• Published 22nd May 2019
  • 4,020 Views, 324 Comments

Sun Never Sets - CrownofDissonance



The gates of the underworld are opening for the first time in two thousand years. It's up to Sunset Shimmer, demon hunter extrordinaire, to slam 'em shut.

  • ...
5
 324
 4,020

SP/03- Twilight May Cry

Author's Note:

Special Chapter 03

The true epilogue.

"So long, Sunset..."

Twilight fell.

"...And goodnight."

Through the infinite and abstract darkness of the demon realm, Twilight fell.

She fell until the cliffedge above her was just a speck, until all color of the mountain above became shrouded in shadow. It all faded to nothing eventually, but that was the fate of all who dwelled in this place, wasn't it? Such was the fate of the damned.

Twilight could only hold on to the faint hope that came with knowing that the human world was safe. That it had someone to safeguard it, even if that someone wasn't her. Someone truly worthy of the Sister of Light's sun amulet. Her left hand clung tightly to her own moon amulet dangling from her neck. This was hers, and so long as she had it, the gate to this place could never be opened. Her friends could be safe, safe from all of the darkness and horror of this realm, safe from her. That was all that mattered.

She closed her eyes and just felt the endless nothingness rushing around her. What would've happened if she defeated Sunset? Would they have traded places? Twilight contemplated the idea of Sunset being confined to this place, finding the thought unsatisfactory. Distressing, even. Not Sunset, Sunset didn't deserve this, she concluded. Twilight deserved this.

After what felt like hours of falling and steeping herself in self-pity, Twilight eventually heard the sound of water splashing somewhere below. She tilted her head up, looking down to see the ground in the far, far distance, but approaching at a steady rate. Taking a breath in, she flipped her body around and prepared to land, bracing her body as she grew closer and closer to the very bottom of the underworld.

Her boots passed through an ankle deep pool of murky, purple water and struck the rocky ground with a loud splash, Twilight landing in a kneeling position and rising to see a gloomy red sky above her and a bloodied, empty landscape around her. She felt the impact in her legs, but her body held, as did the hard infernal stone beneath her.

As she took in her surroundings, a small scrap of fabric flapped onto her face, and pulling it away she saw an unmistakable sun-shaped insignia on a yellow, leather background. That insignia, just seeing it stirred something deep within Twilight. A piece of Sunset's coat had followed her down, it seemed. She'd sliced it off right as she fell, didn't she? It went into the inner pocket of her own coat, a memento of her closest friend to carry with her.

A small part of her found this outcome regrettable, but this was the best way to ensure none of this would ever happen again.

There was a light from beyond the horizon that took her attention away. Both of her hands went to her weapon, which she'd held quite tightly the whole way down. In the sky, shining through the black clouds were a pair of ominous, emerald green eyes that struck at the demon hunter with memories of fear and hopelessness.

The Tantibus. The nightmare creature that plagued her existence from the moment it escaped it's confinement. With a swift, decisive motion, Twilight unsheathed her blade and held it at the ready as its two eyes grew nearer, and it's void-colored, empty mass became more prominent through the darkness. It was larger than ever here, here in it's own realm it was only growing stronger.

It would never leave her alone, would it? This demon left a scar on her that would never heal, but at the end of the day, it was merely a demon, and every demon could be vanquished. Twilight was more than ready to finally see the end of this cursed thing, but this burden felt a little easier to handle now that she knew the truth about the Two Sisters. The Dark Sister fell to the demons within herself, but she still wanted to protect those she loved in the end. As the new bearer of her power, Twilight would strive to do the same, and if that meant inheriting those demons? So be it.

"The last shadow of the Sister of Darkness, huh?" Twilight said, her entire body weak, but her spirit still strong and determined. "Luna was her name, right? If she could stand up to you, then so will I!"

Twilight Sparkle charged forward, sword held forward, her boots kicking up more water as she let out a resilient battlecry.

If she was going to walk the path of the Sister of Darkness, she was more than willing to do it right.

Comments ( 27 )

Have At You!!!

Teenagers, right?

This story would have been a whole lot shorter is Twilight had just asked for help.

nice work.

10717293

That's the real reason she wasn't chosen. At least Sunset keep contact with her friends and never hurt them on purpose.

10827974
Sunset wasn't exactly perfect with her friends either, mind you. She was just as distanced from her them at first, and for a similar reason of wanting to protect them. Its not until the last act of the story that she reconnects with them and learns to accept help from others.

But yeah, that willingness to reach out ended up being the real difference between them at the end there.

10828055

There is also the fact Sunset didn't betray them.

10827597
Did you actually just spam that in every new chapter?

10830484
Yeah, thats their thing
Every single chapter

Its the best, I love it

10830568
Begs the question: does staff agree?

10830484
no i just cant find any other words to it and and i could fit them on the 3 pages

10830923
Yeah no youre fine, dude
Youve been here since the very beginning and i always appreciate seeing you down here in the comments.

11277270
I understand, but at least it's cool, right?

11277275
What's cool? The name? No, I'm not personally a fan of a name like that.

11612554
I haven’t read this fic in a while. I can’t remember for the life of me what I said, in what context.

I’m sorry if I can’t be of help right now.

Comment posted by AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH deleted January 1st

11786520
Is a joke you blithering idiot

11787954
What don't you get? The title of this story is The sun never sets. And there is a famous motto in history from the British Empire that says "The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire!" and a very influential and well known song is Rule Britannia witch is literally a song about the British Empire. It fits perfectly with the title of this story. So what don't you get?

11788196
You literally just posted the catchphrase and theme song of the british empire on a story that has nothing to do with them, because the title of the story passively resembles something you recognize. Are the british just supposed to be funny by default? They are, dont get me wrong, but context matters. Its not just that i dont find your comment funny, im not sure how it was supposed to be read as a joke in the first place.

Also, important distinction: There's no The in title of this story. Get it right.

Fuck you I'm never reading this shit

11789589
Newsflash, pal: I didnt ask you to read it. What I'm asking you to do is quit cluttering my notifications with your unfunny nonsense. Word of advice- Next time you feel like posting a comment on a story you haven't even read; don't.

11789668
Get the hell out of my comment section. Log off your four day old account and go do something productive with your life.

Login or register to comment