• Published 26th May 2019
  • 4,676 Views, 34 Comments

In Search Of... - rattled404



When you were growing up as the only human in the Equestria you knew you were different. With your canine fangs and being an omnivore, you gave up on having friends. Until one alicorn change it all.

  • ...
6
 34
 4,676

Chapter 4: Anon and The Dimly Lit Candle

Walking along with Cadance the morning air was chilly, and you could see the leaves slowly changing to amber. It wasn’t fall yet, but you saw the beginning of it. You yawn again, eyes more leadened and body feeling even more sluggish. Cadance on the other hoof seemed chipper well once the topic of breakfast came up.

“Where are you going?”

Cadance turned around, with an expression of innocence. “To the cafeteria to get breakfast, where else would I go Anon?”

Usually, you would eat there. As you gained more responsibilities (and took on more voluntarily) the chance to eat with your mother diminished. Getting food in the cafeteria was quick as well when the dining room took hours. You wish for the days when you ate with your mother, but you weren’t a colt anymore.

“Now that you’re a royal you can’t eat there.”

“Why not, don’t you do it?”

“That’s where the staff eat. You’re new here so other ponies won’t know how to act around you. It generally bothers them.”

“Oh.” There was a dejected look on her face.

The feeling of being a jackass wasn’t lost on you. The guilt gnawed but never pierced your composure.

“Once they get used to you it’s fine. For now, it’s best to act royal.”

“Well, since I’m with you wouldn’t other ponies be calm with your presence? That and how am I supposed to introduce myself if I can’t at all?”

She does have a point. No time like the present, that and you have too many tasks to deal with to argue with her. Sooner you put caffeine in your body the better. A bad habit? Yes. Coffee was like cake to your mother, an addiction that you refuse to admit.

“Why not…”

Inside the cafeteria the early morning crew were somewhat startled from the beginning. It was either their fatigue or their acclimation of royals they were quickly used to it. Cadance got herself oatmeal with cinnamon toppings with some juice. If you replaced the orange juice with apple this was the same breakfast you had as a child. It felt like yesterday when you and your mother shared the table in the morning. Looking back she probably did it despite her list of duties. You noticed Cadance looking at your mug of coffee.

“Is that all you’re going to have?”

“I have this apple. It’s better than nothing, I’ll be fine.”

You keep forgetting to find out where these apples came from, wherever it was you needed to make some award to give them. Though you do wish the size could be a bit bigger, it only took about three or two bites to finish it all with your mouth. As you finish chomping on the last bits you notice Cadance staring at you, eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar. You bite into the apple again.

“Cadance?”

“Oh!” Cadance was out of her apparent trance. “I uhm… I was just wondering if it must be hard going around the castle with your height.”

“You get used to it after you get a bruise on your forehead.”

You chuckled, but seriously you wished all the doors were taller. If you don’t pay attention you would have a bruise that’d last a week or two. While Cadance was finishing her breakfast you flipped through the checklist of things needed to be done. Most were settling disputes of internal matters. Settle the budget matter in the Branch meeting, public safety of a forest known as Everfree Forest, judiciary matters, and most likely where to start the road construction. Sweet Hearth Warming, this was a lot of work.

“You might want to finish that up, we got work to do. We need to settle the dispute between the Ministry of Finance and the Army today. So you might not want to be on a full stomach.”

Cadance cocked her head in confusion. “Why not?”

“Being on full stomach makes you sleepier.” You answered, sipping on the triple espresso. Sweet Hearth Warming, it tasted awful. “Trust me, these meetings will bore you to sleep. Are you sure you’ll be ready?”

Cadance smiled. “Always.”


Be Cadance.

And you weren’t ready. Not because it was some daunting task, or something so absurd, or even frightening. It was boring. Really bucking boring. The kind of boring where you’d prefer to watch the grass grow. In the thick of it Anonymous was there, trying to compromise between the two ponies. It was boring, but also lethal. A poison that creeps up with you, where it strikes before you even know it. This wasn’t some thrilling adventure that had Equestrria hang in the balance. Yet, this meeting held the same level of significance.

“Domestic matters take more precedence, General. The likelihood of war is almost non-existent and magical threats have not been seen since the defeat of Discord. There is such a thing as over prepared.”

“With all due respect Minister, I disagree. A kingdom at its most peaceful opens up vulnerability. Lest I remind you of the past. Let us also not forget the changelings.”

“The past is the past. We are looking at the future of our kingdom.” Minister Stock said.

“Those who do not heed the tragedies of the past are doomed to repeat it, Minister.” The General replied, with a sharp glare of a pony that have seen countless battlefield.

The tension in the air was thick, stifling to those who were merely brought along to carry papers. You pitied the poor ponies. The ponies in the seat however didn’t seem bothered by it, they looked tired of it more than anything. As the quiet battle of words went on it all ended as Anonymous clapped his hand three times. A sound that easily overtook hoof stomping.

“General Ironhoof, Minister Stock, I believe that is enough for now.” Anonymous inputted. “While I do see the decrease in Army funding from the past years to be troubling. From Ms. Diplomat’s report from the Ministry of Foreign Kingdom Affairs, there has been no foreign hostility for the past years or any upheavals. I can understand that at its most peaceful we are vulnerable, General Ironhoof. However, it is also the kingdom's duty to govern the ponies that allowed us to operate from their tax.”

“Then, Prince Anonymous. If you can understand, will it not be a better investment to increase the budget for the future? Our forces must be ready at all times.” Ironhoof questioned.

“The experimental forces were already prepared in the previous rapid deployment test from previous reports and that was possible from an increase of funds from last year. The fund will allocate to domestic matters. As requested by Minister Stock the Army will have twelve percent decrease as of the next financial year. As for the issue of-”

The timer rang, interrupting his next words until it was turned off. The ponies yawned and the tension in the air finally loosened. Anonymous on the other hoof began to neatly organize the parchment into his folders.

“As for the issue of the budget, the Ministry of Magic will be addressed tomorrow. This meeting is adjourned.”

It was finally over. You stretch once everyone left, and Anon was massaging his eyes. You on the other hoof are about to drop. Then Anon stands up, stretches then leaves the room, prompting you to follow him.

“You alright?”

“Yes, I just didn’t expect to be- you know...” You raise your hoof as you tried to find a way to not sound like a silly foal.

“Boring?”

“Boring.”

You and Anon share a short laugh, then attend the next set of business. By the end, the monotony sapped away your energy. While you dragged your hoof Anon was in his office, looking over a new set of parchments to be processed. No po- maybe his species was just hardy or Anon was just a workaholic. Maybe both. Princess Celestia was also like that.

“So what’s next?”

Anon looked through his clipboard. “Let’s see… some judiciary matters and road constructions. Yeah that’s about it today. I think we can rest by the late evening!”

“B-by the late evening? But we only have two more things to do.”

“Well, those are what it needs to be done today. This list excludes the usual work that follows after.”

Maybe you should’ve just slept in.

You are still Cadance, and you are beginning to doubt the royalty life you saw in magazines. There were no elegant rooms or chambers, instead you and Anon went through a dusty basement of old parchments. Extravagant meals? HAH! All you had was an apple for lunch. Speaking poshly with the nobles of society? It was instead some engineer talking full of jargons.

Inside Anon’s office you lay on the couch, finally catching some break as he went through more parchment work. By the look of the pile you weren’t sure if he could finish it by next morning. No ponies haven’t heard of the prince but seeing him up close was something else. You couldn’t help but to agree with some of the exaggerated hit pieces on Anon. Not against his character, but his appearance. Eyes in front to focus on a prey in a chase. Burly body made to wrestle and grab. The most focused feature was his canine fangs and the rumored jaw pressure that could chew bones. It didn’t help when he got along with dragons and griffin ambassadors more than other species, not to mention there was a picture of him wrestling against a yak.

Those muscles… now that was worth an article. You glanced toward Anon. Seeing him work, forced you to release a long drawn out yawn. You look at Anon again, locking in eye contact. You feel your cheeks flush. If there was a hole you wanted to crawl inside it and never come out. You, the mare that didn’t do any work at all yawned as if you did anything useful today. All you did was tag along like some ditzy tourist!

“First day is always tough, trust me.” Anon said with a chuckle.

“Heh heh heh… sorry. Don’t worry Anon I’ll stay up with you. What kind of princess would I be if I can’t stay up this long in the future?”

“Foal steps Cadance. You can’t be a ruler in a single day you know.”

Anon shifts some paper then dips his quill in the ink. The dim lit room didn’t help your drowsiness, and the couch was really soft. You saw Anon’s mouth move and heard his voice. Yet, you didn’t comprehend what he said at all. What was Anon saying again? And why was it getting so dark? No, focus Cadance. Make some conversations. That’ll keep you awake!

“Uh- so how was your first day like, Anon?”

His smooth skin was bathed in the amber fire, he placed his quill to his side. You watched his forehooves(?) stretch. There was a subtle line of his muscles, the one you read on the magazines. Even in the dimmed room you saw a bitter frown.

“Well you know how the nobles can be. If they see something that’ll threaten their power they’ll start plotting to block you even before you start.”

“Is it that bad?”

“It’ll be easier since you’re a pony- alicorn, I meant alicorn” Anon pinched the bridge of his nose. “Please excuse me, I’m more fatigued than I imagined. The pile of shi- nonsense I had to deal with. You know how noble ponies can be when facing something they don’t understand.”

“But you’re a prince.” You reasoned.

Anon chuckled sardonically. “That’s not gonna stop them. Let’s be honest here, I’ll never be accepted, I’m nothing but a charity case. No matter what feat I accomplish I will never be seen as one of your kind.”

“Anon I-”

“If it’s going to be some half baked apology I don’t want to hear it.”

Silence, Anon’s mouth was hung open then closed with an audible snap. The few seconds felt like hours. Anon groaned as he massaged his temple, he sighed then looked at you. There was a look of regret and fatigue. He was a pony too tired to amend his mistake with haste but regretting with a guilt that weighed thrice as more than it really should be. A long sigh escaped his lips.

“Forgive me, that was verily impertinent of me. It’s late, you should be going back to your room.”

“Anon I’m not offended by it. It’s fine really.”

You admit, the biting words surprised you. Comparing Anon's curt words to high school insults you had, his words were nothing. Not even juvenile.

“Even so I apologize. I believe it’s best if you retire for the day. Umbra, would you mind escorting Princess Cadance back to her room?”

From the corners you saw the glowing eyes of the batpony. You knew she was there but to see her up close was something else. This was the first time seeing a batpony up close. There were only a few that stayed in Equestria after the banishment of Princess Luna. That fascination had to be shelved for later sadly. You left the office, and for the last time of the day you looked at Anon one last time. He was inside his dimly lit office, with parchments to be his company. The dimly lit candle only illuminated his surrounding area, guided by a fire that could be snuffed by a light wind. If the only guiding light was snuffed out... where would he be then?

Author's Note:

Oh geez how long has it been guys? I hope all of you are doing well. I'll get some updates done but it'll be really slow since it's finals week soon. I hope you guys enjoyed the new chapter. Stay safe everyone.

Comments ( 6 )

Damn, yesterday I looked through all the fics in my tracking list and I actually thought it would be neat if this one got updated.

This chapter is a much higher quality than the previous. I was honestly finding it a bit hard to read, but continued because the concept was interesting. But this chapter improved heaps. Everything flowed well, and things made sense. Keep up the good work!

10545935
In between finals and other obligations the update will be slow. The direction of the story will be different but I don't plan to drop it anytime soon.

Comment posted by Hein des Nisseroi deleted Nov 23rd, 2020

YAY! New chapter!

Last seen Mar 26th, 2021
R.I.P

Login or register to comment