• Published 11th Aug 2012
  • 9,633 Views, 426 Comments

Pegazo Vampir Equinae - Gecko



A single crash. A simple accident. Rainbow Dash's life will never be the same again.

  • ...
43
 426
 9,633

Chapter 2

Rainbow Dash slowly awoke from the slumber she had found herself in. She looked around and found that she was in a forest. I’m probably in the Everfree forest, she deduced as she rose from the spot she had just been sleeping in. She stretched before she shot up into the air at an incredible speed, a feat completely alien to her. When she burst through the treetops, she found that the day had ended and the moon now watched over the land. It’s already night? But, how? Rainbow Dash was really confused as to how this was possible.

Silly little filly, did I not tell you before? I use magic, which is all the explanation you need.

Dash was startled at the voice she heard in her head, but she recognized it. You, you are that ghost I met, aren’t you? She could hear a laugh from the voice after she finished her thought.

Did you miss me?

No I didn’t, so could you please leave? I have things to do other than to talk with a voice inside my head, she shot back in her mind, Rainbow found it quite weird talking into her own head. It was not something somepony did on a regular basis now... was it?

Ugh, fine. But I will be back soon, with a task for you to complete.

The only thing that signaled the voice’s departure was a single beeping noise inside of Rainbow Dash’s head. Gee thanks; just don’t mention what I have to do. Even though she said later…

Rainbow started flying off towards Ponyville-- or rather, to her house. She remembered the ghost saying something about trusting Twilight; she still didn’t understand what was so special about her, but that didn’t mean she was going to show up un-showered. That would just be disgusting. Even though the smell surrounding her wasn’t so much sweat as forest smell, she decided that’s what she would call the scent.

As she landed on her cloud, Dash shook off the nightly mist she had attracted. She was not a stranger to this, so the process took her less than a second. She trotted inside her humble abode, straight into the shower.

Standing under the constant stream of water, she started talking to herself about what had happened to her.

”It can’t be all bad right? I still have my free will, at least partially… I think. Ok I’m not sure. This is not exactly the direction I wanted my life to go at the moment… I was SO close to finally entering the Wonderbolts, but that doesn’t seem possible now. IT’S NOT FAIR! WHY ME!? I didn’t ask for this stupid curse; I hate it. But, seeing as how I am now stuck with it, I guess it’s best to just try and accept it. No use in whining right? Okay, maybe except for that one time with Rarity, but that was dogs. So that doesn’t count.” She slowly turned off the water stream and stepped outside the shower. The cyan mare took a towel off the rack and dried herself off. When Rainbow finally finished, she sat down on the fluffy cloud floor and just stayed there. No movement, just sitting there, staring into nothing. This continued for the next five minutes before Rainbow pulled herself out of the trance she had found herself in.

“That was... different…” Dash said, not thinking about the fact that nopony was around. She took a long, slow blink before finally trotting outside of her bathroom. What should I do now? Oh right, Twilight. Rainbow didn’t even look around her house before she was out of the door flying off towards the tree library.

Flying over the small village, she noticed that not a lot of ponies had gone to bed yet, an observation supported by a lot of lights still turned on in most of the houses. This was not something Rainbow Dash usually noticed; maybe it had something to do with her current condition? She saw that she was closing in on the library, so she concentrated on trying to hide her new features, and as she did so, the headache returned. I will just have to deal with it. It’s not like I can’t handle it. She landed a small way away from the library. Rainbow Dash was so close to the library itself, she could almost touch it, but then a pink blur rammed right into her.

“Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash managed to say under her breath as she was grabbed by the pink menace.

“Hi Dashie, you disappeared there for a while. I was getting worried, but my Pinkie Sense didn’t pick up on anything, so I waited. Are you ok? I’m so happy I could explode, but what good would that do because then I wouldn’t be here to throw parties for ponies and then they would be sad but I don’t want them to be sad so I decided not to explode.” Before another word escaped her mouth, Dash pushed her away and gave her a clear look that said something along the lines of ‘Pinkie stop, just stop.’ Pinkie did stop and looked right at Rainbow Dash.

“Please not right now Pinkie, I have something secret to talk to Twilight about, so would you please leave for now? I promise I will see you tomorrow, ok?” Pinkie blinked and nodded very slowly, and then she made a smile only Pinkie can do.

“That’s fine; if it’s secret then you don’t have to tell me. But I already know what has happened to you. You’re a vampony now, aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash’s mouth fell agape, and she just looked at Pinkie. “Relax Dashie, it’s not like I like you any less. You are still my best friend you know. I discovered this when I read the last chapter so no need to worry about me.” She turned towards the direction of Sugarcube Corner, and made a pose. “Off towards Chapter 4!” She said and started bouncing off towards her place of residence, leaving Rainbow in the dust.

“How did she… wait, she’s Pinkie, that explains it then.” Rainbow decided this was the path that wouldn’t make her head hurt even more than it already did.

Rainbow Dash arrived at the door of the library and pounded the door. For once, she actually knocked. While not a thing the totally-awesome Rainbow Dash would normally do, this was serious business that required a genuine attitude.

She heard some voices from inside the building. Rainbow recognized them as Spike and Twilight which would make sense since they lived there, but she couldn’t quite work out what they were saying. Before long, Spike was standing in front of her inside the doorway. “It’s Rainbow Dash!” He yelled into the library. “Come on in.”

“Rainbow Dash!? What’s she doing here?” Twilight Sparkle said to nopony in particular. The unicorn looked up from her books with her reading glasses on the tip of her muzzle and looked at Rainbow. “Hello Rainbow Dash, what brings you here at this time?”

“Oh you know, the usual. No but actually I need to talk to you about something… Without Spike, if that’s ok?” Rainbow shifted uncomfortably.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Gee fine, just kick me out. No problem though, I was already planning on going to sleep.” And without further ado, the little baby dragon walked upstairs, leaving the two mares alone.

“So, you wanted to talk about something?” Twilight asked with a very curious tone to her voice.

“Well, I don’t think you will like it really, but she said I could trust you. And somehow Pinkie figured it out without me saying it.” Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“Who said you could trust me? And with what for that matter?” Twilight’s enthusiasm only seemed to rise.

“IT’S HARD, OK!?” Twilight was taken aback by the sudden outburst from the pegasus. “I’m sorry for yelling, it’s just that, this is not fun for me. And, it’s really hard not to just walk away.” Rainbow looked out one of the library’s windows.

“I promise I won’t get mad. It’s not like you are a monster or anything.” Rainbow was glad Twilight didn’t see her face at that moment because it had just turned into the color of a ghost. “I mean, you can control yourself, which automatically means you are not a monster… How did I even get on that topic? I have no idea, but enough with me. You had something to tell me?” Twilight stopped and looked right at Rainbow. The unicorn sat down on her couch and looked at the pegasus with waiting eyes. All the while Rainbow Dash was feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

“I guess it’s easier to show you, since it also removes my headache…” She looked at the ground for a moment and then up at Twilight who was still watching in anticipation. Rainbow Dash took a long and slow breath before releasing her form, showing her fangs and her sudden sleek body. Seeing this made Twilight’s eyes go wide and her jaw almost hit the floor, all the while she let out one huge gasp. Rainbow Dash stood there looking back, trying to look as unthreatening as possible. After a couple of seconds of silence, Twilight finally spoke up.

“I never expected this, though the princess did warn me. And whoever it was that told you I was trustworthy with this is right. The princess taught me well I would assume. No matter, I already know how it happened,” she said rather calmly, but there was a hint excitement in there somewhere.

“How do you know that, and how are you accepting this so easily? I don’t get it, I HATE IT! And why do you seem so excited by it!?” Twilight was taken back yet again by the anger in Dash’s voice.

“Please Dash, calm down. There’s no need to get angry here. Even though I could handle you at the moment, I don’t want to because I would have to kill you. You don’t want that, and I don’t want that. And I am excited because you are the first vampony to not be a complete monster for over two hundred years; don’t you understand what this means? I need to study-” She was interrupted.

“Let me get this straight: you say you can beat me even when I have these freakish powers? I can accept that for now, not that I want to fight you anyway. And as for you studying me, you already know there is no way that’s going to happen in a million years. I also want to know WHY are you not afraid of what I am, and why are you saying I’m no match for you even with theses powers? You haven’t seen them.” Twilight smiled, but, it was not a sinister smile. It was a simple kind smile.

“I know a lot more than you think. Have you ever heard that the vamponies are creatures of the night?” Rainbow Dash nodded. “Yeah well what is the opposite of that? The day, and who controls the sun which gives the day? Celestia. And as her personal student, it was almost unavoidable for me to become what I am.” Dash looked at her puzzled at what she had just said. “I know most of the history of the vamponies, since Celestia herself told me. And to deal with them, she created a sort of anti-vampony experiment. This experiment ended in the creation of a system. A system where a select few ponies are allowed to be trained in a specific way, which I’m not going into detail with because it would take far too long and serve no purpose. As to why I react so calmly to you is that: even if I’m trained to kill vamponies, there hasn’t been a sane vampony for two hundred years as I said before. But with that last one, we, or rather Celestia, discovered that the sane ones are actually just normal ponies turned against their will, so Celestia always warns the new recruits that if they were to meet a vampony that could talk sanely to them, we should not attack. Simple as that.” She took a big breath after the long explanation.

“When you say sane vamponies, what do you mean exactly? Are there vamponies now, for example, that are insane or something?” Rainbow asked Twilight.

“Yeah about that… the thing there is that, the intentions of Nightmare Moon, who we expect is the origin of this, were never made clear. She also created another version, much more widespread, that not only infect ponies but all sorts of creatures. I even think a tree once got the virus; how that was possible I have no idea. And these vamponies, they have no sanity in them whatsoever, unable to communicate in any way shape or form; their only instinct is to kill. At the moment, however, Celestia managed to seal them in a faraway place, but there are always those single ones that escape from time to time, and that’s why the program Celestia started is still in use. For the record, the program is called The Sentinels of the Sun, which I actually think is a pretty good name.” She stood up from the couch and walked over to the bookshelves, looking for something. “Now where is that handbook again?” She asked herself as she continued looking.

Rainbow Dash just trotted slowly towards where Twilight was looking for the book, and then she saw a small book lying on a nearby table. The title read ‘The useful Handbook on Vamponies.’ Well that’s a very un-original way to name a book. She thought to herself as she picked it up. “Is this what you are looking for?” She said to Twilight who looked up and smiled, taking the book from Rainbow using her magic.

“Perfect! Thanks Rainbow, this is exactly what I was looking for.” Twilight put the book on a table and started to read it. “This book is actually really interesting, helps with a lot of vampony related things.” She started fumbling around the pages intensely reading every word.

“You know before, when you mentioned that Nightmare Moon created the vamponies? well I know for a fact that it’s not true.” Twilight’s head immediately shot up from the book and looked straight at her with a very serious expression.

“How!?” she demanded in a surprisingly angry voice.

“You know how before I told you about somepony telling me that I could trust you?” Twilight nodded keeping her expression. “Well I don’t exactly know who she is or rather who she was. She is a ghost, never told me her name now that I think about it. She told me about dying around 3228 years ago. Oh and I have some kind of super memory… Anyway, she told me about harnessing the power of the ‘original one’ or the ‘omnipotent one’ was the words she used, I think.” Twilight’s face went into a state of shock staring into the air, with no sign of anything in them.

“The original one… 3228 years ago… The only pony we know that died that year was Clover the Clever, the apprentice of Starswirl… If the powers of the original one is in this cur… I mean condition, then there is something hidden that we have never seen. I just hope it doesn’t come to bite us later… This is a revolutionary discovery! Thank you so much Rainbow Dash. I have so much to tell the Princess in my next letter already…” She deadpanned all those sentences without a single dose of feeling, but suddenly she shot out of the spot she was standing on and grabbed a quill and paper and started writing her letter to the princess.

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to write to the Princess? I don’t really know how she would feel that one of the elements is a vampony.”

“Don’t worry Rainbow, that doesn’t matter in the least, but she did say she was feeling something coming; I guess this could be it then, nothing to worry about,” she said calmly as she continued to write the letter.

“Right, but I have to say one last thing that I don’t know if you know.” Twilight looked up from her letter and looked at Dash.

“Is it something bad?” Rainbow slowly nodded. “Well spit it out then, I already promised not to freak out.”

“Yeah about that… the spirit or ghost told me something I had to do within three months time…” Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“Within the span of three months I have to… oh Celestia!” She started tearing up as she remembered what she had to do. Twilight put a reassuring hoof around her shoulder, pulling her into a hug. “I have t-t-to turn f-five other p-p-ponies or I-I-I w-will go mad…” At this point the tears were falling down her face.

“There there Rainbow, we will find a way to fix that, it’s not your fault. I would give myself any day, but since I’m a Sentinel, well there is an obvious obstacle, we can’t be turned. But I’m sure some of our friends would throw themselves just to help you.” They finally broke the hug and Rainbow Dash wiped her face with a hood.

“I do have *hic* great friends… hehe.” She allowed herself a slight smile at the memory of her best friends.

“Now just lie on this sofa while I finish off this letter, and then I’ll look through the handbook a bit more.” Rainbow Dash complied and lay down on the couch.

Twilight finished her letter quite quickly after that, so she started trotting up towards her room. Knocking on the door slightly, from inside the room came a very sleepy voice. “What is it? I’m trying to sleep here.” Twilight trotted inside now that she knew Spike was still awake.

“Sorry Spike but there is something Celestia needs to know right away, so can you send this letter?” Spike sighed and took the letter into his claw and sent it on its merry way.

“Is it about Rainbow?” he said before tucking himself back into his bed.

“Yeah…” Twilight turned around before completely closing the door. A malicious smile filled her face as she quickly thought of what to say. It's about how she's a vampony now. And remember, their first feeding is always the most dangerous. Naturally she'll be staying here tonight so I can watch her. However, I have a few things to do downstairs tonight so she'll be sleeping in my bed. Twilight then turned off the lights and closed the door, leaving the small dragon alone in the darkened room.

Twilight picked up the handbook and started to look through it again. After looking at it for the normal information, she noticed that two pages had been glued together. She tried to pull the pages from each other using her magic, and it revealed two entirely new pages. How come I have never seen these before? What’s the page number? WHAT DO YOU MEAN PAGE S?! What kind of number is that? I am pretty sure that’s a letter. Agh, I will just have to ask the Princess sometime in the future. But seriously, page s? What the hay? She started skimming over the new page, finding some strange things. This has happened? How did I not know of this? But I do but I don’t know about her… Her thoughts were cast aside as a very big burp came from upstairs. Spike soon walked out the door with a scroll in his claw.

“Letter,” he said flatly before Twilight took it in her magic and Spike once again went to bed.

As Twilight read the letter, her eyes went as wide as possible.

“Twilight? Is something wrong?” Rainbow asked looking up from the couch.

“We have to prepare… Celestia is coming.”