• Published 2nd Jun 2019
  • 2,065 Views, 49 Comments

Shooting Star - Omegathyst



Gallus joins Twilight's School of Friendship after becoming homeless in Griffonstone due to abusive relationships. He discovers new friends, fun hobbies, new romances, and a mother in a pony he never expected. Retelling of Seasons 8-9, and onward.

  • ...
10
 49
 2,065

The Train Station

Gallus had never met a pony in his life, but he had heard of two of them coming to Griffonstone. He even heard that they helped Gilda get her current job. If they preferred that instead of stealing, they must be good creatures.

Gallus could barely sleep through the excitement pulsing through him. Any life that Ponyville would provide him had to be better than this!

When the sun had barely revealed itself over the trees, Gallus got off the cement and took flight. He reached the train station in less than five minutes, grinning and waiting next to the train tracks.

He was early; of course he was early. If somebody offered you a magical ticket outside of your current living situation, would you take your time to decide?

Gallus felt the anxiety blend within his excitement, noticing Grampa Gruff's absence for the past five minutes. Perhaps the old bird was just taking his time with his cereal...

Or maybe he fell out of his chair, and broke something. What if he found a better student than Gallus? Some creature friendlier, or less anxious? What if he was stuck here, with Sheila?

"No no no no, breathe." Gallus took deep breaths. "She can't manipulate me anymore, I'm going to a much happier place."

"Yep, so ridiculously gay that these creatures shoot cotton candy rainbows out of their asses."

Gallus looked behind him, and saw Grampa Gruff landing on the wooden platform of the train station.

"What...are cotton candy rainbows?" Gallus asked.

"Rainbows made out of cotton candy, duh." Grampa Gruff rolled his eyes. "I guess I'm supposed to give you a brief rundown of what this Friendship baloney is going to be like. Do you know what friendship is?"

"I think so." Gallus thought of Sheila, a prickle of fear poking at him. "But I think what I experienced wasn't real friendship. She was very controlling. That's not real friendship, is it?"

"Hell no." Grampa Gruff replied. "It's the gayest shit I've ever seen, they make friendship bracelets, cookies, and sing under the rainbow. I...I think, I'm mostly recounting Gilda's experience last time she went there. I suppose she didn't like it all that much."

"Oh, why's that?" Gallus asked.

"Something about being harassed by multiple ponies at a party, to the point where she had to leave." Grampa Gruff shrugged. "She seems to be on good terms with some of them now, but she doesn't plan on going back there."

"Not to mention, that pink mare told me about the time a zebra came to Ponyville! Oh goodness, the ponies would bolt into their homes!" Grampa Gruff laughed. "But this Twilight seems determined to change all this, ever since she and her friends saved Canterlot. That's what she told me, anyways."

Gallus barely heard the last thing he said, his mind racing over the fifty possible ways that Ponyville would shun him on sight. What if Twilight was the only one trying to make a change, and all the other ponies wouldn't give a shit?

"Hey, don't look so bug-eyed, alright? Twilight and her friends are the most friendly little poofballs I've ever met in my life." Grampa Gruff rubbed Gallus' head feathers. "Maybe a little too friendly, but still. They saved Equestria multiple times and shit."

Before Gallus could ask Grampa Gruff to elaborate, he saw the train arriving. The door opened, allowing a few grumpy griffons to fly out into the baked-heat of Griffonstone. Gallus felt his heart beat at the thought of leaving the heat, the emptiness, and all the griffons behind him. Hopefully for good.

Grampa Gruff and Gallus flew onto the train and sat on seats far away from each other. Gallus' heart sank a little as Grampa Gruff laid down and turned his back to him. He still had so many questions about Twilight and her friends!

What are her friends like? Were they the ones that harassed Gilda? Ran away from the zebra? How would they react to me?

It didn't help that Gallus considered himself a good-hearted creature that fell into the trap of a manipulative friend. What if Twilight was exactly like him, trying to do the right thing, but being hindered by those closest to her?

No, that can't be right. She's saved Equestria alongside them!

Gallus felt his racing mind slowing down, blinking at the seat below him. Perhaps he should be well-rested for the new life ahead of him.

Just rest, trust Grampa Gruff and Twilight. Life is going to get better for you now that she's gone. Trust me.


The nap was great, but as Gallus realized upon waking up, there was no food offered to him on the train ride. It wasn't anything he wasn't used to, but the growling in his stomach left a sour taste.

"Gruff?"

"What?" Grampa Gruff asked, getting up from his nap.

"Do you know how the food is in Ponyville?"

"Sort of." Grampa Gruff replied. "The pink mare, Pinkie, was the one to teach Gilda how to make some decent food. If Gilda's baked goods are half as good as Ponyville's, then you're in luck. You're going to find out very soon."

"What do you mean?"

"We're here, you goof."

Gallus leapt off his seat and looked at the window above his seat, exposing himself to the bright and pastel colors of Ponyville. He walked out of the train and onto the train station platform, taking in the cool air.

In the distance, he saw two fillies kicking a ball around, squealing and laughing. Gallus felt an oncoming warmth flooding into his chest as he grinned. One filly caught the ball, looking at the griffin.

"Come play with us!" the filly giggled.

Gallus didn't hesitate, jumping off the train station platform and catching the ball that was kicked towards him. He jumped, using his back paw to kick the ball into the space between the two fillies. They both took off after the ball.

"What in the hay are you doing with my daughters?!"

It was a white mare with dark green eyes and a mane the color of dark roses, slightly taller than Gallus. Gallus sat on his haunches and gulped as the mare approached him.

"They invited me to play, ma'am." Gallus frowned. "I, uh..."

"They're supposed to play with colts and fillies, not whatever kind of abomination you are! What even are you?" the mare's face was inches away from Gallus'.

"I think that's enough, Ivory Thorns."

Gallus looked behind him, and saw an elegant lavender pony with a horn and wings. She wasn't as tall as Ivory Thorns, but the earth pony shrunk back nonetheless.

"Princess T-Twilight, I don't know what this creature is! I was worried for my foals!" Ivory stammered.

"He's a griffon, so now you know." Twilight narrowed her eyes. "He's a student of mine, so you can trust him."

"But what if I don't want him around my foals?" Ivory protested.

"Cause he's not a pony?"

"Not necessarily, he's got such sharp talons and b-beak..."

"And we have such rough hooves, and powerful magic." Twilight retorted. "There'll be more creatures coming here to attend my school, and I expect you and everypony else to treat them with the utmost respect. Understood?"

"Y-Yes, Princess Twilight." Ivory looked at the ground. "Candy! Pebble! Playtime is over, come back here!"

"Yes Mommy!" they shouted in unison, tumbling towards their mother with the ball. Ivory kicked the ball in the direction of their house, and the family of three left.

"Sorry about that, they moved here recently, so they don't know about all the different creatures that come to Ponyville." Twilight grinned. "So you must be the representative of Griffons for my School of Friendship!"

"Yep, that's me." Gallus looked at the train, watching Grampa Gruff slowly walk off the train station platform.

"I'm so excited!" Twilight sat on her haunches, clapping her hooves. "You'll be learning about Honesty, Generosity, Loyalty, Laughter, Kindness, and Magic!"

"Did you say there were other creatures?" Gallus asked.

"Yup!" Twilight chirped. "Yaks, hippogriffs, changelings, dragons, and lots of ponies! It'll be sure to change your perspective!"

"See what I told ya, these ponies are gay." Grampa Gruff laughed, roughly placing a claw on Gallus' shoulder.

"I think you mean ta say happy, using gay in that context is a little old-fashioned, don't ya think?"

Gallus looked over Twilight's shoulder, spotting the speaker as an orange earth pony with a brown stetson hat.

"Ah yes, the biggest lesbian of them all. How's shagging your unicorn friend going?" Grampa Gruff mocked the orange mare.

"We talked about this, Grampa Gruff. None of your rude remarks will be tolerated around me, my friends, or my school." Twilight stomped her hoof.

"Fine, geez!" Grampa Gruff snapped. "I'll keep my mouth shut."

Gay? Lesbian? No one ever told Gallus what that even meant, he felt like he might've heard his birth father sneer the latter at a pair of griffons once. Gallus wanted to ask, but he felt embarrassed to do so in front of all these ponies.

"What's wrong, Gallus?" Twilight asked.

"Um, it's nothing. Just Grampa Gruff being an asshole, that's all." Gallus lied. Grampa Gruff glared at Gallus before looking away.

"My name's Applejack." the orange mare approached Gallus, sticking her hoof out. "Element of Honesty, dear friend of Twilight Sparkle here, nice to meet ya."

What is shagging, and how does Grampa Gruff know that Applejack is doing it with her unicorn friend?

"Oh, u-uh, nice to meet you too!" Gallus grabbed Applejack's hoof and shook it briefly. "Where are the other Elements?"

"Back at the School of Friendship, talking to the other creatures and their guardians. You're the last to arrive, new bird." Applejack grinned.

"Come with us, we're about to open the doors of the School of Friendship!" Twilight beamed. "Everypony, I mean, creature, is waiting!"

Gallus felt his heart pounding as he followed the two mares galloping towards the beautiful purple building surrounded by water from the waterfalls. Surrounding the door was dozens of ponies mixed in with several other creatures. Gallus' new life was within reach, awaiting adventures and discoveries that even the blue griffon could not fully comprehend.

It was about to begin.