• Published 3rd Jun 2019
  • 849 Views, 17 Comments

LunaSqueak: adventures of a Lunar Guard - Kaliann25



Pipsqueak have turned eighteen, and is ready to join the invincible Lunar Guard. The most powerful soldiers of Equestria. But being a soldier of Luna is not easy, and there would be a lot of obstacles in his way. But Pip is ready for everything.

  • ...
4
 17
 849

Between being a soldier and being a friend

Between being a soldier and being a friend

The day’s assignment was easy: patrolling the streets of Canterlot. An assignment shared both by the Solar and the Lunar Guard. It was pretty easy, just walking around the streets and stop burglars, conflicts (if there were any) and mostly, make the citizens aware of their presence.
The only problem they had was that they had to walk under the sun wearing heavy armors.

Still, something that always amused Pip was the way how the Solars moved away each time they faced a Lunar patrol.
And with the pass of time it was inevitable that Pip felt important each time he saw that happening. Not to mention he could make fun of the Princess of the Sun without being punished. His life was incredible.

But some Solars were the exception to the rule. One day where Pip’s assignment was to patrol the streets of Canterlot, his group met with a Solar patrol who didn’t move to let the Lunars pass.

Of course the Lunars didn’t mind, but suddenly, their officer in command groaned in exasperation.

“What is it, commander?” asked one of the soldiers.

“The moron of Ragnar.” explained commander Leafa form the Clan of Sylf.

“Who is Ragnar?” asked Pip. “Somepony you know?”

“Ragnar is an idiot who thinks he is stronger than anypony else because he trained with minotaurs and he can demolish a wall with his bare hooves.” explained Leafa. “And back when the Princess was freed from the moon, she named a few Solars as her provisional guards. And Ragnar had a high rank.”

Pip tilted his head in confusion. “But I thought that the provisional guards were transferred to the official Lunar Guard when Black and Lightning took over.”

Leafa sighed. “Ragnar refused to obey a couple of ponies who were younger than him. And he challenged them both for the title of captain of the Lunar Guard.”

Pip chuckled. “They defeated him, right?”

“Of course! It’s my brother and sister-in-law were talking about!” said Leafa. “But unable to accept his defeat, he challenged Princess Luna. He was defeated in seconds. But still, he couldn’t accept defeat and the Princess had no choice but expel him from the Guard.”

Pip was so invested in the story that didn’t noticed when the Solars were walking right at their side. Close enough to hear what they were talking.
But he returned to reality when the so-called Ragnar aimed his sword to Leafa.

“Well, well, well, enjoying talking about me at my back, Leafa from the clan of Sylf?”

Pip took a good look of him. He was muscular, like Pip, but he could say that he was also agile and fast. Just like him only that he was on his fifties.

“At your back you say? You were right in front of me this whole time. Is not my fault you are so slow walking.”

Ragnar pressed the tip of his sword on Leafa’s chest plate, but she didn’t mind.
Despite him being taller and buffer than Leafa, who was thin and short. Her specialty was speed and agility. She was in her early thirties but still she was as fast as she was ten years ago if not faster.

Also Pip could tell that Leafa was relaxed and in control. And Ragnar’s aura was explosive and violent, but he didn’t have Leafa’s confidence.

Then Raganr looked at Pip. “And you, aren’t you a bit too much interested in war stories?”

“Pal I was just asking. Don’t involve me into this!”

“Too late!” said Ragnar. “Would you like to fight me, kid?”

Pip shrugged. “Pass.”

“Come on kid, I bet you are dying to see if I’m actually as weak as your commander is making you believe. Maybe…”

Leafa pushed Ragnar away. “Ragnar, we’re on duty. If you keep bothering us you’ll give me no choice but throw you into a dungeon.”

The Solar lieutenant grinned. “You would love to, right?”

Leafa rolled her eyes as she dragged her sword, when a soldier came to stop Ragnar. “Lieutenant, we’re going to be late. Remember that Princess Celestia asked us to escort a few nobles.”

Ragnar nodded. “Oh, right.” Then he turned to Pipsqueak. “Saved by the bell kid. Next time let’s fight!”

The two units went to different directions when suddenly, Pip stopped. “Hey Ragnar!”

The Solar turned to Pip. “What?”

“I accept your challenge, let’s fight!”

Before he could react, Pip unsheathed his rapier and cut him on the sides. Ragnar groaned in pain, when Pip pulled his mane and smashed his head against the ground for six times until he fell unconscious.

Pip realeased Ragnar and went to join his companions.

“Good fight, Squeak.” congratulated him Leafa. “But now he’ll obsess with you. He’s not the type of person who would go something like this.”

And precisely at that moment, Ragnar went back on his hooves. “Hey, that wasn’t fair! I was not ready!”

Pip raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about? Lunar Guards don’t play fair. We play to win!”

Ragnar mumbled something between his teeth as the Lunar Patrol moved away.

After finishing their patrolling, the Lunar Guard began their combat training.
The interesting thing was that their captains and most of the officers remained undefeated. But for the rest of the guard, their win-loss rank was more or less balanced. If a soldier wanted to get to the higher ranks, they’ll have to work extra hard in order for them to ascend in their rankings.

And every day ended with the recruits going to the showers and then to the dining room

For tradition, the units that trained together had dinner together. But one day, Pip noticed somepony was missing.

“Hey, where’s Quick Storm?”

“She went to eat out with her day Unit.” explained Reality Slash.

“For real?” asked Pip.

“Our shift ends when the training finishes.” explained Acid. “You always have the option to go somewhere else to eat. But here the meal is free.”

“Didn’t you pay attention when they told us?” asked Cold. “It was back when they assigned us our rooms.”

“Shall I remind you that the captains held me to give me some useless information?” asked Pip. “Why didn’t’ they told me that instead?”

Reality Slash shrugged. “Well, now you know. As for me, I like the food here.”

“It is cheaper than eating out, and the food is really good.”

It was true. The salary of a cadet of Lunar Guard wasn’t too high, barely 500 higher than the minimum wage, but considering they didn’t have to pay for their meals or rent, it was large sum.

“So, what are you going to do tomorrow on our free day?” asked Cold.

“I’m going to have lunch with the Princess. Then, I have no idea.” said Pip.

“Hey, what if we go out to a bar or something?” suggested Acid. “We haven’t hang out since the end of the training.”

“Cool!” said Reality Slash. “My family is coming for visit tomorrow, but I am free for the night!”

“And I’ll spend my morning at the library and maybe I’ll go to a museum. But I also have the night free.”

“Okay, see you guys tomorrow night.”

At the next day, Luna and Pip entered in one of the many restaurants in Canterlot.

“Hey, I’ve been noticing that eating lunch together on my free day is getting more and more common.” said Pip when they took a sit.

Luna smiled. “Yes, but consider that this is the first time we’ve been this close Pipsy. And I like to share this moments with you. Or does it bothers you?”

Pip shook his head slowly. “Of course not, I like to hang out with you too, Luna.”

“Then, there’s no problem, or is it?” asked Luna. “Now, changing the subject, I heard that you got into some trouble with Ragnar.”

Pip laughed.

“Yeah, that guy pissed me off, and I couldn’t resist.”

“I guess so, he haves an especial talent to irritate people. But do you know he waited for you in the Solar’s training field until it closed? According to him, you two had an appointment.”

“I defeated him on the spot!” said Pip.

Luna sighed. “He will never accept defeat, Pipsy. Just promise me you’ll stay away from the Solars. For a while.”

“Fine. Luckily, we patrol in large groups.”

“Yes, stick with your partners. That’s an order!”

They brought them their lunch and after a calmed meal, they exited the restaurant happily. No matter how many years passed, they enjoyed their mutual company.

“Thanks for the meal, Luna.”

“It was my pleasure Pipsy. Also, I have tickets for the theater tonight. It is the long waited premiere of The Lord of Avengers Episode Six: The Chamber of the Shape of Water. I need you to be ready at six.”

Pip sighed. “Thanks but no thanks Luna. I have plans with my training partners.”

Luna gasped.

“What? But I thought you liked to hang out with me.”

“Yes Luna, but I made my plans with them first. Sorry, but I cannot cancel just like that. But can always go another day. See you, Luna!”

He gave Luna a kiss on the cheek, and left happily.

Luna stayed at the entrance of the restaurant, looking him leave. “Why I am so upset?”

“Because sompeony just ditched you away?” asked somepony.

“I wasn’t talking to you, subject!” said Luna.

“If you’re speaking out loud, is not only for you.”

As for Pip, he returned to the barracks with the rest of his partners.

“Hey Pip!” greeted him Acid Javelin. “How was your date?”

Pip giggled. “Pretty nice, actually. She invited me lunch, and also wanted to have a date tonight, but I said her I already had plans.”

Quick Storm raised an eyebrow. “For real? Are you dating a noble or something, Pip?”

Pip and Acid Javelin had to hold back their laugh as they exchanged a look.

“Of course! But I told her that as much as she wanted me at her side, I couldn’t let my unit down.”

“Are you sure you did the right thing?” asked Quick. “I mean, she can get mad at you… and hey, weren’t you going to have lunch with the Princess? Don’t tell you that you two had already…”

Acid and Pip began to laugh.

“Just to clarify, she’s not my marefriend.”

Acid Javelin hugged her friend. “Quickie, you’re a scammer’s dream come true!”

“Go to Tartarus! Both of you.” complained Quick Storm.

Pip shrugged. “Take it easy, we were just joking.”

“Whatever!”

When Cold Fusion and Reality Slash joined in, the group went to a bar and had fun together. Being with friends was the best.
But at certain point, Pipsqueak felt that somepony was watching him. He looked to the sky, but in the end he didn’t say anything.

From her observatory, Princess Luna put away her telescope.

“Did he just sensed me? Oh, well, I am late for my job in the Dream Realm.”

At the next day, Pip woke up with a light headache. Nothing he couldn’t handle with an aspirin. But apparently somepony had entered to the room and left him the best anti-hangover potion from Zecora Pharmaceutics at his night table.

“And you say she’s not your marefriend.” mocked Reality Slash.

“More like my mom.” sighed Pip.

A small groan called the two friends’ attention.
Cold Fusion had just woke up, and he seemed to have the mother of all hangovers.

“You better have this!” said Pip, giving him the potion. “You need it more than I am.”

Cold thanked him with a groan, and drank the potion. “Whoa! This is great! I need to buy more of these. Thank you, Squeak!”

Reality scratched his head. “Hey, why do you have a hangover? All you drank was iced tea.”

Cold Fusion robbed his forehead. “I never drink alcohol, but I got second-hoof hangover for that kiss Acid Javelin gave me.”

Both Pip and Reality had a sweat drop on the temples.

“Whaaat?”

“I never had a drop of alcohol in my life, and Acid had too much when she kissed me.”

The rest of the day was pretty normal.
Pip’s assignment was to patrol that connected Luna’s and Celestia’s castle wings. But much to his surprise, he found an old acquaintance.

“Well, well, well…” said Ragnar.

“Not so, not so, not so.” said Pip. “How are you partner, recovering from your wounds?”

Ragnar grinned. “We both know that wasn’t fair. Today we’ll settle this!”

“Ragnar!” scolded his officer in command, Claw Shots. “We are on duty. You’ll challenge this Lunar later.

Ragnar sent Pip a glance full of hate, but went back to his formation.

“I warned you.” said Leafa, who was Pip’s commander again.

“I don’t mind. Aren’t we on duty?”

“Yeah. All of you, back to the formation!”

And once again, when their patrolling shift ended, they headed to the Training Field, where Pip greeted Luna with a small nod, and went to train with the rest of the Guard.
The training went normally, when Pip noticed that one of his companions was staring at him. And when Pip looked her back, she turned away.

Weird, thought Pipsqueak. Didn’t she kissed Cold? Why is she staring at me?

Well, they’ll talk it out at dinner time.

However, there was another star that Pip noticed. Princess Luna’s.

Unfortunately for her, she was fighting with Lightning Flash at that moment and the captain of the Lunar Guard defeated her faster than usual.

“Are you okay Princess? Usually you last longer.”

“I’m not in the mood Lightning.” said Luna, angrily.

The Lightning Flash did not insisted.

Finally, the training was over and the Lunar Guard went to the showers and to have dinner.
Usually he Princess of the Night would have returned to her chambers at this point, but this time she found an excuse to stay longer saying she had to check some documents with her captains.
Truth be told, she wanted to see what would happen between Pip and Acid.

He and his group had taken a seat and were chatting happily, when Pip looked at Acid, who blushed, and hid her face behind her drink.

Quick Storm looked at Pip, and then she turned to Acid with a warm smile. “Come on Acid, talk it out now that you have the chance. You’ve been distracted the whole day.”

“Yes, we are here for you. That’s what it means to be a team.” added Cold.

Acid blushed again.

“Come on, what’s going on?” asked Reality Slahs. “You know you can trust us.”

Acid sighed. “Nothing, you see, last night I did… I did something… and I wanted to know if Pip remembers…”

Pip face-hoofed, as Reality Slash did his best to hold his laughter. As for Cold, he made a small sigh and rubbed his forehead.

Acid hid her face behind her hooves. “I’m sorry Pip, but I’ve always thought you were so handsome, and…”

From the captain’s table, Princess Luna moved her ears and glanced at the mare from the edge of her eye. And most to her surprise, she began to analyze Acid’s qualities. She was agile, strong, and mostly cute. A good party.
Luna felt… strangely worried about her. Would Pip reject her?

But then, much to her surprise, Pip giggled.

“This isn’t funny Squeak! I am serious!” said Acid.

“I know, Acid, I know, but it’s just that this is so funny. How drunk you were last night?”

“What do you mean? I still remember that I kissed you and…”

“We all make mistakes when we’re drunk, is not her fault. Don’t make fun of her!” said Quick Storm.

Pip raised a hoof apologetically. “I know, but, geez! How drunk you were for confusing me for Cold Fusion?”

Acid froze for a few seconds.

“WHAT?”

“Yep! You kissed Cold, not me.”

Cold groaned. “And I still have the headache to prove it.”

“What does he mean?” asked Quick.

“Second-hoof hangover. Don’t ask.”

Acid’s face turned redder than ever. “I’m terribly sorry, Cold. Truth is…”

The stoic stallion made her a gesture to calm down. “Easy. I’m willing to forget all this if you do the same. Deal?”

“Deal!”

Luna was still watching them from the captain’s table, but she seemed considerably relieved,
Something that didn’t went unnoticed by her two trusty warriors.

“So everything is clear, Your Majesty?” asked Black Swordsman.

“Oh? Ah, yes, yes my captains. Thank you very much.”

“Thank you, Princess.”

And the Princess walked away, strangely relieved for reasons she didn’t quite understood yet.

“Hey Luna!” called Pip.

She turned to him, with a big smile. “Pipsy! I mean… cadet Piper Squeak.”

“Don’t worry, my shift is over so you can call me Pip again.” explained the stallion. “I was just wondering if you want to go to the theater one of these nights, since yesterday I wasn’t able to join you.”

“I would love to, Pip!” said Luna.

“Then it’s a date. See you…”

Luna shrugged. “I have free tomorrow night.”

“Okay, see you tomorrow night.”

Pip said goodbye to his friend, and reunited with his group.

“What was that all about?” asked Reality Slash.

“Believe it or not, she is quite sensitive, and I wanted to cheer her up. After all, she’s my best friend.” explained Pip. “What do you expected?”

Author's Note:

Another chapter, where Luna starts to show her interest towards Pipsqueak.
Now let’s see how things go for this pair. Anyway, for those who now the main story of Chaos: the Age of Spike, you know how it’s going to end.

Read ya’ later!