• Published 18th May 2019
  • 1,236 Views, 7 Comments

The Timepony’s Journal - Penny_Shavins109



The Doctor is in trouble and it’s up to Twilight to help. Instructions on what to do are written in his Diary, but the text scrambles itself to hide it’s secrets. So with no other clear options, she decides to read from page one.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,236

Chapter 2 - Gallophrey Our Home

Gallopfrey, a long, long time ago

It was the shining world of the seven systems, home to the ancient race of Time Ponies. From the snow capped mountains to the towering Citadel, it was truly the height of society. Gallopfrey held many wonders of time and wisdom, with many dark secrets delicately hidden within its cracks and crevices. But the little gray colt didn't care for that yet, he only cared about playing in the orange grass underneath the great silver leafed trees. His eyes still shone an innocent blue and his mane a vibrant brown.

He had tales to be told and several lives to live ahead of him. He had a few friends from the old academy that thought the selected Shoboguns to be high and mighty. He was always different though, as were his friends. Koschei was often devious, liking to play tricks on others through hypnosis but had an obsession with control. Hedliaellfrolithene was even more curious than he was, often taking things apart to see how they worked. Curious as a child, he often questioned the nature of several things, frequently scolded by his teachers as well as having low performances in class.

Then one day he was sent to stare in the abyss known as the Untempered Schism. It scared him as he stared in the vast darkness and the light of eternity. He could see all of time and space if for only a short moment. He cried that night, cowering in bed as the events seared through his mind. This was the Time Pony initiation, granting him his regenerations.

Everypony went through the initiation, either going mad, running away, or being inspired to do something greater. Like most, he received a little bit of all three. This only fueled his curiosity and his questions, especially as to “why was all this happening?”. This curiosity would follow him all throughout his lives, driving him to move forward each day.

Over the years, he grew to be a fine Time Pony, even joining the high council. But as he got older and grayer, he got bored with what was presented to him. So many worlds, so many people, all within his reach. But it was all sealed up by temporal red tape. The Law of Interference prevented anypony from leaving their TARDISes outside of Gallophrey.

He wondered, “Will all of my lives be like this?”. So many questions that even the Matrix of Gallophrey couldn't solve. What creates evil, where does it start, and why did goodness always prevail? He protested these questions to his fellow council members, but they didn't want to hear it. Just more listings of rules and guidelines. So he planned to ditch his robes and flee.

The old stallion sat in his private quarters, a room with silver walls and wooden oak accents. It was built only for necessity so all the random items here belonged to him. The wooden chair, the coat rack, and even the green bed sheets were his. It was much better than the typical bland style of the other council members. Later a knock sounded on his open doorframe. Only his granddaughter, as kind and innocent as she once was, still knocked politely.

"Ah, Susan, my dear, what brings you around?"

Susan had partially guessed the truth, but she didn't want to assume. Assumptions and jumping to conclusions always lead to some trouble or other. No, she wanted to hear the facts from the source itself.

"I've just stopped by to ask, are you really leaving? Running off into the vast stars like I’ve heard you wish about before?"

The old stallion motioned to the bedside he was sitting on, patting his hoof on the bed. Sitting down, she looked up at him with hopeful eyes, wishing for any disagreement. But he couldn't lie to her, the only one that still understood him. She still had that twinkle in her eyes and the same spark of curiosity that he still had to this day. In all honesty, he felt that she was like the little grey colt on the orange hillside. She had so much to learn, and wanted so much more to see than the towering spires that appeared around the skyline of the Citadel.

"In truth, yes. I'm sorry to tell you, especially since what I'm doing is against the law of the High Council. I'll have to run away from here, and I can't ever come back."

Susan was almost in tears. It hurt to see her like this. She was just an innocent child, not wanting to lose part of her family. He could almost hear her heartbreaking.

"What drives you to do such a thing? You have the life that many dream of, and you're just going to throw it all away."

He'd expected this question sometime soon. He had already prepared his answer, but it didn't lessen the pain. He told her how he felt that regenerations are wasted on observing that it should be lived by genuinely doing something on the other side of the glass.

"I know I have a life of fantasy, but fantasies aren't always what they're meant to be."

She clutched onto his frail hooves and stared straight into his eyes. They were full of determination as she boldly asked:
"Then why don't you take me with you? If there's truly something out there worth risking all of this, then I want to see it too!"

After a short pause, he smiled warmly and laughed. When she put it like that, how could he say no? Susan looked virtually appalled at him like she'd made a terrible mistake. He patted her on the back and got up off of the bed and ran to the door before looking at her still. She'd be leaving the rest of her life and family behind just for him.

"Well, if you're that eager, what harm could it do? I'm already breaking the rules, so why not break a few more, eh? I’d certainly be a lonely old stallion without someone to break them with"

Susan ran up to him and embraced him into a warm hug. This wasn't the end, it was merely the beginning of a brand new chapter in their lives.


Two days later

The Doctor punched a code into the multicoloured panel before him. Finally Hedliaellfrolithene’s obsessive rambles paid off, and having a tour of the entire repair sector willingly or unwillingly. He had to be quick and silent or else the Chancellery Guard may spot him. He knew that this sector of the workshop was essentially a scrapyard, only meant for TARDISes that were typically too faulty for safe flight. It was the only sector unguarded as most didn’t even come around here other than the mechanics. He was a part of the High Council, an elite, so it’d be quite suspicious for him to be in such a low and grimey sector. The door slid open with a clean, synthetic swipe, the dull Timepony’s efficiency at its finest.

Susan quickly followed behind him, swiftly exploring the line of old TT Capsules that were relics to her. The old stallion knew that there was no way of telling what a faulty time capsule might do, but to them it was certainly worth the risk. Walking up to a type 42 TT Capsule he put a hoof to its double doors, staring into the default console room inside. They were all within the same range of models, only a few digits lower or higher. He let Susan go in first just in case there were any guards behind them. He was about to enter inside with Susan, but a mare stopped him. She was dressed in crimson clothing and had a purple coat that stood out from her brown mane. He hadn't seen her before, especially when they were entering. It was almost like she’d appeared out of nowhere. Or nowhen.

"You're making a grave mistake..." she said in a dire tone.

The air was tense for a moment, growing ever icier. Had he been caught, would she report him? He felt his blood pumping, all of his worst fears coming true. Surprisingly she just leaned up against the capsule next to the one he was entering and smirked.

"Don't steal that one, take this one. The navigation systems are a bit wonky, external buffers are down, but it will give you much more control and has much less to repair. I believe the choice is yours, and don't worry about me reporting you. I'm merely here to offer my advice."

She then happily trotted away, obviously content with her little speech. The old stallion just stared at her as she vanished, unsure of what to do now. He was completely baffled by what just happened and especially where she’d come from, but it was still his decision. Weighing his options and taking her words into consideration, he made his choice.

"Susan, come on out. We should take the capsule next to this one. I have a feeling it’s much better."

She was surely confused by her grandfather's sudden change of mind. But in this case, it didn't entirely matter to her which capsule they took. So she silently trotted out and entered the Type 40 with him. They were all like museum pieces, beautifully preserved to hold their history. With a series of wheezes and groans, the ship vanished into thin air. He looked around the dull white room with its many round indents. He knew he couldn't keep his old name, it had too many attachments to the world he left behind. He was the Doctor now, and only his granddaughter Susan and the stars mattered.