• Published 18th Jun 2019
  • 2,524 Views, 62 Comments

Rise of the Shimmering Sun - Sollys



Sunset Shimmer's journey from her fall at the Fall Formal, all the way to her adventures with the Spectacular Seven.

  • ...
3
 62
 2,524

Chapter 9: Everyone Has A Story

Sunset had basically skipped to her motorcycle after Celestia dismissed her. Her back of course, felt much better, but she knew she would have to take it easy. Of course she wasn’t happy about possibly ruining her perfect attendance, but she was happy that she would be able to get to Nova’s early. As she hopped onto her motorcycle, a raspy voice played in her head.

’Open up and trust people’

Sunset shook her head and slid on her helmet. ’Maybe I could invite my friends if I ask Nova, I do need to spend more time with them.’ Her motorcycle roared as she turned on the ignition, and drove away from the highschool.


Sunset pushed open the door to her home, while she held her mobile device. She opened her messages and pressed ‘Compose New Message’, it would be the first time she messaged Nova. Her and Sunset had traded numbers when they first met, just in case Sunset got into any more trouble.

Hey Nova! It’s Sunset, would you mind if I bring a few friends along to the party?

It didn’t take long for Sunset to receive a reply from the biker. Go for it Red, any friend of yours is a friend o'mine.

Sunset smiled and closed the door behind her. She set her backpack down, and sat on the dingy sofa. With a few taps of her fingers, she sent a message to the five girls asking if they wanted to tag along to the party. Not waiting for them to text back, Sunset through her phone to the other end of the sofa, and laid her head down. She’d figured she would try to get some sleep before the party.

For a long time, she couldn’t sleep. She just stared at the small television in front of her, which she had bought from a pawn shop nearby. Sunset had come to this world with a few bits, which she tried to sell at the same pawn shop. Although she did get scammed, she was able to live off that for the first year, but soon she would resort to...other methods. Sunset would take middle-schooler’s lunch money, and occasionally take some from Micro-Chips, sometimes she wouldn’t even have to ask for it.

Sunset’s thoughts then turned to Nova. What made Nova forgive her so fast? Why would she welcome her to a second chance, when no one asked her to do so. It all seemed suspicious to Sunset, it confused her. Was Nova planning something at the party, like revenge? Sunset grew nervous thinking about it, and wanted the thought to wash away from her mind. To help clear her mind, Sunset picked up her fiery coloured electric-guitar which was one of her most valued items. She had a few hours to pass, and she wasn’t going to bale on Nova, she would have to trust her.


After at least two hours of practicing on her guitar, Sunset put the instrument away. Closing the case, she picked up her phone and checked the group chat the other girls had invited her to. Scrolling to see if anyone wanted to go to the party with Sunset, she was met with some texts.

Applejack: Sorry Sunset, Ah usually always would say, ‘yes’ to a party, but Ah got chores to do.

Rarity: Apologies Sunset, darling, I’m taking Sweetie Belle to get her hair done after school.

Fluttershy: I volunteer at the animal shelter a couple days a week, today I can’t, sorry.

Pinkie: WHAT?! SUNSET YOU ARE GOING TO A PARTY AND I CAN’T MAKE IT?! I'M SO SO SO JEALOUS!

Sunset sighed, and continued to scroll down, she was hoping at least one of her frie-

Rainbow: I can go, do you wanna meet at school and we’ll ride together?

Sunset smiled largely, she knew Rainbow loved motorcycles, and planned on trying to become a Wonderbolt. Sunset decided to keep it a surprise and not tell Dash that the Wonderbolts would be there. Sunset texted back, a large smile on her face.

Sunset: Sure thing, see you there in half an hour. :)

Setting her phone down, Sunset went to the bathroom to wash up, and prepare for one of her first parties in the human world.


Rainbow Dash pulled up in the school’s parking lot a few minutes after Sunset, and greeted her with a wave. Sunset waved back, and started her motorcycle while Rainbow Dash pulled her throttle back multiple times. Smiling under her helmet, Sunset led the way to Nova’s place.

After twenty minutes of what seemed to be racing with Rainbow Dash, Sunset parked in front of a large warehouse. Both of them took off their helmets, and looked quizzically at each other. None of them were sure if this was the right place or not.

“Are you sure we aren’t at the wrong building? I’m pretty sure this is a warehouse.” Rainbow Dash said, looking at Sunset.

Sunset handed Rainbow her phone, “Yeah I’m pretty sure, take a look.”

“Well if you say so.” Rainbow Dash said, hopping off her motorcycle, helmet in her hands. Walking towards the door of the warehouse, Dash gave a hard knock. Sunset stood by her side, waiting for someone to open up. After a few moments, no one answered, they both looked at each other, and Sunset sighed. They started to walk away from the door, when they heard it click open.

“Where do you think you two’s are goin’?” A familiar jersey accent said. Sunset turned around, and a bright smile showed on her face when she saw Nova at the door. Rainbow Dash let out a small grin, and followed Sunset back to the door.

“Thought we had the wrong place, sorry.” Sunset said giving Nova a small hug. “Oh, this right here is Rainbow Dash, another fellow biker.”

Rainbow Dash shook Nova’s hand, and both girls followed her inside the warehouse. The second they stepped inside, the dark quietness turned to loud music and flashing lights. A song Sunset knew quite well started to play, and her smile brightened even more. People started to appear in the bright lights, all of them she knew as her fellow gang members. Rainbow Dash had the same big smile on her face as the continued to follow Nova.

“Hey Sunset! Let me properly introduce you to my sister.” Nova called out over the loud music. Sunset followed Nova, and stopped. There sat all the Wonderbolts, talking with other gang members and drinking punch. Rainbow Dash’s jaw dropped in shock when she saw the Captain, Spitfire. “Hey Spits, check out the newbie I was tellin’ you bout.”

“Ah, glad to meet you properly Sunset. I’m glad you changed your ways since the last time we met,” Her raspy voice called out as she shook her hand. Looking past Sunset’s shoulder, she saw an awe-struck Rainbow Dash. “Is your friend alright?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head vigorously and put out her hand so Spitfire could shake it. “Rainbow Dash Ma’am, one of the most awesome motorcyclists around.”

“Nice to meet you Rainbow Dash, I’d like to see what you got if what you say is true.”

Sunset rolled her eyes playfully, and waved to the rest of the Wonderbolts. They all looked pretty nice, and she was glad to be able to meet them. Sunset was never obsessed with the Wonderbolts like Rainbow Dash, she would see them in magazines and what not, but never was crazy about them.

Sunset looked around, there was a few people on the ‘dance floor’, the song ‘Tipsy’ playing on the speakers. Rainbow Dash sat next to Soarin, what they were talking about was unknown to Sunset. Smiling, Sunset walked to the drinks bar, seeing alcoholic drinks Nova was picking up. Nova walked to Sunset, holding what looked like two beers in her hands. She handed one over to Sunset, who just had an incredulous look on her face.

“You know I’m underage, right?” asked Sunset, while Nova took a sip of hers, then almost spit it out. She began laughing much to Sunset’s confusion.

“Sorry, should have told you it’s non-alcoholic, they sell it at the middle-eastern store. Figured since we had younger guests I’d get these instead.” explained Nova. Sunset nodded her head after checking the ingredients, and took a sip of her own.

They stood there in awkward silence, both of them taking sips of their drinks, waiting for someone to start up a conversation. Neither of them did til’ Skyes spoke up.

“You alright Sunny?” She asked, seeing how Sunset looked as confused as before.

“Do you think we could talk about, why the heck you gave me a second chance?” Sunset blurted, Nova raising her brow.

“Well, sure, don’t see why this came up kid. Let’s go upstairs, it’s a little quieter.”

Sunset and Nova both headed up the metal stairs, into what looked like a lounge slash bedroom. Chairs and posters decorated the room, a desk with a laptop sitting on it, and couches along with beanbags on the floor. Nova took a seat on one of the couches, Sunset sitting across from her on a beanbag. Nova Skyes set her “beer” on the table, crossed her arms, and looked at Sunset.

“What’s up?” She asked nonchalantly.

“Why?”

“Why, what?” Nova asked, tilting her head.

“Why did you give me a second chance, you of all people should know how bad I was.” Sunset clarified, crossing her own arms in the process.

Nova looked down at her boots for a bit, and looked back up at Sunset. Her usual smile falling to a flat line. “Everyone deserves a second chance, that’s if there is still good in their heart.” Skyes said after a few minutes.

“How do you know I still have good in my heart?” Sunset asked, mentally face-palming.

“I-, I’m not sure.” Nova replied, hesitating. “You can just tell when someone wants to make up for their mistakes. I was there volunteering when I saw what happened.” She paused again, Sunset could see tears welling up in her eyes. “When you were at the bottom of that crater, it reminded me of someone, that I wasn’t proud of.”

Sunset processed this for a moment, and then realized what Nova was saying. “You?” said Sunset timidly, not wanting to anger or make Nova feel bad.

Nova nodded her head, “Everyone has a story kid, some people have stopped writing it, and just give up. Others, keep writing, and make it better, every chapter of the way.” Nova said, locking eye-contact with Sunset. “It’s up to you what you want to do, and when I saw you at the edge of that crater, I could tell you weren’t done writing yours.”

Sunset looked down at her own hands now, not liking the memory of her being at the edge of the crater, helpless. Nova realized she had upset her, and moved closer to Sunset and laid a hand on her shoulder. Sunset looked up at her, tears welling up in her eyes as well, and gave Nova a gentle hug., and whispered one thing to her.

“Thank you.”

Author's Note:

Sorry I haven't uploaded a chapter in so long mates, I have been writing a new crossover and I think you will love it. I don't plan on uploading it though until this is finished. Once again, sincere apologies, hope you enjoy this chapter. :twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 21 )

Awesome chapter Sollys. Worth the wait. What's the crossover going to be?

9781520
The Walking Dead, but that's all the information I'll be giving out, can't wait to release it!

Well, glad I came by and gave this a look. Liking this so far, though Sunset's pyrokinesis is worrisome. Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

9801550
Thanks, hope to have a chapter out soon!

I like the idea of Sunset retaining her fire powers after being blasted with the Rainbows.

It adds an element of temptation to her redemption story: will she use her powers for evil again? Will she be consumed by her petty anger once more?

9822719
We'll just have to wait and see.

Any news?

9957153
I'm thinking on continuing soon. Stay tuned!

10067377

I'm not sure, I kind of didn't have a plan for this story. I was a newbie writer. I may continue it after Hero From Tartarus.

10067380
.....Damn. Honestly I think this is better so far, Definitely more interesting

10067382

Hmm, see now you are going to make me considerate more...

10067387
I hope you do. I really want more.

This is such a great story! I can’t wait to see what happens next! Stories about Sunset becoming a better person are my favourite!:pinkiehappy: :heart:

:pinkiehappy: Please tell me your continuing this!!

Please continue this🥺

10727846

I probably should, I was thinking on starting to go back to all my fanfictions and finish, it's only fair to the readers.

I want to see the end too.

hope the next chapter(s) come out fairly soon, please and thank you!

Looking forward to reading more. Hope all is well with you. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment