothing.

"This can't be right…" She muttered as she came off the ladder, I placed the last file back into its slot and closed it up.

"What other options do we have Mayor Mare?" I had been frowning after I had passed her name in the order without a trace of it anywhere.

"Well, do we have a background on you anywhere?" I nodded, "Right, the best I can do is grant temporary custody and file a nationwide inquiry into the filly and her background."

"I will send for my background immediately, though I am afraid it may take a week to get here if it does at all, it seems as though Celestia has decided to hide our history quite well, a history I am well entwined with." My frown deepened.

Mayor Mare smiled, "Well, then if not a background check perhaps I could obtain written assurance of character from one of the princesses if you know them so well?"

I nodded, "I will try for both."

"Until then the filly is to remain in your care as you have shown good character thus far."

"You have my gratitude Mayor." I bowed my head to her before looking up at her raising an eyebrow at me, "Pray tell, why the look?"

"Your customs are a bit out of date, but then so is your title. I do so hope to get that background report." She smiled before we left the archives and she went back to her office.

I stopped by the desk and gave my thanks before heading back out to town. I had an idea resting on my brow and needed a few prefabricated items to make it correctly. Stopping first at the local hardware store, a place I had been meaning to investigate for some time since my arrival to Ponyville. Walking through the door I was greeted by the smell of iron, the sound of a bell chiming, and an old stallion snoring.

Not a busy day I see.

I decided not to wake him just yet as I figured it would be a simple task to locate wheels. I was wrong, I had found interesting things called pop rivets, screws, and tools to use them, but no wheels. I did procure grease and oil before adding paint to my borrowed cart as I wheeled it up to where the old pony slept.

Biting the bottom of my lip I broke the silence, "Pardon me, sir?"

The pony who was supposed to be minding the store shot up and looked around before squinting his eyes and pulling out glasses.

"Ah, oh, a customer. Hehe, sorry about that, must've dozed off for a spell." He rubbed the back of his head before eyeing the modestly loaded cart, "Find everything ya need son?"

I was about to say that I was older than I looked but stopped myself and settled for a smile, "Actually, I am seeking wheels."

"Ah, hahaha, I keep those behind the counter, what size?"

"Small enough for a scooter, but large enough to handle off road."

"Okay, so medium sport wheels, got it son." He dipped down and popped up with two wheels that seemed perfect for what I had in mind.

"You know, I sell scooter kits." He raised a brow as I pulled out about ten bits over what was owed him.

"I am a blacksmith, I have the material, just needed the special parts." I made a point to look him in the eye, "Thank you for thine aid in this matter, you have a pleasant shop, I will visit again."

"Anytime, please do come back if ya need anything!" He waved as I exited the store and made my way home.

I still had about four hours before Scootaloo got out of school. When I did arrive at home I didn't go to the door, but instead walked around the left to a large open patio of sorts. Just like the one I learned in, my forge was attached to the side of my home. Walking past the furnace I absently shot a short burst of flame into the inert and awaiting coals before closing the hatch to bring it up to temperature. I selected a few ingots before placing them in a bucket.

I took a quick glance to the more modern equipment in the room, namely the hydraulic press, before acquiring my hammer. I waited a full half hour before putting the first ingot into the flames, now at a proper temperature. I pulled the heated metal out and placed it on the anvil. I proceeded to beat the tar out of it, making a flat surface and shaping out sections for the wheels over the better part of two hours. I then super heated it once more before dipping it into a vat of oil, causing the entire base for the scooter to catch fire before I squelched it in water and began repeating the process.

Truth be told, tempering things had become a habit, even when wholly unnecessary. After a few rounds I set it to the side and began working on the hoofbars and then the separate brake lever. Once the three parts were made I took them to the grinding wheel and began to fine tune the rough edges before graduating to the polishing wheel. After another hour of this I took a look at the new tools again and proceeded to drill holes into my work. Satisfied with how everything was lining up I took out my rivets and their respective tool and grabbed a piece of rubber I had cut and added ridges along, and attached it to the base plate via rivets. I affixed the axles and wheel, then screwed the brake on. Finally, I inserted the hoofbars to their new home and secured them via three screws that I locked into place with a nut.

I then found myself frowning, Scootaloo would probably spend the day in town with her friends, so I still had time to paint my creation. Going into my storage closet I pulled out red enamel paint and began detailing. Making certain to not just coat the entire thing, but paint thin lines along the base and not get any on the rubber either on the base or hoofbars. I finished my detailing in a small crest that showed off her Cutie mark on the front of the scooter.

I took a step back and smiled at my work, from the ground up this scooter maybe weighed fifteen pounds. I just hoped that she would like it, after all it was a significantly different scooter than what she had before. I walked inside with it folded next to me and rested it against her door before sitting down on my couch and just existing.

About an hour after I sat down and lost myself in a multitude of thoughts I heard a knock at the door. Rising and crossing the distance I opened the door to see my new charge looking up at me sheepishly with a small box on her back.

I raised an eyebrow, "Scootaloo, pray tell I had thought you would be spending the day with your friends?"

"Yeah, they were busy so I went to where I stashed my things the other night before the storm… figured I should get them before somepony else did." She lowered her head.

My frown deepened before I lowered myself down to her level, "You needn't worry about that my little filly, and you needn't knock on your own door."

I coaxed her inside with a hoof and closed the door, she had yet to look up. I screwed my face up trying to think of a way to get her to perk up before I had an idea.

"Say, Lady Scootaloo, would thou like to get thy room set up properly?" I smiled as she looked up at me, "After all, it is only right that you get to choose your furnishings."

"Do you mean, I get to personalize my room?" Her irises practically took up her eyeballs, no whites anywhere, just magenta.

"If you so desire, I can place the other things elsewhere, it is your room after all." I smiled, not only was her reaction positive, but this was something I had never quite done before, both of my other daughters had had their chambers in the multitude of keeps, but they had kept what little real belongings they had on them.

This would prove to be enlightening.

"I… I… oh, I don't even know what to call you." She hugged me again, and if it weren't for my considerable bulk I would have been having difficulty breathing.

"Well, you could call me by name, sir, or captain, though I would prefer the foremost as the other two sound far too formal.” I hugged her back gently as she began sobbing.

Oh what am I going to do with you my precious little filly?

"O- okay Tempestus?" She asked as she pulled away.

"Whatever you wish, Scootaloo." I smiled, recalling what I had next to her door, "Oh yes, I almost forgot about thine gift."

"Gift?" Her head tilted to the side as she eyed me suspiciously.

"Next to thine door, little one." I smiled as her gaze drifted to the shining scooter as she forgot about everything else and practically hovered, jumped, and began inspecting it with vigor.

"It’s so awesome!"

Author's Note:

And thus Chapter 2 is out. Yeah, monthly uploads for now lads and lassies. That said, Chapter 3 hints.

Perhaps a certain Cyan Pegasus will make her debut.

Furniture

And maybe, the start of the story!

I look forward to guiding us there!

Note: Wow I did not hold up on the monthly updates... Shame on me.

Now edited by Flutterjackdash