• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 22,630 Views, 4,497 Comments

Sunset's Isekai - Wanderer D



Somewhere, out there, there's a bar with a familiar yin-yang sun on the door.

  • ...
45
 4,497
 22,630

PreviousChapters Next
Chocolatl (Maya and the Three)

Sunset's Isekai
Chocolatl (Maya and the Three)
By Wanderer D

"Here you go," the bartender said, setting the mug of chocolatl on the table.

Lady Micte blinked and looked up. 'When did I start getting so distracted?' she wondered silently. But she knew. She knew very well when… and why.

She glanced around at the other gods and goddesses, wondering if any of them had witnessed her lapse, but they were all concentrated on their own conversations, and their own problems. They were so different from what she was used to… and not.

Long, straight black hair, pointy ears and purple irises… one goddess of death from another realm quietly sipped her tea… of a variety she was unaware of, immersed in thoughts and contemplating a menu.

Another goddess, with white, flowing gowns that revealed painted blue lines on her pale skin, gentle blue eyes and brown hair in a ponytail giggled while her two sisters, one looking like a younger version of her, the other just a bit more mature, but with deep tanned skin and white mane-like hair dressed in black and purple, all seemingly amused by the white-gowned goddess with the golden staff that had joined them at their table earlier, who seemed happy enough while telling them about the exploits of her warriors against other gods.

Another powerful being… a demon in a suit more similar to what the bartender was wearing, but with a face painted to look almost like a skeleton (very similar to her own look) and long blonde hair sat at another table, arguing about redemption and the future with a short woman in an elaborate and frilly black and red dress with a bow on her head that made it look like she had cat ears and a huge, purple axe.

A woman with wolf ears and a tail ate dried fruits from a plate while amusedly watching two cat gods argue back and forth about which of their fighters were better. Those two would have started on a rampage earlier were it not for another group of gods—a muscular man with chained forearms, bald, beared and painted in white and red; a female deity also with a cat head and dressed similarly to them; another goddess with an elaborate cape made of crow feathers; and a familiar-looking god (almost as if being from her own pantheon) a man painted in blue, with elaborate gold decorations, feathers and a serpent staff—all glaring at them from across the room. Gods of war. None of them her husband, thankfully.

The glares had given them pause, but they hadn't really limited themselves to arguing at a slightly-louder than normal voice until the bartender had placed her hands on both their shoulders and told them flat-out to sit down and refrain from fighting… or else.

Still, despite all the other gods and demons in the room, she felt at peace. Like she had space to be herself. None of the gods here were from her own specific pantheon, no need to be tense and in fear that her husband would find her weak or worse, remorseful.

Themes were familiar. Great exploits. Warriors of light and darkness. Redemption. Gifts. The pride that came with being a god. And yet, other than the two brothers, there was no underhanded attempt to gain power or the upper hand.

Why would they need that, when none of the others belonged to their pantheon? Or even their universe?

Gratefully holding the chocolatl, she sipped the bitter concoction as she gazed at the silver card on the table. Her sister, La Santa Muerte, had given it to her. There was little she could do to hide her true feelings and despair from her sibling, after all… and her sister had suggested she find a moment to be alone and use the card.

She had not expected this. That the microcosmos that was her universe, her pantheon and world, were part of something so much bigger and varied. That there were other gods and entities out there who didn't have their own egos only to care about. It was humbling, but also encouraging to know that there was something beyond the grasp of her husband, as powerful as he was.

It gave her hope. For the world. For herself… for her daughter.

The thought of Maya soured her improving mood. King Teca had suffered a devastating defeat, not only with his armies, but the loss of his three sons weighed heavily in her mind. How would Maya deal with the deaths of her brothers? How would she deal with the defeat of the army? She shook her head, thinking about the funeral, and humming the jaguar song to herself.

Through her escapades to spend time with Maya, she had gotten to know them well enough. They were brave and caring, and they loved their adopted sister without reservation. The whole Teca family had welcomed her child there, despite the harm that could have come thanks to her.

"That is a beautiful melody," a voice said. "Bolom Chon, right?"

Lady Micte blinked, startled. She looked at the bartender, who was smiling at her. Then she realized that everyone else was gone, and her chocolatl had been drank. Apparently she had been lost in her thoughts too long.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I didn't realize you were closing."

"I'm not," the bartender replied, placing a fresh mug of chocolatl in front of her. "Time works a bit differently here, and when someone needs it, well, it's here. So, what brings you to the bar? I see you got one of my cards, and you look a bit familiar, but you haven't been here before."

Lady Micte studied the bartender for a moment. She certainly wasn't human, whether she was a goddess or a demon, Lady Micte didn't know, but she knew, she could feel that this bartender was powerful. Far too powerful to be a simple bartender, and yet here she was.

She supposed that it was necessary for the owner of an establishment such as this to have that much power, if she was to order gods and demons around and maintain order. She thought back to when she had walked in, and how she had been greeted.

She looked at the card. Sunset's Isekai. "My sister, La Santa Muerte, suggested I visit your establishment. I've… had some tough times lately." She rose slowly and bowed. "Allow me to introduce myself, I am Lady Micte, goddess of death."

The bartender smiled, and bowed as well. "Welcome to my bar, my name is Sunset Shimmer. I would have spoken to you earlier, but you had a lot to think about and I figured you needed some space."

Sunset motioned with her hand, and Lady Micte took her offer, sitting down at her table, this time joined by the mysterious bar owner. "La Santa Muerte, huh? I haven't seen her recently, I thought she had forgotten about this place."

"Oh, no—" Lady Micte laughed. "Nunca. She spoke to me of this place with a very clear desire to come back. I think she just wanted me to take a break from the things my esposo, Lord Mictlan is doing…" she hesitated. "I am… partly to blame for someone dear to me losing very close family." She wrapped her arms around herself, staring morosely at the chocolatl's surface. "I have many sins to pay for, but this one… this one hits very close to my heart."

Sunset grimaced. "How did it happen?"

"When King Teca, his sons, and his armies went to fight for Princess Maya's sake, my husband… Lord Mictlan used his powers to kill her brothers and seriously hurt the king." She cleared her throat. "The king and I… had a daughter. While we were both married. Myself to Mictlan, he to his wife, Queen Teca."

Sunset's eyebrows shot up. "Oh."

Lady Micte looked down in shame. "At first I thought this whole thing up because I was power hungry," she continued, "but having a child… me? The Goddess of Death? I created a life within me, and brought her to the world… only because she was to be a sacrifice."

Leaning back, Sunset crossed her arms. "I assume things changed?"

"I couldn't go through with it. I convinced him to wait, delivering my daughter to her father, who was the king of the mightiest human kingdom." She sighed. "Queen Teca was not happy with the King, but she adopted my daughter and raised her as her own, with no questions of hesitation. She gave her all the love a mother could give to a child." She chuckled slightly. "My little Maya grew up strong, loved and happy…" her brow darkened "...until my legacy caught up with her."

"So what will you do?"

The question took Lady Micte by surprise. She looked up at the expectant face of Sunset Shimmer, who had leaned forward, resting her arms on the table. "What?"

"What will you do now?" Sunset repeated. "It seems your daughter could really use your help now."

"I-I don't know." Lady Micte cringed, looking up at Sunset. "I know I deserve her hatred, and that she probably won't forgive me… but even if I try to help, will she accept that?"

"Claro que si!" a male voice said.

Blinking, Lady Micte turned to look at who had spoken. There, on the table next to theirs, sat three men in elaborate jaguar armor. They were all grinning at her and Sunset, elbows on the table, eyes wide and proud. Their bodies were made of soft, golden light, and although they seemed ephemeral, they also somehow appeared to be as solid as she and Sunset were. "How are you three here?"

"Eso es..." the one with the spear started.

"Because you left the funeral..." the one with the shield added.

"...too early, Lady Micte," the last one with two daggers finished.

Lady Micte stood up and bowed deeply. "I am so sorry for the pain my husband and I brought to you and your family."

"Eh, just a little bit," Spear said.

"Well. Okay, more than a bit," Shield added. "We did die."

"But you brought not just pain, my Lady," Dagger said immediately. "Thanks to you, we had Maya."

"The best sister!"

"The strongest sister!"

"The tiniest sister?"

"She is tiny."

"Pequeñita, but don't tell her that."

"Okay, I'm losing track of who's speaking," Sunset said, laughing a little. "What brings you here boys?"

"Ah, Lady Micte," Dagger said, sighing. "Maya is stubborn, but she is also—"

"Strong! She punched a—mph!" Shield was interrupted by Spear, covering his mouth with his hand.

"Gentle and forgiving." Spear said, glaring at his brother.

Dagger nodded. "She might give you a hard time, buuuut, she will warm up to you."

"We know now you were watching over her all along," Shield said, pulling down Spear's hand. "Y una vez que sepa?" He waved his hand dismissively. "I'm sure she'll come around." He cleared his throat. "Eventually."

Lady Micte sniffled, smiling at the trio. "Boys… thank you… but how…"

"Dia de los Muertos!" Spear said, grinning. "Ademas, con el funeral…"

"How could we not?" Dagger asked.

"We already gave Maya a hint about the true prophesy," Shield said, earning sagely nods from the other two.

"It's just a matter of time before she sets out to the Underworld," Dagger said and frowned. "That is when she'll need the most help."

"Your help," Shield clarified.

"What matters right now, is if you will," Sunset said. "I can see you're afraid of your husband… but there will come a time when you have to decide what to do."

"We believe in you," Spear said, marching over to place a ghostly hand gently on Lady Micte's shoulder.

"After all, you were there for us when we died," Dagger added, placing his hand on her other shoulder.

"And we know you love her, like we do." Shield said, standing in front of her and placing his hands on his brother's shoulders, making a small circle of the four of them.

"We learned early on that death, lady death…"

"That means you…"

"...is always with us. A constant companion."

"Now that we are dead, we'll be with you and Maya."

The trio glowed brighter and then faded into a golden aura that went into Lady Micte, who embraced it until it was all gone. "You know, Sunset… I think I know what to do now."

Sunset nodded, smiling.

"But first… I think I need to finish my chocolatl. I have a few tough months ahead."

Author's Note:

A short one, but I wanted to do something for Day of the Dead.

Okay! So, guest stars at the Isekai:

Goddesses of Death (each on their own table): Micte and Kuro

At the bar: Beerus and Champa, with Holo watching (amused) at their antics.

Gods of War Table: Kratos, Huitzilopochtli, Sekhmet, The Morrigan

Conversation about redemption: Charlie Magne and Rory Mercury

Goddesses talking about warriors fighting gods: Belldandy, Skuld and Urd talking with Saori Kido (Athena).

PreviousChapters Next