• Published 13th Jun 2019
  • 628 Views, 8 Comments

Defendant - _Lunar_Sacrament_

  • ...
1
 8
 628

Glory

Under the cover of night three figures slipped into the quiet streets of sleepy Ponyville. Their mission one of justice, and to hopefully close the page on a very dark chapter.

“Well, Luna? Anything?” Twilight whispered softly.

“I believe so “ Luna pointed a hoof in the direction of some of the farmers’ fields, “That way, I sense the same void as the dream realm.”

On magic muffled hoofsteps they made their way through the soft lantern lit streets and into the dark dirt roads leading to the fields. This one was fallow and had been for some time by the looks of it. Nothing remained save for one dead withered old tree standing straight up in the very center. There was their target. For sitting under it was clearly a pony. They readied themselves for possible combat.

Twilight could feel a foreboding chill run its way up her spine, the closer they came to the pony, the worse it got. Until the fur along her entire back was standing on end. What’s wrong with me? This pony could be very dangerous but why do I feel like we should run away? Despite these warnings she pressed on with the others. Luna looked ready to apprehend the pony at any cost, and this worried her, she didn’t want even more death than had already been dealt.

The pony under the tree became clearer, they were wearing a cloak made for cold nights, the hood pulled up over their face. A horn could still clearly be seen poking its way through, however.

So it’s just a unicorn causing this?! What kind of magic did they get their hooves on? All this time she was thinking they would run into some sort of ancient being from Tartarus. Not a simple pony. But looks can deceive in more than just one way. She had to be ready to do what was needed, for justice.

The world around her suddenly, stopped. In a way she couldn’t understand at first. Her companions hoofalls had gone quiet, as had the wind, and the subtle sounds from the town. Twilight looked around her in a panic, Luna and Rainbow Dash were not moving, neither were the sparse bits of grass. The only sound was her own heart beating rapidly in her chest. She whipped her head towards the mystery pony. “What have you done?! Answer me! In the name of the Crown of Equestria!”

“I see, so you do not remember then? That’s alright. The work has already been completed Princess.” Her voice was low pitched and calm. It seemed so very familiar but she couldn’t place where she knew it.

“What work!? What are you talking about! What did you do to my memories, to my friends, to my subjects!” Her horned sparked with her vicious anger. How dare she! How dare she do this! Who does this mare think she is! For just a moment her own rage frightened her, but then perhaps it was logical, given all this vile creature had done.

“You will see in time, Princess. I promise. For now, I will go quietly, and confess to all I have done.”

And the world came back to life once more.

“Alright you! Time to answer for your crimes, you bitch!” Rainbow hovered, ready to tackle her should she try to run.

“IN THE NAME OF CROWN OF EQUESTRIA YOU SHALL ANSWER FOR YOUR CRIMES FIEND!” Luna cried in the full volume of the Canterlot Voice.

The mare did not try to run and spoke no further. She just. Nodded. And threw off her cloak, to show a body full of twisted and raw scars. They swirled about her body like a living hurricane in great whirls that must have been agonizing with every step she took. Her Cutie Mark was the most alarming thing however, it was a starburst, much like her own. Though the number of spokes where different, as was the color. While her own was a soft pink the mare’s was a bright burst of purple on her fur, with two comet like trails just behind it.

And Twilight just had to know, “What is your name?”

She smiles at her, “My name is Glory, Princess.” And it seems like this could have been a normal conversation, the kind had in the warm summer sun, while walking the White Tail wood trails.

But it was not, this pony was a murderer. This pony murdered her friend. But all her anger was gone, burned out of her like a snuffed candle. She wanted this over with, she wanted her life to move on from this terrible week.

And just like she promised Glory went quietly, with no fight at all.


Contacting Celestia was one of the hardest things she has ever had to do. Sending the message that they had caught the real culprit, that she had confessed to everything.

The look on Celestia’s face was something that will be burned into Twilight’s mind for as long as she lives. Mournful, in the most heart aching way possible on anycreature’s face. Because she knew that she had burned their once happy friendship to ashes. Twilight did not smile, she did not look Celestia in the eye. There was no happy reunion.

“May I be excused now, Princess? I would like to go home and finally sleep.”

She was given leave with the wave of a wing. All they had been through, gone with a single flutter of feathers. Her friends, at least, had been much more pleasant. They nearly suffocated her with their hugs, tears, and thankful praises to Luna. But it was the good kind of smothering, like a nice hoof stitched quilt on a fringed winter night.

Now though Twilight sat alone in her room at Friendship Castle, unable to sleep. Glory’s words echoing in her head. What work was she talking about? And why do I feel like I know her?! Did she come up to me and talk when she took my memoires? It was haunting her and trying to drive her into madness. Her deepest fear was what if the killings didn’t stop? What if Glory was just another innocent pony, sent to death by her own hoof. Another by her own hoof. No, I trust Luna not to let that happen. I might not be able to trust Celestia like I used to but I can trust Luna to do the right thing. But even still, so many questions run through her mind. What had caused such strange scars on Glory? How had she even known how to control other ponies? Such a thing should be so deeply locked away, she isn’t even sure if a Princess could get their hooves on such knowledge. Save perhaps for Celestia herself. There’s still so much she just doesn’t know. And Twilight

Needs

To

Know.


It seems Celestia still doesn’t fully trust me. Twilight sighed, again. All attempts to get in and talk to Glory before her demise failed. She was no doubt long ago departed by this point, and all her answers along with her. I might be able to get something from Luna, if Celestia wasn’t guarding her like an angry Griffon mother too! She pounds her hoof on the table in utter frustration. It felt like she was being deliberately kept aside. But why? She was INNOCENT! Not a monster, not a murderer. Damnit Celestia, I deserve some answers! She snorts, Well fine, if she won’t give me the answers I will just have to find them on my own, as usual!


No, no, no, no. NO NO NO! UGH Not one, not a single book in her entire collection had anything on Mind Magic except for small snippets warning a user away from their use entirely. That must be why Celestia was keeping her out. The books must be locked away in Canterlot. Because of course they are, and of course she doesn’t trust me to know how to read them and NOT use something so vile. She must think so horribly of me, even now. That thought made her heart fall into her stomach. The thought that Celestia would keep her from knowledge because of some misplaced paranoia. Or distrust. But, in reality hadn’t it always been their way? Twilight the ever-eager student had to wait for knowledge to be bestowed upon her, even her own ultimate destiny of being a Princess had been kept from her! Shell, she wasn’t even asked if she wanted to be one before hoof! Celestia decides it’s time and BAM, wings! No “So Twilight, how would you like to be a Princess?”, nothing! Zip! Twilight all but stomps around her library, hoping for some small nugget of information. A reference to another tome, a dictionary definition of spells, something, anything! Books come flying off the shelf almost faster than her magic can cope with, almost.

In the end the search proves futile. If she wants anything she’ll have to suck it up and demand it from Celestia herself.

“Twilight! Twilight, mail’s here! You didn’t tell me you ordered more books, don’t we have enough?” Spike come’s fluttering around the doorway, envelops and one carefully wrapped book in claw.

But to her knowledge she hadn’t ordered more books, perhaps one of her friends or even Cadence had sent her something to cheer her up. Well it’s not the book I’m looking for but maybe it will make today better. “Thank you, Spike. Did you have any other plans today? If not, could you help Starlight at the school? I’m still not really feeling up to my usual standards.”

He laughs a little, “You just wanna read your new book, but it’s okay. I’ll help her out today. Take all the time you need, Twilight. Nocreature wants to rush you into things faster than you want to go.”

As he leaves she can’t help but feel sad, it seems Spike had grown so much in just a week. But that’s just how time marches on sometimes. And she has a new book to get lost in, as she gently rips through the paper her brain freezes upon the title: Mental Magics by Magic Star .

Twilight stared in horror at the book before her, How? Who knew? I don’t know if I should even chance opening it, what if it’s been booby trapped? But a quick series of spells told her it was just a normal book, if a very illegal one for her to have right here in her library. I shouldn’t open this alone. I shouldn’t be taking this alone. But who can I call on? Luna is probably busy… Rainbow, I’ll ask Rainbow to come over. Let her know what’s going on. Yes.

She fished a small parchment from the pile of things now surrounding the library from her earlier frantic searching.

Dear Rainbow,

I need you to come meet me at the library. I have things I need to talk about. Very important things.

Twilight

She rolls it up and calls for Owlicious, “I need you to take this straight to Rainbow Dash, can you do that for me please?” The little owl gives her an affirmative hoot and takes off out of the window towards Rainbow’s cloud house.


“Sup Twi? You look like you just pulled three all-nighters!”

Rainbow touched down in the middle of the room, looking around at the chaos that was her library. Piles of books and parchment in all directions. Twilight herself was still staring at the infernal book.

She starts to pace, “Okay Dash I know this might sound crazy, but I think there’s more going on than we first thought. I just have so many questions I can’t get out of my head. That unicorn, Glory? Why did she have so many scars, and she felt so familiar to me Dash! Like I know her from somewhere! I tried to speak to her before her sentencing but Celestia wouldn’t let me! In fact, it feels like Celestia is trying to keep me out of the loop on purpose! And today this book arrives!” She grasps it with her magic and shakes it in front of Rainbow’s face. “Who could have even known I was looking for mind magic? It’s also very very illegal to have in your possession.”

Dash puts her hooves on Twilight’s shoulders and shakes her gently, “Breathe, Twilight. Yeah it does sound crazy, but so does making friends with Discord or chasing after Nightmare Moon instead of runnin away. Lots about our lives are crazy.” She waves her hoof in a dismissive gesture with a smile.

“Heh, thanks Dash. I knew I could count on you.”

“Yep, I’m awesome duh! So that book? Why’s it so illegal? Just looks like a regular old book to me.”

“This book is all about using magic on the minds of other ponies I think. I haven’t actually opened it yet. I didn’t want to be alone in case something happened. But if it is Dash, it could tell us how Glory used me to kill Spitfire.” She places the book back on the table and looks at it with uncertainty.

“Well I’m here now, and we need to know Twi. I gotta be honest I haven’t really been sleepin well since all of that happened. Look, I know I’m not the most book smart around, kay? But I know in my gut somethin doesn’t feel right Twilight. We need answers.” She moves to stand beside Twilight and look at the book with her, “If this thing can tell us how this happened we gotta try.”

Twilight nods with determination and opens the book.

Welcome to the world of Mind Magics! In this book you will find how to make the ponies around you just a little more agreeable to you.

Mind Magic Introduction

Mapping the Mind

Mind Melding

Memory Manipulation for Everyday Uses

Love or Hate the Art of Emotions

Aura Spells for Every Occasion

Reading the Mind of the Dead

Closing

They both stare at the table in shock.

“Dash, I think I need to read this book.”

“Yeah, me too. You want me to stay over?”

“Yes please.”

Twilight takes the book with her to comfy cushion and settles in to read what could be the darkest tome she has ever laid hoof on. But there’s no turning back now. She needs to know. Dash flutters over to a pillow nearby, giving her the space to read and think. She seems to be on guard, as thought they’re in danger of being jumped at any moment. They might very well be, who knows who actually sent the book after all.

Twilight takes a deep breath like Cadence taught her and begins to read.

Author's Note:

Well, I'm intrigued, how about you?

Comments ( 3 )

I wonder if Cadance did it she's already know for using mind magic despite its illegality. i also wonder if Twilight willrealizes Cadance is a witch for using mind magic to force ponies to think how she wants them too regardless of freewill and or circumstance.

If this updates again, I’ll be back for more. I’d like to see the mystery unfold.

wanna see what happens

Login or register to comment