• Published 11th Jun 2019
  • 236 Views, 3 Comments

Fallout Equestria: A Lonely Road - SummerGem



A lone pony battles against the harsh wasteland.

  • ...
 3
 236

Exploration

The ruins of an old town loomed ahead. A metal gate bared my way, but after a few well-placed bucks from me it opened up. My E.F.S. filled up with red bars. I surveyed the area but saw nothing. I slowed my pace and watched for enemies.

A red single flare shot upwards. What was- three of the strange ponies charged toward me with murder in their fierce eyes. Without hesitation I activated S.A.T.S. and opened fire. Sprite followed suit. One of them fell to my rifle while the second became a pile of smoldering ash. The third pony was too close for my rifle, so I switched to the sword. I crippled its front legs with a few well-placed slashes. It shouldn't be a problem anymore. As I turned to leave, it got back up and lunged toward me. Before I could even blink, Sprite quickly killed it.

He just saved my life! "Thank you," I croaked. How did it do that? It shouldn't have been able to stand in that state let alone fight. Questions later. Right now, I needed to get out of the open. I looked around for cover and spotted another white dashite mark next to a towering building in the distance. Over the main entrance hung a large sign entrance: Military Base 17 Local Headquarters.

Well, it's better than nothing. I headed inside, grateful to escape the punishing winds. I found myself in a reception area. A faint light emanated from a nearby terminal on a large desk. Hmm, I wonder what’s on it? I doubt it would hurt to check it out. "Sprite could you watch my back while I take a look at this?" He merely responded with a few beeps and moved behind me.

This terminal had no password protection on it. All but a few of the terminal entries had been corrupted.

Entry one: An official notice to all workers. Please be aware that a week from today you will be required to have a base issued I.D. to enter any of the buildings on this base. This will be done for security reasons. Thank you for your willing cooperation.

Entry Two: Attention to all workers. It has come to our attention that many of you still lack the required I.D. While we understand your reluctance, please remember this is for your own safety.

For your own safety. I snorted and shut off the terminal. What a load of rubbish. We don't have anything like that today and we're safe. Well, as safe as one could be in this wasteland we call home.

A thorough search of the building yielded some ammo and canned food. I reluctantly exited back out into the punishing sandstorm and toward my destination.

A small building along the way caught my attention. It looks like some sort of barracks. Perhaps there’s something useful in there. It was out the way, though. I'll give it a quick check. There shouldn't be anything too dangerous there.

A stream of fire greeted me as soon as I entered. I dove off to the side but not before my coat got singed. I turned to see one of those strange ponies wielding a flamethrower. It's bad enough they can regenerate, but now they can wield weapons?

Since it was too close for my rifles, I took out the sword. Sprite was already firing at it. I spied the tanks on its back and came up with a way to end this in one strike. I jumped on an adjacent table then off it. I plunged my sword into the tank and withdrew it. "Take cover Sprite!" I yelled diving under the nearest bed.

Seconds later a massive fireball filled the entire the room. My barding protected me from the worst of it, but my legs and face were burned by the intense heat. Pain racked my body as I crawled out. Heal yourself later. Must. Make. Sure. It's dead. It was trying to get up despite it looking like charcoal. I gripped my sword and plunged it into its head. I consumed one of the healing potions and uttered a sigh of relief as my injuries healed.

"Sprite? You there?" I looked around and noticed him hovering next to me. "Good. You're all right." I should really leave, but perhaps there's something of value here. A hasty search of the footlockers revealed some ammo. Some of it even matched my rifle. "No more detours. Come on Sprite, let's get out of here."

A few minutes? Hours? Later found me at a dark tunnel. Oh, great! As if creepy ponies, sandstorms and radiation weren't enough. Now I must go through a dark tunnel filled with goddess knows what? But there's a dashite mark at the entrance, so it must be the right way.

We journeyed forward in silence that was broken occasionally by the sound of trickling water. It's kind of nice to have some relief from the near constant battle. Maybe there's nothing in here. Red bars lit up my E.F.S again. Great. Probably more of those strange ponies. I crept forward while keeping hidden.

I peered over a boulder that severed as cover. Those aren't ponies. Several hell hounds are milling about, but something is off about them. They're smaller than average and possess much larger eyes. Fortunately, they haven't spotted us yet. I could take out the three of them with some well-placed head shots. "Sprite could you-?"

ZAP! ZAP! Dang it! That foolish robot charged on ahead. I went into S.A.T.S. and targeted the heads of each one. BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Each one fell as the rounds blew their heads off. "Sprite don't go charging ahead like that again. Those things could rend you with a single blow."

No response. "Let's get out of here." We continued onward until the cavern opened. A building stood in the cavern as if it had fallen from above. Several more of the strange hell hounds roamed at its base. Well, it looks like we're fighting yet again.

***

Stab. I am sick. Stab. And tired. Stab. Of these goddess forsaken creatures! This the fifth time I've had to deal with them. Fifth! This whole cave is swarming with them. Is it to much to ask to go a few hours without fighting? Well at least the end of the tunnel is in sight. I left eager to leave this place behind.

Railroad tracks and an old station loomed in the distance. The sun is setting, so I should probably bed there for the night.

"Hello Bright."

I turned to face Sprite. "Hello Hurricane. I have some questions for you.”

“I'll answer them on one condition. They can’t be about your past.”

“Oh, I have plenty other questions. Like how did a pegasus from the Enclave end up here? Or what happened to this place and what were those creatures?"

"What makes you think I'm Enclave?"

"Don't play dumb Hurricane. I recognized those Dashite marks. Enclave is the only group that uses them. And since we're the only two sane being here and I'm not Enclave you must have left them."

"Sharp as ever Bright." He seemed almost impressed. "Your right, I'm an ex-member of the Enclave or Dashite. The story of why I voluntarily left can wait for another time. For now I'll answer your other questions about those creatures and what happened to this place.

"The strange ponies you encountered were former Enclave and NCR scouts. This place possesses ancient equestrian technology. Technology that both sides desire. They would clash frequently for control.

“The radiation and constant sandstorms transformed them. Now they’re nothing more the ghouls with their hides stripped away yet they somehow live. They have banded together for survival which makes them dangerous."

"NCR? I've never heard of them. Are they some raider group?"

"No. They're a faction that dwells far to the west with the goal of uniting this land under their banner. A foolish idea. One that will never work.

"Why? Uniting ponies under one group seems like an excellent idea to me."

"Even if they unite them, they'll never last. I've observed them first hoof. The entire organization teams with corruption. Corruption that will ultimately ruin them."

"The other creatures you encountered were caught in what created this place. It transformed them. Now they stay in the dark places of the world, and breed like rabbits. If they ever escape this place, the wasteland will slowly fall to them. But enough talk. You still have a long way to go."

"Wait, you didn't answer my question about what happened to this place.”

"I didn't. You still don't remember do you, Bright? You made this place the way it is. Goodbye."

It felt like a skyscraper had fallen on top of me. I created this place. How? How could I, a lowly prospector have done that? No, he must be lying. It’s the only explication.

To top it all off, he merely left me with unanswered questions. He really likes to string me along me, doesn't he? When we finally meet him, he better give me all the answers before I beat them out of him.

For now I need to bed down for the night, and that station seems like as good a place as any. "Come on Sprite, lets head inside." The only thing in the building was a lone desk. Hmm, cozy. It's not much, but it will do. Behind there is a good place to spend the night.

I settled behind the desk and removed all my gear. I had a few cans of cram for dinner and washed it down with some Rad Away since my radiation levels seemed a little high. A small yawn escaped my mouth. "Sprite watch the door. If anything comes in, eradicate it."

He merely beeped in affirmation and positioned himself toward the door. "Good boy. Night." I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.


Level up! Perk gained! Marked Mare: Your fierce battles against these strange creatures have familiarized you to their tactics and abilities. You now deal 15% more damage to them.