• Published 11th Aug 2012
  • 9,630 Views, 426 Comments

Pegazo Vampir Equinae - Gecko



A single crash. A simple accident. Rainbow Dash's life will never be the same again.

  • ...
43
 426
 9,630

Chapter 1

As Rainbow Dash stirred from her sleep, her mind immediately reminded her of what had happened. She quickly rose to a sitting position and found herself in a bed, however her mind couldn’t quite process her surroundings since she was too busy trying to figure out what had happened. She clearly wasn’t in the forest, that much was clear, but as she tried to take in her new location, the only item of note in this particular room was the simple bed she had awoken from.

On the other side of the room, almost parallel to her own bed, was another bed exactly like hers- or at least they looked the same to her. She rose from the bed and looked around a bit more and found that there was a small window almost at the top of a wall. The last thing she noticed was the big metal door serving as the only entrance to the miserable little room, but as she stood up, the door slowly opened, showing a silhouetted figure shaped like a pony. What was stranger still was that it was levitating, not flying since the form clearly had no wings. It had a cloak of some kind, hiding the pony’s features. But what really ticked Rainbow was the fact that this particular pony was nearly transparent, almost ethereal.

The pony looked up from her rag of a cloak and stared right at the pegasus. The eyes were empty. They just looked empty, no emotion, no nothing. The ghost took away the part of the cloak hiding its head, revealing that it was in fact a unicorn. It laughed, though it was impossible to tell what kind of laugh it was. There wasn’t a single emotion in that laugh, the most neutral and empty laugh you would ever hear. It smiled.

“Ah, so you are Rainbow Dash. Before you ask, I do know a lot about you. Yes, that’s almost the point. You are probably wondering what I am; well, there is a really simple answer to that. I am the mother and I am dead, but at the same time not; I’m stuck in the middle, not yet dead but not alive. A ghost, I believe you would call it. I have been dead for a long time you see. About 3228 years to be exact, and I have stayed in this form captured in here.“ The ghost paused as if to get a reaction from the cyan mare.

“Then where are we exactly?” Rainbow Dash shot back at the ghost. It simply smiled.

“Excellent question! We are in the Everfree forest, but we cannot be reached. This place is out of reach for anypony who hasn’t received the blessing, and that, my dear, is why you are here. You activated one of my creations, a specially-made cloud that made you vulnerable to the blessing and me. But you see, since I was buried here in the Everfree, there has been no way to get anypony that flew through my clouds to actually land here willingly, so they were created in a way which made the flyer crash.” She stopped talking so that the pegasus in front of her could process the information she had just been given.

“I don’t get it.” Rainbow said flatly. “What blessing? “I don’t feel different--” Rainbow began before her hoof shot up to caress her jaw. “Okay, maybe except for the fact that some of my teeth hurt. How do I know this is not simply a dream trying to put some insane idea into my head!? Why should I believe a single word you say? It’s not like it’s impossible to get out.” The unicorn made another empty laugh, but this one seemed to border on mocking.

“Actually, it is impossible for you to get out-- without my consent that is. And this is certainly no dream. You might remember the feeling you had just before you fell?” Rainbow slowly nodded. “That feeling you experienced was you flying through one of my clouds, though I shouldn’t take all the credit; a ‘friend’ of mine helped me create them. You see, these clouds have only existed for a thousand years. And I believe you might just realize who that friend might be, considering that you are one of the Elements of Harmony.” Dash’s eyes went wide as she realized who this ghostly mare was talking about. “Yes, her, though nopony in Equestria, except me, knows that she helped me, but that is beside the point.” Her horn glowed ominously, and a mirror appeared in front of Rainbow Dash. “Take a close look at yourself. What is different about you?”

Dash looked into the mirror and the first thing she noticed was that her teeth that had hurt slightly were not normal teeth any longer. They were now fangs digging into her lip. No. she thought to herself. She was no longer a simple pegasus. She had transformed. Though not a huge amount, the differences were still there. The color of her eyes had turned into some weird mix of crimson and her normal rose. Her entire body was a lot more sleek and fit than before. How this was possible, Rainbow had no idea. She tried using her muscles and felt that they were, in fact, a lot stronger than before. Now she had to test it, but then it hit her. I’m a monster… Her face fell flat, and she hung her head low.

“Now child, no need to get disheartened. All it takes is willpower. You just have to will the appearence away and you will temporarily revert to your original look from before the blessing. And now for the hard truth. Yes, you are in fact now one of my children, a vampony! Children of the night are what we are. I am the original, the mother. I created the original blessing using power from an artifact used by the first, the omnipotent one. Using this power, I was able to create a blessing to make ponies more powerful, more special. But before I could bestow my blessing onto other ponies, I died. I died giving birth to my son. I have seen my heritage develop through the years, and it still exists. Though I may never meet my family again, I am more than happy to give ponies this blessing. Come now child, I have things I must show you.” She led Rainbow outside of the door into a large corridor seeming to go on for eternity. The walls were completely devoid of anything other than paint. The only door that could be seen was the one they just came out from. The ghost started hovering off into the hallway.

Rainbow Dash had no idea what to feel right now. She wasn’t quite sure this was real, but it all seemed so vivid, everything felt natural. Whenever Dash had realized she was in a dream, she would wake up, but she had not done so. All the while she was feeling that this might actually be happening which made her all the more scared of what she had become and who this mysterious mare was. “So tell me something: now that I’m a vampony, what are some of the good and bad things that’ll happen to me?” She was trying to take her mind away from the fact that she had turned into something else. She wasn’t Rainbow Dash anymore, she was just... something else.

“Ah yes, the perks and downfalls of my blessing,” the mare said flatly as she continued to float onwards. Rainbow followed. “You see, when I was trying to create this blessing, I tried making the benefits outclass the negatives, but I modified it to my personal liking. Some things were unmovable it seemed. The positives are, as you said, upgraded strength and agility. You know, the usual. You can see exceptionally well in dark, like any nocturnal creature. Though you don’t need any sleep, you CAN sleep if you would want to, but you’ll never need it. However you are also a bit special. You see, because you were created through a cloud and my own influence, you are an Alpha vampony.” She stopped again, not wanting to go overboard and dumping too much at the same time, but deep inside the ghost knew that she was far from over with her explanation.

“Alpha what now? There are ranks? And, just what, I don’t…” She looked down at the floor frowning. The ghost completely ignored what Rainbow just said.

“I will continue my explanation then. Let’s go over the rankings. They are as follows: Alpha-Omega, that’s me, the strongest. Omega, only the strongest vamponies are allowed in this category. Alpha, that’s what you are. Alphas are able to become Omegas, but they need extreme training for this; it’s not an easy feat. Lieutenants, these are the second lowest of the ranks but still a lot more rare than the usual grunts. You can only become this rank if the Alpha that made you a grunt in the first place gives you the ability to. An Alpha can only have five Lieutenants at any time, any more and the abilities retract. And lastly we have the lowest rank on the chain, Grunts. These are the soldiers created from any rank of the chain, but if they are transformed by a lieutenant or a grunt, they answer to the Alpha that has the responsibility of said vampony, but if an Omega transforms you, you enter the unit said Omega handles, an Omega also has the ability to create Alpha’s though only five and their soldiers all obey the Omega, if there should be a fight between an Alpha and an Omega. That’s the rankings... Why do I always ramble when I talk about this? Oh right, I live for it.” She chuckled at her own joke. She knew she loved to just ramble about everything; that was her legacy.

“Let’s get to the negatives then. You are weakened by the sun, but you still have the core of your abilities, but I would say your power is cut in half in the light of the sun. You can walk over streams. No, wait, I removed that; I don’t understand what the use would be. During the night you can be seen in mirrors but not during the day; I was unable to make it better on that front.”

“Then how-” the ghostly mare cut her off.

“Magic.” She said flatly. “Let’s continue! Now to the weirdest one: you can go into anypony’s house without permission, but if said owner requests you to leave, your body goes into some sort of automatic mode, forcing you to leave. And now for the part I know you will hate: every Alpha created through the cloud has to convert at least five other ponies in three months; otherwise, they will go into an uncontrollable rage that’s incurable. I put this in myself because if I hadn’t, no one would spread my lovely blessing.” Rainbow stopped after she heard those last sentences. She had to convert other ponies, or she would succumb to rage? This put a very sick feeling in her stomach. “Oh, and you also need blood at least once a month, but I think that was almost obvious when you heard you were a vampony, but whatever; it’s not like I care. And besides, the only thing that happens when you don’t have blood is a loss of the ability to use your newly gained abilities, as it were.” She then noticed that the rainbow mare was no longer following her so she looked back. “Come now, you would want to get out of here, am I right? And I have looked into things, so I know that at least one of your friends will understand your condition.” Rainbow looked up at her with a glare that exclaimed hate.

“Oh? And who would that be?” she shot back at the ghost. She trotted over to where the ghost was currently floating.

“Well, that’s simple, your local bookworm as you call her. Twilight Sparkle. As to why she is so understanding, well, let me just say it benefits her, in a way.” The pegasus thought she saw a smile creeping upon the ghost’s ethereal face, but she wasn’t sure.

“Twilight? And it benefits her? Oh wait, she wants to study me. OH WHAT JOY!” The sarcasm was almost dripping from her mouth at that point, but she wiped her face with a hoof, getting it off.

“Well that is one of the reasons. You will just have to wait and see.” The pegasus gave her a suspicious stare, not quite understanding what she was implying. “Oh. and if you are wondering what’s at the end of the corridor, well it’s your way out. But, if you run away from me, I won’t allow you to get there. You know, I am just as proficient with magic as the average unicorn, maybe more, so...” Rainbow gave her a glare.

“I hate listening to you, mostly because I don’t really care.” The ghost laughed; Rainbow could hear the amusement in it, but it was still so empty…

“There is one thing I forgot to mention in the benefits rant. If you tap into your memory, you can remember every single detail about almost everything.” Rainbow thought this sounded completely ridiculous, but she still tried to remember something.

As she tried to remember, there was a picture in her a head. A complete picture of the scene she was remembering. The time where she fought for Fluttershy’s honor, the day she had gained her cutie mark. Everything was clearer than she ever thought possible, every single cloud she had seen. Every detail in the surroundings, everything was completely fleshed out, not a single blind spot. The scene started to play itself. She had seen the colts harassing Fluttershy, and she went in and helped. Seeing this made her feel incredibly… nostalgic.

Rainbow Dash quickly shook herself trying not to get stuck in a trance of memory, which would be bad. She just stood in place for a while trying to understand that she had actually seen that entire scene, 100% fleshed out. It was a scary thought, but also very calming.

“From the look on your face and the fact that you have just stood there for a couple of minutes, I am going to assume you tried?” Rainbow nodded at the question. “I knew it. Oh, well now you see that you won’t forget this conversation any way you try, because when you think of it, everything will come back just as fast as you fly… and I know you fly fast. Even faster with the blessing, I assure you.” The ghostly mare laughed to herself without giving a single noise. It seems she’s more open to the idea, everything is going according to plans…

“I can see that the good things at least somewhat make up for the fact that I have to make other ponies into monsters as well. Because if I don’t, I will become crazy, but knowing my friends, they are probably going to throw themselves at the chance just to help me. But that’s my element, loyalty…” Then it hit her like a rock: nothing would ever be the same again, even if she tried to ignore it. It would always be in the background haunting her. Maybe she could use them for some fun? Rainbow then remembered that the Running of the Leaves was coming up, allowing herself a slight smile at the reaction she knew Applejack would have. At least I am getting used to the idea, though I still hate it. It can’t be all bad, right? She thought to herself trying the keep her hopes up.

“Now let’s go into more history and yes I will continue to ramble about the entire existence of vamponies. Ok maybe not the entire existence, but a lot of it. I was the only vampony for over two thousand years. The second vampony to ever come into existence, and the strongest Omega I have ever had the pleasure to meet, was the one and only Nightmare Moon. I hear that the legends often depict her as the one who created the blessing, but while it was still I who created it, the story does have some merit to it. Nightmare Moon was the one who helped me create the clouds, which she dubbed “Nocturnity Clouds.” Bad imagination I know. Nightmare’s reason for this was that she wanted all the new vamponies to remember she was the one who made it possible, and I am not going to deny her that, since it’s true.” Rainbow Dash scowled.

“Nightmare Moon has something to do with this? And she was the second vampony in existence? How can you keep making this even more tedious than how it started? It’s not like this is even useful to me.”

“That’s where you’re wrong; you see, this information can be used for a lot of things. I know your friend Twilight would at least care for what I have to say. I am saying it to you because you are the lucky one, and that’s my stance on that topic. I think I forgot something, hmm let me think.” She then zoned out completely leaving Rainbow to just stand there staring at the floating ghost mare. But seeing as how she didn’t have anything better to do at the moment, Rainbow tried to retract her fangs. She felt a tingly feeling and then felt around her mouth with one of her hooves to find that her fangs did in fact retract; there were no fangs where there had just been a pair. She felt something inside her head, a slight headache. She tried taking out her fangs again, and the headache disappeared as she did so. Great, now I have to deal with a headache every time I have to hide this new stupid condition. Then suddenly without any warning whatsoever, the ghost’s head turned and looked straight at Rainbow, smiling. “There seems to be nothing more I want to tell you at the moment, except for one thing.”

“And what’s that?” Rainbow asked curiously, because this was the last thing she had to hear before she could get out of this disturbing place.

“It’s simple really: if when I ever give you or any of your future grunts any orders and they aren’t obeyed, I will make the traitor’s life a living hell, and trust me, I won’t hesitate in the least; I don’t have any mercy for insubordination.” The smile suddenly turned evil and twisted, but the ghost turned her head forwards further into the corridor. “And if you are wondering how I can contact you and monitor your movements, well you have my magic, which practically means a better connection for me. This means telepathy. For a simpler explanation for your simple little head, I can talk straight to your head, and you may respond through thinking, simple as that. Oh look, I think we have arrived.” And surely enough, the door was finally visible at the end of the corridor.

Rainbow Dash immediately took to the air and flew straight for the door. She sped up so fast that she was almost unable to brake before hitting the door. She now found herself a single foot from the door. She opened the door and was hit by extreme amounts of light. She was overcome by the blinding, almost familiar, sobering light.

See you soon, my little Alpha.