• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 7,526 Views, 111 Comments

Alone in the World - P0nies



Sometimes, even in a world of love, there are those who sleep alone.

  • ...
15
 111
 7,526

Without One

The moon had risen high into the night sky, casting a blue glow over the land of Equestria. Stars twinkled in the heavens as ponies slept, and the surreal moonlight lit the way for anypony out at this time of night. Most everypony was asleep, but one pony lay awake in the dark of the night. Twilight lay in her bed, a blanket imbued with Rarity's love draped over her. A pillow cradled her head and held the many thoughts that flowed through her mind, as tears flowed off of her pristine lavender coat and darkened the pure white pillow where they fell. Life had been taking a toll on her morale, and she was far over the point where most ponies would have broken down. She just felt so alone in this world. The strangest thing about it though was the fact that she felt alone in a world of millions. It wasn't just being alone that took a toll on her heart, but a lack of love.

Even in a world where love is around every corner, there was always a nagging sense of her being the odd one out. The one who didn't get loved, that's what she thought of herself. Twilight had seen even the younger fillies experience more love than she had, even if it was no more than just a touch. She wanted something more than just a friend, she wanted a pony who would always be there for her no matter what. Through thick and thin, and til death would they part. She needed somepony who cared for her just as much as she would come to care for them. It seemed as if there was nopony in this world who would possibly care for her, and that strained her heart more than she wanted it to. It was absolutely terrifying for her to think of being in this world alone, when others move on and settle down. Why was it that she hadn't found at least somepony who she thought would be that one colt for her? Almost all of her friends, except for Rarity who still sought after a colt in royalty.

Smarty Pants, one of her closest friends since she had been a small filly, rested at the foot of her bed. The eye still hung loosely by a string, threatening to fall off with every move of his body. Smarty Pants became enveloped in a purple aura as Twilight held him in her magical grasp. He gingerly floated over to her, tears making their way down her cheeks. Looking at her foalhood friend right in the eyes, she released her magical grasp and pulled him in tight to her beating heart. It was a magical thing to have something as simple as a teddy bear that had lasted through the ages and could warm your heart at the same time. He had always been there for her. When she left her parents on the train for Canterlot to enter the School for Gifted Unicorns, he was there to dab away at the tears that would run down her cheeks. He was the one thing that helped remind her that there was hope for a better future. But now that she held him, she could only wish for a future that wasn't alone. In her heart, Twilight felt like there was no hope for her to truly meet some other pony who would love her, and that she could love back.

“I love you Smarty Pants...” Twilight whispered as she took breaths through her sobs. His suede material soaked the tears that flowed freely from her eyes as she looked back on her life, and about finding her true love.

“I love you too Twilight...” Smarty pants whispered back to her.

Twilight's eyes shot wide open, and her lips stood slightly parted. Tears ceased to flow from her eyes as she slowly looked down towards the stuffed animal in her hooves. “Did you... you just... talk?” She asked him, not expecting the plush to reply to her question.

“Of course Twilight, you can hear me. Can't you?” He told her with a deep voice that resonated and echoed dully in the hollowed out tree.

Her eyes stayed locked on what seemed to be a lifeless stuffed animal. But somehow, he had managed to speak. It could have easily been Twilight's own imagination, but it seemed to real to be something created within her own subconscious. It could have been a number of things, but all that she knew now was that she had somepony else to talk to, and she wouldn't have to place her troubles upon her friends. Every time she tried to talk to them about something, they always assumed that they needed to talk first and give their 'masterful' insight for her situation. It helped a bit to hear their words of support, but she needed somepony to listen. Just to listen... she thought to herself.

“Twily...” Smarty Pants spoke up, “I am here if you want to talk. I don't want you to feel bad about yourself or anything, so I am here to listen, or talk if needed.”

“But... How did you know I just wanted somepony to listen?” Twilight asked. “Only if you were a complex manifestation of my subconscious would you know exactly –”

“Twilight,” Smarty interrupted, “I have known you longer than most ponies have known you. That should count to knowing how you think, if anything.”

Twilight let out a sigh of defeat. “That's true... I never thought of that. Are you sure you want to listen to me?”

“You don't have to even talk, we can just sit in silence. It is all up to you.”

Twilight titled her head over to the side and closed her eyes, giving thought as to what she wanted to do. Another deep sigh escaped her lungs as she chose the path she wished to walk on. The path she chose was that of both silence and the road of speech. It was just a matter of picking which to start with, and that was a truly difficult scenario. There was so much that she wished she could talk about, but wasn't sure about; there was also the things that she needed to talk about as well.

“Well Smarty Pants,” Twilight started, “I don't know what to think anymore. I want to love somepony, but I don't want to put my heart out there to get broken. It's just not logical to try and love somepony when you don't know if they love you back. It's like what happened with Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I don't want that to happen to me. I want to love, but it doesn't seem like the logical time to do such a thing.”

Twilight's mind went back to the memories of who were one good friends, and had even once loved one another. Rainbow Dash and Applejack loved each other. That they truly did, but over time they had let the minor things get under their nails. Applejack's brutal honesty, and Rainbow's arrogance. In time, it had gotten the best of them and they eventually broke the bonds they had once forged in love. Now, they rarely spoke to each other and could barely stand the others presence, blaming their painful splitting on the other. That was what Twilight feared most about loving somepony, was the pain. She didn't want to have to go through what Applejack or Rainbow had gone through, but she didn't want to be alone in the world. There would always need to be some sacrifice for what you want, even in that is leaving the comfort zone.

Twilight turned her head towards Smarty Pants, cracking open her eyelids to reveal a sliver of her gleaming, purple eyes. “I don't know anymore Smarty... I thought I loved somepony once. I really did, but I was too scared about what could have happened to tell her how I felt. It felt weird thinking about it, and it does feel weird to say that I felt an attraction towards a mare, but it is just how I felt. And inside, I still feel that way. It is just so strange that I am attracted to the same gender, when I really should be attracted to colts. Sometimes I just don't even know...”

“It's okay Twilight, just remember I am here. If you need to talk about it some more, just keep talking,” Smarty Pants replied in a calm, and almost relaxing, tone.

“Sometimes I just wish I could have told her about how I truly felt. But I was scared about what that would do to our friendship, and since she was one of my first friends here in Ponyville, I didn't want to lose her. She always made me feel comfortable with what I was doing, and she always gave me the space I needed. She was always so unbelievably sincere and caring to me, but that was what was to be expected of her. That's just the pony she was. If I would have taken the jump that day, and actually told her, how different would that make how I am today? Could I have saved myself the pain of my predicament here and now, or would I have jeopardized our friendship?”

“You never know anything until you try, Twilight,” he told her. “If she is your real friend, she will get over what you say in time even though it may sting initially. You may not have noticed Rainbow Dash and Applejack through your sorrow, but they are becoming better with each other. Time. Time heals even the deepest wounds, Twilight.”

“I... guess it does,” Twilight whispered. “I just fear for what may happen, instead of looking forward to what could happen. I just don't want to be alone anymore, Smarty Pants. And right now, you were all I needed. I just needed somepony that I could truly confide in. And for that, I love you. And because of you, I may be able to tell her how I really feel, but only when the time is right. Now isn't the best time for her, especially after her little Angel passed away recently...”

“Have you ever considered the fact she may need somepony to listen to her, rather than talk to, as I did for you?”

“I never thought of it that way,” Twilight said with a new idea forming in her mind. “Mental checklist, Item number one: Listen.”

Twilight closed her eyes, pulling and hugging Smarty Pants close to her chest. Now she had hope for her future, the new found wisdom from Smarty Pants clinging to her mind. She could never know what could have been, or what could be without actually putting herself out there in the first place. As her chest bobbed up and down in a steady pattern, a snore echoed from her mouth as she fell into a peaceful slumber. On the outside of her window was the silhouette of a pegasus, the rhythmic pumping of the air around the wings barely audible from inside of the home. This pegasus put her fore hooves together excitedly and quietly clapped them together in excitement, a quiet squeal emanating from her throat.

“I'm glad I could have helped, Twilight,” the pegasus said as she flew away, her voice slowly changing from the deep voice of Smarty Pants to the sweet and innocent voice of a pony in love.

Comments ( 111 )

I hope there is a second chapter to this :raritywink:

i read the thing i saw the space part i knew it wasnt rarity then i saw kindness and hit me like a nuclear bomb and the angel was somone walking around yelling its flutter shy duh
oh and the story i liked it

Okay, that was pretty good. Made me feel a whole lot better. Good job.

"...there was always a nagging sense of he being the odd one out." Do you mean "she" here?

I'll look for more now. Liking it.

Lordy this needs to be featured pronto.

1062573 I appreciate the the thought, but knowing me that will never happen :twilightsmile:

Just need some more likes! You need to advertise this story somehow. Go on every social site you know and tell everyone to read it! Or something. I mean, I like it and whether it gets featured or not won't change that.

Tracked, liked, thumbs up :twilightsmile:

1062954 Well then... I was most definitely wrong. And I am glad I was :yay:

THIS.
I approve.

It was a nice fanfic. As someone who also has love problems, I know how it feels. Right now I'm between loneliness and wanting to find love, but at the same time scared of having to suffer again if it fails. So resuming, I felt identified with this fanfic

Short and sweet wee story, and to top it all off, there was no mistake or errors that I noticed :twilightsmile: A moustache for you :moustache:

MOAAAAAAR ... if that's okay with you :fluttershysad:

Very sweet, with just a hint of a twist. If there's more, I am so there.

Lonely Is The World - Black Sabbath

/wipes manly tear
That was just... magnificent.

Congratulations. You doubted yourself, but woddja lookie at that there feature bar? Your name is on it. Your story deserves it.

I'm gonna write something on your page when I get home.

I love sweet sad fics :twilightsmile:

D'aaaawh. Sneaky little pony.

Ooh... I like it. Interested in seeing more.
Please keep writing, I'll keep reading.

Damn. This is probably one of the more touching stories I've read. Me being lonely probably isn't going to help my feels after this. :applecry:

Short, yet still managing to get me into that D'awwwww mood, please tell me youre gonna write more, I would totally read it if you did :D

1064438 On this story, it probably won't have more. But for new stories, I do plan on writing more.

1064071 Thanks :twilightsmile: And I don't usually get near the feature, so I just didn't really expect it.

1064219 I will keep writing, that I will my friend. :ajsmug:

A very beautiful, very sweet short story. You manage to get in a lot of emotion while still creating an entirely new world for the characters (where so much has happened between them) without dumping everything on us so suddenly, like many fics tend to do.

My only complaint is that Twilight's realization that she has to listen comes a bit too abruptly. It just feels like "Smarty Pants" says one thing, and suddenly Twilight has a grand realization. I would have liked to have seen that stretched out a bit more. Just some food for thought.

But yeah, very nicely done. Earns a thumbs up, and most definitely deserves to be featured.

OK, I'm gonna say this. And it's probably gonna hurt.

But I don't like this story. It drips with wangst. Granted, not as badly as SOME weepfics (Like "Deal With the Devil"), but it's evident.

The writing style isn't that bad. It moves the story along comfortably, but nothing about it is captivating or rich in its delivery and content. For example,
"
Twilight titled her head over to the side and closed her eyes, giving thought as to what she wanted to do. Another deep sigh escaped her lungs as she chose the path she wished to walk on. The path she chose was that of both silence and the road of speech. It was just a matter of picking which to start with, and that was a truly difficult scenario. There was so much that she wished she could talk about, but wasn't sure about; there was also the things that she needed to talk about as well.
"
Now, this isn't that bad, but it still kind of reads in a way that just isn't eye-catching or thought-provoking. In writing, this is "fast food". You don't want fast food, you want a FEAST. So what to do? How can we improve this paragraph?
Simple. We begin by analyzing the idea behind the paragraph:
IDEA: Twilight decides which option she wants to take, and decides to spill her heart to Smarty Pants.
Next, we think over how we can say or express this. There is the danger of not being descriptive or informative enough, and then there is the danger of phrasing something in a way that's off-throwing and confusing. Then there's the danger of putting far too much into one sentence. Here's what we could do:
1. Write the sentences as they come to you.
2. Afterward, go back and read it. Read every paragraph of your story out loud, as if narrating to a listening audience. (You wouldn't believe just how many mistakes you can fix through this step alone. If it doesn't sound right when spoken aloud, it's gonna sound bland, confusing, or just plain wrong to others!)
3. Think over what you may add to a paragraph, or what you can take away. When there isn't anything left to subtract, you have a great paragraph--and a great story.

Therefore,
"
Twilight titled her head over to the side and closed her eyes, giving thought as to what she wanted to do. Another deep sigh escaped her lungs as she chose the path she wished to walk on. The path she chose was that of both silence and the road of speech. It was just a matter of picking which to start with, and that was a truly difficult scenario. There was so much that she wished she could talk about, but wasn't sure about; there was also the things that she needed to talk about as well.

"
becomes
"
Twilight's eyes escaped Smarty Pant's thoughtful gaze as she thought over her options. What she could say, wanted to say, didn't want to say, how she could or couldn't say it... to lay out her complete insecurity, bare, before her inanimate childhood friend. She sighed, and began her story.
"
And, boom. We have the same idea, but at a brisker pace and a more involving text.

I think you have a lot of potential in the field of writing, P0nies. You just need some more practice, and this is a good start. You're decent enough already, but I want to see you improve.

Oh, and some final fridge logic. If Applejack and Rainbow Dash dated, and then broke up and went on bad terms with each other, would that mean that the Elements of Harmony they possessed would stop working? It's kind of the reason I avoid shipping between members of the Mane Cast, myself. If the relationship fails, their friendship might become damaged as a result, and then the Elements would become disorganized and discombobulated.

Why hello there. A twilight fic?
*drops everything and turns attention to the screen*
Will definitely read...
:rainbowderp:*notices the time*
:ajbemused:Later.

This story makes me glad to be asexual. Oh, and Twilight is schizo.

This, too.

Couldn't help it. Fuck the time!
*falcon punches the clock*
*reads*
cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20209878.jpg

I gotta agree with Arcane. This was a wonderful story, and it seems to have a lot of lead up for a sequel of sorts. One I imagine lots of people (myself included) would be delighted to read. :twilightsmile:

1064622 This here is very important advice for anyone perusing the comments! (so I wanna thank you too because I'm trying to improve mahself :ajsmug:)

One comment however on your last tidbit: for the purposes of this story, I don't think it matters about what's going on with the elements of harmony. I think stories like this can be a teeny weency bit more lax on big-picture details like that. Still a good point to keep in mind for more serious endeavors.

Sadly, I could totally identify with the first two paragraphs. :fluttercry:

Also, Stalkershy is creeeepy. Surely she could have come up with a better plan than this. What is she going to do if Twilight ever finds out about this?

:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

The only appropriate response. :fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::heart::facehoof::facehoof:::facehoof:

Make a sequel this was good

1064909 Bury the body, and build a house over the place where she buried the body, then burn the house down. That's what she'll do.

1065049
Well, I suppose that is one way. Though I hear that lime is a good way to destroy certain... ah, things... dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Fluttershy.png

1064909>>1065049
By Jove, you've stumbled across MurderShy's secret!

WHAT IF Fluttershy, knowing Twilight's compulsive need to console her friends, killed her own bunny in an attempt to garner sympathy and affection from Twilight? After waiting and hearing nothing on the subject, she goes to great length employing subtle, manipulative methods to nudge Twilight in the desired direction.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

1065095 And then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Okay. Question.
Was the pegasus at the end the pony Twilight was going to talk with?
Because if it was, I will give you my complete artistic respect for leaving that pegasus nameless, since it's irrelevant information, and so many other fanfic writers usually give the stupidest fake names to their characters...
But if not, then I'm not satisfied with the ending. But holy shit, THIS WAS SO GOOD. :rainbowkiss:

Smartypants is a SHE, not a HE.

So... Fluttershy finaly killed him. :)

MOAR

Sad on the start but that was a really sweet ending. Very nice.

So I was browsing around Unread stories to make sure the unread still works. I see this. Since Steam wasn't working, I restarted my laptop. I never expected to see it again.

It got featured.

So I read it and it's amazing.

The small insignificant things may become amazing if you just look at them.:twilightsmile:

I'm Super Soni-Chaos Kinesis Gaia and I remember it so YOU don't have to. Peace.

-SuperChaosKG

1065854

FLUTTERSHY KILLED SOMEPONY?!!:raritydespair:

WHY ARE YOU SMILING?!! THIS IS SERIOUS!! :flutterrage:

fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/207/3/3/fluttershy_does_not_approve_by_computersherpa-d41rn3a.png

Wait? Are you implying-

:fluttershysad: Slander. I don't approve of the slander.

Hmmmmm.

myorganisedmess.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/seems-legit-jpg.png

That... that ending.
D'AAAAAAAAWWWW.:eeyup:

Um... Could you please post more, you know... If you don't mind.
:fluttershyouch:

Login or register to comment