• Published 6th Jun 2019
  • 468 Views, 14 Comments

One Last Song - Phoenix Heart 27



When you lose a loved one, it sucks. When the world loses a celebrity, the mourning is so great it can be felt in the very air.

  • ...
1
 14
 468

With Love

Author's Note:

This story....I honestly have re-written and deleted in an unfortunate cycle for over 2 years now. I figured that it would be appropriate to post. The song they play is this one:

The hospital filled with the overwhelming sense of dread is the absolute LAST place Electric Rift would think to be at on a Friday night. Anxiety pouring out of him as he placed the floor of the waiting room. He didn't think such a thing could ever happen. His own sister of all ponies shouldn't be fighting for her life in a hospital.

“Rift.”, A quivering voice called sweetly.

Turning his head, Electric Rift was met with the sight of the one pair of ponies he had hoped beyond everything he’d wouldn't have to see in the hospital again. With a heavy sigh, he slowly let the pegasus stallion lead him to a set of chairs and they all sat down.

“....Rift. You have no idea how relieved we are to see you safe. You--you didn't need to tackle him though, but I sure am glad you did. We're just really glad you weren't hurt while trying to save her.”, the stallion said in an attempt to be strong sounding in this time of peril.

“Thank you, Melodious. I--I just. I wish I could have done more. I still don't know how security didn't see all that weaponry on the guy. I just did what I could. Despite all this, I was still too late. Now she's fighting for her life in there.”, Rift responded in earnest sorrow as he moved to stand back up before being gently pulled back down by a tan hoof.

“I understand you're anxious to hear how she's doing, but pacing is only gonna make you more nervous. Sit and take some breaths, sweetie.”, The mare urged gently as she held the young adult colt in her seemingly lithe and thin forehooves.

“Thanks for that ‘miss’ Tranquility. I get it...it's just--”, Electric Rift at that point, started to break a bit and cry a little.

“I know sweetheart. Oh I know. We...we just gotta pray she pulls through. Right now, that's all we can do.”, Tranquility spoke after getting him settled.

Thinking on this, Electric Rift sat back down on shaky hooves. This kind of thing shouldn't have happened. Serenity was supposed to headline the main act, then do her meet-and-greet. They were both supposed to head back to the hotel her parents were in and chill the rest of the night. He was ripped off on something being wrong once he saw the way his closest friend was standing as she signed autographs and posed for pictures. She was confident and happy, but her stance seemed off. Almost like she was wary of something. It wasn't hard to pick up on that either. As he couldn't escape that nagging feeling of something bad about to happen. All it took was one second for him to look away to talk to a security guard when the unthinkable occurred. The unmistakable sound of gun fire filled the air and the only thing, Electric could think was: she's in danger! Have to help! Without even considering his own safety, Electric Rift sprung into action. Tackling the assailant to the ground and pinning the stallion there. Security reacted a bit late and it took less than a second for the perpetrator to break free and corner himself. Electric wasn't exactly looking back behind him as he tried to get others to safety. When he heard the final blast of the gun, he flinched as he hurried himself and the small crowd of others away quicker.

Electric was broken out of his thoughts as the sight of a very familiar colt approaching him.

“Hey Rift. Any word yet on her condition?”, The dark brunette stallion with a darker goatee/mane and piercing blue eyes asked.

“No and doctors are working so hard on her. I--I’m scared Stevie.”, Rift responded in a small tone.

*sigh* I really hope they can fix her. The very thought of losing Serenity is…”, Stevie Beats said in a cracked voice. Trailing off as the threat of tears sprung into his eyes.

They two young stallions stood there talking for a bit longer before the doctor that was leading the team working on the victim approached the small group of four.

“I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Half Note. By my estimates she's not got much longer. We tried all we could medically do. At this point, I’d say it's up to her and Faust. Again, I’m incredibly sorry. If you’d like, you can go see her and state your affairs in order.”, The kind faced earthling doctor said in a grave tone before leaving the sorrowed foursome to silently enter the room.


The hospital room wasn't anything special. White walls and the scent of medical supplies (and faintly...blood) filled the otherwise sterile room. The one thing that immediately stood out to everypony there was the thin, almost still aside from the slowed breathing young mare in the hospital bed. Heart rate monitor wires and breathing tubes were hanging out of the slightly visible parts of her as she lay there motionless. Save from her shallow breaths, she almost looked like she were asleep. Her family knew better and we're in absolute shock to see the state of their daughter/”sister”/girlfriend. Four bullet wounds were counted on her. One in the head (which was thankfully wrapped almost like a headband) and three on her chest and midsection. Her forehooves lay still beside her on either side. The swell and fall of her chest, the only indicator that she was indeed alive.

“My sweet Serenity Whole Note. I can't believe this! Please. Please don't leave us. Just hang on baby. Just a little longer? Please ‘Ren’. Faust I’d give anything to have you open your eyes! To tell us you're gonna be okay.”, Stevie pleaded to the great entity to let his love live.

Electric was standing beside an now openly weeping Melodious and Tranquility as they both stood by their daughter. Serenity's left hoof in her dad's hooves. An idea struck him then and he slowly loved towards her head and knelt down to face level.

“‘Renity’, I don't know if you can hear me...this whole situation is bad right now. Even if you do pass on, at least you can leave with music. Your honestly, first love next to Faust.”, Electric Rift spoke as he once again fought back tears. Finding his phone, he began to play the instrumental to one of her favorite songs from her album. Quickly catching on, Stevie started singing some of the actual lyrics.

Perhaps it was a trick of their eyes or something more because when they all looked up, they swore they saw Serenity smile weakly.

Then the heart rate monitor flatlined. Her chest stopped moving. At the tragic age of 22 years, Serenity was dead.

Her parents went hysterical. Her mother threw herself protectively over her daughter's now lifeless body. Her father ran outside to find some help. Electric Rift and Stevie Beats clung to each other as they gently lifted Mrs. Half Note off the body as the nurses and doctors came and put the sheet over her after removing the machine pieces. One nurse, who had immediately recognized the patient when she was rushed in said a small prayer as she helped console the (slightly less) hysterical mother.

It would be months later that they would continue the legacy of their fallen angel. With the abrupt knowledge that Serenity had a few dozens of songs she had yet to release, her family continued on. Each year they would have a completely silent day on the day of her death. The pain would be a terrible trigger and to attempt to avoid this, they’d ask her fans from refraining from posting about her untimely demise on that day. Share happy memories and her music is what they would tell them. For if it was one thing Serenity loved most in this wide world of Equus, it was her music.

Comments ( 14 )

I like this... Good job.

Where'd you get the cover art?

9666516
I believe I just looked up "angel MLP" with the tag "pony" on Google images.

A little fast-paced, but still rather nicely done sad one shot. I have to say, one thing that prevented me from fully enjoying the atmosphere were the technical aspects of the story. Leaving aside some random typos and words missing here and there, the faulty punctuation in direct speech is what really caught my attention and prohibited me from directing it back to the plot. Same goes for the redundant slashes, parentheses and the one *sigh*. This is a piece of literature, not a comic strip. Such things should never appear in a story for how distracting they are. I can explain more if you wish.

9667414
I'm going to be as polite as I can right now: While I appreciate your criticism, I am in no shape to edit where edits need to be. Primarily because of my eye sight being no-so-great (hence why I have my phone rather close to my face as I type).

9667597
I apologize and I’m sorry to hear that, I understand this is a sensitive matter for you. I myself struggle with a worsening autoimmune uveitis, having to look at my phone less than ten centimetres, so I can imagine what you are going through. Also, feel free to disregard my question, but have you tried contacting someone who can edit your stories for you? I believe it would really help them shine.

9667663
I understand. Unfortunately for me, my main editor and my backup editor are both out of town (in fact, one is out of state). With this being said, I was on my own essentially. Now I'm already on a tight schedule and I wanted this story out before a specific date. That's why it feels rather rushed.

I remember seeing Grimmie's death on the news.

10951298
As do I....and it was a hard day for me.

10951347
You should write about October 1st, 2017.

It deserves recognition.

10951363
I wish I could, but I was too terrified that day. My aunt that I live with was in Las Vegas that week. When what happened happened I was frantically trying to get a hold of her or her boyfriend. I didn't know what they status was until that following Tuesday (thankfully they were fine and got home safe).

10951481
shit maybe i'll write it

Login or register to comment