• Published 23rd Jun 2019
  • 22,640 Views, 4,497 Comments

Sunset's Isekai - Wanderer D



Somewhere, out there, there's a bar with a familiar yin-yang sun on the door.

  • ...
45
 4,497
 22,640

PreviousChapters Next
Paws of Thermodynamics (Zootopia — Movie Pt. 1)

Sunset's Isekai
Paws of Thermodynamics (Zootopia — Movie Pt. 1)
By Wanderer D

Sunset looked down at her paws and wiggled them gently, noticing how they were slightly longer than they should have been, closer to hands. She admired her claws, feral and sharp. She touched her face. Her muzzle. Touched her fangs with her tongue. Panted. Licked her nose. She wagged her tail. She adjusted her jeans (which had a convenient gap for her tail to go through) and her jacket. She summoned a mirror, admiring her looks. At least her hair was still there, if shorter, framing her canine face. "A wolf?" she finally asked, dismissing the mirror.

"A red wolf, and I dare say a lovely one at that, with that shade of cantaloupe to your fur," Rarity replied, stretching a bit, her long neck almost inviting a bite. She noticed Sunset's look. "Really, darling, what would Freya say if she caught you staring at me with those eyes?"

Sunset cringed and cleared her throat, glancing away. "Sorry. Sorry. It's… weird. It's a very similar transformation to the cat kingdom, instincts, animal senses and everything."

"Well, if you handled being a cat for Haru's wedding, I'm sure you can handle being a wolf in a big city." Rarity said.

"I guess that's true," Sunset agreed, "but also, well… you're an antelope."

Rarity posed. "The best antelope."

Sunset snorted. "Anyway, it's not overwhelming, just different. Still, this is just..." she glanced at the city spread around them. "Reminds me of Anima City. Except it's less anthropomorphic."

"This city is called Zootopia, and this is basically the capital of this world. It's huge, far bigger than what we can see from here, with biomes adjusted for species that have different biological needs. Like, say Babylon 5, this place is intended to bring both prey and predator species together for a better future."

Sunset shrugged. She'd seen space stations before. This was the same principle. "So, what are we doing here?"

"You, my dear, are sight-seeing." Her business partner stated, crossing her arms, and glaring at her. "You've been cooped up in the bar without visiting any other worlds for far too long. If Scrooge and I didn't come by to drag you out on occasion, you'd have been stuck in there for fifty years straight since your last outing."

"I wasn't there that long," she replied, ears flattening back.

Rarity just gave her a look. "In any case, try not to get into too much trouble, alright dear? We're here for a week or two, so no inter-dimensional customers."

"But—"

"Ah, ah!" Rarity raised a finger. "No talking back, young lady. This world is not ready to know about other universes and you getting dear G'kar involved in the politics of this place would be…" she paused, then sighed. "Bad. Hilarious. But bad. Also, magic does not exist here, so keep it to yourself. Just be glad no one saw that mirror stunt."

Sunset sighed. "Fine, fine." She glanced at the door, missing it's usual sign.

"Sunset," Rarity lay a gentle hoof on her shoulder. "You need to relax. It really has been a long time since you've last gone anywhere for longer than a couple of hours. The bar will still be our home, just don't use it as a bar while we're here." She tapped her chin, a habit she had picked up from Sunset herself. "Just do like you did in Universe 7."

"Tch." Sunset crossed her arms, and looked away, channeling her inner Vegeta. "Fine."

"I knew I could count on you," Rarity said, rubbing Sunset's head. Both of them looked back at the latter's behind when the tail started wagging. "Oh my goodness, you're adorable."

"Yeah, yeah," Sunset muttered. "Go on. Scram."

Rarity giggled and waved as she started walking away. "See you in a few weeks, Sunset."

"Whatever you're planning, make sure it's not illegal!"

Rarity didn't turn, but Sunset could tell her partner had actually giggled. She sighed in defeat, then started walking towards the train station. Regardless of her earlier grumpiness, she quickly started enjoying the view.

The city was wide and open, with plenty of space for everyone. Animals of all sizes and species—even ones that would normally not even be in the same ecosystem—mingled, talked and laughed together. She dodged a group of kids… cubs? Tigers, sheep, pigs and what looked like a house cat, ran past her, giggling and playing with each other.

The weather was great.

"This place is unreal," she muttered, just as an elderly goat ran past her, shouting and waving at the children.

"Kids! Come back! It's time to head over to the museum of history!"

"Aww, can we stay longer, Miss Babbage?" a young cheetah asked, joining the group, along with a pair of zebras.

"Why the museum? Can't we go somewhere else? Besides, I thought we were banned when Harold broke that arrow head."

"We are not banned, and this is a planned field trip," Miss Babbage responded. "Now, make sure you have all your things and are ready to go."

The chorus of disappointed groans made Sunset smile. Children would be children, no matter the world. Still, this world was pretty unique, and what better way to learn more about it than at a museum? She approached the group. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear that you were going to the museum?" she asked, stopping a respectful distance from the teacher and her group. "I'm new in town, and it just seems like a perfect place to start learning more about Zootopia. If you could point me in the right direction to get there, I would really appreciate it."

Miss Babbage had been giving her a wary look, but as soon as she heard that, she relaxed a little. "It's okay, dear, why don't you walk with us? It's just a couple of blocks away."

Sunset smiled. "That would be great, thank you."

"Miss Babbage? Why does she have such long hair? Is she half-lion?" one of the tigers, a little girl, asked.

Looking around, Sunset did notice that most other animals only had their usual length of hair or fur. She looked down at the tiny tiger and knelt down to be on her same level. "Do you like it?"

The tiger nodded. "It's pretty! And it has two colors!"

"Thanks! What's your name?"

"I'm Molly," the tiny tigress replied.

"Kelly!" one of the zebras said.

The other children enthusiastically introduced themselves, making Sunset repeat all their names a couple of times to their satisfaction. "My name is Sunset, nice to meet you."

Miss Babbage cleared her throat, making Sunset stand up and the children gather 'round. "Okay kids, I see everyone's here. Miss Sunset will walk with us to the museum."

True to Miss Babbage's word, the museum was only two blocks away, still within reasonable distance from the train station, and the large plaza where most of the ecosystems had direct transportation to, which made sense. Sunset noticed that there was a sign for a train station next to the museum, but it had been cordoned off with police tape.

"Huh, Miss Babbage? Do you know what happened to the train station here?"

"Oh, it was severely damaged when officers Hopps and Wilde took down the Night-howlers operation."

"Yeah! Officer Hopps rules!" one of the zebras yelled.

"Kids, we're going in. Inside voices please."

Sunset chuckled and turned to face the teacher. "Thank you so much for bringing me here. I hope you guys have fun!"

"Bye miss Sunset!" the children echoed each other as they walked into the museum after their teacher.

Sunset waved at them before taking in the site. It was huge, with arches and marble columns. It extended far and beyond where she could see and even though there were giraffes and elephants among the patrons, they all seemed small in comparison to the structure itself. She took a deep breath and stepped in, taking some local money out of her pocket and dropping it in the donations box, which earned her a grateful nod from a nearby rhino guard. The main lobby was circular, curving around a model of Zootopia. The murals depicted scenes from the past, with a tribe of zebras and a tribe of lions in the savanna shaking hooves and paws.

For the next hour, Sunset made her way slowly through the first couple of exhibits. There was so much history here that was so similar, and yet different to both of her original worlds, that internalizing the similarities and seeing where it differed was an interesting mental experiment. This place would take more than a couple of visits to fully appreciate.

She smelled something burning almost as soon as she heard the alarm blaring. The security guards started shouting for everyone to walk outside, and the building shook with several explosions of some sort.

Sunset followed the other animals out of the building, stepping back as more and more rushed out and the smoke coming out of the windows got thicker. Another explosion followed, and someone shouted that the main gas line might be compromised.

It didn't take long for sirens to approach, and several firefighters and police arrived at the scene. Sunset grimaced. The museum was beautiful, it was a shame that something like this had happened. Hopefully the firefighters—

"Please, officer!"

She turned her head to the familiar voice, and she ran over to where Miss Babbage and several—but not all—of the children were crowding around an elephant police officer. "Oh no. That's not good…" Sunset muttered. It was too obvious… three of the kids were missing. "Miss Babbage! Where are Molly, Santino, and Josh?"

"Oh, Sunset!" Babbage gasped, taking her arm. "They're inside! They split from the group to go to the restrooms next to the Mammoth and Sabre-tooth exhibit! I couldn't get to them before we were chased out!" she looked up at the officer. "Please! They're only children!"

The elephant shook her head. "I'm sorry ma'am, but the firefighters will do what they can. I'm sure that—" she was interrupted when the flames erupted from the doors of the museum, despite the firefighters' attempts to put it out.

Sunset watched the fire then glanced at the Zootopia fire department. They would put the fire out, but they were not going to make it in time. Especially since, if she recalled the map of the museum correctly, that exhibit was towards the back, on the second floor.

She felt her fur rise and glared at the entrance. She could feel the flow and heat of the fire. It would consume most of the building before it was put out. She had no choice.

"I can save them."

The animals, children, teacher, and officer around her just paused and stared at her. It took barely a second before the elephant raised her arm in protest.

"Miss! Stop!"

Sunset didn't even hesitate. The moment she made up her mind, she had rushed past the elephant officer, dodged a tackle by a rabbit officer, and bolted right in between two firefighters. She had abandoned any attempt to move on her hind legs only, and the boost of speed from her new body was impressive. She was much faster than she would have been as human, for sure.

The building shook once more, and fire poured out of the doors and windows, licking the outside of the structure and sending a blast of heat that staggered the other animals… but not Sunset.

Despite the fact that Judy Hopps didn't have that many fond memories of the Zootopia Museum of Natural History, seeing it in flames was definitely not as cathartic as she might have expected. The place had given her nightmares where everything had gone wrong; where Nick had died in the train crash, or where he had been shot with a real Night-howler. It had always ended with him asking her why didn't she save him.

And now, once again she was here, but this time working the perimeter to let the firefighters do their job. She and the other officers were simply there to support and keep the gawkers from getting too close or endangering themselves and others.

"They're only children!"

Judy cringed at the desperate wail and glanced at where Pennington was trying to calm down a goat with a small group of children, and a wolf with fancy hair. She understood too well the frustration, especially with children being involved, but— she narrowed her eyes when the wolf turned to look at the building. That look was much more familiar to her. It was the look that said: 'I'm doing this, and you ain't gonna stop me.'

Lo and behold, the wolf darted past Pennington like she wasn't even there. Having anticipated this, Judy had already taken a running leap at the she-wolf, but she was faster than expected, dodging under Judy's jump, and making eye contact for the briefest of seconds before bouncing up the stairs just as yet another flare pushed everyone back… however, the wolf seemed unaffected, and dove right through the flames.

"Miss Sunset!"

Judy pushed herself up and trotted over to Pennington. "What happened!? Why did she do that?"

"I don't know!" Pennington's voice had a tinge of hysteria to it. "She said she could save them and ran in!"

"I can't believe she jumped through the fire like that!" one of the firefighters shouted to the other, who shook his head and grimly kept pouring water. "She's dead, for sure!"

Judy turned to look at the goat teacher as she tried to calm down the crying children. "Why did the other teacher do that?"

"She's not a teacher," the goat lady answered, giving the museum a mournful look. "We met her today, she's new in town."

"She must've gone crazy," Pennington said sadly. "There's no way anyone would just… do that."

"Look!" A nearby wildebeest shouted pointing at the museum.

Judy and the others turned around just in time to see a ball of fire jump out from the entrance, landing right next to the firefighters and rolling to a stop, as the flames dissipated, revealing the she-wolf from earlier, breathing heavy and steaming, apparently, but more importantly holding three young children, which she released, falling onto her back, panting.

The crowds that had gathered and gasped at her daring, started cheering and shouting in amazement. Cell phones and cameras flashed all around at the unexpected heroics of a single wolf saving a tiger, a zebra and a pig.

"Molly! Josh! Santino!" the goat teacher gasped, followed by the children around them. Judy and Pennington watched as the kids joined their teacher, before glancing down at the smug looking, sprawled she-wolf, who was grinning at Pennington.

"Told you I could do it."

Judy rolled her eyes. "It was still crazy."

The young tigress coughed, then looked up at her with blurry eyes. "Officer Hopps? Miss Sunset isn't in trouble, is she?"

"Don't worry, while reckless, we could argue it falls into the Good Neighbor law, right Pennington?" She looked all the way up at her elephant coworker, who nodded eagerly, if a bit distractedly.

"Oh yeah. Um. Hopps, I just saw the Mayor Lionheart's limo pull up."

At the elephant's words, Judy groaned. "Great, hopefully he'll stay focused right now."

"Officer Hopps!" one of the firefighters—a panda—trotted up to her. "I just got a call from officer Wilde, he said the gas lines have all been shut down. I don't know if that was really what was going on here, but it should help."

"Seems to be doing the job," the she-wolf said, still on the floor. Her eyes were on the museum and Judy also looked that way. It wasn't too obvious, but she thought she could see that the flames were slowly receding.

"Right." Judy shook her head, and nodded at the panda—who ran off to assist the other firefighters—and offered a paw to the wolf, who blinked in surprise, but took her offer. Soon, the she-wolf was standing up and wiping her jeans and jacket.

"Hopps!" the familiar voice of Mayor Lionheart reached them, as the lion himself made his way past the crowds and officers. "What's the situation?"

"Well, sir," Judy said, standing a bit straighter and bracing herself. "It seems the fire department has a handle on the situation now. We don't know what caused this yet, but we'll keep you informed."

Lionheart growled slightly at the sight of the museum. "This is a tragedy. The artifacts inside the museum, the possible loss of life… it'll be a dark day in the history of Zootopia."

He then turned to look at the wolf taking her paw in his. "I saw your stunt on social media, miss…"

"Um… Sunset. Sunset Shimmer," the wolf replied.

"Sunset Shimmer!" he repeated, smiling wildly. "What you have done by saving these three children can never be measured, but please expect an invitation after the fire is put out… officer Hopps here can take your number."

Judy blinked. "Uh… me, sir?"

"Of course! We need all the heroes we can get to reassure the people of Zootopia in these trying times. Make sure you bring officer Wilde along for the press conference."

"Press conference?" Sunset asked. "Look, sir, I appreciate it, but I just did what anyone who knows their way around fire would do. There's really no need—"

"Oh, don't be shy!" Mayor Lionheart insisted, his personality pushing full-strength as he wrapped his arm around the wolf and motioned to the crowd around them. "Everyone here knows you're a hero! And here in Zootopia, we make sure our heroes are recognized." He glanced over. "Isn't that right, Officer Hopps?"

"It's unavoidable." Judy muttered. Something was nagging her about the conversation, but what?

"So, you both make sure to come around at the right time. I heard you were from out of town, correct? Well, since Officer Hopps will be joining us later, I'm sure she'd be happy to show you around."

"Sir, there's really no need for this. Really."

"Hopps?"

"Yes sir?"

"Why don't you and miss Shimmer go fetch Wilde, and have something to eat. Put it on my tab."

"Sir, I'm working right now and—"

"I've already cleared it with Chief Bogo." Lionheart gave her a slightly strained smile.

Judy sighed. "Fine."

"Great! I'll see you two later!"

She watched the Mayor walk away and jump into his limo, and just like that he was gone.

"I'm sorry," Sunset Shimmer said. "I know you have better things to do than show a tourist around."

Judy shrugged and shook her head. "Nothing we can do right now. Besides, the other officers have this under control, and knowing Chief Bogo, he's already sent support. That and—" she glanced at the museum, "—for now there's nothing much we can do until the scene is investigated by professionals."

"Miss Shimmer!" The little tigress from earlier ran over to give Sunset a hug. "Thank you for saving us!"

"Of course! I couldn't just abandon my first friends in the city, right?" She ruffled the kid's hair and stood up. "Take good care of them, Miss Babbage."

"Of course, Sunset, and thank you," the goat said, taking Sunset's paws in her cloven hooves. The wolf waved at them all then stepped next to Judy, looking down to meet her eyes. "Well, officer, where to?"

"First we're finding Nick," Judy said, turning around and motioning for Sunset to follow. "And then, we're going somewhere expensive."

"Heh. I like you already."

End Part 1

Author's Note:

Welcome to part 1 of the Zootopia crossover! Why part 1? Well, I wanted to do something slightly different this time around, and force Sunset out of her natural habitat in a way that wasn't a noodle incident. It'll still stick to the normal bar routine later on, but why not have some fun with one of my favorite rabbits?

PreviousChapters Next