• Published 24th Jul 2019
  • 6,409 Views, 177 Comments

Flash Sentry Chronicles: The Knight of Friendship - Banshee531



The time has finally come. After years of training, dangerous adventures and fights that would kill a normal pony, Flash Sentry is only one step away from being a Royal Knight. But can he overcome this final obstacle, and achieve his dream?

  • ...
6
 177
 6,409

The Knight of Friendship

"RRRRAAAAAHHHHH!" Flash screamed as he charged at Cold, everypony watching in the stands already on the edge of their seats. It was here Flash reached Cold, his weapon glowing orange as he yelled, "Flash Cutter!" He swung the sword at Cold's head, only for a shield of ice to suddenly appear, blocking the energy blade. Flash flared his wings next, leaping back as the shield broke apart before reforming into a sphere of ice.

"Cold Eagle Flock!" From out of the ice flew a swarm of bird shaped ice sculptures, all flying at Flash with bladed wings. Flash glared at the sight, quickly jumping around as several dive-bombed at him. And as the attack continued, a few birds shattered upon impact into the ground while others were cut to pieces by Flash's blade. However, this meant nothing as Cold's horn sparked, "Cold Field!" A sheet of ice covered the floor next, Flash making sure to stay in the air as Cold sent another barrage of birds, these all surrounding the defender.

"Got no choice." Flash whispered to himself as he entered Theta Mode, the pegasi speeding up as he sliced through the line of birds before swinging his sword at Cold, "Flash Cutter!"

"Cold Saber!" Cold formed a blade of ice at that command, the sword blocking Flash's strike with ease. But as he guarded himself from the attack, Flash appeared in front of the unicorn, quickly spinning like a top before slamming one of his back hooves into Cold's chest. The blow knocked him sliding back, the ice grinding as Cold pushed himself to a halt.

"Cold Tigers!" His horn flared as a trio of tiger shaped sculptures appeared, all pouncing at the defender.

"Flash Driver!" He spun into a spiralling drill of light, smashing the first tiger before turning around, slamming both back hooves into the second. This blow knocked it back into the third, all three tigers now shattering into icy dust. Flash then spun around, hopping back to his hooves with weapon in hoof, "Not too shabby if I say so myself. Impressed yet?"

Cold smirked as he formed his own blade. "Your dance moves are impressive, but not enough for me to deem you worthy of being a knight. Or even existing." With that, he galloped up to Flash, slashing at the pegasi. But the apprentice knight easily blocked the blow, quickly countering with a cut from his own blade that shattered the ice sword. In response, Cold summoned an ice axe and swung it at Flash's neck, only for Flash to destroy it as well.

This went on for several long minutes, Cold creating a new weapon that Flash easily cut through each time. And as this went on, the audience watched in confusion and surprise, all wondering if the fight was now perfectly even.

"I can't tell who's winning," Spike commented.

"I don't think anypony's winning," Springer replied with crossed arms.

"Which shows how much stronger Flash is compared to their last battle," Celestia added with a glum frown. "Before, Flash could barely keep up with Cold, but now they're both even."

Luna sighed at this, "Which means this is a battle of stamina and strategy, both of which they each possess above the other. Flash in stamina and Cold in strategy...but Cold has more experience."

"Which means Cold still has the edge," Trixie gulped while Luna nodded. Everypony else grimaced at this, only for their ears to start hearing the sound of crunching popcorn.

They looked up, only to see Discord scarfing down a whole tub of popcorn. A series of glares following this, Discord chomping down on a clawful before asking, "What?"

"Really?" Applejack growled, "Ya'll eating popcorn right now?"

"Don't you know how serious this is?!" Rainbow added.

"Well excuse me, I'm worried about Flashy losing again." Discord told her as he started eating part of the tub that was holding the popcorn. "I'll have you know, being nervous makes me hungry. Even chaos spirits need to watch their blood sugar."

Everypony rolled their eyes before turning back to the battlefield, Cold now summoning two swords. Flash blocked the first blade, only for the second's approach to force Flash into just blocking the blade rather than destroying it. Cold smirked at this, swinging back and forth as Flash could only block each attack. And as he did a push after a two swipe-combo, Flash leapt back and took to the skies. "Oh no you don't. Cold Blast!" Cold yelled as several magic bullets shot out of his horn.

"Flash Vortex!" The pegasus spun his sword around, creating a whirlpool of light that blocked the ice barrage. As these projectiles disintegrated from the light, Flash charged at the knight while spinning, morphing into a wheel of light, "Flash Grinder!"

"Cold Pillar!" Cold yelled as he slammed his hooves into the frozen dirt, a barrage of ice spikes now shooting up between him and Flash. The shining wheel hit the first one and cut through, soon going through the second before stopping as it hit the third, all its speed now gone. But as Flash came to a halt and gripped the ice spike, his ears shot up, "Cold Force!" Looking up, the unicorn was now on top of the spike Flash was on, a tornado of cold air forming from his horn.

"Whoa!" Flash yelped as he leapt off the spike, quickly spinning up into the air as his sword began to glow, "Flash Cutter Barrage!"

"Cold Saber!" Cold responded, creating a pair of ice swords that he quickly used to ward off the energy blades. And as he did this, he hopped off the spike as his horn sparked again, "Cold Dragon!" As soon as he hit the ground, several serpent like ice sculptures flew out of the dirt, all ready to strike the pegasus.

The defender quickly slashed at the first ice beast, beheading it with ease. But as this happened, two more charged at him, Flash flapping back to dodge both, only for a third to appear and clamp its mouth down on him. "FLASH!" His friends all screamed, only to gasp as the head shattered a second later, Flash flying out with a roar.

"Flash Cutter/Cold Saber!" The two yelled before clashing, their blades now firing out a powerful gust throughout the whole battlefield. The two pushed, both glaring at each other before a backlash of force hit both, Cold's sword shattering while Flash was knocked flying back. Landing, Flash grinded his hooves into the battlefield, trying to slow himself down. But as he did this, he looked up and saw Cold galloping at him, the unicorn spinning to kick Flash's face. The pegasi swiftly pulled his head back, evading the strike as he threw a punch. Cold grabbed the hoof and rolled back, pulling Flash down with him. He then shoved his back hooves into the pegasi's stomach, knocking him rolling down the icy floor.

The pegasus grunted as he spun like a ball, quickly getting back to his hooves. It was here he noticed that his Celestic Gear was behind Cold, the scuffle they just had being the reason it was now over there. Growling at the sight, Flash zipped into a bum-rush, flying at Cold at high speed. "RAAAHHHH!!!" he yelled as Cold tried to spark his horn, only for Flash to tackle him before he could muster a spell. The sudden blow knocked Cold back, but it wasn't enough as Cold immediately hit Flash back.

Flash was pushed off the knight from the blow, only for Cold to swing another hook at the defender. Quickly blocking, Flash tried another punch as well, but Cold blocked it as he tried to do a jab. The two then both did jabs, both smacking each others' faces, only to counter with hooves to gut. Pain surged in both bodies, Flash quickly countering by socking Cold in the jaw. But as this blow hit, Cold slammed his hooves into ground as his horn started to glow, causing an ice spike to fly up into Flash's stomach. The blow propelled the pegasi into the air, his body soon falling with thud as it cracked the icy floor.

"Hmm...I actually felt that. Still, its not enough." Cold hissed as he started to pant, just now noticing his body slightly feeling exhaustion.

"Is he okay?" Fluttershy squeaked as Flash rolled over, his form trying to get up. "Oh dear..."

Rarity quivered at the sight. "Agreed darling. This battle is starting to get even more brutal than their last one."

Rainbow nodded in agreement. "Except Flash is managing to keep up with Cold. Look!" She pointed at the Frozen Wanderer, everypony now seeing a glare on the unicorn's face as he kept panting.

"Looks like Flash is finally pushing him," Lightning added.

"But is Flash gonna be able to push him any further?" Iron finished with crossed hooves.

Twilight stared down at her lover, seeing exhaustion all over his body. Her eyes shrinking at the sight, now remembering the first fight and starting to see it overlap with this one. But as she blinked at the sight, her brain clicked as memories of these past two days with Flash now telling her to do one thing: She got up and yelled, "COME ON FLASH! YOU CAN BEAT THAT JERK!!!"

The pegasus shined a small grin as he felt his energy return from his lover's cheers, his panting stopping as he kept his eyes on Cold.

As for Cold, upon hearing Twilight outcry, it made him let out a growl, "I'll admit, you've gotten stronger. I'm honestly surprised a worthless weakling criminal like you could gain this much power in such a short amount of time."

"I have you to thank for that." Flash replied as pushed himself up back onto his hooves, "You said I was weak because I didn't have a reason to be strong. But that's different now, because I found my reason."

"Which you still haven't told me about," Cold hissed, his horn starting to spark. "You finally gonna tell me, or are you just bluffing?!"

Flash did a small shrug, "Nah, I have one. I'm not a bluffer. It was just so obvious a reason that it doesn't even need to be said out loud. It's the same reason Grand became a knight, along with Skybreaker and any of the other Royal Knights." He pointed at Cold, "Even you."

Cold raised an eyebrow at this, only for both to say in unison. "To protect Equestria."

Flash nodded, "But that's where our reasons diverge." He saw Cold's head tilt at this statement, "Your reason for becoming a knight is to protect Equestria...the kingdom itself. But the rest of us, we're here to protect the true Equestria. We live to protect its ponies."

Cold's eyes started to rapidly blink, now remembering what Grand and Twilight had said before. But before he could reply, Flash continued, "Tell me, if the only way to save Equestria from being destroyed was to allow half its citizens to die, would you do it?" Cold didn't reply, his expression turning back to a blank one. He looked...insulted, which made Flash smirk, "You probably would and wouldn't lose any sleep over it, all because you think the only thing that matters is the land itself. But to me, I wouldn't bat an eye if this land was obliterated." This statement made Cold's face start to show anger, irritation on his face as Flash continued, "As long as the ponies that live here survive, that means Equestria will live on. Equestria isn't the land the ponies live on, but the ponies themselves. If this kingdom was destroyed, the ponies could just move somewhere else and that new land would be Equestria. So that's why I'll become a Royal Knight, to help protect the ponies of this kingdom from any threat that might try to to cause it harm. But it's not just that that makes me want to be a knight."

"What else?"

Flash just glanced at the stands, pointing at the ponies up there. "Them."

Cold just glared at the stands, his brow narrowing before looking back at Flash. There, he saw the pegasi closing his eyes, patting his chest with a look of reflection on his face. "For the longest time, I had nothing. I was just some street rat that barely managed to scrape by." His eyes then opened, Cold seeing a burning flame of determination ablaze inside them. "But then I met Twilight and her family. It was there that I felt love and affection for the very first time." The Sparkle family all smiled at this as he continued, "Over the years, I've met more and more ponies and become friends with so many of them. They helped me grow into the pony I am today, the pony I never knew I could be." Flash's grin grew to a massive size, "Before I met Twilight, I never truly lived. I was just...surviving. It wasn't until I met them that my life truly began." He turned to the ponies in the audience, "I went from being a street rat with no family, to having the largest family in all of Equestria."

The whole audience all smiled at this announcement. "Oh Flash..." Celestia whispered as she couldn't help but shed a tear.

While this happened, Flash turned back to Cold, looking more serious than ever. "When Grand took me on as his apprentice, he told me I had the potential to be a great protector. And what I was meant to protect was whatever I deemed worth protecting." He used his wing the point at the crowd, "Well in my eyes, the only thing worth protecting in this world are the ponies that made it a great place to live in. That's why I'll become a knight. That's why I'll fight. That's why...I'll beat you! For them...my friends!"

As soon as he said that, something sparked inside him. He closed his eyes, his mind asking the magic inside him one simple thing: Just this once, let me go all out.

"Now I'll show you..." his eyes opened, both now shining pure glowing gold. "The power I'll use..." the rest of his body began to glow. "TO PROTECT THEM ALL!" With that last outcry, the light exploded off his body, spiraling around him into a tornado of light. Everypony gasped at this, now all seeing the armor appear around his body as the tornado exploded off of him. The light flew around him until it came together into a bubble on his back, which then morphed into two overlapping light blades.

Cold just blinked at the sight. His irritation was mostly gone, instead showing a new emotion. Surprise, albeit very slightly, "I see. So you managed to gain control of the Sacred Light."

"No."

Cold raised an eyebrow, "No?"

Flash shook his head, "I haven't gained control of it. I can't. Nopony can. The Sacred Light is a living magic, and nopony has the right to control it. Instead, I can borrow the magic from the Sacred Light, but only if I intend to use it in a way it sees as fitting."

"And intending to use it to fight is...fitting?"

"No. I'm supposed to only use this power to protect." He then bent over, a huge smirk on his face, "But it's letting me use it just this once to kick...your...flank!"

"I see..." Cold put himself into a fighting stance, his horn now shining, "I must say, for the first time since meeting you, I'm intrigued. Show me."

"I will! Let's do this!" Flash yelled as he flared his wings, charging with a roar.

As this happened, Cold jumped onto his back hooves. "Cold Dragons!" He slammed them into the ground, causing a trio of serpent like dragons to shoot out of the ground.

The armored pegasus came to a stop as the three chomped down on him, only for him to flap backward, spreading his wings as he flew above the ice monsters. Looking down, he pulled the twin light swords off his back, swinging them down as he yelled, "Flash Cutter!"

With three bright flashes of light, the Cold Dragons were atomized as Flash began to swoop down. Seeing this, Cold's horn sparked, "Cold Blast Barrage!" Cold unleashed a gatling wave of magic blasts, but Flash just put his swords in front of himself, spinning them like a fan at tremendous speed. The move cut them all apart as he started to get close to the knight. "Cold Saber!" The unicorn formed a quick sword, blocking Flash's as they now found themselves inches apart from one another, only for Flash to start pushing him back. "This...strength! Where...?"

"You told me I was too weak to stand on my own. Well here's something you don't know about me. I'm never alone! My friends are always with me, even if I can't see them!" Flash leaned in, his eyes shining gold as yelled, "I know they're cheering for me, and that alone will give me the strength to overcome any opponent, INCLUDING YOU!" With that, the swords smashed through Cold's, only to vanish. Instead, Flash swung his back hooves around, striking Cold in the face.

"GAHHH!" He yelped as slid back on the ice, only to grind his hooves as he flared his horn, "Cold Force!" A tornado of ice shot out of his horn, Flash now seeing it as he was still off balance from his last attack. The attack then struck him, knocking him back. But before it could freeze him over, Flash slammed his hooves into the ground, a glow of light shining over his body as he kept his balance. That is, till he looked up and saw a charging Cold, "Cold Saber!"

"Flash Cutter!" Flash countered as twin blades appeared in his hooves, both swords now clashing. Cold then summoned a second blade, swinging both in an x formation while Flash crossed his to block. This was followed with a dance of blades, Flash countering with a right thrust and Cold blocking before a horizontal swipe of his other sword. Cold blocked both, knocking Flash's swords back before trying a thrust himself, only for Flash to quickly block it as well.

And as this exchange happened, Cold suddenly leapt back, "Cold Flock!" he yelled as a horde of frozen birds appeared around him. "Get him!"

"Oh no you don't! Don't think you're the only one with numbers on your side!" Flash yelled as he took to the air, only to seemingly multiply into an army of three dozen or so Flashs. The birds started to strike each one, only for all of them to just vanish. Down below, even Rainbow and Soarin were having a hard time telling where the real Flash was as the two armies of Flashs and birds fought, Flash constantly vanishing in the air.

It was here that the armies destroyed each other, leaving only Flash and Cold. And as this happened, the defender suddenly vanished mid-air, only to reappear in front of Cold while spinning in an attempt to slam his back hooves into Cold's head. The unicorn leaned slightly back as his horn flared, summoning a shield of ice that Flash's hooves shattered in an instant. Unfortunately, this was enough for Cold to leap back, now slamming his hooves into the frozen dirt. "Cold Pillar!"

"AUGH!" Flash moaned as a large spike of ice shot out of the ground, smashing right into his stomach and propelling him into the air. Seeing this, Cold shot a beam of magic into the spike, causing it explode. The blast hit the pegasi, making him scream as he fell to the ground with a thud. "Oof! Urgh…"

"Can't let him rest," Cold told himself before jumping onto his back hooves. "Cold Dragons!" He slammed into the ground again, this time creating ten ice serpents.

The still recovering Flash looked up and saw the icy army, his wings quickly spreading as he dodged the first dragon by taking to the air. While he did this, the second appeared and chomped at him, but Flash zipped above him and slid down the serpent's back while he looked up at the third snake coming for him. "Flash Driver!" He spun as the light swords exploded before wrapping around him, morphing him into a drill that cut through the dragon.

But as he stopped spinning, several more dragon heads leapt at him, making him flap higher as he tried to dodge each head. As he did this, he took both swords off his back and slammed them together, forming one giant light sword. "Super Flash Cutter!" He spun around as a storm of energy blades flew out, each one cutting off the heads of every serpent as everypony cheered.

Unfortunately, as he did this, two more heads grew out each of the stumps, making Flash grimace. He quickly went into evasive maneuvers as he kept dodging each chomping head.

"Flash keeps getting pushed back," Trixie commented, "He can't seem to close the gap between them."

"Those Cold Dragons are just too damn strong," Iron added with crossed hooves.

The others nodded as Lightning spoke up. "And whenever he cuts one down, Cold just makes two more from it."

"They're more like Cold Hydras," Script finished as they saw Flash land, only to jump to the side to avoid being crushed by a dragon's head.

"What now?" Scootaloo asked in worry, "Is Flash...gonna lose?"

"No," they all turned to Twilight. They expected to see a look of worry, only to see nothing but absolute confidence on her face, "Flash won't give up. After all...he knows we're here cheering for him."

It was here that Everypony remembered what he had said before turning back to the field. They saw Flash not even remotely phased at the situation, seeing him dodge each attack with ease. "Look at him," Applejack chuckled. "He's not even scared."

"Its because he knows he's not alone." Rarity added.

Celestia smiled as she thought back to the day she was reunited with her sister, when Flash had created the Element of Courage. "Flash greatest strength was never the Sacred Light. It was the strength he got from having his friends beside him. So as long as he knows we're supporting him, his power has no limit."

As if to prove her point, the dragons all came together as Flash held his hooves into the ground. The heads charged at him, but he didn't even flinch. Instead, he pulled his hoof back and as the dragon got within inches of him, he let out a mighty cry before thrusting his hoof into the center dragon. The force shattered the dragon, only for its blast to strike the rest, destroying all the icy creations.

"Such amazing strength," Heather gasped.

Skybreaker nodded, "Probably on the same level as an earth pony."

The princesses were just as amazed as Luna spoke up. "Incredible speed and strength, combined with the magical abilities he's showing....in this form, Flash is practically an alicorn."

"Its not just that." Springer commented while shaking his head, "Flash's emotions...they're nowhere near a mess. He's been calm the entire time, barely showing any anger or fear or...anything. There's not even confidence in his emotions, just...calm and focus."

"And Cold?"

Springer shivered in his seat for a second, "I'm....not sure. Last time, Cold didn't show an inch of emotion. But this time, I felt a tinge of intrigue and...anger. He's become more focused as the fight continued, but...I don't know. I still feel barely anything from him."

"I see. To think Cold would change like that." Celestia answered as she crossed his hooves, "Cold is a...unique individual. He's not somepony that...well, shows emotions." She then saw a glare from Twilight, only to shake her head at her former student, "Let's stop for now. You all need to cheer Flash on, don't you?"

"YEAH!" Springer yelled as he hopped off his seat, "GO FLASH! GO FLASH!"

Back at the battle, Flash and Cold stared one another down. Both glaring at each other, Flash summoned the light on his back into a sphere in his hooves while Cold's horn sparked. "Flash/Cold...FORCE!" The two launched their attack, both slamming into each other in an instant.

KABOOM!

The force of the combined attacks sent a shockwave across the field, pushing everypony into their seats while Flash and Cold struggled to not be blown away. And as this happened, Cold was straining to keep his balance while Flash just flared his wings, charging ahead. "Time to end this!" Flash yelled as he multiplied into almost a hundred copies of himself.

"Cold Sabers!" The unicorn created a pair of swords, only to start spinning around at high speed. The force began to form into a tornado of ice, a flurry of ice blades surrounding him as he struck all but one of the Flashes down.

However, Cold then saw Flash land back down, the light swords exploding off his back before spiraling into a orb that Flash now held in on hoof. "Ultimate Final Move!" Flash pulled the sphere back before tossing it like a buck-ball.

The sphere shot across the field, the Frozen Wanderer using his magic to fuse his two swords together into one large blade as he swung in an attempt to cut the sphere in half. But before the sword made contact, the orb's direction shifted a hundred and thirty five degrees. "What?"

He watched as the sphere fly above him, only to see Flash appear over it. Before Cold could ask what was happening, Flash curled up and started to spin, his back hoof then thrusting into the orb. The following strike caused the orb to explode, causing a light to cover Flash as he charged down at Cold with a huge grin on his face. The light began to spark off his hoof like lightning as Flash turned into what looked like an arrow of light. "SHINING IMPACT!"

Cold's brain caught up to him as his horn started to reshape his sword into a shield. He held it up as the two forces collided, Cold now feeling himself be pushed back by the force of the attack. "Please...hold." But as he said this, cracks were already appearing on his shield. And as a final crack appeared, the sound of ice shattering could be heard as his makeshift barrier was destroyed as Flash struck Cold's chest. "AAAAAUUUGGGHHHHH!" He screamed as a surge of electricity consumed his body.

"So...this is the power Flash gets from his friends," Cold whispered as he felt himself being struck, pain searing though his body, "You weren't kidding Grand." With that, the two were encased by the light before-

KABOOM!

The sphere exploded, unleashing a super bright light that almost blinded everypony. They all shielded their eyes as the stadium shook, this lasting for almost a minute before both the light and shaking began to weaken. It was here they opened their eyes, now seeing Flash land, his body panting as he touched the frozen ground. The audience turned to the other side, now seeing a downed Cold with smoke coming off his body.

"Is...is it over?" Spike asked.

"I...I think so," First replied, only to grimace as he saw Cold begin to move, slowly picking himself up.

"OH, COME ON!" Pinkie cried while Wild facehoofed.

"He can still fight, even after taking a hit like that?!"

Flash got into a fighting stance, fully ready to go without a comment. But as he did this, Flash turned to see Grand walk onto the battlefield, "Huh? Grand, what are you-"

"Hang on kiddo." Grand interrupted, his mentor now staring at Cold, "Cold, you alright?"

The unicorn, now back on his hooves, was panting as blood dripped down his forehead. He then put his hoof over his head, gasping as he started sway back and forth, "I...I can't beat you."

This statement made everypony go wide-eyed, Flash raising an eyebrow. "Wait...what?"

"I can't beat you, not in this condition. There's no point in continuing to battle. It's over...you've won."

Grand smiled before holding up his hoof, "Cold Steel has forfeited the match." He pointed to his apprentice, "So Flash Sentry is hereby declared the winner!"

Flash's eyes slowly grew wide, the light covering his body vanishing to show he was back in his normal form. "No way."

"FLASH!" He quickly turned to the voice before a bright flash of purple light burnt his eyes, something slamming into him.

"Augh!" he moaned as his eyes started to clear, now seeing one Twilight that had tackle-hugged him. And as he got back up from the sign of affection, the two saw that all their friends were beginning to surround him, each giving their own hug or hoofshake to Flash in congratulations. Discord even made a banner appear while confetti rained from the sky. And when the last one did so, they pulled away from Flash to let him see all the Royal Knights standing in a line.

He walked up to them as Grand spoke up. "Flash, you have achieved victory in this battle, but more than that, you showed the resolve and dedication needed to be a knight."

"You sure ain't no slouch," Skybreaker added.

Ruby nodded with a giggle, "Truly, the Sacred Light made the right decision in choosing you as its wielder."

Tidal shined a cheeky grin next, "You've got my heart beating with joy amigo. I look forward to standing beside you in our next battle."

"Same here. You did great Flash," Heather added.

First did a gesture of agreement, "Truer words were never spoken."

Iron smirked. "I admit, even I'd have trouble facing off against you in that form."

All eyes were then on Cold, who seemed to remain silent. His body was still beaten up, long slow pants leaving his mouth, "You've given me a lot to think about, but one thing is certain. The Royal Knights could use a weap-er...a...pony like you in their ranks."

Flash smiled as he saw Celestia, Luna and Cadance step up to him, Twilight quickly running over to join them. The princess of the sun gave a huge grin next, "Flash, not once did I ever doubt I'd be standing before you like this. I knew from the day you became Grand's apprentice that I would one day be knighting you."

"Thank you, your highness." He bowed, "I swear I'll keep Equestria safe."

"I know you will. Now...all we have to do is make it official." Celestia glanced at the rest, "Let's get to Canterlot, shall we?"


A few days later...

The main hall was again filled just like it had been during Twilight's coronation and Iron's knighting. The ponies there were residents from all over Equestria, all ranging from nobles to everyday common ponies. Shining Armor and his guard were standing to attention around the edge of the room while the Royal Knights were in front of the stage, all dressed in a blue variant of Shining's suit.

On stage, Celestia, Luna, Cadance and Twilight were standing there in their best robes, each with a ceremonial sword on a cushion next to them. At the front of the crowd, Springer, Spike, the remaining members of the mane seven, Flash and Twilight's families and even Lightning and his friends were seated on the first two rows. Discord was also there, though he had agreed to take up his pony disguise.

Behind them were many other ponies Flash had grown to call his friends. All over the hall, the many ponies were talking about the guest of honor. Each one seemed to have a story of a time they had seen him in action, most not having a bad word being said about him.

It was here that Celestia tapped the stage with her hoof, the entire hall quickly being bathed in silence before the alicorn began to talk. "We are gathered here today in celebration of a momentous occasion. The knighting of a very special pony. For years, he has served Equestria and its citizens with courage, integrity and honor, all standing up against foes that most ponies would cower before. And now, the time has come to reward him for his valor." She turned to the door. "Fillies and gentlecolts, may I present Equestria's newest Royal Knight: Flash Sentry!"

In that moment, the doors of the hall opened as the stallion of the hour stepped inside. He was dressed in the same suit as the rest of the Royal Knights, his hoof pressing on the red carpet as the many ponies all clapped for him. He couldn't help but smile, especially when he saw his friends grinning at him, but then requipped his serious face as he arrived in front of the stage. His eyes shot from side to side as he saw Grand and Cold on either side of him, then looked up at the four princesses.

"Flash Sentry, you stand before us this day to offer your unending service to Equestria and all its inhabitants." Celestia picked up her sword. "From this day, and until your dying day, do you swear to protect this kingdom from any threat it might come under?"

"I swear," Flash replied while bowing, Celestia giving her usual motherly smile before lowering her sword and tapping it onto Flash's shoulders.

She then stepped back as Luna walked up with her sword, "Flash Sentry, from this day until your dying day, do you swear to uphold the knight's code? To do no evil, and allow no evil to go unpunished?"

"I swear." Luna nodded at this before lowering her sword, tapping it onto Flash's shoulders.

Cadance was next as she presented her sword, "Flash Sentry, from this day until your dying day, do you swear to safeguard the citizens of Equestria? To protect them from danger, even at risk of your own life?"

"I swear." Cadance calmly smiled before tapping Flash's shoulders as well.

Finally, Twilight stood in front of Flash, a smile on her face as she stared at the pony she loved, "Flash Sentry, from this day until your dying day, do you swear to never abandon those in need? No matter the circumstances or the pony, from your closest friend to your most hated enemy, do you swear to stand by their side and protect them from harm?"

Flash's eyes glanced up at Twilight, the two staring in pure bliss before Flash gave his response. "I swear."

Twilight's eyes filled with tears as she lowered the royal sword and tapped his shoulders. "Arise, Sir Flash Sentry. Royal Knight of Equestria." With that, the hall exploded into applause as Flash picked himself up. He did a small sniff as he turned away from the princesses and stared at all the ponies now congratulating him.

And as the clapping came to an end, the knight did a small gulp as he spoke up, "Erm...thank you...everypony." He took a deep breath, his thoughts trying to organize themselves. "It's uh...its hard to believe I'm standing here. When I first became an apprentice, I thought I'd be knighted in a week." Everypony laughed at this, "But as the years passed, I was starting to think I'd never be knighted."

He let out a long sigh at this as he regained his focus, "I know I'm not perfect, I'll definitely admit that...but I've been on one heck of a journey since I became Grand's apprentice." His memories swam through his head as he continued, "I've been forced to see some awful things, some trying to destroy something I care about while others just tried to bring me down for fun of it. But...because of all the things I've seen, all the ponies I've met, for good or for ill, I've become better. I learned, I grew, I made mistakes and understood why I made them, and how I can stop myself from doing them again. Its thanks to that that I've became the pony I am today."

"It...hasn't been easy. A few times since I've started, I've wanted to give up." Flash's face now showed a large smile, the grin continuing to grow, "But I've met a lot of amazing ponies. Loved ones, colleagues, friends...oh, most especially my friends." He looked down at the first two rows. "My friends, you have been the most amazing of all. It's because of you that I didn't end up like the many criminals I've now vowed to fight, so...so...so thank you all!" Now everypony's smiles were the same as his as tears tried to appear in his eyes. "And so, I will fight to protect the friends I have, along with all the friends they have...and all their friends too. Because to quote a good book, 'a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.'"

With that, he ended his speech and the crowd broke out into a barrage of cheers. The rest of the Royal Knights walked up next before doing an about turn, now facing Flash as Grand spoke up. "An excellent speech Flash, which has only affirmed my choice in your title." He walked up and patted Flash's shoulder. "My boy, the strength you gain from those you care for is truly unrivaled. You understand that friendship is more important than all the magic, wealth and power in the world. And for that reason, I here by dub thee Flash Sentry...The Knight of Friendship!"

Shining took this moment to call out to the guard. "Company...SALUTE!" The guards all saluted at the Knight of Friendship, Flash nodding as they finished the maneuver. He then joined the rest of the knights as the crowd gave one final cheer, all yelling out Flash's new title over and over again.

Flash couldn't help but smile, the sound of his title sounding ever so sweet. He saw the rest of the knights smiling with the exception of Cold. From this point forth, Flash was no long a squire. He was Flash Sentry...The Knight of Friendship.


That night...

Much like at Iron's knighting, there was a party in the great hall that could rival that of the Grand Galloping Gala. But unlike the gala, this wasn't a dignified get-together. It was a full blown, off the wall, you'll sleep for a week Pinkie Pie party, and everypony was loving it. Up on stage, Vinyl Scratch was scratching the discs like no tomorrow while everypony was having a blast on the dance floor. This included Discord, Pinkie, Wild, Rainbow, Soarin, Spike, Springer and the CMC, along with several other young ponies that had been invited.

Other ponies were simply talking, all enjoying the delicious food while telling certain...stories. "And then, Flash started swinging from the light fixings until he reached the door." Donut Joe said as the ponies around him kept laughing, "Meanwhile, I got a broom in hoof, trying swat him like a fly, but he manages to dodge every time. And when he got to the door, he managed to do a little victory dance before rushing out." The laughter increased as they all imagined a young Flash doing a victory dance with a bag of donuts in his mouth.

Meanwhile, Flash and Twilight's parents were talking about Flash's colthood, mainly over him and Twilight trying to cook Velvet a mother's day breakfast. "Never in all my years had I seen the kitchen in such a mess. I was finding pancake mix in different places for a week, including behind the fridge."

They all laughed before Misty asked, "How did it taste?"

Night let out a hum as he tried to remember, "Well...the toast wasn't too bad, though it did start life as a fruit salad. That was somehow Flash's doing, even though we were so sure it was Twilight." Both he and Velvet shook before saying in unison, "And that was when we had Twilight take a week off from Princess Celestia to teach her how to cook...and we had her use Flash as her taste tester." Again, Flash's parents burst out laughing, Velvet and Night also joining in.

Meanwhile, on the very edge of the room, Cold was watching as the party go on. He had to admit, parties weren't his thing. If you had invited him to one several days ago, he probably would have gone into a big speech about how parties were just a waste of time and resources. However, his mind was elsewhere, still thinking about what Flash had said during their battle.

"Before I met Twilight, I never truly lived. I was just...surviving. It wasn't until I met them that my life truly began."

His mind just couldn't wrap around this, causing him to go to the only individual he even remotely respected: Princess Celestia. Asking her about what he said, she replied by telling him that survival and living were two different things, and that living makes memories while survival is just...being alive.

He now knew he didn't have anything like that. Cold had memories to be sure, but only specific details. If you asked him what he ate for lunch last week, he knew he wouldn't remember. He had no need for the little things, he had always been like that since...that day. Thinking about this, he looked over the party, his mind now mentally going over Flash's speech. He knew his brain wouldn't forget this, the notion making him turn away, ready to leave the castle.

"I'm not needed here." he commented to himself as he left the room and passed through the castle's garden, the animals there scurrying away in fear of the sight of him. It was here he spotted what he had hidden here earlier before Flash's knighting, his saddlebag and cloak.

And as he placed the two on his back, his eyes spiked up as heard somepony behind him speak up, "Leaving so soon?" He spun around and saw Grand staring at him.

"I've strayed from my investigation long enough. I have to get back on their trail. You know what I told you about the latest victims." Cold turned away with a low sigh, "It bothers me."

"I understand. I don't like it either." Grand replied while crossing his hooves. "Listen, I'll contact you if we learn anything new about the Sacred Light or the Corrupted Shadow."

"Celestia has already affirmed me in that. Flash's parents will be keeping her informed and she'll send the info to me. Plus..." he pulled a piece of paper out of his bag, "She managed to get me a copy of the cipher. If I come across any of this writing in my investigation, I'll be able to read it."

Grand nodded, only to add, "Hey Cold, could I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"You seemed...different in that last fight. Why?"

"What do you mean?"

"During the fight, you weren't badmouthing or insulting Flash like you did in your first battle. Care to explain? I'd hate to think he won because you weren't going all out."

Cold shook his head, "No, I was giving it everything I had. I just didn't insult him as much because I knew it wouldn't work this time. The insults were simply a way of throwing an insecure opponent off their game, but I knew that tactic wouldn't work this time."

Grand chuckled at this, "So you saw it too."

"It was before our fight. I saw no doubt or insecurities to play on. Using insults wouldn't have worked this time...even if I do think he kinda deserves it."

"Well, thanks to you, Flash has finally managed to cast off all his doubts." Grand added with a big smile, "So...thank you for helping him achieve his best."

"Whatever..." Cold growled as he turned away, "But it wasn't really one-sided. He's given me something to think about as well."

"Really?! Never thought I'd hear you say that."

"Well...he did beat me, so maybe there's some truth in what he's saying." He looked down at the ground, "Maybe there is more to this kingdom than just the kingdom itself....but I don't see it. I still think you, him and Princess Twilight are wrong...but it is getting me thinking."

"Does that mean you'll finally be open to being friends? You know, like me and Celestia have been asking for years?"

"No." Cold instantly replied, making Grand sigh.

"Seriously?!"

"Absolutely. I have no need for something that pointless." Cold turned back to Grand, his blank face showing itself, "I'll admit, I'd like to try and view the world the way your apprentice does, as it might help me see something new...but I need to figure it out how to do that first. Besides, I know my method works Grand, even if I'm intrigued by something new."

"So...you'll at least try?"

Cold didn't respond for a few minutes, only to shake his head as he turned away, "I might. I need to get going."

Grand said nothing as he watched Cold walk away, disappearing into the darkness as a smile creeped onto his face, "Flash, you did it again....well, almost. Cold is one stubborn stallion, but maybe...maybe he's finally coming around."

Once Cold was completely gone, the old pony went back to the castle, only to see a whole group of worried ponies. At the front was Twilight, panic starting to spread all over her face, "Princess? What's wrong?"

"Flash is gone." she replied, her mouth about to start biting her hoof in worry.

"He just disappeared," Rainbow added while waving her hooves. "Nopony's seen him for about an hour."

Soarin nodded in agreement, "He said he was heading to the bathroom, but he hasn't come back. And we checked all the bathrooms here, and he wasn't in any of them."

Grand hummed at this, knowing his apprentice wasn't one to avoid parties. It was here he saw Springer meditating to the side, "Springer?"

"Hang on..." the jakhowl replied before slowly opening his eyes. "Hmm....it feels like he's at...Canterlot park?"

"The park?" Everypony raised an eyebrow at this, only for Twilight to gasp.

They all turned to the alicorn as her horn sparked, "I know where he went!" she exclaimed as a flash of light consumed her, making her vanish from sight.

"I'm sure she'll have him back soon," Rarity giggled as Rainbow snickered.

"Unless they decide to have a make-out session first."

"Huh? Why would they be doing that?" Shining asked with two raised eyebrows.

"Wait...did it finally happen?" Iron added, getting several nods in return. "So it finally happened. Thank Celestia that's over."

"No kidding." Wild groaned, rolling his eyes. "You have no idea how many times we kept trying to give Flash the hints to just go to her already during guy's night!"

"Tell me about it." Cadance sighed, "I spent too many years trying to get them together."

As everypony kept complaining, Shining Armor just stood there with pure confusion on his face. His eyes twitching as his brain couldn't understand what was happening, he then yelled, "What are you all talking about?!"

Everypony turned to him, surprise on every face....except his wife. She was facehoofing as everypony replied, "Twilight and Flash."

"What about them?" Shining replied, not noticing his wife's gesture.

"Uh...they're together? You know, like a couple?" Rainbow added, the others nodding.

"THEY ARE?! WHY?!" Shining gasped, only to feel a magic tug on his ear. "Ow! Cadance! What are you-"

"Come on, you meathead. We need to talk about how ignorant you are." Cadance grumbled as she walked away, pulling her husband as everypony else stood dumbfounded.

"Oh dear...did he really not know?" Fluttershy muttered out.

"I guess it runs in the family." Iron finished, shaking his head.


As Twilight teleported to the park, she dusted off her dress from the blast of magic. "Now...where was it? I think...through here?" She took to the air, flying over a few trees while trying to not incur Rarity's wrath by damaging her dress. Soon, she found what she was looking for.

It was a large old oak tree, complete with a dilapidated treehouse on its branches. Sitting at the base of the tree was the pony she was looking for, Flash Sentry. Landing beside him, she commented, "Wow. I can't believe this place is still in one piece. I figured it would have fallen down years ago."

"Same. I've been meaning to come see it for a while...but I just didn't seem to have the time. But right now...it just seemed right."

"Makes sense. This really is where it all started for you."

Flash let out a small chuckle, "Yeah. My journey to becoming a knight started the day I brought you here. Now I'm back and became a knight and well, its almost...symbolic."

Twilight giggled at this. "Look at you, waxing poetic." She leaned her head onto his should with a huge smile, "But just because this is the end of your journey, doesn't mean you can't start a new one."

"True." He turned to her as she lifted her head, "And I'm glad you're here with me as I start it. Just like before."

The two stared at each other, only to lean in and kiss, their hearts racing as their loving embrace continued. And as the lovers pulled back, they stared into each other's eyes for what felt like a lifetime...only for Twilight to get up and say, "Alright mister knight. You can't miss out on a party that you're the guest of honor at."

Flash chuckled at this as he stood up, "Can't argue with that. But uh...could we not teleport? I'd...like to fly back with you. You know...it looks like a great night for it."

Twilight just nodded as she spread her wings. "Sure. Help me, would you?"

"For you? Of course." Flash replied as both took to the skies, sharing one last kiss before taking to the air.

And as they left, Flash spared one final glance at the treehouse that had once been his home. Seeing it, he began to live through all the adventures he had gone on since leaving it so long ago. Living with Twilight, training with Grand, moving to Ponyville and meeting his friends. Searching for the Elements and facing Nightmare Moon. Defeating Lightning, Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra, Doom, Sunset, Tirek, the Dazzlings, and Starlight. Finding his family and saving Equestria countless times. His journey to become a knight had been an amazing one, one filled with hardships and trials, but also joyous moments and incredible times.

But now, that journey had come to an end, and now...Flash was ready for a new chapter. He knew it would be filled with hardships, trials, and dangers...but also happiness, joyous moments, incredible times and...even love. He knew he wouldn't be alone, for he had the ponies he had come to love and cherish with him.

For he was Flash Sentry, The Knight of Friendship.

Comments ( 20 )

Is everthing okay? That took a long time to post.

This was a great ending. I know I metaphorically died of something, but I can't tell what I died from. :scootangel:

Also, what Flash said to Cold feels like a mashup between Infinity War and Thor: Ragnarok. Well played, sir.

You know, it's funny how you ended this story with Flash's friends cheering him on when almost two weeks ago he finally got a song about how his friends can count on him to cheer them on. :twilightsmile:

9832806 Stupid ban that wasn't my fault. I was locked out for two whole weeks.

And Banshee's back with avengences!
While I get we're to view that Cold is wrong, it still feels like his point of view is not being presented as thoroughly as it could be.
My main gripe with the fight is that Flash now needs to learn to be that powerful without the use of his Celestic gear, the Theta mode and the Sacred Light, because it took him to gain the ability to borrow it's power to win, albeit barely.

I kind of have to agree more with Cold, I could die tomorrow and my nation would still remain... just saying that the truth of two views is somewhere in the middle, a cross of the people and the institutions

But an intense fight and a fitting knighting, as well as that last bit of Flash and Twilight at the tree house... cute.

Although making Shining seem to be as dense as Twilight in the matter feels kind of out of character and saying that it must run in the family seems like a coop out, but other than that, a fitting end for this entry.

Yes! You start your return with style!

This felt like a great finale to Flash’s arc that started way back in your very first story. Now it is the start of a new one. Flash and Cold’s rematch was great, with Flash slowly gaining the upper hand despite Cold managing to push him back a few times. I also like how Flash’s speech to Cold about why his views are wrong invoked bits of Infinity War and Thor: Ragnarok.

It is great to have you back! I look forward to seeing more from you once again.

Flash's speech at the ceremony includes parts of Linkara's speech at the end of his 300th episode.

Odd choice, but I appreciate it.

Well glafe your back baby.
So here are suggestions for this week.
1. When or if Flash and Twi do get married you can have Flash Magnus give his Shield to Flash Sentry as a wedding gift.

2.A Trivial Pursuit You can have Flash stop Twilight for going over bored about a stupid game.

3.The Summer Sun Setback Flash helps out Twilight and co. With the summer sun celebration.

Hey, did administration make you rate up your stories? If I remember correctly, this one and your last two Yugioh stories among others were rated E before. :applejackunsure: I mean, I'll admit that those stories did feel horribly dark and violent for an E-rating, but maturity ratings have a tendency to be pretty arbitrary anyways, so I didn't really say anything. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

9832873 No, it was something SuperSonicHeroes suggested. He and my editor thought it was what got me banned and suggested it to me over dieviantart. I figured they had a point, though I've always considered my stories something kids should read. Just call me Don Bluth.

Hey Banshee, you sure made your comeback an explosive one with the final chapter in this story arc. Hot Dang, now that was quite the rematch against Cold! You even made me like him a bit, although he still has a lot to make up for in my books! :ajbemused:

So now our boy's finally a Knight, can't wait to see how the rest of S5 will go from here on out! :rainbowdetermined2:

Everypony turned to him, surprise on every face....except his wife. She was facehoofing as everypony replied, "Twilight and Flash."

"What about them?" Shining replied, not noticing his wife's gesture.

"Uh...they're together? You know, like a couple?" Rainbow added, the others nodding.

"THEY ARE?! WHY?!" Shining gasped, only to feel a magic tug on his ear. "Ow! Cadance! What are you-"

*facehooves* Oh Shinning you goof! :rainbowlaugh:

Finally it was very nostalgic seeing them in that old clubhouse, they both have come a very long way! :pinkiehappy:

Looking forward to your next story, keep up the awesome work! :twilightsmile:

9832873
No, that was just a friendly suggestion. During the last two weeks I talked a lot with his editor AandWguy and we were afraid maybe the ratings for his stories got him banned or something before finding out the real reason. But we still offered him the suggestion to be better safe than sorry.

9832881
Then again, it really does depend on the kid. Just because one kid can process dark, violent stuff pretty well, doesn't mean that every kid his/her age can. Just saying. :applejackunsure:

Comment posted by Kayceejr91 deleted Dec 24th, 2020

How wonderful that Flash Sentry has finally become a true knight of Equestria.

I'll be looking forward to future installments of his tenure in knighthood.

Fact: This is a comment
True Fact: FINALLY YOU HAVE RETURNED!

Comment posted by Kayceejr91 deleted Oct 27th, 2022

Wow! What a story! I'm crying...... Damn you for these tears of pride! Lol, but seriously, fantastic story bro.... I really don't think anything else needs to be said.

IN THE FLASH SENTRY CHRONICLES THERE COMES A TIME IN A YOUNG APPRENTICE LIFE WHEN THERE ABOUT TO GET TO WHAT THEY WORK THERE WHOLE LIFE FOR. BUT ONE JOURNEY ENDS ANOTHER BRGINS.

9832881
I grew up on Don Bluth movies.

This was amazing and beautiful, from the romance to the characters it was done beautifully.

I cried a little during the Storm of Love chapter because of the confession it just seemed so well done.

Thank you for creating this masterpiece of fanfiction.

Login or register to comment