• Published 26th May 2019
  • 4,470 Views, 86 Comments

Equestria Girls: Two Sunsets - moviefan-92



CHS is having a talent show, and the girls are eager to join. But then the human Sunset Shimmer suddenly appears. They try to befriend her, but she's shy and reserved, and seems to be hiding something magic. Is she evil like her counterpart once was?

  • ...
2
 86
 4,470

Chapter 1: Twilight News

Author's Note:

Ok, this is a first for me, but I promise it's gonna be a good one. I've been a writer on FanFiction.net for a while now. Recently though, my cousin begged me to write an Equestria Girls, and so I did. One of my readers suggested that I post my story here as well, so I figured, why not? So, yeah, this is for you, cuz. It's not just a story for the sake of a story though, I take my writing very seriously, especially if it's a request, and usually those stories turn out better than many of my other stories. I'd also like to thank my friend, Silverbuller, on DeviantArt for letting me use the image for this story.

IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ!!! Just so everyone knows, even though this is an Equestria Girls story, there will be mentions of the Mane Six throughout it. In order to avoid confusion, I decided to italicize the names of Mane Six and other residents of Equestria when they're mentioned. The same goes for Sunset Shimmer's human counterpart.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

Story originally posted on 4/10/19 at https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13257605/1/Equestria-Girls-Two-Sunsets.


Equestria Girls and other human world residents: …Normal Font…

Mane Six, human Sunset Shimmer, and other Equestria residents: …Italicized Font…

"EQUESTRIA GIRLS: TWO SUNSETS"

Chapter 1: Twilight News

A pair of purple eyes stared from behind large glasses down at the phone held by a lavender colored hand as they read the text message for the umpteenth time. The words were still the same, no matter how many times they were read, and the owner of said phone was still trying to process what this meant.

No, it was obvious what it meant. Coming to terms with what it meant and how to deal with it would probably be a better way of putting it. And so absorbed in their thoughts was the phone's owner that they failed to see the telephone pole in front of them until they walked into it.

"Ow!" she cried, her hand going to her head, rubbing the spot where she banged it. "Who put that there?"

From inside the backpack she wore, a small lavender dog poked its head out and raised an eyebrow at her question. "Um, Twilight, it's a telephone pole. It's been there for quite a while."

A groan escaped Twilight Sparkle and she glanced over her shoulder at her dog as she continued rubbing her forehead. Ordinarily, a talking dog would raise many questions in her ever-curious brain, but she had learned not to question things so much, especially when magic was involved. All it would do was lead to headaches and even more questions. Besides, she had much stranger things to worry about right now.

"Sorry, Spike," she told the dog, not sure why she was apologizing. "I guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around this."

The dog, Spike, gave her a strange look. "What? You mean that text you got? Don't worry about it so much; it's not a big deal."

"Maybe not to you!" Twilight exclaimed, her anxiety rearing its ugly head. "But how am I supposed to deal with this?"

Spike just rolled his eyes, still not seeing what she was freaking out about, but he still tried to be supportive. "Um, just like normal?"

Twilight resisted the urge to groan. She couldn't just act normal, because this was not a normal situation. In fact, this was high up on the 'awkward' scale, and she didn't know what she should do about it.

She once again read the text to make sure she wasn't mistaken, but the message still hadn't changed. She was still thinking about what this meant for her as she entered the doors of Canterlot High School and began making her way to her locker, all but moving on autopilot as she continued to stare at her phone.

After she got what she needed from her locker, still not taking her eyes off her phone, she closed the door and turned around, and would have walked into the person in front of her if they hadn't cried out, "I SAID, GOOD MORNING, TWILIGHT!"

Nearly jumping out of her skin, Twilight briefly juggled her phone before she managed to grasp it securely in her hands. Looking at the person who had screamed, she saw her ever-cheerful friend Pinkie Pie standing in front of her with a big smile on her face. She wasn't alone either, the rest of her friends, Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy were there as well, but Twilight's attention was on the pink-skinned, pink-haired girl in front of her.

"Pinkie Pie," she complained, "what was that for?"

"Whaaaat?" the hyperactive teen asked with genuine innocence. "I said 'hi' to you like a bazillion times, but you didn't notice."

Twilight blinked. "You did?" She hadn't heard her at all. Feeling embarrassed, she put on a bashful smile and rubbed the back of her head. "Sorry, guess I'm a little distracted this morning."

"I'll say," Spike mumbled, poking his head out of her backpack.

Frowning, Sunset gave her a look of concern. "Is everything alright? Did something happen?"

Twilight glanced at the unofficial leader of their little group. Despite the biker girl look she favored, Sunset Shimmer was actually one of the nicest people she knew, though from what she had heard, that hadn't always been the case; Twilight actually had a hard time believing that though. But Twilight trusted her friends more than anyone, and knew that she could count on them.

She had met them about half a year ago, back when she was still a student at Crystal Prep Academy. She had been a loner back then, with no friends, caring only about her studies. All that had changed when she met the six girls before her. She had bonded with them very quickly, and soon found herself changing her priorities, and even transferring schools and moving into a dorm.

Her life had improved significantly after that. She now had friends and a place she felt like she belonged. Though she still loved to study, she now found other enjoyments in life. She had even joined her new friends' band, the Rainbooms. What more, she had even learned about magic, and had learned how to wield it herself.

Strangely enough, that very magic seemed to manifest whenever she and her friends played songs together, usually causing them to, what they called, 'pony-up', where they obtained pony ears and ponytails. It was for this reason that their little cliché had gained the unofficial name the Equestria Girls from the other students in the school. With their power, they had solved several instances where magic had run rampant in and out of the school, causing various problems for all those involved.

The problem Twilight was currently facing, however, was not a magical one, but a personal one, and she let out another sigh as she glanced at her phone again. "I got a text message from Shining Armor last night. Unfortunately, I was so preoccupied studying for today's test that I forgot to plug it in, and my phone died. I got his text while it was charging, and didn't see it until this morning."

"Everything alright?" Applejack asked in her heavy country accent.

Twilight nodded. "Yeah, everything's fine, it's just… look."

She held up her phone, and Applejack leaned in to read it. "Ok, lets see now. It says, 'Hey, Twily, guess what. Tonight I asked Cadance to be my girlfriend, and she said yes. We're now officially a couple'."

Twilight lowered her phone. "That's what's wrong. My brother and Principal Cadance are actual boyfriend and girlfriend now."

They waited for her to say more, but, apparently, that was the whole issue their brainy friend was dealing with.

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, so? What's the big deal? Isn't this good news?"

Twilight wanted to scream out her frustration. "The big deal is that I'm trying to deal with the fact that my big brother and the former dean-turned-principal of my old school are now in a relationship. I mean, he told me he was dating someone, but he didn't tell me it was Principal Mi Amore Cadenza. Of all people, why did it have to be her?"

"Could be worse," Sunset said with a joking smile. "He could be dating Abacus Cinch."

Twilight nearly gagged at the thought of her brother and the former principal of Crystal Prep together. "Guys, this is serious. What am I supposed to do around her? How am I supposed to act? Every time she comes over, I'm going to feel like I did something wrong and was sent to the principal's office. And what about my Crystal Prep friends? How am I supposed to act around them knowing my brother is dating their principal? What if it affects my friendship with them?"

A light chuckle escaped Rarity. "Darling, I think you're overthinking it a bit."

"Like always," Spike chimed in. "But does she listen to me? No."

Twilight gripped her head, resisting the urge to yank her long dark violet hair. "It's just so weird. How am I supposed to act? What do I even say the next time I see them?"

Pinkie Pie rushed up next to her, getting a little too close into her personal space. "How about congratulations?" she suggested happily.

A frustrated groan escaped Twilight. "Pinkie Pie, this is serious!"

Applejack placed a hand on her shoulder. "Settle down, sugar cube. Just relax. I really don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be."

Twilight raised an eyebrow at her. "Really? How would you feel if you were suddenly told that your brother and Principal Celestia were dating? No, not just dating, but were actual boyfriend and girlfriend?"

The apple-loving farm girl's eyebrows rose up as she tried to picture Big Macintosh with Principal Celestia. She had to admit that it did seem a little strange. It had been awkward enough when her little sister, Apple Bloom, had tried to hook up their brother with the librarian/teacher, Cheerilee, so they would both have someone special for Valentine's Day.

"Ok," she conceded honestly, "I admit that it would be a little weird, but as long as he's happy, then I'd be ok with it."

If there was one thing Applejack could be counted on, it was honesty; there wasn't a single dishonest bone in her body. But would she really be ok with her brother and Principal Celestia dating, or did she just think she would be because it was a hypothetical situation?

Twilight sighed. "I do want him to be happy, and I really like Principal Cadance. She's beautiful, she's caring, she's kind, but it still doesn't make it any less awkward."

Fluttershy finally spoke up, her voice quite and uncertain. "I'm sure it will be ok. It'll just take some, um… getting used to."

"Yeah," Pinkie Pie agreed, as if the situation were one big, fun-filled game. "It's not like they're getting married."

Twilight's eyes widened. Married? Shining Armor and Cadance married? That was what relationships tended to lead to. How had that possibility not occurred to her? The very thought made her inhale deeply.

"Getting married," she repeated with wide eyes. "Getting married! What if they do get married? That's what happens to couples eventually, right? If they do, that would make the principal of my old school my sister-in-law!"

Spike rolled his eyes as she started breathing heavily. "Oh boy, now she's going to start worrying about that now."

Reaching out, Rarity comfortingly patted her hyperventilating friend's shoulder. "Relax, darling. You said they just made it official last night. Even if they do get married someday, it could be years away."

Sunset tapped her chin as she thought back to one of the conversations she'd had with Princess Twilight via the magic journals they wrote into to send messages to each other. "Well, you know, there is a very strong possibility that it will happen one day. After all, that's what happened to the Shining Armor and Princess Cadance back in Equestria."

All heads turned to her. Twilight seemed to stop her overreacting as she gave her friend a curious look. "What do you mean?"

Sunset gestured behind her. "According to Princess Twilight, her brother and Princess Cadance in Equestria are not only married, but have a daughter as well."

Twilight's mouth dropped open at this revelation. "A d-daughter?"

Sunset nodded. "Yup, little Flurry Heart I believe she said her name was."

"You mean…" Twilight grabbed at her head, "I'm an aunt!?"

Pinkie Pie suddenly popped up behind her. "Well, the you in Equestria is."

"I can't be an aunt yet!" Twilight exclaimed. "I'm not ready! This is all happening so fast! I feel so old!"

"Twilight!" Rainbow Dash practically shouted. "Calm down. You're not really an aunt."

"Not yet anyway," Spike added. "We don't know when that'll actually happen. It's like Rarity said, it could be years away."

He looked to Sunset for confirmation, and the red and yellow haired girl shrugged. "Yeah, it could be. There's really no telling."

"But just to be safe, you should start planning for their baby shower now!" Pinkie Pie declared, throwing handfuls of confetti in the air. "I'd be happy to help with that."

A frown crossed Sunset's face as a thought occurred to her. "No, better not. It's probably best not tell your brother and Principal Cadance what I told you about Flurry Heart. I probably shouldn't have said anything at all; it could end up altering fate or the intended future or something here."

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "But it's supposed to happen, right? I mean, this world pretty much parallels that one, doesn't it? It even has alternate versions of us."

Sunset thought about it for a minute before deciding that she didn't have enough information to provide an accurate answer. "I really can't say. There are a lot of similarities, yes, but there are a lot of differences too. Maybe the Shining Armor and Cadance of this world won't stay together. People could end up with different people here than they do in Equestria. For example, according to Princess Twilight, there seems to be a little something going on between the Rarity and Spike of that world, at least on Spike's end, but I don't exactly see that happening here."

Rarity scoffed. "Surely not. I mean, nothing person, Spikey-poo," she scratched behind the dog's ears, "I do love you dearly, but anything between us would be quite impossible." She flipped her hair back and clasped her hands together, looking dreamily up at the ceiling. "The man I marry will be handsome, suave, dignified, refined. Like… Principal Celestia's nephew."

Fluttershy cocked her head to the side. "You mean Blue Blood?"

"But of course," Rarity declared. "You've seen his picture in Principal Celestia's office, haven't you? Now that is a true prince." She sighed dreamily. "I do hope to meet him one day."

Sunset opened her mouth to speak, then closed it again, biting her bottom lip in thought. She had been about to tell Rarity that according to Princess Twilight, the Blue Blood of Equestria was far from princely, and had fallen well below that Rarity's expectations. However, she just couldn't bring herself to rain on her friend's parade, and decided that maybe it would be better for her to find out for herself. And who knew, maybe the Blue Blood of this world wasn't as bad as the one in Equestria. Somehow though, she doubted it.

"What I was getting at," she said instead, "is that the two worlds and the residents are quite different despite their similarities, so there's really no telling what may or may not happen."

Rainbow Dash glanced at the doors leading into the school, knowing that outside, the destroyed remains of the statue of what had once been Canterlot High's mascot stood with only the base left intact. It was that base that contained a magic portal that led to the pony world of Equestria, kept open by a magical machine Princess Twilight had created to keep the portal open indefinitely rather than once every 30 moons.

"I kind of wish we could go there," she said with interest. She imagined herself riding on the back of her Pegasus counterpart, flying through the air at top speed. "Just for a visit. It'd be awesome to meet another version of me."

She dropped her fist in her hand as she suddenly remembered something "Which reminds me. I've been wanting to ask, but I kept forgetting." She looked back at the red and yellow haired girl. "Sunset, you're originally from Equestria. Wouldn't that mean that there's another version of you walking around somewhere? The one from this world?"

And there it was, the unspoken question that would undoubtedly have been asked eventually. Sunset crossed her arms as she leaned back against the lockers as she thought about her friend's question. Truthfully, she had expected them to ask this long ago, but it had surprisingly never come up before.

"I've actually been wondering about that myself for a while now," she said truthfully. "In theory, I guess there could be, but I've never seen her." She shrugged. "But then again, it is a really big world. She could be out there somewhere and we've just never met."

"That would be awesome!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "It'd be like having a friend times two! I'd love to see how alike and different the two of you are. As much as the two Twilights are the same, they're both pretty different too."

A feeling of awkwardness fell over Twilight as she thought back to her meeting with her Equestria counterpart, her anxiety from earlier completely forgotten in light of the topic of their conversation. "Yeah, it was definitely interesting seeing a mirror image of myself, minus the glasses I mean."

Sunset nodded in acknowledgement. "Well, like I said, in theory there could be. But we've already established that this world is different from Equestria in many ways, so maybe there's not. There do seem to be people in this world and Equestria that don't have counterparts." She shrugged again. "Or maybe there was another me, but she lived long ago already, or maybe she's not even been born yet."

Twilight now looked confused. "What do you mean? We were all born around the same time as our counterparts. Wouldn't it be the same with you?"

Another shrug. "Maybe, maybe not. For example, back in Equestria, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are over 1,000 years old. I'm pretty sure Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna aren't anywhere near that old."

Rainbow Dash held up a hand. "Whoa, hold up! They're really over 1,000 years old? What, are alicorns immortal or something?"

Rarity looked horrified. "I can't even imagine living that long." Her hands came up to touch her face. "Just think about how many wrinkles I would have. I may be good at maintaining beauty, but I can only do so much!"

Sunset chuckled; that was such a typical Rarity reaction. "No, alicorns are not immortal, although ones as powerful as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna do have lasting youth and longevity; they are practically goddesses after all. For their lifespan, I believe it was 50 years for us is only one year for them. But look, the point is, it's possible that this world's Sunset Shimmer, if there is one, was actually born at a different time than me, or will be."

Fluttershy glanced at the members of their group. "But we all came together, just like the pony versions of us."

Pinkie Pie shook her finger at her. "Ah, ah, that's not exactly true. We didn't meet this world's Twilight until much later."

Sunset nodded in acknowledgement. "Yes, that's true. I think that there was some kind of magic at work that brought us all together, just like in Equestria. Maybe it was destiny, or fate." She shrugged. "So who knows, if there is another Sunset Shimmer out there, then maybe whatever brought the seven of us together will eventually bring her to us too."

"It'd be like adding Sunset's identical twin sister to the group," said Rainbow Dash.

For some reason, a small frown found its way across Sunset's face as she thought about the possibility of meeting this world's version of herself. She didn't know why, but it brought forth a nagging worry. That is, until Applejack noticed her forlorn expression and draped an arm around her shoulder reassuringly. "Course, no one could ever replace our Sunset Shimmer, no matter what world they're from."

"Most definitely not," Rarity agreed. "Just like no one could replace either of our Twilight Sparkles or Spikes."

The dog in question blinked. "Oh, yeah, I have a counterpart too. You said he was a dragon in his world, right? Does that mean that if I ever went to Equestria that I'd become a dragon?"

Sunset just stared. "Um… I guess. Traveling between the worlds does seem to change you into a creature of that world. So, yeah, you probably would."

"That is so cool. I mean, I love being a dog, but it'd be really cool to see what it'd be like to be a dragon for a while."

"And we'd all be ponies, right?" asked Fluttershy curiously.

Sunset gave her a smile. "Well, you and Rainbow Dash would be pegasi. Pinkie Pie and Applejack would be earth ponies, and Rarity and I would be unicorns." She glanced at her bespectacled friend. "Twilight… um… I guess you would be either a unicorn or an alicorn. Since Princess Twilight was originally a unicorn, I'm guessing that you would be one as well since you have to become an alicorn by earning it."

Twilight smiled uncertainly. "I'm not sure I can handle all that. We have a hard enough time handling the Equestrian magic that manages to slip through to this world, so I can only imagine how difficult it would be in a world full of magic."

Sunset chuckled. "Well, it's not for everyone. Sometimes the power can be a little much." Her smile faltered as she thought back to her darker days when she was a different person. "I should know."

Realizing where her friend's thoughts were going, Rarity waved this off. "Oh, psshaw, that old story again. That is soooo in the past. Besides, everything worked out. You even got to make up with Princess Celestia, didn't you?"

Her words rang true, as Sunset thought back to that day where she had returned to Equestria to seek help in lifting a memory altering spell that had made all her friends hate her after removing all the good memories of their time together, leaving only the bad memories. But as horrible as that incident had been, it had finally allowed Sunset to apologize and reconcile with her old mentor, which may never have happened otherwise. It was for that reason that Sunset would be glad to have gone through that hardship, and it had also helped her realize just how truly important her friends were to her once she no longer had them, and that she cared for them even more than she had thought she did.

"Yeah," she said with a smile in answer to Rarity's question. "I did. I'm glad too. Not being able to apologize to her had been one of my biggest regrets."

Suddenly, the bell rang, indicating that they were to make their way to class unless they wanted to be late. And none of them were interested in getting chewed out by Principal Celestia or Vice Principal Luna.

As they made their way to class, however, Fluttershy brought up something that had crossed her mind from time to time. "Um, Sunset, there's something I've been wondering about too."

"Sure, what's up?"

The shy pink-haired girl shifted uncomfortably. "Well, um… it's just that, I was wondering, ever since you made up with Princess Celestia, did you ever think about, maybe… going back to Equestria?"

Sunset stopped walking. The others did too, and turned to look at her. An unreadable expression was written across Sunset's face as she stared at the ground. "I would be lying if I said that the thought never crossed my mind. To go back and maybe pick up where I left off."

Pinkie Pie suddenly pushed the others aside and rounded on Sunset with a horrified look. "Say it ain't so, Sunset!" She grabbed her leather jacket and began shaking her violently. "Say it ain't so!"

Feeling dizzy from being rattled, Sunset placed her hands on Pinkie Pie to stop her. "Pinkie, calm down. I'm not going anywhere." She breathed a sigh of relief when the hyperactive girl let her go. "I thought about it, and I realized that Equestria's not my home anymore. This place is. It may be nice to go visit every once and a while, but I'm much happier here than I've ever been back in Equestria. It doesn't even feel like my world anymore, this world is my world. It's my home, here, with all of you."

"But what about your family?" Applejack asked. Being from a very big family that was very close, family meant everything to her, and she couldn't fathom not being able to see them whenever she wanted, let alone being a whole world away. "Don't you miss them?"

Sunset sighed deeply. "I said before that I was never close to my family. My relationship with my parents wasn't exactly healthy. They really only saw me as a way to promote themselves as Princess Celestia's student. She was more of a parent to me than my real folks. Besides," she gave them a smile, "you girls are my family. I can't imagine life without you. I love you guys."

"Aww, we love you too, dear," Rarity told her.

"Yeah," said Rainbow Dash, "no matter what happens, we'll always be together."

"Best friends forever," Applejack agreed.

"Group hug!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, and all but threw herself at Sunset, who suddenly found herself in a seven person hug before they lost their balance and they all toppled over into a big pile on the floor and burst out into laughter.

A pair of shoes suddenly appeared in their line of vision, and they slowly looked up into the disapproving face of Vice Principal Luna.

"The bell was to get to class," she said sternly, "not to start a wrestling match."

The girls quickly jumped to their feet and scurried away, giggling all the while, all thoughts of their earlier worries and concerns forgotten.