• Published 26th May 2019
  • 4,704 Views, 34 Comments

In Search Of... - rattled404



When you were growing up as the only human in the Equestria you knew you were different. With your canine fangs and being an omnivore, you gave up on having friends. Until one alicorn change it all.

  • ...
6
 34
 4,704

Chapter 2: Differene

Be Cadance

Prince Anonymous Incognito, you never met him personally but met him at your ceremony. Though it was difficult to sift the truth and the rumors about him. His tall stature and fangs were true, so was his tendrils, whatever it was called. You wanted to greet as a fellow royalty but not too snobby, he didn’t look the type to be into the all “Canterlot Elite” vibe. You don’t know much about being a royalty but you do know that nobles don’t simply hang out with the maids and servants.

“Sweet mother!” Prince Anonymous shouted as he flipped upside down.

The group of mares you were friends with chuckled, commenting on the fact that the Prince basically called for his mom like a little colt. Can you blame the Prince? It would be weirder by calling her name like the rest of the ponies do. Then again which would be weirder? At least the Prince is still upside with a big smile… weird why would he be- no wait that’s an upside frown. You quickly undo the belts and clasps then catch him before he falls. That was what you had in mind.

When the belts and clasps release the Prince the weight drags you down with him. Never in your life did you flap your wings as if your life depended on it. The expected pain of the impact didn’t arrive but you definitely heard a thud. You then realized the Prince’s hoofs was wrapped around you.

“Ow…” Prince Anonymous croaked out. “You alright?”

You quickly get off of him then use then pull him back up with magic. There was a sadder frown on the Prince’s face, you follow his gaze to a sandwich with… what is that pink flappy thing between the bread?

“Aw haystacks… there goes my sandwich.”

“Prince Anonymous I am so-”

The group you were with swarms you around, asking if anything was injured, implying that it was because of the Prince. You could barely see the prince leaving the area with a heavier forlorn frown. When you finally got out of the crowd the Prince was gone, for a erm… creature large as him to escape so quickly baffled you. It was best to follow him after class to apologize properly.

This was no spying, not at all. You were… observing so you can find the proper timing to apologize. Still, why was he staying inside the library after classes were over? After a long waiting you prepare to enter the library with a well thought out apology. But a white pegasus with blue mane approached him, wearing the same guard armor as the guards in the castle during the day.

“Hey Spearhead.” Anon said cheerfully.

“The carriage arrived your highness, will you be staying here longer or return home?”

Prince Anonymous carried a large bag of books then followed Spearhead. Oh darn it they’re heading this way! You hide behind a pillar then watch as they go.

“Prince Anonymous, did you hear about Baron Gemhoof getting into a heated argument this morning?” Spearhead suddenly said.

Prince Anonymous chuckled. “I didn’t know you liked to listen to gossip.”

Spearhead nodded. “Well , it's just that I think it would’ve been solved if they just talked it out. They finally did but imagine how much time could be saved if they just sat down and talked.”

“Yeah you got a point there. Communication is important.”

Wait wait wait hold on a moment. Did that pegasus just looked back to you? Oh no, he knows you’ve been following him but you didn’t see him. Now he’s going to think you’re some kind of stalker!

Great job Cadance, not only you injured the only Prince in Equestria but his bodyguard now knows you followed him which totally wasn’t stalking. Sweet Celestia what am I gonna do? How am I supposed to face her if she finds out?

Now that you realized you were surprised how little you see Prince Anonymous in the castle. The castle is gigantic but still. You were kind of similar with Prince Anonymous in terms of origin. You lived in the orphanage few years ago until you became an alicorn then moved in to be Celestia’s pupil, she was the mother you never had. Not that orphanage didn’t take care of you, but ten ponies taking care of fifty and sometimes seventy orphans made it near impossible to get continuous attention. For the prince he was found in the garden, parentless and alone.

“Cadance.”

You flinched at the voice you’ve grown to love. “Princess Celestia!”

Ok a bit too loud.

“You know that you don’t have to refer to me so formally anymore. How was your first day in the academy?” Celestia asked.

“It was good. Really good and I apologize, I haven’t got accustomed to it yet..” You nervously smile with the answer.

Celestia lightly chuckled. “No need to apologize. Have you seen Prince Anonymous?”

“Oh um! I’ve seen Prince Anonymous yes.” You reply nervously. “I saw him inside the library at the end of class.”

Celestia lightly frowns at your answer. You did leave out him falling off the tree but it wasn’t a lie, you did see him at the library. Celestia pauses for a moment then returned to the conversation. You don’t know what she’s thinking but it looked serious enough to worry you.

“Cadance, may I request something of you?”

Be Anon.

There was a tower not too far from the main castle, a quiet place just a bit shorter than the astronomy tower. In the evening you enjoyed watching the sunset and the rising of the moon. You have your snacks, books borrowed from the library and a good view, it couldn’t get anymore relaxing. It was like your private sanctum away from judgmental eyes. Except for Umbra, wherever she hidden herself during her shift, but you learned to ignore that.

An echoing hoofsteps alerts you since there was no servants you called for. You were about to get up to see who it was since no one comes in here frequently but Umbra beat you to the hoof. Seriously where does she hide? You stay where you are and wait.

“Good evening Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, can I help you?”

Your eased posture stiffens up, why on Equestria was she here? It wasn’t like this place was conspicuous. Umbra returns to you to explain the situation, you tell Umbra that she can come up. The nervousness tenses you up more when the hoofsteps got closer. There she was, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, in all glory. You exchange a quick bow with each other.

“Good evening, Prince Anonymous.” Princess Cadenza said.

“Good evening to you as well Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.” You say with matching tone. “May I ask what brings you here?”

“Please, you can just call me Cadance,we’re both royals.” She said gracefully.

“Then please, call me Anon.” You say back.

Usually the servants and the guards refuses to call you that except for Spearhead. It was only allowed to be used by your mother and aunt. It wasn’t like the name was prohibited but you didn't met any pony close enough other than your family. She looks down on the ground then meets your gaze. There was a crease on her muzzle that made a small but noticeable frown.

“I just wanted to apologize at the incident in the academy. I shouldn’t have scared you when you were on the tree, especially because you don’t have any wings.”

You wave your hoof dismissively, you couldn’t believe that this was the reason why she came up to you in the evening thought you wonder how she found you. Your body eases up to your usual stance then kneel to meet her eyes, it was best to have a good eye contact when speaking with ponies. Having naturally large body, you had to make yourself non-threatening.

“Cadance, there is nothing to apologize for. It was an accident.” You say with a casual shrug. “I forgot about it before you mentioned it to me.”

“A-are you sure?”

“I guess you do owe me a sandwich.” You said as a joke.

“How about we get lunch tomorrow at the cafeteria?” Cadance offered.

You stiffen up again, scooting away from her to avoid eye contact as much as possible. The last time you went to the cafeteria was the first day of school, the frightened and stern glare were enough for you to run out. They didn’t have to speak, their body did for them. Since then you realized it was better to eat alone and not be bothered, you did try to return after an encouragement from mom but you ended up having apple sauces flung at you by the colt from a family of knights. To them, that colt was the hero and you the monster. It took hours to convince Spearhead to not report it.

“I’m good.”

“Are you sure? I’m certain that-”

“Really, I’m good. Thank you for asking.”

“It’ll be fun Anon, I can introduce you to my-”

Your hindlegs shot up, immediately towering over Cadance in height. Being almost six and a half hoof tall intimidated any ponies you spoke with. A reason why you did your best to look least threatening as possible. Though the Generals you spoken to wish you were present in negotiations, since the ponies weren’t the tallest creatures to be intimidating. It worked wondrously when you didn’t want to be spoken to, except for Umbra, Spearhead, and mom.

Cadance stepped away, fear present on her face. You ignore her reaction then gather your books and snacks, you make the artificial smile you use when speaking with other nobles or in a party, your voice also changes to accompany the smile.

“It was pleasant to speak with you Princess Cadance, I bid you goodnight.”

Whatever Cadance says is into one ear then to the next. You make a wide stride with your legs to ditch Cadance, then you remember she had wings. Darn it, this only works with earth ponies. Cadance flies ahead then stops in your track.

“Prince Anonymous I apologize if I offended you back there. Will you be willing for tea tomorrow then, with just you and I? I received some lovely jasmine tea.” Cadance says, it seems genuine enough.

“And where exactly?”

“At the gardens after class.”

An internal sigh of annoyance nearly passes through your lips if not for etiquette teaching thoroughly imbedded in your head. Tea, you never liked tea to be honest, it was just hot water with flavors you couldn’t taste. Not to mention the etiquette required to even lift the china! Having tea with any nobles implied a favor or currying in a favor, you hated it but denying the invitation was uncouth of a noble.

“Tea sounds…” bREATHE iN and out. “Lovely.”

There was a beaming smile that could shine the world. “Excellent, then I’ll see you tomorrow Anon.”

“You too.”

The gazebo at the garden was emptier than usual since not many ponies come here, except for a few that comes around to admire the flowers. This time however, there were more ponies than you liked. The ponies watched from afar watching you and Candance drinking tea. You might as well believed that noponies here ever drank tea in their lives.

Sitting across from Cadance you sip on the tea daintedly. You silently enjoy the surrounding nature, there was a difference between awkward silence and quiet serenity. As you speak with her, every sentence remained in you thoughts before spoken. With so many ponies around anything you say had an extension of royal authority, despite not having any. One time as a child you thought

You and Cadance discuss different topics. Politics, history, math, and daily life in the castle. Now that you have realized the question from last night reemerged.

“If you don’t mind me asking Cadance, how did you know where I was?”

“Oh um… one of the servants guided me to where you stay.” Cadance says.

“Is that so? That’s strange because-”

“Your royal highnesses!”

That voice, like a high pitch squeal of a pig mixed with a prolonged scratch of a chalk board the voice grinded against your ears. Seriously, why does he have to sound like that? Nevertheless, you hold your sigh as Gold Platinum stands behind the guards.

“Is that your friend Anon?” Cadance asked.

“You can say that.” You say tiredly.

The guards allowed Gold Platinum to enter the gazebo after a curt nod from Cadance and you. There was no sense of reservation from that pony, gladly taking a seat as he brought a chair himself with his magic. He even went far enough to lift his tea cup for you to pour it.

“Oh your royal highness there’s no need to!”

You’d rather pour the tea than let Cadance do it. The satisfaction of having a royal pour tea was going to be denied since it had a bigger meaning than one pony might think. Unlike you, Cadance was an actual royalty, probably going to rule an empire or a kingdom. Somepony that had a better future than you will. You’ll be damned if you let that prissy jerk have that satisfaction.

“Thank you.” Gold Platinum stated flatly then it returns to a Canterlot snob tone. “So Princss Mi Amore Cadenza, how are you liking Canterlot?”

“It’s a lovely place." Cadance said.

"Yes, I heard you are originally from Manehatten. I heard it’s quite the city. Where did you live? No doubt for a destined to be alicorn pony somewhere decadent.” Gold Platinum asked.

“Nothing of the sort. I was raised in an orpha-”

NOPE. Not only knowing Gold Platinum but the nobles in general saying something like that would make the scrutinization MUCH worse. You make the loudest cough from your lungs. One was enough to have Spearhead rush to you aid. Or not… that lazy jerk, out of all the time you needed him. Cadance went to your side quickly, good, this will be the perfect opportunity to make leave.

“Prince Anon, are you alright?” Cadance asked.

“Just fine, Princess Cadenza.”

On the bright side it seems that the tutor of hers did remind her not to refer each other on a first name basis in the public. You never did like the unspoken rules of the nobility, but just like everyone else you had to play the game, especially you. Before anything else could happen Spearhead flew over.

“Your highness are you alright?”

Spearhead was a great guardspony, somepony that understood you and well… your friend. But if you had to trust his acting skill to save your life you were better off making peace. You gave him an irked glance of “You still suck at this”, in which Spearhead replied with a shrug. You wish your cousin Blueblood is here. Yes he can be super snobby but he knew what to do in situations like these. He could insult a pony in a compliment and they’ll thank him for it. Mother forbids his father comes. Even the generals respected him.

“I am and I wish to leave. Princess Cadenza would you mind accompanying me?” You ask.

“Of course Prince Anon.”

In the carriage ride back home you saw the ire of Gold Platinum. He wasn’t the bully that many think of. He couldn’t beat you, he just loved to torment and humiliate you in the most subtle ways possible. Since most ponies here were your classmates in first grade they knew all the inside jokes. You hate it but you were a royalty, you had to act the part and not let it bother you.

“Cadance, how much did you learn about royal etiquette?” You ask.

“I just started, I’m just getting the basics.” Cadance said.

“Then you know pouring the tea to other than a royal family signifies a deep bond.” You say sternly. “Not to mention, if you mention you’re from an orphanage there might be more scrutiny in the future.”

“I… didn’t know that. Thank you.” Cadance said sincerely. “I thought they knew about my background already.”

“I’m sure they do, but The less you talk about it the better.”

“Why?”

You let out a sigh deeper than you imagined. It’s always been this way and the only time it will change was when your mom would be present. When was the last time you had a meal or even seen her?

“Because if you’re different they will judge you. Always have always will.”

“I won’t.” Cadance said with a heartfelt conviction.

“Thank you.”

She clapped her hooves together. “Anon, how about you and I explore the castle tomorrow? I bet you know all the fun places.”

Well, you knew where to hide from the crowds but you weren’t sure of “fun” places. Now that you think about it you were stuck inside the library most of the time. You were about to say no but… you couldn’t say no to that pleading face.

You weakly smiled. “Alright.”

Author's Note:

Another chapter is done. Thank you for reading and commenting.

I never did like others being judge for liking the niche stuff or being different. Being different makes you, you. Don't let others discourage you for liking what others don't like or find it weird. Have a good day everyone.