• Published 15th Jun 2019
  • 1,209 Views, 49 Comments

One or the Other - Blind Alley



As the Crusaders cross the line into adulthood, the time comes for them to make some choices about what their relationships will become. It turns out that shared affection may be harder to overcome than any shared adversity could ever be.

  • ...
4
 49
 1,209

Chapter 8 - The Mourning After

I still couldn't believe what had happened by morning.

I don't know how Apple Bloom's relatives got a salt lick to be hard, but if it could let me kiss my best friends like that, then I wanted more. Just thinking about it made me feel all warm and tingly. Being all squished together with Apple Bloom, the way Scootaloo's hands wandered… Watching the two of them together had been almost as good as being on top of Scootaloo while she was grabbing at me. I knew for sure that I was going to be thinking about that while I was having my alone time later.

And when I sneaked out of bed there had been a moment where I didn't know which of my friends I wanted to go to. I'd just sat there on the edge of my bed, staring into the dark while images of being all tangled up with both of them danced in my mind. I had only been able to settle on Scootaloo because it seemed like she was the most into it before. Or, in other words, I was afraid Apple Bloom would reject me.

I peeked out from under my sheets when I heard a sleeping bag rustling. My bedroom was just starting to light up with the rising sunlight sneaking under the curtains, but both of my friends were already up and about. Apple Bloom's bag was empty and, since I could hear the shower going, I had a pretty good idea where she went. The sound I'd heard was Scootaloo getting up to stretch, already dressed, like she'd put on her clothes before getting out of her bag. Or like she'd never taken them off.

I propped myself up on one elbow for a better view. Scootaloo had her back to me and was doing something she'd once told me were called “standing hamstring stretches”. She had her legs crossed at the ankles, and was bending aaaall the way over. After a few seconds she stood up, switched which leg was crossed over, and then back down she went. Scootaloo always said stretching was important before working out. For me it was just fun to watch. Very fun.

All too soon Scootaloo straightened up and glanced over her shoulder. It wasn't the first time I've been caught watching but it might have been the first time I saw Scootaloo blush and lay back her ears because of it.

“I, uh, I'm gonna go stretch my wings,” she said with a shaky flap for emphasis. “I'll be back.” She darted out the door without waiting for an answer.

I slipped out of bed and followed after her. I caught up at the front door where she was struggling to undo a lock that was really meant for unicorn magic. I reached out with mine and slid the latch back.

“Uh, thanks. How is anypony supposed to…?”

“You'd have to kinda jam something in there to lever at it. It's supposed to be for unicorns.”

“Right, Rarity's place, lots of gems to steal, got it.” The two of us shared a moment of awkward silence until Scootaloo jabbed a thumb over the shoulder towards the door. “So, uh, flying. Later!”

“Scootaloo, wait.” She froze. Her hand was on the door knob but she didn't turn it. My own hands fidgeted with the hem of my nightie. “Um, about what happened last night...”

“Yeah, yeah, that was, uh, pretty crazy right?” Scootaloo said to the door.

“Um--”

She turned around, arms folded. “I mean, the three of us getting all… touchy-feely 'n stuff, right? I mean, gross, huh?”

My heart sank like stone. “Gross?”

“Guess that's why they don't let kids have adult salt licks, right? Ew.”

“I-I guess. But I was--”

“We should probably forget all about it.”

A sour ache crept up the back of my throat. “Forget…?” I rasped.

“Pretend like it never happened, you know?” Scootaloo wasn't looking at me. She looked at the walls, the ceiling, the coat rack, anything and everything but me. “You're cool with that, right? I mean, it's not like any of it meant anything. Just… three mares messing around 'cause of some crazy salt lick, right?”

I stared at her, unable to speak, something Scootaloo probably missed while counting threads in the carpet. She must have taken the silence as agreement because she turned around and threw open the door.

“Catch ya later.”

I stepped forward, reached after her, tried to say something, anything to call her back but it was too late. Her wings launched her skyward with one, powerful sweep and the force of her takeoff slammed the door shut in my face.


I ain't usually a “shower in the morning” sort of pony. Washing up in the morning before going out in the fields to get all sweaty and dirty again just don't make any sense and crawling into your clean bed all filthy from the day's work don't make much more. Better to get it done in the evening before dinner so you were clean for the table, especially if you're having guests.

But after last night, I felt a need for it. It wasn't like the “fooling around” itself made me feel dirty or nothing it just… caused things. Things that needed cleaning up. That didn't mean I'd liked it! Nothing but reflex. Didn't mean a thing. Not a single darned thing.

I was wringing the last of the water out of my tail when I heard the first crash so I just shrugged it off. Probably Scootaloo making a mess knocking over one of Rarity's things, doing some silly stunt indoors like she was still a little filly and not a grown mare who needed a lot more space before she can go flailing around. The second crash made me pause. That wasn't so unusual; what was weird was that nopony was shouting anything. If we made a mess we'd be in trouble with Rarity, Sweetie especially. She should be shouting at Scootaloo if she was knocking something over.

The third crash made me drop the towel, throw on my shirt, and yank up my underwear as fast as I could. Overalls would have to wait. I rushed headlong out the door and ran smack into Sweetie Belle.

“Whoa there! Sorry 'bout that! What's all the…”

Sweetie was in a state. She was still in her nightie, her hair and tail still mussed from bed. Tears were running down her face like there was no tomorrow and… there was this look in her eyes. Like somepony had ripped her heart out and stomped all over it. I had never seen anything like it, not on Sweetie. I reached out for her shoulder.

“Are you--?”

Sweetie pulled away. “Don't touch me!”

“Sweetie, what's gotten--”

“Go away. Get out! Get your clothes on and just-- just go away!”

There was a warning bell ringing hard and fast inside my head. Something had gone wrong here. Very wrong. There was no way in Tartarus that I was leaving Sweetie alone like this. “I ain't goin' nowhere. Not 'til you tell me what's goin' on.”

You're what's going on!” Sweetie jabbed her finger into my chest, right at my collar bone. “You and her and that-- that stupid salt lick!”

A nasty feeling tickled the back of my head. “Wha-- what d'you mean?”

For whatever reason that really set her off. “What do I MEAN!? I don't mean ANYTHING! None of it meant ANYTHING! It was all just some stupid GAME to both of you, wasn't it!?”

“Slow down!” I grabbed Sweetie's shoulders on impulse. I didn't like how worked up she was getting. Not one bit. “What're ya talking about?”

“Let go of me!”

“Sweet--”

I SAID LET GO!





It felt like I was on my back, laying on something hard and flat. Sweetie's faces were swimming around above me. Two of them. I'd been talking to Sweetie. Couldn't hear her now, though. There was just a loud ringing and something wet dripping on my face. I groaned and waved a hand to try to shoo whatever it was. Something caught hold of my hand in a vice grip.

Pain bloomed from the back of my head, growing stronger as the ringing faded and another sound rose over it. I flattened my ears down and screwed my eyes shut. Maybe if I stayed still I could fall back asleep again.

“Apple Bloom!? Apple Bloom, say something!”

“Whuuzaah…?”

Something warm and soft fell on top of me, knocking what little wind I'd caught right back out. Then I was lifted up and pulled into what could only be one of Sweetie's neck-cracking hugs.

“I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-- I don't even know what I did! Suddenly you were just-- I didn't mean to-- Please be okay!”

“Sw-Sweetie!?” I choked into a face-full of something warm and soft wrapped up in silky pink fabric.

“Apple Bloom!? Are you okay? What can I do!?”

Air!"

“Oh Celestia! Sorry!”

The hug eased up enough that I could suck in a deep breath of glorious air. Sweetie didn't let me go all the way though, still holding me up with one arm around my back, her free hand frantically brushing stray hairs out of my face.

“I didn't mean to. I swear I didn't mean to!”

I shook my head to try clearing the fog out. I was down to single vision and the dizziness was fading quick. The ache in my head was settling in for the long haul. I groaned out a simple, “What happened?”

“I think I-- I think I shot you.”

“Shot… me?”

“With my horn. I didn't even know I could-- I mean, I've never blasted anypony before.”

“Ya mean that's what a magic blast feels like? Sweet Celestia, I almost feel bad for all those bad guys the Princesses've blasted.” I cradled my throbbing head in my hands. “Ya sure it wasn't a train?”

Sweetie made a horrible noise like a sob getting strangled. I looked up and met her bloodshot eyes. If she'd looked bad before then she looked more miserable than a pig in a desert now. I shifted my weight around so I was sitting up on my own without Sweetie's support and, before Sweetie could object or do any more fussing, reeled her in for a tight hug.

“Apple Bloom, I--”

“S'all right. I don't know what's gotcha in such a mess but I'm here fer ya.” I squeezed just a little tighter. “And I ain't goin' nowhere."

Sweetie broke down right then and there. I sat with her on the floor, gently rocking her side to side, rubbing her back and letting her sob into my neck, just like Granny used to do for me when I was little. What I'd said was half a lie. I had a pretty darn good idea what had Sweetie hurting so bad, just like I had a pretty darn good idea what'd been happening after we turned out the lights. Scootaloo might've been one of my best friends but she'd just made the mistake of making my other best friend cry. I was gonna let Sweetie cry herself out and say whatever she needed to say, and then I was gonna track down that pegasus, truss her up, drag her back, and wring that apology outta her if I had to.

So help me Celestia, I was gonna fix this.