• Published 23rd May 2019
  • 10,411 Views, 570 Comments

Timeless - RadBunny



When Princess Luna returned, the thousand years of banishment was a blur. It was merciful, in a way. Everycreature she once knew was there one minute, and gone the next. One stallion wasn't so lucky.

  • ...
13
 570
 10,411

Chapter Twelve: Shadows

“It’s not about a pony.”

“Shifting, are you about to ruin another one of my favorite poems?” Luna asked, head resting against the stallion’s shoulder as they examined the old poetic tome in front of them.

“I mean, I can just not tell you?”

“….I want to know.”

“It’s not a fruit, I’ll give you that.”

That answer did little to ease Luna’s pouting, gesturing to a line in the poem. “This line has me suspicious.”

“Keep going.”

“And this, that could reference to something other than a lover’s feelings.”

“Getting warmer…”

“Wait. Shifting. You said it is not a fruit. Is it a vegetable!?

“….”

“IS IT A CARROT? THE ALLEGORY OF A CAKE, IT MEANS-?!”

Shifting began to cackle, Luna’s indignant expression too much to bear as he tried to catch his breath.

“C-carrot cake. Y-yes!” Shifting gasped, now leaning against his rather miffed marefriend as he struggled to breath.

“That is the fifth poem you have ruined for me,” Luna grumbled, pouting as she levitated a currently-offensive orange vegetable into Shifting’s grinning mouth.

After munching away the snack, Shifting’s grin simply got wider, the stallion gesturing to the book again.

“You know that rather intimate poem? The one with figures of speech? The one that would make anypony blush on mentioning the term ‘grapevine?’ Same author….”

“No, don’t you dare!”

“He really did mean grapes.”

“IS NOTHING IN THIS BOOK SACRED?!”

Shifting finally managed to control his mirth, Luna’s pouting features only making him smile wider.

“Y-you asked! I’m just being your loyal coltfriend!”

The two promptly dissolved into giggles and chuckles, a soft magical chime then snapping them back to reality.

“Time for the reports, I guess,” Shifting muttered, Luna sighing in agreement as they sat up slightly, shifting on the garden grass.

“Aye, but at least we got an hour or two.”

As the parchments appeared in front of them, the Commander’s eyes narrowed at seeing a few select passages.

“Looks like there’s a nasty bug going around; cropped up in Manehatten and Baltimare. Some form of the common cold it looks like, but it’s moving rather fast. A few hundred cases within a week. They didn’t bother reporting it until now simply because it’s not terribly harmful, and they thought it was allergies at first. But I don’t like that…that’s far too many for a cold, and far too fast.”

“Is it what the First Wisher warned us about?”

“I don’t know- but I’m going to kick another order down the line, and make sure the medical supply factories are still spinning at max capacity. No deaths so far; just a lot of tired and sniffling ponies. The strange ‘cure’ our wisher friend sent is still being tested in the labs; but they should move onto trials soon. If it works against this cold outbreak, then we know it is what we were warned of. We’re still getting a hundred doses every now and again, so the threat must still be out there; I’ll keep an eye on it.”

Luna nodded, letting out a hum as she read her own report. “We can only hope otherwise. Ah, good. Twilight visited my sister today, that should lift her spirits. Apparently, she was quite miffed when she discovered that you destroyed the Paw, something about the loss of a ‘priceless artifact.’ Apparently, she’s touring the evening ‘night life’ before heading back later.”

Shifting let out a snort, waving a hoof dismissively. “Eh, that artifact was only good for getting one thing. Misery,” he then paused, leaning over with a cheesy smile towards his marefriend. “Weeeeeell, maybe two things, the second being much more attractive and beautiful…”

“Oh you,” she shoved him over with a shoulder, words not hiding the blush on her cheeks.

“How are the Knights progressing?”

Shifting shuffled through the papers, then grinning at the newest report from his trainees. “Moving along. They’ve been training remarkable hard; impressively so. They’ve already run through the various lethal combat measures this week, and have been honing them for another few days straight. Silty Stone continues to impress me; she’s definitely squad leader material. Bitter Blade actually started teaching his first class of recruits the other day; he was floored by the offer, but so far, it was a good choice. So, I’d say as of now, you have a combat-ready squad of Lunar Knights. As of yesterday, I felt comfortable placing them on combat readiness, at least in case of low-level emergencies. I wouldn’t pit them against a manticore just yet, but they’re definitely above the average guard and well on their way to being much more. We have two squads of Night Guard thestrals active as well. Newbies and fresh out of training, but they’re just as qualified as the Royal Guard.”

Luna nodded approvingly, standing up as she stretched. “That is good to hear. Too long have we gone without Lunar Knights; and I look forward to seeing them improve further, as well as the organization expand. I assume you’re going to check on them now?”

Shaking his head, Shifting followed Luna back from the gardens, the two meandering towards the throne room.

“Actually, I was hoping to sit in on a session of the Night Court. They’re just studying for a test today; I already instructed them multiple times on the practice maneuvers.”

“It will be boring, I think.”

“Eh. Then I get to sit next to my marefriend. Oh, the horror. Oh, the absolute tragedy, such time wasted.

“Shifting….”

“Whatever will I do? Might I pine away in my heart as nobles flatter thy soul with meaningless words?”

“Oh no…”

“I shall swear on my Knightly vow, to top any flattery from such political barbarians! Thou should only have the best of words, the noblest of pleasing phrases to thy ear!” Shifting proclaimed proudly, the two trotting into the throne room.

“This is going to be a long court.”

“VERILY! THY EARS SHALL RING WITH MY PRAISE!”

“Oh, stars above, Shifting.”


Staring at the pile of treasure in front of them, an earth pony’s ears flicked back, the dozen or so other individuals shaking their heads.

“Well, the Emissary came through, huh?” one of them piped up. “Not bad for a few weeks of teaching ‘cons to fight. I’m surprised nopony got caught slipping that tranquilizer into sun-butt’s meal. Pity the one in Luna’s was defective.”

“Yeah, but was it all worth Barley’s life? That witch killed him for no reason!”

A low chuckle reached their ears, the second in command of the group shaking his head, the pony being one of the oldest members.

“You don’t get it, do you son?” he remarked, sitting down to examine a large emerald. “Oh, there was a reason- that loudmouth just didn’t see it, like you don’t.”

“What reason then? So he mouthed off! Big deal! You don’t kill over that!”

“Oh, but you do,” the older pony mused, gesturing to the treasure. “See some of those gold-plated swords? Those are older than our grandparents. That witch is from a different time, I think. Long ago, in armies, do you know the penalty for public treason? For openly defying and questioning orders? Death,” he stated flatly.

“Barley questioned her orders, integrity, and even threatened to tell some of the ‘cons how ‘bad’ her plan was. No, she had a reason; illogical by our standards…but if any of you lads had read a history book, you’d see the brutal logic in it.”

The group was silent, a few heads nodding knowingly.

“But Princess Twilight? Of all ponies to try and kill…and w-we h-helped….” a younger mercenary stuttered in horror, the full reality of the past few weeks finally settling in.

“Put it out of your mind,” the older pony barked, tossing the younger individual a golden bit. “You took the job you get to live with it however you see fit. Everypony has a limit to what job they’ll take.”

Another voice piped up, the unicorn staring at a rather large diamond in his grasp. “And how will you deal with it? What’s your limit?”

The older pony let out a huff, casually stuffing his share into a canvas bag. “Lad, this went beyond my limit the moment I saw a hundred of those misty-eyed freaks staring me down like I was some kind of hayburger. I’m going to toss my weapons and armor off a cliff, live out my days in peace and try to sleep at night. I’m done with this mess.”

As their second-in-command trotted down the mountain, the other mercenaries stared at the treasure. As the distant sound of a clock reverberated through the night, they knew the operation was about to commence.


“Shifting, don’t you dare,” Luna hissed as another petitioner left. Her Commander had, for the past five rude nobles that had entered, whispered exactly what their garb made him think of first.

Thus far, the descriptions had been less than flattering.

Decorum aside, it had been a fantastic way to raise Luna’s spirits. That said, it was exactly what she needed, the rude words otherwise carrying with them a bit more of a bite to her demeanor.

“…dead fish.”

A soft *snrk* left Luna’s mouth, the alicorn shaking her head. “You’re horrible.”

Shifting grinned, eyes then narrowing as a hasty report teleported itself in front of his face. “Huh. Apparently, there’s some sort of disturbance in front of the palace. Maybe some protestors? Any unpopular laws go into effect?”

Luna shook her head, prompting the Commander’s eyes to narrow, especially as some distant sounds grew closer. It was only when the clash of metal on metal reached his ears, that the Knight tapped his hooves, sending runes spiraling across his body.

“Luna. Your armor,” he hissed, then activating a small communications crystal.

“Night Guard! General emergency in the palace; report to supportive positions! Lunar Knights! Emergency in the throne room. This is not an exercise, code: Whisper on the Wind.”

The communication crystal blinked, indicating all parties had received it- and then shut off, a dampening field activating. Armor weaved itself around both Shifting and Luna; the Alicorn taking no chances. A helmet, greaves and breastplate attached to her frame, a sword with a blade as dark as shadow itself levitating in her grasp. The final pieces of Shifting’s own armor solidified into existence, his sabre held at the ready as the doors to the throne room shivered.

“You two, stand back,” Shifting ordered the two Night Guards, the recent graduates holding their spears with shivering grips.

“Stay close to Luna, and make sure nopony sneaks up on us. Can you do that?” he ordered, seeing two affirmative nods in reply. “Remember your training; I didn’t push you hard just to have you quail under pressure! Stand firm!”

The Guard nodded, retreating to Luna’s side with their spears at the ready, the doors to the room finally opening. Thirty strong ponies flooded in; the rag-tag group of ex-convicts having an assortment of weapons levitated or held in their grips. Their eyes were misty with a magical influence, each pony carrying a slight spring in their step.

“Helloooooo Princess!” the lead one called out, a burly orange earth pony with jagged pieces of metal strapped to his forehooves.

“Well, well, well! Five of you, over thirty of us? This will be quite a brawl! Now then, let’s have…some…”

A soft snicker interrupted the monologue, Shifting gesturing to them with his sabre.

“Is-is this all you brought?” he laughed, then glaring at the leader. “You’ll need more than that to make the Princess of the Night yield!”

The convict blinked, clearly not expecting such a lackadaisical response. “Uh huh. You’re good, that much I know, Commander, but you’re outnumbered six to one!” A familiar red crystal was tossed over, the anti-alicorn spell causing Luna to hiss; her own protective fields barely holding against the invisible onslaught.

“HAVE AT ‘EM BOYS!”

The ponies charged, a soft magical chime sounding in Shifting’s ear; a readiness signal.

“LUNAR KNIGHTS! Defend the Princess!” he bellowed.

Concealment spells fading, a dozen thestrals dove down from the rafters, swords and daggers flashing. The front line of assailants dropped immediately under the Lunar Knight’s attack, the weapons tearing through the pony’s unarmored backs. The leading earth pony took a swing at Shifting- but the unicorn’s saber easily ripped through flesh and bone in response. Silty Stone stood at the Commander’s side, the thestral letting out a deafening screech as she plunged two daggers into the nearest enemy. Three ponies at the rear line hefted familiar spears; the tips glowing with magic-

A bright light nearly blinded everypony, the three individuals collapsing into a pile of dust, Luna’s horn aglow with power.

“THOU DARE THREATEN US?”

It was a full-on route as Luna surged into the fray, sending five ponies flying with powerful kicks and punches. Two more were sent hurtling through the solid stone wall- the Alicorn batting aside spear and blade alike with her own weapon as fury shone in her usually peaceful gaze.

The Lunar Knights easily tore through the disorganized and lightly-trained crowd, the final few ponies throwing down their weapons with a whimper. Shifting pounced on top of one, his saber leveled at the pony’s throat.

“Your plans. SPEAK!”

The convict shook his head. “She’ll kill me!”

“I’LL kill you!”

A soft giggle then reached everypony’s ears, one of the other surrendering convicts nearly collapsing into laughter, eyes drifting across the room casually.

“Y-you? H-her? What does it matter?” the unicorn chuckled, demeanor not changing as the saber levitated over towards him.

“Go ahead! Kill me! Not like it matters!”

Shifting glanced to Luna, the Lunar Knights still standing at the ready. “Oh, I’d say it matters a great deal. You expected to kill Luna with this bunch? Do you have a suicide wish?”

A smile that showed off sharp, filed-down teeth greeted everypony, the unicorn’s voice deepening into a malevolent chuckle. “W-who says we were after Princess Luna?”

The air seemed to chill, the feeling of icewater being injected into Shifting’s entire body as he looked towards the Princess.

“Celestia is safe though, what do you…”

Luna’s eyes widened in horror- the brutal reality now hitting her full force. Shifting reacted faster, leyline magic pouring into his frame.

Per sidera lunam possum fugere luna me iuvet quaerere!”

The stallion’s figure surged upwards, raw energy pouring from the spells that ignited along his armor, propelling the Lunar Knight through a window that dripped molten glass onto the floor from the speed of the impact. Three words echoed in his mind as Shifting sped onwards, the Knight a shooting star as raw magic sent him hurtling onwards.

“Save her, Shifting!”


Shifting’s heart thudded in his ears, yet the adrenaline quickly wore off as he soared over Canterlot. This was familiar, charging towards an unknown battle with one goal. The only fear was that of failure- yet that had been conquered long ago. The other Knights gave chase; but their wings and speed spells held nothing to this ancient incantation.

I doubt Twilight has minutes to spare!

The location of the Alicorn was easy to find; a distant purple glow illuminating the area.

The train station!

As he neared the platform, the streets became increasingly crowded; what must have been over two hundred ponies packing the area, bristling with weaponry. The few members of the Royal and Night Guards were occupied near the palace, fending off a determined splinter group. A simple spell zoomed Shifting’s vision closer, the Commander able to pick out the details of the scene on the platform.

On the bare concrete pad, a collection of ponies was arrayed around a purple dome, dozens of others standing at the ready. Eight unicorns were set around Twilight’s shield, their horns aimed at the barrier as magic lashed out in an offensive attack. One of them held a familiar glowing red crystal, his horn likewise discharging a spell at the shield. Before Shifting broke the enhancing spell, he saw a single word leave Twilight’s lips, the alicorn’s innocent eyes wide with fear.

“Why?”

Shifting cut the spell, double-checking his protective runes and armor. A magical dampening field made his fur prickle; that would prevent teleportation; but his momentum wasn’t about to be stopped.

Hold on, Twilight!


An ethereal mare strode towards the eight unicorns, her own horn aglow with magic. “Report! How much longer?” she asked, a misty-eyed earth pony trotting up to her.

“Emissary! The Sun Princess has been drugged, and the diversionary force lasted about as long as expected. We should have the shield down within a minute, and then another five before the main bulk of the guard can respond.”

“Good. Now I want you to-”

Cobblestones shattered, stone spraying every which way as something slammed into the ground. The only remains of the reporting pony were a blood-stained smear; the distant ‘thud’ of a body echoing in the distance.

Armor aglow with power, Commander Shifting Sands turned; redirecting the final momentum of his flight to slam into one of the unicorns surrounding Twilight. Sending another screaming pony flying with a punch, Shifting lashed out with his saber- another attacker not even having time to yell as his horn and then throat was sliced clear through. The red crystal was shattered with a punch, the artifact sending shards flying this way and that.

“STOP HIM!” the mare shrieked, an icy spear forming in her magical grasp. Her eyes widened in horror as the unicorn tore into another of the mages; his teeth latching around the shocked pony’s throat. Breaking the unicorn’s neck with a twist of his head, Shifting tossed the body to slow down the rush of others; focusing on the last mages.


Four down, four to go!

Ignoring the incoming crowd, Shifting galloped towards the final unicorns; the two nearest now turning to try and lash out with magic. Their spells glanced off of his shields; Shifting sending his own bolts their way. One collapsed immediately; body scorched by the raw energy. Another gurgled as Shifting’s saber plunged into his chest, collapsing into the ever-increasing amount of blood on the cement platform. The final two managed to score a hit across Shifting’s flank, but the armor easily deflected the hasty bolt. His blade lashed out again- two more throats being sliced as the pony’s fell to the ground.

“Princess Twilight!” Shifting barked, causing the stunned Alicorn to look his way.

“I’m Commander Shifting Sands of the Lunar Knights! I need you to keep that shield up. Avert your eyes please; you don’t to see this. Can you do that for me?”

A simple nod was her reply, Shifting slinging the blood from his saber as he trotted forwards, holding the weapon at ready.

“You! You dare interrupt us again?” a familiar mare hissed, body steaming as though ice freshly removed from a freezer. Ponies now surged forwards, the Emissary beginning to laugh.

“You won’t-”

A magical bolt from Shifting fried the pony at her side; the mare stumbling backwards in surprise as the Commander tackled the nearest convicts.

Just have to hold out!

A cacophony of sounds reached his ears; the rearmost of the hundred-strong group suddenly turning to confront a flurry of movement.

And there’s Luna with the Knights!

Dodging a thrown spear, Shifting levitated the weapon in his grasp, ducking a sword that spun his way. Eying his target, the Commander pirouetted and send the retrieved spear onwards- sending it hurting towards the retreating mare.

A deafening shriek made the crowd shiver, an ethereal pony stumbling as an enchanted spear buried itself in her side. Ripping it out, she hissed as mist poured from the wound, glaring at the Commander in the distance.

“This isn’t over…” she growled, retreating down a side-road with forty or so of her group.

Shifting felt a blow glance off his armor, the Knight ducking another magical bolt. With this many assailants being on the offensive wasn’t possible, not anymore. With the element of surprise gone, they now had surrounded him- lashing out at the smallest opening.

Defend. I can do that! Defend…

He tripped over a body; one of more than a dozen that arrayed the battlefield. Blood soaked his hooves, causing the Commander to nearly stumble again as he parried a blade with his own.

Too many!

Shifting’s eyes widened as a pony at the rear of the group threw a spear- this one completely black and glowing with magic.

That’s not aimed at me!

His attempt to grip the object with magic was sloughed off by the repelling metal and spells around the weapon, Shifting’s hooves then moving on their own. The spear’s path was clear; aimed directly at the exposed neck of Twilight; the Alicorn looking the opposite direction.

‘Save her, Shifting!’

Luna’s voice echoed in the Commander’s mind as he jumped- bringing a hoof to bear to smack the spear aside. He missed- the weapon instead slammed into Shifting’s armor, the point burying itself into the Knight’s side. Pain shot through his frame, Shifting landing with a thud next to Twilight’s shield. Horrified eyes met his, the Princess’s lip quivering slightly.

With a grunt, Shifting levered himself up, feeling his heartbeat spasm slightly.

Poison? No, it was just in-between my ribs, maybe a mortal blow?

“Hey, we got him! GO!” a voice sounded, another two-dozen ponies now charging.

Shifting’s vision began to blur, and the stallion shook his head.

I only hope you can pull me back, Luna. Forgive me.

Sit obumbratio succedant ubi defecit. Laudare noctem!” Shifting bellowed, his eyes glowing a sinister red as dark tendrils of magic surged from his frame. The spell cloaked the pony in shadow, two maroon eyes glaring at the assailants as the creature in front of them doubled in height.

As spears of dark magic lashed out like extra limbs, ripping into the terrified group, Twilight’s lips moved slightly as she whispered the spell to herself, unable to tear her eyes away. The creature that was once Shifting dove into the nearest gathering of ponies, limbs composed of dark magic puncturing hide and armor, knife-like appendages slitting throats and breaking limbs with ease.

“May the shadows succeed where I failed. Praise the night…”


The Emissary led her forty-odd ponies through a deserted side street, her wound throbbing from the enchanted weapon’s impact.

Failure. They will not be happy, but what more could we have done? On to the next stage then. Losing a battle is not the war! But with the loss of our warehouses, the next stage will be sorely hindered. At least it has begun in one aspect, even if at reduced effectiveness. Wait….

The night’s sky was abruptly blotted out by a light emanating from Canterlot Castle; causing the ponies at her side to shiver. The temperature abruptly skyrocketed; golden magic diving down to line the street they were on. Windows were forced closed, and powerful shields encased the group in a rectangular funnel, protecting the oblivious inhabitants on either side of the street.

“What is-?”

A *CRACK* sounded across the night, the sound barrier shattered as a glowing orb impacted the street in front of the group, cobblestones melting into molten slag. Eyes slit and ablaze with rage, the alicorn in front of them glared at the assailants with a merciless gaze. Orange and yellow armor covered an alabaster frame, as though forged from a solar flare itself. The metal greaves, breastplate, helmet, and wing-blades poured forth fire as Celestia took a few steps forward, her mane an inferno. The tranquilizers in her system had since been burned away as she opened her connection to the sun, the raging Princess staring down the group of assailants. A bold pony lunged forward with an enchanted spear- but could only let out a choked-scream as the weapon and his body melted to ash before it even got close to the alicorn.

Three ponies yanked out familiar red crystals; the powerful spells activating with a high-pitched whine.

“There! Now get her!” a pony called; but the bravado was shattered by the sinister laugh that left the Alicorn’s mouth.

“You all have forgotten, haven’t you?” Celestia asked, striding forward to confront the still-stalwart Emissary.

Levitating the three active gems close, Celestia examined each, the only sign of discomfort a slight wince. Melting under her gaze, the gems shrieked as their magic was released, the artifacts joining the molten sludge underneath Celestia’s hooves.

“Did you think you were the first to try such tricks on me? Or the second? Or the hundredth?” Celestia growled, levitating the Emissary into the air. “Your masters have forgotten why they don’t set a hoof in Equestria, haven’t they? Then pass along this reminder!

The mare let out a shriek, fire beginning to burn away her frame, hooves being eaten away by the inferno that ignited underneath them. A slight strained laugh left her however, the defiant mare then glaring at Celestia.

“We’ll be back! You can’t kill me, or my masters!” she hissed, eyes widening in horror as Celestia’s gaze bore into her own, no mercy behind the black and fiery gaze.

“Perhaps, but I can burn your form, your masters, their home, everything! I can burn it over and over and over again until they get the point!” Celestia hissed, fire continuing to eat away at the Emissary’s limbs.

“Tell this to your masters! They can send their assassins, their armies, their legions, against me! I will withstand them all; but you will stay away from my sister, from Shifting, from Twilight and her friends. You will not touch them!

The ethereal mare let out a final pained shriek of agony, fire burning away her frame into mist, magic escaping her broken body with a thunderous *SNAP!* As Celestia’s gaze then turned to the forty ponies frozen in place, the temperature began to rise once again.

“Y-you wouldn’t kill us! We’re your subjects! Y-you’re merciful…” the nearest pony stuttered, the hateful gaze of the Solar Princess now locking with his.

“Mercy? You tried to kill Twilight,” Celestia whispered, her horn igniting as a solar flare surged from her body, swirling around her flame like a living animal. The directed inferno then charged, blasting through the shielded street as the stars above were blotted out for a moment. Funneled like water through a canal, the inferno burned away flesh, metal and bone, leaving not even a speck of ash on the glowing glass that had once been cobblestones.

Three ponies still stood however, legs quivering as a golden shield surrounded their frames. Fire still wreathing her body, Celestia stood over the terrified ponies, letting out a snort that sent flames scorching across the barrier.

“You,” she growled, removing the protective shield. “You three will go to the badlands, every tavern, every black market, and deliver this message. I want every hired blade to know what happened here. I will find the ones who trained you in time, rest assured. But I want everycreature in every slimy hole to know what I will do if I find them assisting these Windigos. Do I make myself clear?”

The three nodded, staring at Celestia as she encased them in a teleportation matrix, sending them hurtling towards the southern border. Taking a deep breath, the ruler let the flames bleed from her frame, her magic removing the ash and reforming the warped streets, cobblestones taking place of a pure-glass road.

The golden shields were then removed; any curious inhabitants that then looked outside would simply see their ruler calmly trotting down the streets towards the train station, the only remnant of the encounter having been a strange hum outside of their homes.


Luna’s sides heaved, her sword dripping with blood as she surveyed the surviving ponies. No more than five remained; herself and the Lunar Knights sparing no quarter as the misty-eyed group had attacked with reckless abandon. They knew there was nothing to lose- and they had been correct.

“Princess!” Silty Stone called out, the capable Thestral’s armor stained with blood, walking with a slight limp.

“We have an issue at the train station. It’s the Commander…”

Luna galloped towards the platform; and her eyes widened in horror. Twilight’s shield was no longer active, but the Alicorn was encased in a familiar rotating circle of tan shields. Standing next to her, and in front of dozens of mutilated bodies, the shadowy figure of Shifting stood, red eyes looking over the gory scene.

“Oh no,” Luna whispered, sliding the bodies aside with her magic. Standing in front of Shifting, Luna peered into the eyes curiously, trying to keep her rising emotions in check.

“What’s wrong with him?” Silty asked.

“He used one of the last resort spells,” Luna explained, seeing Twilight’s limbs shiver slightly, the mare beginning to go into shock. “Lunar Knights are only taught to use these spells if all other means have failed. This spell specifically can prevent a mortal wound from taking hold, and utilizes negative emotion to power through any obstacle. Shifting has a thousand years of such things; so I am not surprised this was the result.”

Luna then paused, and her ears flattened. “However, there is no guarantee that the pony afflicted will be broken from the spell. They may fade away into nothingness, if they cannot be snapped out of the trance. That is why this spell is rarely used.”

“Protect Princess Twilight,” the shadowy figure rumbled, the shield spell around Twilight glowing briefly.

“And you did, my noble Knight,” Luna remarked; and her heart lifted on seeing the red eyes focus on her, if for but a moment.

“The battle is over, at least for now, Commander. Return to us. That is an order from the Princess of the Night.”

“We cannot.”

Luna blinked, staring at the pony in surprise. “Why not?”

“We are wounded, perhaps mortally so,” Shifting rumbled, prompting Luna’s breath to catch in her throat.

“I will not let you die.”

“You cannot promise that.”

“Yet I will!” Luna shouted, taking a few deep breaths. Reaching a hoof over, she rested it against the shadow-pony’s cheek, dropping her voice to barely a whisper. “Shifting, please, come back to me. If you must leave this world, don’t go like this.”

Spreading from where her hoof touched, solid fur and armor began to return, the shadow-flesh fleeing.

“Perhaps…” Shifting mused, the shadows continuing to bleed from his frame until the battered Knight was standing in front of the Princess. The wound on his side now dripped with blood, the head of the spear still lodged halfway into his armor.

Luna caught Shifting as he teetered on his hooves, the tan shields around Twilight vanishing. The final words whispered from Shifting’s mouth had Luna’s eyes widen, the Alicorn gently placing Shifting against the concrete.

“What did he say?” Silty muttered, Shifting’s horn glowing briefly.

“Is…he still breathing?” Twilight whispered, Luna standing over Shifting’s prone form.

“He has activated the spell- but lacks the clarity to see it through. Stand back!” Luna whispered, voice then rising to a sharp command, her horn igniting. A pool of moonlight centered around Shifting, the cobblestones cracking underneath Luna’s hooves. The light on Shifting grew, increasing to an intensity that was painful to look at.

Cor meum audit et lunae tuam: et dedit eam!” Luna whispered, magic swirling around her frame as the alicorn spread her wings, floating off the ground slightly. Energy poured into Shifting’s body; white fingers of energy diving into the wound and making the spearhead fly out with a fair amount of force. The stallion’s armor groaned under the strain; its own magic being drained by the spell.

And then it was completed, Shifting lying on the concrete as his sides rose and fell evenly.

“You’re not leaving us yet, Shifting,” Luna whispered, reaching down to nuzzle her coltfriend’s head with her own, swiping a few tears from her eyes.

“What is that spell?” Twilight asked, limbs still shivering as she sought to ignore the gory scene around them.

“The Heart of the Moon, an ancient and powerful spell I’ve only seen performed a few times. It is yet another one of the many last-resort incantations my ancient Knights knew,” Luna relayed, calmly continuing to clear away the bodies, at least off to the side so they were out of Twilight’s immediate sight. She then returned to gently rest a hoof against Shifting’s shoulder.

“It uses the owner’s own life-force to heal wounds. A young pony could survive a mortal wound- but would be twice-again aged. I’ve never helped cast it on somepony else however, not in this manner.”

Twilight’s ears flattened, looking to Shifting briefly. “So now…he’ll die earlier?”

To their surprise, Shifting chuckled, wincing as he slowly stood up. “Oh, come now, you’re a smart one, Princess. What is infinity minus fifty?” he grunted, letting out a hiss as Luna wrapped him up in a hug.

“Hey there Luna. Breathing!” he gasped.

“Sorry! We…I’m just glad you’re back with us,” Luna admitted, then looking over to see Twilight’s stunned expression.

“Wait. So…”

Shifting removed his battered armor, looking at his side, where no evidence of the wound was visible. “I’m ageless, Twilight, faux-ascended if it were. I just lost twenty years of my never-ending life. Again, you can subtract as much as you want from infinity. That said….” the stallion winced, taking a deep breath as the various other wounds across his body began to ache. “That was a one-time use, from what I’ve understood. I’ve never had to use that spell, but looked into it aplenty. If I’m right, Luna- there will be incredible resistance if I or you try to cast it again. Give that a shot.”

Luna’s horn lit up- the beginnings of the spell waving over to Shifting, and promptly rebounding to explode like a firework above their head.

“Thought so. But, I’m just happy it worked,” Shifting staggered forward to rest his forehead against Luna’s an exhausted but happy smile on his features. “And I’m glad you brought me back.”

“Twilight!” a different voice called, a familiar alabaster figure trotting closer. The younger Alicorn was promptly wrapped up in a hug, Celestia holding Twilight close as she began to sob. “Shhh. Let’s get you out of here…”

Nodding to her sister, Luna’s eyes softened at seeing Celestia smile slightly, teleporting Twilight and herself to the distant Ponyville castle.

Still leaning against Luna, Shifting let out a breath at seeing the blood-soaked battleground in front of them.

“Not exactly the best date location by far,” Shifting mused, then weakly waving to Silty Sone. “You all, you performed fantastically,” he remarked, nodding slowly. “I’ll expect a full report in the next few days, after I stop seeing double.”

“I’ll make sure me and my twin have matching reports, Sir. Get well,” Silty replied, then trotting off as Celestia’s Legionaries came upon the scene, taking over the clean-up.

“Let’s get you to the doctors, Shifting,” Luna whispered, starting to power up a spell. “And you are sure there are no side-effects from that healing spell? I don’t…..”

“Luna,” Shifting whispered, reaching up to give her a tender kiss on the lips. “When I said I researched it, I meant that I understood how that spell works in every way, shape, and form. I’m not going anywhere, now, or in a thousand years. Of that I promise you. The only thing that spell did was heal my wound; and I think your infusion of magic erased the already-remote possibility of a toll on my age.”

The stallion leaned on her shoulder, the larger alicorn wrapping a wing around her coltfriend protectively. “So, thank you, Luna.”

“Don’t you dare thank me, not after all you’ve done.”

“…then…you’re welcome?”

Luna let out a snort, a slight smile twitching at her mouth as the pair vanished from the train platform. The guards continued to work, only a few ponies noticing the gory details as the remnants of the battle were scrubbed away before the majority of the city could get a close look.

Author's Note:

WELL DANG! GO SHIFTING GO!

The Windigos make their big push; and we get to see our Knight in action! Quite a price to pay though, looks like that paw came in handy after all!
....I will not apologize for that pun.
The idea for the tidbit about Twilight's horror concerning the paw was from Lore Horse btw!

And ooooh boy. They went after Twilight. Celestia at full power....
Stay tuned for the final chapter, and the kickoff of the sequel (Will be released the same day.)

As always, feedback is appreciated!