• Published 10th Jun 2019
  • 200 Views, 0 Comments

The Journal of Rising Dawn - Professor_Rising_Dawn



Stories and Journal entries from the life of Rising Dawn

  • ...
 0
 200

10/31/1848 - The Costume

”Would you please be patient!”

Rising stood behind the tall and ornate privacy screen which sat in the corner of his room. He’d been struggling with his costume for the last 20 minutes and he could hear Jetstream getting annoyed.

“If I knew it’d take you this long just to get dressed, I’d have met you there!” He called from the other side of the screen. Jet was sitting on Rising’s plush king size bed in his own costume, looking at the divider with bored irritation. The room was lit with beautiful oil lamps on either side of the room, but it was still quite a low light.

It was cool and the two of them would be going to a party that night, maybe even to the carnival if they could gather enough friends. The sun had set a few minutes ago, and soon they’d be late.

Jet’s costume was already pristine, mostly because he was wearing his old air force uniform. With practice he could be dressed in five minutes, and look absolutely stunning. Practice does make perfect.

The same could not be said for Dawn however, whose costume had been fighting him the last twenty minutes. Jet huffed with impatience.

“Are you sure you don’t need any help?”

Dawn too sighed in ardent frustration and embarrassment and called out, “Just come help me already!”. When Jet got up off the bed with a fwump sound and came around the corner, he had to stifle a laugh.

With his new wings, Dawn was not accustomed to getting dressed, and in addition to being unfamiliar with his new limbs, he also had to thread them through the special bat wing sleeves of his special vampire costume. This, in combination with his own clumsiness and a few pre-Halloween shots, made it particularly difficult for him to get dressed.

He radiated frustration as the costume lay stuck, half on, and poking out in all directions. “Please just help me get it on...” he said with a voice that seemed almost small.

No wonder he’d been occupied so long.

Jet was no expert in costumes, but he was familiar with wings, and so with a few tugs here and there he was able to get the costume back in working order in a minute or two.

“There you go, all dressed, and handsome as always!” Jet proclaimed, standing back and admiring his handiwork.

With his costume finally on properly he sat and looked in the mirror. He had to admit that the costume was well made, a dark blue jacket went well with his coat and mane, and the layers did wonders with his figure.

Even the small gold embroidery looked well made, as it should for the amount he paid for it.

The most important parts of his costume though were the wings, an enchanted sleeve which when properly worn created a powerful illusion magic, turning his Alicorn wings, into vampire ones.

He stood and turned around, still looking in the mirror.

“Does it look alright Jet?” He asked fretting again.

Jet rolled his eyes and sighed. “Yes you look fine, now let’s go!” He said exasperated, and grabbing Rising’s wing. “We’re going to be late!”

Rising reluctantly allowed himself to be dragged from the flat to the party.