• Published 20th May 2019
  • 7,656 Views, 568 Comments

A Pony Named Nope - Nyerguds



In an unremarkable city, in an unremarkable hospital, to two unremarkable ponies, a filly was born. A filly who was all too remarkable. A filly who radiated Destiny, and Adventure. Her parents did not approve.

  • ...
15
 568
 7,656

Nope Side Stories: A Tale of Five Changelings

So... whatever happened to those five changelings that replaced Nope? Let's take a closer look...


Changeling The First: Induced Cacophony

"Evasive action!" Prosoma yelled from her position in the gunner's seat.

Prince-in-Exile Allegro, formerly of the Grand Symphonious Empire, yanked the steering bar to the side, sending the spacecraft into a spin, and saw how the laser blasts narrowly avoided their hull. "Please tell me we finally got a lock on this thing!" he yelled back.

"It has some sort of refraction stealth shield! It's hard to pinpoint!" Prosoma replied. "Wait, if I combine the refracted images in the targeting computer I should be able to find a pattern... Yes!" She slammed a black hoof onto the big red button in front of her, and was rewarded with the silent flash of an explosion in the distance.

"Brace for shockwave!" she yelled. A few seconds later, the ship rattled from the forces released by the exploded stealth ship.

Allegro checked his instruments. "All clear!" he yelled back, and he let out a sigh of relief. He looked at the person sitting in the gunner's chair. His beautiful, brilliant, alien wife.

* * *

A mere week ago, he'd been hell-bent on extracting the raw magical power from his captive alicorn, and using it to subdue the entire planet. His father would be so proud! But, instead of giving him infinite power, the alicorn had burst into green flames... and revealed a small, rather pathetic-looking black creature.

He had been devastated. So much effort and planning had gone into this. He had observed the subject for years, ensuring she was absolutely perfect for his plans. And yet, after all that effort, he'd been duped like a fool, by what amounted to a cheap magician's trick. The old switcheroo.

His subjects had fled; they knew the wrath of Grand Emperor Fortissimo would fall upon him. He had spent vast amounts of resources on this, certain that the alicorn power would make up for all of it. But he had wasted the small window of opportunity during which the world's two celestial goddesses' prying eyes had been focused elsewhere. He'd never get a second chance.

Pity and compassion had come from the most unlikely source; his captive. Somehow, she had a fire in her blue bulbous eyes. An urge to do more with her life. To be more than a mere drone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And so, they hadn't just fled his father's wrath. They had punched back against the Empire, dealing blow after blow, building a rebellion to liberate worlds from the Grand Symphony. And he had seen the things he had been blind to before; how all those who fell outside the Harmonious Tones were treated. The ones that did not fit the Perfect Melody of the Empire. The False Notes... hunted, oppressed, exterminated.

* * *

He released the clasp of his seat, weightlessly pushed himself towards Prosoma, and kissed her on that cute chitin mouth.

Together, they could take on the universe.


Changeling The Second: Coxa the First

Well. Here I am.

Coxa the Queen.

Queen of all the Land! Who'd have thought that?

But, how did I come to this, you say? And who are those strange fellows that surround my throne? That you also say! Well. It's a long story. Come closer and I'll tell you. It all started... yesterday. And what a day that was! It's what I call... a Bad Mane Day.

* * *

Don't give me that look. That stupid alicorn had some kind of weird wavy mane. I'd like to see you try to get it right! And as if the mane wasn't bad enough, she was below legal drinking age, and I really needed a drink. So, I might've... changed the shape a little. Made her a bit older, sure, why not. Surely no one would notice. And, indeed, they didn't! For an alicorn, she sure wasn't known in the neighborhood. Better for me, of course. It meant I had no trouble at all finding a joint that would serve 'her' plenty of booze.

When I woke up, though... everything was different. The Land I was in was certainly not Equestria; in fact, when I asked the weird animated scarecrow, he just called it "This Land" and started spouting some bizarre creation myth involving two dinosaurs. And my mane still looked all wrong!

That was the start of Coxa's Bad Mane Day...


Changeling The Third: Tarsus the Informed

It worked! It actually worked!

Tarsus looked at the portal that had appeared in front of him. As Nope had said, all it had taken was looking like her, and Destiny would follow. He was about to embark on a journey the likes of which he could only dream of before!

Without hesitation, he jumped in.

* * *

The inhabitants of the derelict town could scarcely believe their eyes. An alicorn! One of the mythical fourth class of ponies, which hadn't been seen for millennia! A living being with the power to juggle the Sun and Moon would surely be able to liberate them from the tyranny of the Storm King!

Tarsus looked at the hopeful faces of the ponies around him as they told him all their hopes and dreams. His grin faded as he realised how out of his depth he was.

"Buck me. I'm the Thief pretending to be the Wizard," he muttered to himself. "I need to find me some other party members... and fast."

* * *

So much had happened since that disastrous arrival. Not even a week in, his deception was revealed. But he had been determined to go on. He had become Tarsus the Ghost, the uncatchable hero, destined to liberate the nations from the yoke of the Storm King! Together with his friends, he would succeed. He looked at the bulky Abyssinian, Tom, and the tall Diamond Dog, Dutch; the strangest pair of blood brothers he had ever seen. He looked at Thundercloud, the thin pegasus who, despite her frail body, could chuck down the meanest of lightning bolts. And he looked at Spark, the young green dragon who had saved him so many times, and who ensured he would never feel the Changeling Hunger in his guts.

Then, he looked at the thunderclouds ahead, and a grim determined smile appeared on his face.

"Storm King, here we come."


Changeling The Fourth: Shattered Expectations

Twilight Sparkle looked at the inert Amulet of the Two Alicorns in front of her, and looked at the 'Noble Pinions' standing next to her. She sighed.

"I should've known something was up," she said, sitting down on her rump. "The real Nope would never have agreed so easily. Guess I'll have to bother Cadance with this, after all."

The changeling slumped down and dispelled its disguise. "I only wanted to help..."

Twilight nodded. "That was your first mistake, yes. Admirable, but, quite out of character."

"Can I, um... ask asylum?"

Twilight rubbed her forehead with a hoof. "Sure, why not."


Changeling The Fifth: Escape from the Hive

They knew. They had to know, by now. She was the fifth one to do this. The Queen had to have her suspicions, by now. But, still, Nope had assured her that, if she acted fast enough, she might still get away with it.

She felt the eyes of the other changelings on her as she walked out. Some eyed her with suspicion. Other with pity. All of them were sure they'd never see her again, but some already suspected that foul play was involved. That the fate of the disappeared changelings wasn't quite as grim as others suspected.

She was all too aware that she'd been chosen because she was expendable. Practically useless. Barely worth keeping alive. It was a stroke of luck that she had been able to talk to Nope when copying her form, and had learned the truth about the disappearances.

But, the others had to have noticed the change in her. The change after that fateful talk, from fatalistic sacrifice, to hopeful volunteer. She didn't dare look back at the faces that stared at her. She just kept walking. She'd be out soon. Out in the open, away from the Hive, taking the place of Noble Pinions, and ready to be swept away by destiny.

Finally, she reached the exit. She spread her wings, and took off.

She didn't care what that destiny would be.


She would be glorious.