• Published 26th May 2019
  • 4,470 Views, 86 Comments

Equestria Girls: Two Sunsets - moviefan-92



CHS is having a talent show, and the girls are eager to join. But then the human Sunset Shimmer suddenly appears. They try to befriend her, but she's shy and reserved, and seems to be hiding something magic. Is she evil like her counterpart once was?

  • ...
2
 86
 4,470

Chapter 3: Song Selections

Author's Note:

Last time, we had the introduction of the human Sunset. That was just the start of things, and we'll be seeing a lot more of her later. Things are going to get interesting when she meets the Equestria Girls. Speaking of which, it looks like they're going to be in a talent show. Don't worry though, this won't be a repeat of Rainbow Rocks or anything. And speaking of not worrying, for those of you that don't like Flash Sentry, and I'm fully aware that there are a lot because he's a "waifu thief", I'm not planning on doing a romance or anything with anyone, and he won't be appearing all that often. Like I said, I like to keep my stories as canon as possible, so I merely addressed their relationship based on what Hasbro has been doing. The focus of this story will be on the Equestria Girls and human Sunset. Anything that takes place in this story would fully be able to have taken place before Spring Breakdown and MLP Season 8. And if you haven't noticed them yet, keep a look out for references and parallels to the MLP series that pop up throughout this story. For those of you that have read my other stories and know my writing, then you should know that I love references. And fourth wall breaks too. I don't get to do them often, but this series is known to have them, which allowed me to have some real fun with them. Hope everyone enjoyed this chapter, especially you, cuz, and I'll see you next time.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.


Equestria Girls and other human world residents: …Normal Font…

Mane Six, human Sunset Shimmer, and other Equestria residents: …Italicized Font…

Chapter 3: Song Selections

The school day had just ended a few minutes ago, and the Equestria Girls had begun gathering in the music room to discuss what they were going to do for the talent show. Currently, they were waiting for Pinkie Pie, who made a grand entrance when she burst into the room.

"I have the best idea ever!" she practically shouted.

The others looked up from getting their instruments ready to regard the pink-haired girl warily. Pinkie Pie was indeed a lot of fun, but her ideas could sometimes be a little… much.

"Ok," Applejack relented, "what's your idea?"

Looking giddy, Pinkie Pie moved in closer and lowered her voice. "If we win the talent show, I say we all celebrate by getting tattoos!"

The others' mouths dropped open. Out of all the crazy ideas they had been prepared for, that had not been one of them.

"See," Pinkie Pie continued, "I thought it would be fun if we all got a tattoo of our pony selves' Cutie Marks. That way it'd be like we're connected. I'm thinking on our lower backs, or maybe on our ankles if we want them to be less visible, but we should all get them in the same spot. What do you think?"

Sunset bit her bottom lip uncomfortably and glanced at her friends. They too wore similar expressions on their faces. Worst of all, they were looking at her, seemingly to give their hyperactive friend an appropriate response.

"That's… an interesting suggestion," she said carefully, not wanting to hurt Pinkie Pie's feelings by completely knocking down her idea, "but I think we're still a little young to get tattoos. Maybe we'll revisit that idea when we graduate from college or something."

Pinkie Pie looked disappointed, her hair deflating as if it were a balloon. "Aww, but I wanted us to do something special and memorable if we won to mark the occasion."

Sunset quickly waved her arms. "We still can! We can… um… uh…"

Rarity quickly came in to assist her. "How about we throw a big party instead? Um, different cakes themed?"

Pinkie Pie's mouth dropped open and her eyes got so wide that her friends were afraid that they would pop out of her skull as her hair poofed up again. "That idea's even better!"

The girls relaxed and chuckled at how easily their friend could be distracted at the mention of sweets. Although too many sweets may in fact be part of the reason why she was so hyper all of the time. But only part of the reason.

"Um… perhaps we should talk about what we're going to do for the show before we talk about what we're going to do if we win it," Fluttershy suggested.

Rainbow Dash scoffed at that. "As if we could lose. But you're right; we should pick a song. We can only do one, right?"

"Mmm. I'm afraid so, darling," Rarity told her. "Otherwise there won't be enough time for all the acts."

"Anyone know anyone else besides Flash who's entering?" Sunset asked curiously.

Applejack held up her hand. "I talked to Apple Bloom earlier. Turns out she, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle are doing something in the show, but she wouldn't tell me what it was, only that they were sure to win."

Rarity gasped in indignation. "What!? Sweetie Belle didn't say anything to me about entering."

Spike snickered. "Probably trying to reduce the competition, 'cause she knew you girls would win hands down."

Pulling out her phone, Twilight began looking up their band's profile on their webpage. "Lets just pick a song. I suggest we look at which ones have the most fans."

Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared over her shoulder to look. "Ooh, let me see."

Rainbow Dash joined them. "Good call. Leave it to the Bronies and the Pegasisters to tell us."

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "The what and the who now?"

Twilight held up her phone. "Oh, those are the new fan-names our followers are going by now because of the whole pony theme our band has. Now, lets see what they're saying…"

As the girls moved in to take a look at her phone, Sunset held back and smiled at the sight of her friends, a feeling of warmth and comfort filling her. There were no words to express how grateful she was to have them in her life. Whether it was just hanging out, spending the day going out, playing in their band, or whatever else life had in store for them, she simply couldn't imagine life without them.

Speaking of their band, the Rainbooms were becoming increasingly popular, and their number of followers was growing. Their popularity had really taken off after their appearances in the latest Daring Do movie, and their prize winning song, Dance Magic, playing everywhere certainly helped, bring their number of followers into the hundreds of thousands. And thanks to their newest friend, Vignette Valencia and her connections, their popularity only continued to grow.

Of course, despite how popular they were, they held no illusions that they would become world famous like those really big bands that made millions of dollars at each appearance. Each of them had dreams and aspirations of their own, and it wasn't hard for Sunset to see where each of them would end up.

Applejack would undoubtedly take over as an apple farmer for her family. There was really nothing she enjoyed more, not to mention it was a bit of a family tradition. And her magical strength would aid her with the more physically challenging jobs working on a farm consisted of. She was easily the hardest worker Sunset knew, and loved to be kept busy.

Rainbow Dash would probably go on to be a professional athlete or sportswoman, and not because of her magical super speed. Most likely, she would end up being a star soccer player, though she was equally as skilled in several other sports. But even if she didn't make it big, she would still undoubtedly end up doing something sports related, maybe as a professional coach or a personal trainer.

Fluttershy would, of course, end up working with animals. Her magic ability to talk to them would make it very easy. She would likely open her own pet shop or animal shelter. Or maybe she would end up as a pet groomer/animal photographer. Or, if she had the stomach for it, she could be a vet since she was essentially a real life Dr. Doolittle. Or perhaps she would be a zoologist if she decided to move up to the more wild animals. Whatever she did choose though, it would definitely be animal related.

Rarity was a no-brainer. She would go on to be a fashion designer, and a world famous one at that with her skills, and would probably open her own boutique right here in town. She would most likely model her own designs too, and even be her own makeup artist; she had the looks, talent, and ambitions for all three. Sunset could even see her working with Photo Finish as her photographer. Or maybe she would take a different route and be an actress; she had expressed interest after their appearance in the last Daring Do movie. However, Sunset didn't think she would ever be able to walk away from fashion.

For Pinkie Pie, there was no question. She was going to be an event and party planner. The girl loved to have fun, and make sure others did too, taking pleasure in decorating and planning, usually going a little too far, but she definitely had the talent for it. There was never a dull moment when she was around. She'd probably end up opening her own bakery or pastry shop or café on the side as well. It didn't seem like the girl ever got tired.

With as smart as Twilight was, she had a number of possibilities open to her. The girl was a certified genius. She'd most likely go on to become a great scientist and/or inventor. She already had plenty of inventions of her own, even having made Spike a robot dog girlfriend. Knowledge and learning were her forte, and her love for science was undeniable. Her love for books was equally as great, so if she wanted a more modest job, she could always be a librarian, but Sunset saw her going on to do something much greater. After all, she was determined to prove last year's superlative wrong and beat Micro Chips in the invention of cold fusion. Or maybe she would follow a similar path of her counterpart and become, not a princess, but a school principal, much like Princess Celestia and Princess Luna's counterparts. Maybe even of Canterlot High when Principal Celestia eventually retired.

As for Sunset herself, well, she wasn't entirely sure what she wanted to do. She didn't want to toot her own horn, but she was very smart and talented, and thus had a lot of options available to her. And though she wasn't on Twilight's level, she was rather skillful in science, so being a scientist was an option for her as well. She also enjoyed solving the magic mysteries she and her friends encountered, so maybe something like a detective or a private eye was optional; her magic ability to read people's thoughts, memories, and emotions would definitely come in handy with that. But if she had to pick now though, she thought that she would pursue a career in art. She was rather skilled, and had already gained quite the reputation as the street artist, Flanksy, despite keeping her identity secret. She even created an entire comic of her and her friends using their magic to be superheroes to stop a jewel thief.

But there was no need to rush anything right now. They still had plenty of time before graduation, and they could always change their minds in college. One thing was certain though, no matter what their future held, they would always be best friends forever.

Smiling, Sunset closed her eyes and thought about how she had gotten to this point. If she had been asked a few years ago, she never would have expected to end up where she was. She had been a unicorn back in Equestria studying under Princes Celestia, greedy, arrogant, and power hungry. She'd made a lot of mistakes over the years and had many regrets, but to have ended up where she was now, it was all worth it. She would have like to have done a number of things differently, particularly back in her darker days, but in the end, those events had helped her become the person she was now. As had the people she had met. And she would always be forever grateful to-

"I SAID, HEY, SUNSET!"

Eyes snapping open, Sunset jumped as she found Pinkie Pie's face right in front of hers. "Pinkie! Don't do that."

Pinkie Pie just smiled innocently. "Well, we were talking to you, but you weren't answering. You must have been having a reeeeeeally deep thought. What were you thinking about?"

Sunset glanced at her friends. They were looking at her curiously too. Just how much of the conversation did she miss? "Never mind, it's not important. Um, what were we talking about again? I kind of zoned out a bit. Sorry."

Rarity sighed in mild irritation. "We were talking about which song we were going to do for the talent show."

Sunset snapped her fingers. "Oh, right. So what did we decide on? Which song got the highest rating?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Oh, wow, you really weren't here. Well, we decide not to go with that. Instead, we're each nominating our favorite song, and we're gonna vote from there."

Rarity held up the notepad and pencil in her hands. "So, Sunset, which of our songs is your favorite? It must be one we all sing, no solos or duets."

A big smile grazed Sunset's face. It was a no-brainer for her. There was really only one song. "Oh, that's easy. I mean, I love all our songs and think they're all great, but my favorite would have to be the one Fluttershy wrote, The Music In Our Hearts."

Fluttershy looked surprised by this. "My song?"

Sunset nodded. "It was a really great song. And not only did we beat the sirens with it, but it was when we sang that song together that I truly felt like I had become a part of the group and truly gained real friends. That song will always hold a special place in my heart because of it."

The others stared at her, slightly caught off guard at how deep and meaningful her choice was.

"Wow," said Applejack, sounding touched, "that was beautiful."

Rarity sniffled emotionally. "Yes, truly touching," she agreed, and wrote down Sunset's choice. "Ok, with that, the nominees are Friendship Through the Ages, This Is Our Big Night, Dance Magic, The Legend You Were Meant To Be, Perfect Day For Fun, Shake Your Tail, and The Music In Our Hearts. You only get to vote for one, and you can't vote for the one you submitted."

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms. "It's too bad we don't have a new song we haven't played yet. If we busted out a new song for the show, we'd win hands down."

"That would be pretty cool," Applejack agreed, "but I doubt we'll be able to write a new song, come up with music, and practice it enough in time for the show."

Sunset tapped her chin in thought. She had been meaning to present something to her friends for a few days now, but had yet to do so. Now seemed as good a time as any. "Actually, if you guys are interested, I do have a new song that I finished recently."

All heads snapped in her direction at the unexpected news. An excited smile lit up Rarity's face, and she immediately tossed her pencil and notepad away. "Why didn't you say so earlier, darling?"

"Show us, show us!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bouncing up and down excitedly.

Smiling at her friends' eagerness, she began going through her backpack. "I've been working on it for a little while now. I wanted to write a song about how great you guys are as friends. Ah!" She pulled out a few sheets of paper and handed them to her friends. "I have to be honest though, I used a few of the lyrics from the cafeteria song you guys sang to get Twilight elected as the Princess of the Fall Formal. I hope you don't mind."

Rainbow Dash snatched the papers out of her hand. "I don't mind. That just means that we contributed."

"And I was afraid that song would go to waste after that one time," Applejack admitted.

"Pfft," Pinkie Pie scoffed. "Waste nothing. Didn't you notice how many people were filming us on their phones? And the videos of us they posted online completely went viral. If the events around the Fall Formal with Sunset taking Twilight's crown and her trying to get it back were made into a movie, that cafeteria song would have easily been the best part."

Twilight looked confused. "Wait, when was this? I was never elected as… Oh, wait, you meant the other Twilight. Of course!" She rubbed the back of her head bashfully. "Sorry, my bad."

Sunset waited anxiously as her friends read her song. It wasn't the first one she wrote, but it was still always a little nerve-wracking to show your work for the first time. However, when they finished reading, they looked back up at Sunset and were all smiles.

"Sunset, this is quite good," Rarity commented her.

"I like how you incorporated our group name in it," said Fluttershy.

A big smile spread across Sunset's face. "You really like it?"

"I think it may be one of your best song yet, sugar cube," Applejack told her honestly.

"Just one thing though," said Rainbow Dash. "On these parts here and here, when you talk about how awesome we are, why didn't you include yourself?"

A chuckle escaped Sunset, and she crossed her arms. "Well, I said it was about you guys. It'd be kind of weird if I wrote about myself when singing about how awesome my friends are."

Rainbow Dash wobbled her head. "Yeah, I guess that's a good point."

"I know," said Twilight, "we can make those parts a solo section for Sunset to sing. That will make her stand out in the song too."

"Works for me," said Applejack.

Excitement began to bubble up inside Sunset. "Does that mean we can use it for the talent show?"

Rainbow Dash looked up from the song sheet. She glanced at her friends before fixing Sunset with a serious look. "Alright, we'll use your song, but on one condition."

The smile faltered from Sunset's face as she wondered what it could be. "Um, ok. What?"

Rainbow Dash continued to look at her seriously for a few moments before her expression shifted to a mischievous smirk. "The next time you write a song about how awesome we all are, you have to include yourself in it too."

Realizing that she was being messed with, Sunset beamed. "Deal."

"Splendid!" Rarity exclaimed delightfully. "Now we have a brand new song for the show."

"This is so exciting," said Fluttershy, lightly clapping her hands together.

Twilight took another look at Sunset's song, and the wheels in her head began turning. "Actually, I think we have more than that. I think that this might be the song we're looking for."

"You mean for the big musical montage song we talked about making that's a mash-up of several of our other songs squished into one?" Pinkie Pie asked excitedly.

Twilight blinked, only mildly surprised that her frizzle-haired friend had somehow managed to guess what she was thinking. "It's called a medley, Pinkie Pie. And yes, I think this song would be perfect as the basis for it. I could try incorporating it into what we have so far."

Fluttershy cocked her head to the side. "Are you sure you're going to have time for that? I know you're busy making arrangements for Spring Break. It won't be too much work for you, will it?"

Twilight just waved this off. "It'll be fine. Spring break is still months away. And if anyone knows how to schedule things, it's me. I can fit this in, no problem." She glanced at Sunset. "If you don't mind me adding your song to the medley."

Sunset nodded. "By all means, if you think it would work, that would be awesome."

"Totally awesome!" Rainbow Dash agreed. "Now we'll have not one, but two more songs for our CD."

The moment she said the words, she clamped her hands over her mouth. Too late it seemed though, as her friends were now looking at her curiously. Slowly, she lowered her hands from her mouth and waved them in front of her. "Um, never mind what I just said."

Rarity narrowed her eyes at her. "Never mind nothing. What are you talking about? What CD?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes darted back and forth as she looked like a deer caught in the headlights before she gave a very forced laugh and rubbed the back of her head. "CD? Who said anything about a CD? That's not what I said. Ha, ha, ha."

Almost simultaneously, her friends raised an eyebrow. Letting her know that they weren't buying it. Rainbow Dash just continued to look at them with a large, forced grin on her face, her eyes occasionally darting around, as if searching for an escape route.

"Spill it," said Sunset, letting her know that she and the others weren't going to let this go.

Realizing that the cat was out of the bag, Rainbow Dash sighed and hung her head. "Ok, you caught me. I was hoping to make it a surprise, but since I apparently have a very big mouth…" She shrugged. "Ok, so a few weeks ago, Vinyl Scratch asked if she could have a copy of all our songs. I told her that I'd burn her a CD, and then she suggested that we make a whole bunch of CDs and start selling them. She even said that she'd help."

The others stared at her in surprise. Twilight recovered first and shook her head. "Wait, so you and Vinyl have been planning on making CDs of all our songs?"

"The Rainbooms are a hit," Rainbow Dash replied. "And we're only getting more popular. People like our music. So, yeah, I thought it was a good idea. She and I already designed a cover; we're just working on getting all the songs together. I was going to tell you guys when the first batch was finished."

"That is an awesome idea!" Pinkie Pie practically shouted.

"Indeed," Rarity agreed, clapping her hands together. "How did we not think of it before now?"

"If it's music related, you can always count on Vinyl," said Spike.

"She's actually been taking pre-orders at her job at the music store," Rainbow Dash continued. "Oh, and she said that if we're interested, she'd be happy to help us make some music videos for our songs too."

Applejack smiled. "What a coincidence. I was actually thinking of trying to do a few Do It Yourself videos."

"That is a coincidence," said Rarity. "Because I was thinking of trying to make my own fashion videos I plan to call 'Street Chic'."

"I guess great minds think alike," Sunset said with a smile, "since I was starting up a Let's Play gaming channel myself. I'm calling it 'Shimmer Code'."

Pinkie Pie clapped her hands excitedly. "Fun! I want to try it out too! I know, I could do a baking show!"

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms, looking very smug. "Too bad I already beat you all. I already have my own channel showing Tank and me doing some awesome skating moves."

"I wanna give it a shot too," said Spike eagerly. "Twilight, can I borrow your camera?"

Twilight smiled. "Sure, Spike. And doing some music videos does sound like fun, but lets see how things go with the CDs first."

"Hey," said Pinkie Pie, "we should also take some orders at the talent show for our CDs."

Sunset nodded. "That's a good idea, Pinkie Pie. It could really promote sales if they can see us play. I'm sure Principal Celestia won't mind. We can even donate some of the profits to the school for class trips and stuff."

"Never would have thought that when we started a band that it'd go this far," Applejack admitted, though she was clearly happy about the outcome.

Rarity scoffed. "Darling, please. It's obvious that we have a natural talent for it."

Fluttershy shyly moved a lock of hair out of her face as she hesitantly asked, "So, which of our songs are going to be on the CD?"

Rainbow Dash gave her a bewildered look. "Um, all of them. Duh. I even got our solo songs, like Sunset's My Past Is Not Today and Rarity's The Other Side. I mean, if we're gonna show off our musical talent, we might as well go all out." She suddenly punched her palm. "Which reminds me." She rushed over to her bespectacled friend and grasped her shoulders. "Twilight, I need a favor."

Twilight blinked. "Um, ok. What?"

"Well, I wanted to include the Camp Everfree theme on the CD, you know, the one we sang on the bus ride there, but Vinyl said that the song is the property of the camp, so we can't use it without permission. Can you talk to Timber Spruce and convince him to let us use it?"

Twilight blinked at the unexpected request, and reached up to remove Rainbow Dash's too tight grip on her shoulders. "I suppose so. But why don't you just ask him yourself?"

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Um, duh, because you're his girlfriend. You should be able to convince him to do pretty much anything."

Twilight's face turned bright red, but she couldn't hide the smile on her face as she swayed back and forth bashfully. "G-Girlfriend! I-I don't know if I would say I'm his girlfriend. I mean, yeah, we are dating, but I don't know if I would use the term 'girlfriend' just yet."

"Whatever. Same difference. Come on, ask him for me!"

Rarity cleared her throat. "You do realize that you will need his sister's permission too, dear. Both of them have equal ownership of the camp."

Rainbow Dash just shrugged. "Yeah, but I figured that she'd say yes since we saved her from being stuck as an evil plant demon, and because we helped saved the camp from Filthy Rich."

Sunset chuckled. "I'm sure Timber is just as grateful for those things as Gloriosa. Besides, letting us use the camp's theme song would be good promotion and advertisement. I don't think either of them would object."

Rainbow Dash punched the air. "Sweet! Including that one and Sunset's new song, if Twilight can finish our medley, that'll make three more songs for our CD. We'll make the medley the last song on the CD for a grand finale. This is gonna be so awesome!"

"We better get to practicing then," Applejack pointed out. "New songs take some time to get down."

Rainbow Dash swiped her hand through the air. "No sweat. We totally got this. We're gonna win the talent show hands down."

At that moment, the door to the music room burst open, and a white-haired girl with cornflower blue-skinned stood in the doorway with a scowl on her face. The Equestria Girls stared at her in surprise at her sudden entrance, and she all but glared at them.

"What was that?" she demanded. "Did I hear you say that you were going to win the talent show?"

Applejack's shoulders slumped and she looked at the newcomer with hooded eyes. "Were you eavesdropping on us?"

Ignoring the farm girl, the newcomer arrogantly strutted into the room. "If anyone is going to win the talent show, it will be me, the great and powerful Trrrrrixie! And no new song of yours could possibly beat my magic."

"So you were eavesdropping."

This was nothing new for the Equestria Girls. Trixie Lulamoon was the most self-centered, obnoxious, and snobby person in the entire school, and she never passed up the opportunity to show off. And while they had long since gotten used to her behavior, it was still rather annoying.

"Just what makes you think you're going to win?" Rarity asked, sounding bored.

Trixie sputtered in surprise, looking insulted. "Obviously because I'm the greatest and most powerfulest person in the entire school." She pulled out a copy of last year's yearbook from behind her back and opened it to her page. "Just like it says in the yearbook."

Applejack snatched the book out of Trixie's hand. "First of all, there's still no such word as 'powerfulest'. Second, we all know that Sunset gave you that superlative, even though it wasn't a real one, because you helped her with the whole memory stone thing." She glanced at the yearbook. "And were you just carrying this around with you?"

Once again ignoring the question, Trixie arrogantly flipped her hair back. "You mean she recognized my talents when we worked together, and gave me the recognition I deserved."

Rainbow Dash groaned. "Oh, brother." She glanced at Fluttershy. "Sometimes I can't decide who's more full of themself, her or your brother."

Rounding on her, Trixie pointed a finger in challenge. "Very well, I shall show you all what I am capable of. At the talent show, I'll show everyone just how amazing I am. And then you will all know who the true queen of this school is. And then I shall take my talent online with my own videos of street magic."

Applejack's eyes widened, and then she placed her hands on her hips. "Your own videos? Just how long were you listening in on us, you copycat?"

Smirking, Trixie scoffed at the accusation. "The great Trixie does not copy. She improves! And soon you shall all be witnesses to my greatness!"

She suddenly threw a smoke bomb on the ground, and the room was filled with a cloud that blinded the Equestria Girls and left them coughing. The cloud cleared up a few seconds later, and when it did, Trixie had vanished.

Pinkie Pie gasped loudly, her hands flying to her cheeks in surprise. "She's gone!"

Smirking, Sunset placed a hand on her shoulder. "Wait for it…"

The Equestria Girls remained where they were. A few seconds later, from out of their peripheral vision, they spotted Trixie as she peeked her head out from behind the drum set she was hiding behind to see if anyone was looking. When she saw that they weren't, she quickly did a ninja roll and leapt out the open window, landing on the ground outside with an audible "Oof."

Trying not to chuckle, Sunset went over to close the window while a few of her friends steamed at the wannabe magician's antics.

"Sometimes that Trixie really grinds my gears," Applejack grumbled.

"Tell me about it," Rainbow Dash agreed. "Why's she got to be such a pain all the time?"

Sliding the window shut, Sunset turned back to her friends. "Oh, she's not so bad once you get used to her. And I really do owe her a lot. She is the only one who believed me and helped me when everyone else thought I was still mean."

Fluttershy lowered her eyes in shame. "I still feel really bad about that."

Rarity placed a hand on her shoulder. "As do I, darling. We all should have been more understanding."

Sunset waved her arms. "Don't feel bad, guys. It's not your fault. Your memories of me had been erased. As far as you knew, I was still the school bully trying to trick you all so I could sabotage your friendship again." She sighed deeply. "I really was a horrible person back then."

Applejack shook her head. "Doesn't matter. We should have been more open-minded and not dismissed you so quickly, no matter what you had done in the past. Especially since what you said about our memories being altered was a possibility with how much magic had been running wild back then."

The others looked like they agreed with her. Sunset didn't like seeing her friends looking so sad, and immediately tried to cheer them up. "Guys, really, it's ok. I don't blame you. If it makes you and better, I wouldn't have believed me either. Trust needs to be earned, and with your memories erased, you had no memories of me earning it. And besides, some good came out of it. We not only befriended Wallflower Blush, but Trixie and I became friends too… Sort of."

There were reluctant grumbles of agreement from her friends. Sunset smiled and took the song sheets from Rainbow Dash. "I also think the whole experience was good for me too in the long run. Not only did it give me the opportunity to make up with Princess Celestia, it also gave me a newfound appreciation for how much you guys mean to me. Turns out it's true that you only really understand how much you care about something when you no longer have it. In fact, it was that newfound appreciation that inspired me to write this song."

Applejack smiled in acknowledgement. "Well said, sugar cube. I remember how much I missed ya'll back when we were fighting." She snapped her mouth shut as she realized that that had been because of Sunset from when she had been a bully. "Um, no offense."

Sunset rolled her eyes, smiling in amusement. At this point, it was almost a running joke in their group. "None taken."

"All friends fight sometimes," Fluttershy pointed out. "What's important is that they're able to make up afterwards."

"And sometimes become even better friends because of it," Rarity added, recalling the fight she'd had with Applejack during the whole incident with Vignette.

The sound of drums and cymbals being struck drew their attention, and they turned to find Pinkie Pie at her drum set. "Enough of this gloomy talk. Lets get rocking!"

A chuckle escaped Twilight. "Good idea, Pinkie Pie. We should take advantage of the music room while we have it. We've got a whole new song to learn after all."

"Good call," Rainbow Dash agreed, and took the song sheets back from Sunset. "Just let me make some copies real quick."

Tapping into the power of her geode, she took off in a stream of rainbow. She returned a few seconds later, placing a copy in each of the Equestria Girls' hands, then picked up her guitar. "Alright, time to put this new song to the test."

The others took up their own instruments. Rarity on the keytar, Fluttershy on the tambourine, Applejack on the bass, and Sunset on the rhythm guitar and backup vocals with Twilight.

"Everybody ready?" Pinkie Pie asked, raising her drumsticks. She started tapping them together as she counted down. "And a one, and a two, and a you know what to do!"

(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-(-)

Outside the window of the music room, Trixie poked her head out of the bush she had crawled into in case one of the Equestria Girls decided to look out the window and see her. She waited a few moments longer before deciding that it was safe, and crawling out of the bush and brushing herself off.

"No one is a match for the magic of the great and powerful Trrrrrixie!" she declared to no one.

Then, just to be safe, she pressed herself up against the wall and began to sidestep along it. It would be a bit inconvenient to creep all the way around the side of the school, only to have to double back in order to go home, but it would be worth it to keep up the illusion of her disappearing; it simply wouldn't do if any of the Equestria Girls saw her walking away from the school after her grand escape from the music room.

Reaching the end of the wall, she smirked arrogantly before leaping around it… and promptly crashing into someone wearing a red hoodie who had been coming around the other side.

"Ow!" she exclaimed, sitting up and rubbing her head. "Watch where you're going!"

"Sorry," the other person said, sitting up as well. "Didn't see you."

Trixie made to glare at them, but instead gasped as their hood fell back to reveal, "Sunset?"

Sunset blinked as yet another person she didn't recognize addressed her by name. "You too? What is going on?"

Standing up, Trixie looked back the way she came, then back down at Sunset as she tried to figure out how she had gotten from the music room to here so quickly, and with different clothes and a new hairstyle too. "That's what I'd like you know. How did you…? You were just…? When did you…?" Shaking her head, she placed her hands on her hips and glared at her. "Are you trying to upstage me?"

Sunset raised an eyebrow questioningly as she got to her feet and dusted herself off. "Upstage you? I don't even know you."

Trixie rolled her eyes. "Oh, ha, ha. Very funny. Did you get hit with a memory spell this time?"

The red and yellow haired girl's eyebrows rose up. "Um, not that I'm aware of."

Trixie just scoffed. "Uch, whatever. I don't care what kind of tricks you use, they're nothing compared to the great and powerful Trrrrrixie!"

Taking another out another smoke bomb, she threw it on the ground to create another cloud. Sunset coughed and waved it away. As the cloud dissipated, she briefly caught sight of Trixie's long hair disappearing around the other side of the school.

"Ooook," she muttered in bewilderment, "that was possibly the strangest encounter I've had all day."

Which was really saying something compared to the number of people she had run into today who knew her, even though she didn't know them. But what was it that that girl, Trixie, had said about a memory spell? From what she had implied, it sounded as if it altered or erased memories. Was that how people here knew her? As silly as it sounded, was it possible that she had actually been here before, and that some magic spell had affected her memory?

Reaching up, she touched the gems on her choker. No, that couldn't be it. She was immune to magic as long as she had her choker, and she never took it off. Something else was at work here, and it wasn't some silly parlor trick like the so-called great and powerful Trixie had just performed.

Eyes narrowing, she pulled her hood back up and walked off. "There's definitely something going on with this school, and I'm going to find out what it is. And no one is going to stop me."