• Published 23rd May 2019
  • 10,412 Views, 570 Comments

Timeless - RadBunny



When Princess Luna returned, the thousand years of banishment was a blur. It was merciful, in a way. Everycreature she once knew was there one minute, and gone the next. One stallion wasn't so lucky.

  • ...
13
 570
 10,412

Chapter Six: Bumps In The Road

“Good! One more lap and you’re done for today, meet at the track entrance when finished!” Shifting barked, watching the trainees trot onwards. A week, and they’ve already met the minimum standards. Not bad, not bad at all. Their combat appears to be a bit rusty but nothing unfixable. As soon as the new training equipment comes in that’ll help quite a bit.

As he watched the dozen thestrals run the obstacle course, Shifting’s mind drifted back to this morning, or technically, the evening a few hours ago. The exchange was causing no small amount of tumultuous thoughts for the stoic stallion. The past week, Luna had asked the same question when seeing him; yet today had been different.

‘How are you, Shifting?’

‘Well enough. Yourself, Luna?’

The Alicorn paused, a sad smile dawning on her lips. ‘If thou will not tell us how you truly are, we must do the same.’

‘What? I-I am sorry, Luna. I didn’t mean to lie to you.’

‘No, nopony does, for it is not a full lie, merely that of omission. Of course, such distance is what is expected; Nopony really wants to hear the truth when asking ‘how are you?’. Not usually, I feel. I would though, if you are willing.’

‘Only if you do the same, Luna. To answer your question again…I am coping. The mood swings are less, training has occupied my mind, and I am feeling a semblance of normalcy. I have enjoyed your company however brief at times. And you?’

The Lunar Princess blinked, words seeming to fail her briefly. ‘I am well, Shifting. The situation as of late has me troubled, but I am thankful a pony like you has stepped in to help; it puts my mind at ease. We have enjoyed watching your exercises; it is rare to see such skill nowadays.’

Shifting had grinned, ears perking up at a thought. ‘Would you like to have a sparring match sometime, Luna? If that is appropriate?’

He had never seen the Alicorn look so flustered, yet a simple nod was her answer.

‘Perhaps after I run the trainees ragged? Or tomorrow if that is fine?’ Shifting ventured.

‘W-we will check our schedule. We must go, Shifting; talk to thee later!’

Shifting’s brow furrowed, as the stallion realized a gentle smile was on his lips. He had noticed then, and remembered now with perfect clarity the beautiful blush on Luna’s cheeks at his question; a blush that was increasingly common now that he thought about it.

That could mean many things, all of which are very complicated.

And yet through it all…

Are those complicated things so bad?

The Sergeant shook himself from his stupor; thankfully there was no rush on analyzing feelings, of which were still a bit tumultuous. Instead, he had to focus on the problem at hoof. Namely, a problem named Bitter Blade.

Shifting sighed, head shaking slowly. The stallion held so much promise; yet the small remarks over the past week had grown in frequency and intensity. It was only a matter of time now before the stubborn Thestral challenged him openly. His two boneheaded lackeys were hardly the issue though. Perhaps that would come to a head today….

Watching the trainees, Shifting nodded in approval as he noted a pack of seven, led by Silty Stone. The mare had proven herself to be a competent leader, gathering individuals who wanted to train and practice together. She had also shown promise in combat but time would tell.

Still. Those are good signs. Ah, here we go. This will be interesting.

The dozen trainees from the first group began to gather; the other two-dozen on break throughout the underground compound. Shifting rotated them through with the same curriculum, but this group held the most promise and showed the most progress.

Well, except for three, the larger of them chucking about something or other to his buddies.

“Good job everypony. You’ve all made significant progress this week, and for that I am quite pleased,” Shifting began, pausing as a loud laugh reached his ears. “Is something funny, Trainee Blade?”

Silence greeted his question, the Drill Sergeant continuing.

Aye, this is it. Just like the dozens of other times some stallion wants to show off. Maybe I can turn it in his favor eventually though.

“We’ll be getting new combat training equipment this coming week, so then we can start- Trainee Blade. Front. And. Center,” Shifting growled, the afore-mentioned stallion trotting to the front with a lackadaisical sigh.

“Sir?”

“What is so amusing, Trainee?” Shifting asked calmly.

“May I speak freely? Sir?” the Thestral seemed to spit the last word, the Drill Sergeant nodding.

“Go ahead.”

“Everything about this is funny. You, the training. The rumors; they don’t know what to do with us, do they?”

Shifting only raised his eyebrow, but saw a few other Thestrals shift uncomfortably.

Aaaaah. Perhaps I should have nipped this in the bud earlier.

“Suddenly two thirds of the guard are gone, some of our friends apparently traitors? Then a random unicorn gets promoted and we’re just supposed to listen to you?”

“Yes. Because those are your orders,” Shifting replied calmly, but that only seemed to infuriate the Thestral further. The Drill Sergeant then gestured to Silty Stone with a hoof calmly.

“Trainee Stone, please fetch the other trainees. I suppose they should hear this too.”

Now it was Bitter Blade’s turn to look slightly uncomfortable. “What are you doing?”

“This is not a view just held by you, is it? Many have been questioning why I am here, the state of things, and so forth. Is that correct?”

Bitter nodded, now seeing the other two dozen thestrals starting to crowd around. “Well yeah. You say you’re qualified? And we’re supposed to trust that? I’m as loyal to Princess Luna as the next, but this just seems wrong!”

A few affirmative murmurs rose up, and the rising tension caused Shifting’s fur to prickle. “Wrong? I was interviewed, found of appropriate skill, and put in charge. How is that wrong?

“Because we don’t even know if you’re loyal to her! I don’t buy the rumors, many of us don’t!” Bitter growled.

The air itself seemed to chill, and many of the Thestral’s eyes widened. Shifting’s eyes glowed a dull red, the Drill Sergeant wincing as he took a deep breath to keep his emotions in check.

“I will say this once, and only once, Trainee Bitter Blade. To question a guard’s loyalty is to directly challenge their honor. That is a grievous offence, and I will forgive that trespass once, since you do not know of what you speak,” Shifting growled. Don’t press me, kid. Please don’t…

“Or what? Honor? What do you know of it? I’ve heard the rumors, and I say they’re garbage.” Bitter continued, a few more voices adding to his declaration.

“Bitter, back off,” Silty hissed, shaking her head.

“Oh, shut up. You’ve eaten up everything this stallion has spewed. I want to know what is going on. Who are you, Drill Sergeant? Sure, I’ll challenge your oath, because many of us don’t believe it! You’re in the night guard? How? There hasn’t been a non-Thestral in-”

“One. Thousand. Years.”

Bitter blinked, Shifting Sands standing up and trotting to stand nose-to-nose with the muscular stallion. The bullish Thestral was able to look Shifting eye to eye, yet he now began to quail at the furious emotion in the Unicorn’s eyes.


Luna trotted down the stone halls curious as to see the progress with the Night Guard trainees as always. As she neared the training area, a gaggle of voices caught her attention.

“Because we don’t even know if you’re loyal to her! I don’t buy the rumors, many of us don’t!”

What is this?

She secluded herself to the side, hiding in a rocky gap to listen in on the exchange. A simple spell was all she needed to put her viewpoint on that near the congregation of ponies, watching as the event unfurled.

“Let me address your first accusation, and then I will address the rumors,” Shifting began, eyes still glowing a sinister maroon.

“You have directly challenged my honor and my loyalty, Trainee.”

“Yeah? What of it?” the emboldened stallion replied haughtily. “What are you going to do about it?”

“Put your muzzle into the dirt unless you immediately apologize for your offense.”

Bitter chuckled, shaking his head. “Yeah. No. I’ve seen your training sessions. You’re great against dummies, but fight a real pony? That’s not the same. You won’t touch me; you’re welcome to try though. I’m betting all bark and no bite from you.”

Shifting’s head tilted to the side, the unicorn’s horn glowing ever so slightly. “Oh?”

Bitter opened his mouth to reply, and Shifting struck.

Lunging forwards the unicorn’s hooves sparked with arcane magic, sending him slamming into the stallion with enough force to drive the wind from the insubordinate Thestral’s lungs. Whipping his hooves around, Shifting sent Bitter cracking to the stone floor, legs splayed out to the side.

An arcane blade ignited along Shifting’s hoof, and more than one Thestral gasped as the Drill Sergeant sent the blade plunging down, embedding itself not an inch from Bitter’s horrified eye as the magical blade threw off sparks as it stuck into the stone.

“You will stay there, Trainee, until I say you can rise. Do you understand?” Shifting asked softly, and Bitter could only nod, still gasping for breath.

“This is a simple lesson, Trainees. Asking a question kindly will often yield a better result than insults and challenges, as demonstrated,” Shifting explained, shaking his head sadly at Bitter. “I’ve seen so many like you, Bitter Blade. Ponies like you turn into some of the best guards I’ve ever seen, or on the other end of the spectrum, robbing caravans on the road,” the unicorn paused, shaking his head. “Only one of those paths ends well for such ponies. Now then. You are correct; there hasn’t been a non-thestral in the Night Guard in over one thousand years.” Shifting stood tall, tapping his rear hoof twice.

A rune ignited around the pony, blue tendrils of magic peeling off the odd leather cladding that wrapped around Shifting’s armor, the stallion’s jaw clenched as he addressed the shocked group. “Until recently, I was Private Shifting Sands of the Lunar Knights, initiated into Luna’s private guard over one thousand years ago. The rumors concerning such are true. That includes my age and my intervention in the Princess’s assassination, yet how much that has circulated I do not know. I was there during the height of the Guard, when Luna lost herself to jealousy and envy, warped and taken by a creature of darkness. I was there, Trainee,” he now turned to Bitter, the other stallion’s eyes wide in shock. “And you dare question my loyalty? You know nothing of that. Perhaps the noble beginnings of it though, and because of your history. But of loyalty and honor? You have much to learn.”

The leather now fell away fully, revealing dark blue, almost black armor that covered Shifting’s torso, forelimbs, flank, and hindquarters. Emblazoned on the front of the battle-worn armor was the half-moon symbol of the Lunar Knights, magical energy still crackling across the battered metal’s surface.

“If you had asked, I would have told you, yet you resorted to challenging me,” Shifting sighed, taking a deep breath, his eyes still glowing crimson. “These are my credentials, Bitter Blade, and to anypony who is questioning. For one thousand years I have trained hundreds of creatures to defend the innocent, and walked the lands to do so personally. You speak of loyalty, Trainee? You cannot fathom it, not yet. Now get up, Trainee Blade, and listen to me.”

The stallion scrambled upright, watching as Shifting began to pace in front of the crowd. “For one thousand years, I retained my vows as a Lunar Knight! For one thousand years, I walked this land defending those who could not. Back then I used a forbidden artifact to save those I loved, and in doing so was cursed to watch my friends and family fade with age. But there is one thing that never faded.”

Shifting continued to walk, his voice growing louder and echoing off the walls of the stone cavern. One by one, the Thestrals began to stand at attention, driven by the spectacle in front of them.

“Do you all understand where you are right now? Your race swore loyalty to the Princess who many scorned and feared! You all hid from the world to avoid the persecution that followed, and yet you remained loyal! You awaited her return, and you stand in the training center built for the sole purpose of fulfilling that loyalty!”

With a hoof-tap, Shifting sent Luna’s symbol upwards, the moon shining in the dim light of the training cavern. “For one thousand years, loyalty and honor was all I had. I swore to Her once, and I never took that back! From the time I first met Princess Luna until now, I never forsook my oath! Friends turned to dust, creatures I dared to fancy grew old and faded, but one thing remained; one pony remained! I saw her every time I woke up at night and looked up at the moon, even as I blinked and watched towns wash away; One. Pony. Remained.”

Silty Stone’s eyes widened as tears ran from Shifting’s glowing eyes; yet the stallion continued, gesturing to the moon that shone above them.

“Some say she is but a goddess, a cruel and harsh creature, but we know better, don’t we?”

A few thestrals began to nod, a slight smile dawning on Shifting’s features. “Maybe some of you only are going from the history passed down from generations, or perhaps others have talked with Her enough to understand. She is neither perfect, nor a goddess far removed from reality. She is a pony, one who is more kind and noble than so many realize. Even as I watched everything I ever loved fade away into dust, there was one pony who didn’t, one kind soul who remained, and even now remembers me,” Shifting whispered, his armor seeming to glow slightly.

“Over one thousand years of wandering has led me here. One thousand years of wondering if I’d be remembered at all, if I had done any good in this world that seemed to try and battle against it. And now after a millennium, I have my answer. If any of you wonder now if Princess Luna is as the legends say, let me put that to rest. For every legend regaining her heroics in battle, I can say it does not do her justice. For every tale speaking of her kindness, I can declare they don’t even capture a thousandth of her care.”

He gestured to the thestrals, all of whom snapped to attention. “You are not only swearing to protect Equestria! I don’t know how clear it was made to you, but it was made crystal clear a millennium ago when I joined the Knights. That said, you are not Lunar Knights, but still Night Guards. However, the oath is the same!”

Shifting stood at attention himself, the rune shining a bit brighter as he surveyed the trainees. “You swore to protect these lands, and also Princess Luna herself! You swore to protect the one who raises the moon, the one who’s work gives light to every romantic night you’ve ever had, the tireless pony who comforts every foal’s nightmares, and the one keeps the shadows of evil at bay until daybreak, without toil or fail!

“We operate without much recognition, much like her, but with no less duty and honor! You swore to protect Equestria and you swore to protect her. That is the oath of the Night Guard!”

Shifting stood tall, walking down the line of Thestrals. “So, I ask, is that indeed your oath? Do you still stand by it? Yes or no? WHAT SAY YOU?” he bellowed, thirty strong voices immediately answering in unison.

SIR! YES SIR!

“I can’t hear you!”

“SIR! YES SIR!

“To whom do we swear our loyalty?”

“Princess Luna, Sir!”

“As daybreak falls?”

“THE NIGHT WILL RISE!”

As the roar of voices echoed off the cavern walls, a certain secluded Princess couldn’t help but let tears run freely down her cheeks, even as a teleportation spell yanked her back to the castle.


Proudly looking at the group of Thestrals, Shifting nodded in approval, hoof tapping as the rune faded from sight, the stallion taking a few deep breaths. And now they know…

“Everpony is dismissed, and we’ll resume our schedule in a few hours; Wait, you stay, Bitter Blade.”

As the others filed away, a very contrite Thestral walked up to Shifting, his head held low.

“S-sir, I’m sorry. I didn’t-”

“Trainee Blade,” Shifting remarked calmly, causing the stallion’s head to rise. “I am here today because of second chances. I could not rest at night if I did not extend such a courtesy to others. I was not mincing words earlier though, I think you could be a fantastic guard, and I would hate to waste that potential,” the Drill Sergeant added, a slight smile edging onto his features. “So, Trainee, get cleaned up and enjoy your break. There won’t be any record of this, but do not make me regret this decision, do you understand?”

“SIR!” The Thestral snapped to attention, trying his hardest to not grin as he then trotted off back towards the barracks.

Shifting let out a relieved breath, a simple spell summoning the leather wrappings to once again cover his old Lunar Knight armor. She never did ask me if I had it, nor to turn it in…

Teleporting himself back to his converted guest room in the castle, Shifting shrugged off his armor, looking forward to the shower to clean off a few hours of dust, sweat, and grime from his coat.

A knock at his door caught Shifting’s attention, the stallion trotting over to open it- “Luna?”

The Alicorn’s eyes refused to meet his, instead darting across the floor for a few moments. When she finally looked up, Shifting’s own eyes widened. Turmoil swirled behind her teal gaze, the Princess’s voice seeming to fail her.

“Did thou mean it?”

Shifting blinked, head tilting at Luna’s whispered words. “Did I mean…?” his eyes widened, the only logical conclusion presenting itself. “If you are referring to everything I said to the trainees, every word.” And yet I could have said so much more…

“F-forgive me if this is inappropriate.”

He was about to ask what exactly Luna meant, but the tight hug she yanked Shifting into quickly answered the silent question.

“Thank you, Shifting,” her whisper was barely audible, her sides shivering ever so slightly.

A caring smile dawned on the stallion’s face, and felt Luna take a surprised breath as he returned the caring gesture. He didn’t miss how the Princess then seemed to hug him just a bit tighter after that.

“You are most welcome, Luna. And it’s not inappropriate at all,” he then paused, not able to resist. “If anything, I’d say it’s also needed.”

A soft giggle met his ears, prompting the stallion to blink. A giggle? That’s new…

“We haven’t heard anypony say such flattering things in so long.”

“Flattery implies they aren’t fact and only said for favor. Neither of those are true in this case.”

Shifting could have sworn the Alicorn grew a few degrees warmer at his words, Luna taking a step back with a smile and a very definite blush on her cheeks. I could get used to seeing that, quite an adorable look. …wait. Adorable?

“You are perhaps too charming for your own good, Shifting Sands,” she murmured, rustling her wings briefly.

“I’m here to talk, Luna, if you want,” Shifting interjected, and the Lunar Princess nodded, the gentle smile on her face not fading.

“We will keep that in mind, but have some duties to attend to. Take care Shifting, and thank you.”

As the Princess trotted off, the stallion blinked, sitting down in the center of his room in thought.

Well. That was a thing that happened. Hugged by a Princess again. And that blush, I am definitely not imagining that. I’m surprised my words touched her so. Surely others must have said things like that? What would make me so speci-”

It was at this point Shifting’s mind ground to a halt, the gears of emotion and logic meeting in a moment of clarify. Such a moment made him walk to the shower in a stupor, and the stallion promptly stared at the wall for a good long few moments in the steam. His realization was summed up in a single syllable, a slightly unsure but definitely affectionate smile then beginning to meander onto his face.

“….Oh.”


Celestia yawned, stretching out to her full length across the large billowy bed. Soon enough, the alarm would ring, and then it’d be time for-

A soft knock drew her attention, the Solar Princess opening the door as she sensed a familiar magical signature outside. “Lulu? What’s the occasion?” Celestia asked, more than willing to sacrifice ten minutes of relaxation for her sister.

On seeing Luna plop down at the edge of the bed and let her face smack into the plush mattress, Celestia knew something had come up, especially as her sister let out a groan.

“We are troubled.”

“Yes, I can see that,” Celestia giggled, her eyes widening as Luna looked up, a blush on her cheeks. “Oooooooh, I haven’t seen that look on you in some time. Is it what I think it is? Let me get some tea,” she added, prompting an affirmative grumble from the Lunar Princess.

Author's Note:

HAIL THE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT! Shifting finding his groove again!
As always, thank you for the feedback, and I hope everyone is enjoying the story!