• Published 12th May 2019
  • 310 Views, 3 Comments

Letters from the Front - TheEighthDayofNight



Even ponies at home feel the effects of war. Letters sent home are their only method of communication with distant loved ones.

  • ...
2
 3
 310

The Third Letter

Bright Shine wanted to scream in anger. A drawing board that she was considering putting through a window sat in front of her, a series of designs covering the paper. If she thought she was stressed before, it didn’t compare to the pressure now. Not only was her baking company one of two in Canterlot receiving an extra sugar ration just for Hearth’s Warming, but now Princess Celestia herself had requested a full order of cupcakes for a small party she was hosting in the castle. So now, Bright Shine was under an immense amount of pressure to come up with a design that represented the harmony of the holiday. Every pony in Canterlot was going to see the cupcake designs she put out, and if they were anything less than perfect, at best she would be blacklisted from baking.

At worse…

Bright Shine rubbed her forehead with her hooves, trying to bring her mind back to the task at hoof. She had managed to create three different designs, but none of them screamed ‘perfection’. The first was a classic before Nightmare Moon, a simple split between a crescent moon and a rising sun. Given the current circumstances, this was her least favorite design, but it might be enough to impress the princess specifically. The second design was also a slight twist on a common tradition, with the emblems of the three pony tribes splitting the cupcake evenly. It matched the holiday perfectly, but it didn’t feel special, and while it would likely sell fine with the average pony, it wouldn’t wow Princess Celestia.

The third design was an ornate version of Princess Celestia’s cutie mark, a sun with wrapping layers of yellow icing creating a picture of a sunny spring day. It was a peaceful scene, but Bright Shine felt that something was off about it, something she couldn’t quite put her hoof on. She groaned in frustration, looking back at her discarded drawings, briefly considering if she should unravel some of the spent paper and dive deeper into the ideas she had only half-attempted before giving up.

A knock at the door interrupted her train of thought, and she looked at the clock on the wall. It was mail time, but it had only been a week since the last letter. Bright Shine paled at the implication and rushed to the door, quickly opening it.

White Wing smiled widely.

“Afternoon Mrs. Shine! Bet you’re surprised to see this old codger again so soon eh?”

She smiled faintly; her eyes locked onto his mail bag. She gulped and looked at the mail pony’s smiling face.

“Is it…?”

White Wing’s smile fell just a little as he thought about her meaning. He quickly gasped and started rifling through his mail bag, pulling out a white envelope.

“Oh no, no, no, Mrs. Shine! Ain’t nothin’ like that. Regular old letter, same as usual.”

He quickly hoofed over the envelope and Bright Shine sighed with relief at the sight of the same terrible hoof writing. White Wing rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.

“Sorry about that Mrs. Shine. I was just as surprised as you when I saw another one so soon, but it ain’t nothin’ bad, I promise. I know what them letters look like. Celestia has graced me to not have to deliver one yet. I can’t imagine how that feels.”

Bright Shine nodded.

“I hope neither of us ever find out White Wing. Would you like to come inside for some tea?”

“That’s mighty kind of you Mrs. Shine.” He twirled his mustache for a moment but her shrugged and smiled. “Sure, I’ve got a light day to day. A cup or two won’t hurt.”

Bright Shine smiled.

“Great! I’ll put on the kettle.”

She closed the door behind White Wing as he entered. She went to the kitchen, wanting desperately to tear open the letter and read its contents. she had never received letters so quickly before, and usually getting them back to back meant that something had went horribly wrong.

“A fine home you got here Mrs. Shine,” White Wing called from the living room.

Bright Shine set the letter on the table and filled the tea kettle with water.

“Thank you,” she said in response. “It isn’t the fanciest house in Canterlot, but Star Chaser and I like how homey it feels.”

She set the kettle on the stove and left it to boil, walking back to the living room. White Wing was staring intently at her drawing board, his hoof on his chin as he stared at the different cupcake designs.

“You make these Mrs. Shine?” he asked.

She sighed and nodded.

“Yes, but I don’t really like any of them. It’s like they're all pieces of a bigger puzzle, but I can’t seem to put it together.”

White Wing grunted.

“If you don’t mind me askin’, what do you like about each one?”

Bright Shine approached the board. Pointing at the first design she said,

“I like the idea behind this one, since Hearth’s Warming is all about harmony, and what is more harmonious than day and night? But with the war… I just don’t see anypony liking anything that so much hints at nighttime. Myself included.”

She continued to the second design.

“This one is a classic, and I can guarantee it will be a business success, but these cupcakes are going to be served to Princess Celestia! I just don’t want them to be same thing as every year.”

She sighed and pointed at the third design.

“This one I designed myself. It’s Princess Celestia’s cutie mark made into a sunny day, but I don’t know how it fits into the ‘harmony’ spirit. I guess I could argue that she keeps Equestria harmonious, but… it just doesn’t feel complete.”

White Wing remained silent for a moment after Bright Shine finished. He stroked his mustache for a moment, and Bright Shine couldn’t help but notice her tail flick in nervousness, as if Princess Celestia herself was judging her designs. After a minute or two of contemplation, White Wing asked;

“Now I’m just a mail pony and don’t know a thing about designing nothing, but could I give you what I’m thinkin’ about?”

Bright Shine nodded.

“Any help would be appreciated White Wing. I really need to figure something out and having a fresh perspective might just be the thing I need.”

White Wing pointed at the second design.

“Welp, to start I think you’re right. This one ain’t nothin’ special if you don’t mind me sayin’. I seen it every year since I’ve been a mail pony, and even before that. So, if you’re askin’ me, that one is off the table.”

Bright Shine nodded in agreement.

“That’s what I was thinking too. I know my boss might be happy, but I want them to stand out, to make ponies stop and stare.”

White Wing chuckled.

“I imagine that whatever you come up with, that’s gonna happen anyway Mrs. Shine. I ain’t never known you to make a bad batch of cupcakes.”

Bright Shine laughed with him, her mind flashing back briefly to a certain tray of celebration cupcakes she had scorched. White Wing pointed to the third design.

“Have you thought about doing this for Princess Luna too?”

Bright Shine paused. She hadn’t heard anypony refer to Nightmare Moon as Princess Luna since, well, she had become Nightmare Moon. Briefly she became suspicious of the mail pony, her thoughts screaming at her that he was a spy sent by the wayward princess; but then her mind quickly squashed that impulse. White Wing had delivered their mail for years, though she had only gotten closer to him when the mail became her only lifeline to Star Chaser. So, no, not a spy.

She pondered his words and stared at the design. She could picture it, a mix of deep blue and purples icings with white sprinkles as the stars. At the center would be Princess Luna’s cutie mark, a crescent moon.

A flash of inspiration hit Bright Shine like a runaway cart as she scrambled to find an unused sheet of paper. She began to scribble on the sheet, ignoring the splotches of ink as she hastily wrote down her idea before it vanished. She would design a cupcake of Princess Luna’s cutie mark, and then she could use the first design on a larger scale… As she laid out the new design she said,

“You’re a genius White Wing, an absolute genius!”

White Wing ruffled the carpet bashfully with his hoof.

“Aw it ain’t nothin’ Mrs. Shine. Just glad I could help.”

Bright Shine dropped the quill from her magic and lifted up the rough sketch of her new design. she could hammer out the details later, but as she looked at the ink splotched mess of paper, she new it was exactly what she wanted it to be. She tackled White Wing in a hug.

“Oh thank you White Wing!” She squeezed him tightly. “This is going to be perfect! Every pony is going to love it!”

White Wing blushed.

“Ain’t nothin’ Mrs. Shine,” he repeated. “I’m just a bit surprised though.”

Bright Shine moved back a step. She used her magic to pin the new design underneath the others, while she looked at White Wing questioningly.

“Surprised?” she echoed.

He rubbed the back of his head and became suddenly focused on the carpet.

“I’m sorry Mrs. Shine I just thought… Well with the war and all.”

He paused before he huffed and met her eyes.

“With the war and Nightmare Moon and all that, I’m just a bit surprised that you ain’t a bit more angry at me for suggesting using Princess Luna’s cutie mark and all. I know your husband is out there fighting, and so are so many ponies, its just… Every pony here treats Princess Luna likes she’s evil or somethin’. Like she’s always been that way, and all of this is just her showin’ her true colors. I don’t believe that, and I think it’s a load of horseapples, pardon my language.”

Bright Shine was slightly taken aback. She’d never seen White Wing angry before, but his face betrayed everything. His mustache turned down with his frown. His eyebrows were low over eyes that were normally bright and cheery, but instead held more than a little anger and resentment. He kicked a hoof against the carpet and shook his head.

“I don’t know Mrs. Shine. Maybe I’m just gettin’ too old.”

Bright Shine laid a hoof on his shoulder and he looked away.

“White Wing, why don’t you tell me what you think.”

“I don’t want you to think less of me Mrs. Shine. I know Mr. Chaser is off fightin’ and you got every reason to be angry at Nightmare Moon. Hearin’ all of this ain’t gonna make you feel no better.”

“White Wing, you know you are and always will be welcome here. Tell me what you think about Nightm-. er, Princess Luna.”

He looked up at her with sad eyes.

“I just think she’s lost her way is all Mrs. Shine. And a good part of me think some of what she’s about is right. Ponies just didn’t give her no attention, gave it all to Princess Celestia. Now I ain’t sayin’ there’s anything wrong with the princess, but their supposed to be equal’s you know? Nopony treated them like that.”

White Wing paused.

“Look, I’m not sayin’ that Princess Luna is right about everything, certainly not about the way she did things, and if she needs a good whopping to get her back to the way she was, then I’m all for it but… I’m just tired of seein’ everypony treat her like she ain’t a pony is all. All of this Nightmare Moon business just shows that she’s a pony like you or me. she’s got feelings, and we hurt her by not doing enough. That’s all Mrs. Shine. I’m just real happy that you didn’t throw me out for suggestin’ using her cutie mark in your design.”

Bright Shine sighed and pulled the old mail pony into another hug.

“I won’t lie to you White Wing; I am angry at her. I am really really angry because she’s made Star Chaser miss some of the best moments of Feathered Ink’s childhood. I would be a liar if I said I didn’t want to give her a strong piece of my mind face to face. But, you’re right.”

White Wing pulled back from the hug and looked at her, and Bright Shine noticed tears around his eyes, so she continued.

“Princess Luna has lost her way, and maybe we’re at fault for making that happen. But, as long as Star Chaser comes home safe and sound, I’m willing to forgive her. That’s what Hearth’s Warming is about right?”

White Wing smiled widely and wiped at his eyes, trying to hide his tears.

“It warms my bones to hear you say that Mrs. Shine. I hope that letter you got today is all about how Mr. Chaser is gonna make it home for Hearth’s Warming, you of all ponies deserve that.”

Bright Shine smiled and then blanked for a moment as she began to remember why White Wing was here in the first place.

“Oh, the letter,” she said softly. Her eyes lit up as she thought of the other reason she went to the kitchen. “Oh! The tea!”

She raced to the kitchen, the kettle shrilling loudly. She quickly turned off the stove and removed the kettle.

“What kind of tea would you like White Wing?” she called out.

The mail pony poked his head into the kitchen.

“Actually Mrs. Shine, I best get back to work. I’ve already taken too much of your time.”

Bright Shine blinked and set down the kettle.

“Alright, well thank you White Wing. I really appreciate your help.”

He tipped the bill of his cap.

“No problem at all Mrs. Shine.”

She escorted him to the door, and as he turned to take flight, she said;

“Come back anytime White Wing. We can have that tea when you don’t have to deliver mail.”

He smiled back at her.

“I would like that Mrs. Shine. Good luck with your cupcakes!”

He took to the sky and disappeared from sight. Bright Shine sighed, her mind going back to the words she had said. If given the chance, would she really forgive Nightmare Moon? Just like that? She shook her head and closed the door. She could think later, she had work to do now.

***

“MOM!” Feathered Ink screamed in her ear.

Startled, Bright Shine jumped backward, disturbing the piles of scrapped ideas around her. While she had managed to nail the initial design, there were still a multitude of small details she needed to create if she wanted the while project to come together. So far, she was satisfied with her progress, with much of the design finished. She had had to restart the design of Princess Luna’s cupcake several times as the overall project changed, but she believed she was getting closer and closer to perfection. First however, she had to deal with the irritated colt before her.

“Yes Inky? I’m sorry, I was a bit… focused.”

Feathered Ink pouted.

“I know, you didn’t even listen to my story about school today.”

Bright Shine gathered her designs together and wrapped them in a neat bundle, setting them next to her drawing board for later. She then turned and laid down in front of Feathered Ink.

“I am all ears,” she said.

He grinned and bounced excitedly.

“I got invited to a sleepover party!” he shouted.

Bright Shine felt her eyes widen in shock.

“With who? Where? When? Wait, slow down, start at the beginning. Let’s start with who.”

Feathered Ink huffed.

“Like I said earlier, today during reading time I read my short story, and everypony liked it! Then one of the ponies from the writing club came over to me and asked about my cutie mark. I told him what you said, and then he asked who my dad was, and I told him. Apparently, his dad is fighting in the same unit! So then he started talking and we had a lot in common and he introduced me to his friends and we ate lunch together and then he invited me to his sleepover the day before Hearth’s Warming eve, and can I go please Mom, please?”

Bright Shine slowly filtered through the rush of information, picking out the important bits. First, Feathered Ink had made at least one friend, if not several. Second, he had been invited to a sleepover, which was a good sign that it wasn’t some elaborate, cruel joke. Thirdly, that sleepover was on the day before Hearth’s Warming eve, the same day that she was presenting the cupcakes at the royal palace.

Slowly she asked;

“What time are you supposed to be at his house?”

Taking this as a good sign, Feathered Ink bounced.

“He said to be there by five! He wants to have a big party for the whole class and then a couple of us are going to do the sleepover.”

That would work. If all went well, she would be out of the castle by two, and then she would have a few hours to help him prepare for the sleepover. It would be the perfect day.

“Alright, you can go.”

He bounced into the air with a squee of joy,

But, only if you keep up your schoolwork. If I catch you not finishing all of it, you will be in big trouble mister,” she finished.

Feathered Ink looked at her in smiling disbelief.

“Is that it? That’s easy!” he shouted as he raced into the kitchen, snatching his saddlebags as he ran.

Bright Shine heard a chair slide out, but then heard Feathered Ink stop and listened curiously as his hoof steps left the kitchen. He walked into the living room, the letter in his teeth. Bright Shine took it in surprise, having completely forgotten it in her enthusiasm.

“You didn’t tell me another letter came!”

“Sorry Inky, I forgot. White Wing was helping me with my big project, and it slipped my mind.”

Feathered Ink looked at her expectantly.

“Well?” he asked.

“Well what?”

“Can we read it of course! Dad has never sent one so fast before.”

That sinking feeling came back again, but Bright Shine pushed it away. White Wing had assured her that it wasn’t that kind of letter. She nodded to Feathered Ink and moved to lay on the couch. He instantly joined her and together they settled in while she opened the letter. She noticed instantly that it was significantly longer than usual, and the writing was a bit more frantic. A few splotches of red decorated the corners, but she elected to ignore those until she read the letter.

Dearest Bright Shine,

I know that it hasn’t been long since my last letter, but I have so much to tell you.

To start, I have been wounded. Do not worry yourself, it is only a minor cut and a bloody nose, but it has granted me special mail privileges, so I am using them to send you word and put your mind at ease. Do I have a story for you.

Since my last letter, a million things have happened. I talked more with Cobalt (he told me his name a few days ago). He was looking a bit beat up, so I requested that he be moved to a different stockade. The captain wasn’t having any of it though, he said it was safer to keep all of the prisoners in one place. You know me though, I couldn’t just let him stay there, so, during the day when most of the thestrals were sleeping, I snuck him some extra food, and we got a real chance to talk uninterrupted. We talked about everything. He’s so young Shine, I can’t help but picture Inky a little. Fifteen! Can you believe that? Who sends a fifteen-year-old to war?

Anyway, we talked and talked until I had to go on duty. He was acting really strange though, almost like he didn’t want me to leave. Duty called though, so I went on shift and that night it was watching the stockade.

They broke out Shine, all of them. We only had three ponies on duty and all of the thestrals were just, out. We got into a fight but well, you know how that would turn out. I took out a few of them, but one got a cut in on my wings, so I was grounded. After that… I thought it was over Shine.

Bright Shine stopped reading. She didn’t know what would come next, but she couldn’t let Feathered Ink hear it. Not as raw as it was. She nudged the quiet colt.

“Go do your homework Inky. I’ll be in in a minute to make dinner.”

“But I want to know what happened to Dad!” he protested.

“And you will, I just need to make sure that it isn’t anything too nasty. Go do your homework, I won’t be long.”

He nodded and hopped off the couch. Bright Shine noticed a small sigh of relief escape as he walked slowly to the kitchen. She waited until she heard a chair pulled back before she continued reading silently.

I got knocked to the ground, and the other guards got taken down as well. One of the thestrals got a sword and they were about to do us in, when Cobalt stepped in front of them. He saved me. He was so small, but he stepped in anyway, his bat wings were out, and he just kept yelling at them, telling them to run before more guards showed up. They yelled back at him to move, but he didn’t he just kept telling them to leave. They only listened when we started hearing other guards waking up. Then they all left, took off into the sky. But he didn’t, he just watched them go until we were certain that they had really left. Then he turned and he started to try and treat my wounds. He was awful at it, but it’s the effort, right?

The other guards showed up with the captain, and before anypony could say anything, they attacked Cobalt! Only after I about screamed myself hoarse did they stop pinning him to the ground. I pushed the other guards away and helped him up and I went off. The captain and I had a screaming match. He wanted to put Cobalt back in the stockade, what was I supposed to do?

I was so angry I didn’t even notice when Princess Celestia showed up. Apparently we made enough of a ruckus that she came over to investigate. The worst part though? I didn’t notice until I started yelling at her too. I was just so… mad, that when she tried stepping in, I went off on her too. It took a full two minutes for me to notice. Everypony was staring at me like I’d lost it. To be honest I felt like I had.

Anyway, once I finally figured it out and shut up, she had us escorted to her tent. Then Cobalt and I were left alone. I apologized to him, for everything. Him getting treated like garbage, me flipping out, everything. I guess I wasn’t paying attention, because he just hugged me real hard. He was shaking like a leaf. The pony that had stood up to all of those thestrals by himself was absolutely terrified of Princess Celestia, and I guess me yelling at her had mad him really appreciate having me around. All I could think of is when Inky used to get real bad nightmares and how we would need to just hold him till he stopped shaking. That’s what it was like Shine.

We wait and wait, and he gradually got a bit calmer, but he stuck to me like glue, not that I was complaining, it made me feel like I was doing something good. Familiar. We were there for about an hour before Princess Celestia came back. Almost immediately he was shaking again, and I just felt the need to put myself between us. She was wearing her battle armor, helmet and all, and honestly, she even scared me. It’s not something you think about with the princess, but she can be really scary when she wants to be.

I guess we looked scared, because she immediately took of her helmet and offered us tea. You should have been there; she likes the same kind of green tea as you! She served us tea, and we just… talked. Well, she and I talked mostly, Cobalt just seemed really scared. Every time Princess Celestia asked him a question, he would just try to hide in his hooves and look at me. Unfortunately, I only knew so much about him, so he had to eventually talk to her, but even then, he just seemed terrified, like she would throw him back in the stockade (or worse) at the slightest misstep. If Princess Celestia tried to assure him that it wouldn’t happen, he just seemed more scared.

Then she asked me to let them speak alone. It set Cobalt off in a way I’ve never seen before. He just wailed and hid behind me, hiding under his wings, and the shaking was just awful. I’ve never seen a pony that scared. I hope I never see it again either. While I tried to comfort him, make sure he was okay, I couldn’t help but look at Princess Celestia. I have never seen her look so distressed. I couldn’t tell if she was angry, or sad, or afraid, but she clearly wasn’t enjoying this any more than Cobalt was.

Do you remember the time Inky was afraid of the thunderstorms and he would hide under the bed? We always had to crawl under the bed with him to even think about getting him out. So, I tried the same trick again. I put my wings over Cobalt, and I managed to sneak under one of his wings and I just sat with him. I used that old nursery rhyme you used to sing to get Inky to sleep. It was terrible, I do not have nearly the range that you do, but maybe my terrible singing was enough, because Cobalt smiled just a little.

In our little safety bubble, we talked some more, and he told me the stories he was told about Princess Celestia. I beg of you Shine, if you think Inky is hearing any stories about Nightmare Moon, make sure to check them first, because the thestrals tell the exact same stories about Princess Celestia. All of them, the ones where she eats bad foals, the one where makes bad dreams, they are all the same. They’ve been telling their kids these stories for years, and for some of them, like Cobalt, its all they know about Princess Celestia. He thought she was making me leave so that she could eat him. I really wanted to laugh at him. It was just ridiculous, until I remembered that we’ve told stories like that. We’ve told our son stories like that. So, I didn’t laugh, and instead I just told them I wasn’t going to leave his side, and that if she was going to eat him, she would go through me. Then I asked him to just talk to her. It took him a bit, but then he nodded, and we got up.

To her credit, Princess Celestia had quietly waited while we were talking. Cobalt was still intimidated, but with me sitting there next to him, he managed to talk with her. He told her all of the stories he told me, along with some ones I hadn’t heard yet. My heart goes out to him Shine, he is so young, but he has seen so much, and has been hurt far too many times.

By the time Cobalt finished talking Princess Celestia had to raise the sun. She invited us to watch! At first Cobalt got scared again, but with a bit of coaxing, we went outside with her. To say it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life doesn’t cover it. I don’t even know how to put it into words, it was like every best day in your life at the same time. I wish you could have seen it Shine, it would have been the best moment of my life if you and Inky were here.

Cobalt had never seen a sunrise before. He had lived his life in fear of the sun and so when he could he hid from the sunrise, and that was his first one. He was in awe of it. He even smiled, at me, at Princess Celestia, it just made him so happy for minute.

Then it was over, the sun was up, Princess Celestia turned around, and he got scared again. Like a switch had been flipped. Any progress we had made went out the window and he was back to shaking and hiding again. This time Princess Celestia just looked sad, sad that she could make anypony this scared of her.

She made us an offer. Cobalt would be officially pardoned, and he would be “drafted” into the army as my personal squire. It’s strange writing that, since usually only important ponies get squires, but hey. In exchange, I had to watch out for him, and he wasn’t allowed to leave my side. He’d sleep in my tent, share my meals, the works. If he got caught away, he would have to be put in the stockade again and I would have to switch units.

I wanted to accept instantly (you know me Shine, I can’t leave a pony in need like that) but at the time, I had no idea if Cobalt even liked me, let alone trusted me to be his guardian. My mistake. He was looking at me with those huge pleading eyes, he looked like he would collapse if I said anything other than yes. So, what else could I do?

That was one of the most bone crushing hugs I have ever received. I’m just glad that I could make at least one more pony’s life a little brighter.

After that, we had to go to the medical tent, and then I still had to switch units. I guess yelling at the captain and being on duty when the thestrals escaped (one of whom is now my squire) earns you some bad blood with ponies. I am now a messenger for Celestia’s Second Brigade. I know it’s a little bit more dangerous, but I’ve heard talk that we’re almost done. That the war will end soon. I don’t put much stock in rumors, but… a stallion can hope, right?

I miss you dearly Shine, and I hope that I can see you again soon, hopefully in time for Hearth’s Warming. I know you are busy, and I also know that whatever the job is, you are the best mare for it. I hope Inky is making friends at school, and that he’s learning everything he should. Don’t be too hard on him though, eh? Treat yourselves, I am more than sure you deserve it.

I love you more than anything in Equestria,

Star Chaser

P.S

I didn’t know if I was going to include this, but… I can’t get my mind off of what’s going to happen to Cobalt when this is all over. Sure, he switched sides, but I think ponies are going to mistreat him because he’s a thestral. I can’t abandon him, but I’m not sure what I can do. He stops being my squire when I stop being a soldier. I’ll… I need to think about this a little more. I will send another letter when I come up with something.

Bright Shine set down the letter gently, her mind aflame with emotions. Two in particular were battling for control; fear, and anger. A bit more dangerous? Every newspaper in Canterlot talked about the battles fought with Celestia’s Second leading the charge. To say that it was more dangerous was a gross understatement. All for a pony that Star Chaser barely knew.

Anger ended up winning out, but Bright Shine suppressed a scream of rage as she thought about Star Chaser, standing up to Princess Celestia over a pony he had met less than a week ago.

“Why Chaser?” she asked herself, seething, “Why couldn’t you just leave it alone?” She crumpled the letter in her magic. “Why did you have to be the stupid, stubborn, standup, brave, noble, wonderful stallion I married?”

Bright Shine sighed deeply as she uncrumpled the letter, smoothing the wrinkles out with her hoof. She could imagine his reply.

“Because if I was anything less,” she said in a quiet imitation of his voice. “I wouldn’t be the pony you married!”

Bright Shine grumbled to herself as she rubbed her forehead with her hoof. He would never leave a pony in need, and it was that perfect, selfless attitude that had drawn her in in the first place. She couldn’t well be mad at him for sticking up for a bat-pony. Nor could she be that angry with this ‘Cobalt’, since he had evidently saved Star Chaser’s life.

Her anger quickly passed, for in truth she had nothing to be angry about. In its place, fear quickly welled up. Celestia’s Second? Even if he was just a messenger, the Second? Was there nowhere else he could have been put? No, she thought. It was the only unit that saw a rapid change in ponies. With so many casualties flowing out, it needed a constant influx of ponies to keep leading the fight. The only potential safe part of the brigade was that Princess Celestia led it personally. It was why it always ended up in the toughest fights, but also why it always won. According to the papers, she charged with her ponies, facing the dangers alongside them. Bright Shine couldn’t even put the princess at fault, not really. She probably thought keeping Chaser and Cobalt close was the best way to protect them from other ponies, even if that meant they were at risk in combat.

Bright Shine blew loudly into the air. She looked at the letter again before she floated over a fresh sheet of paper and a quill.

My Beloved Star Chaser,

I wish that a letter could convey how much I want to smack you upside the head for being so stupid right now. I also want to give you the biggest kiss ever for so being brave. I know it couldn’t have been easy to stand up against everypony like that, but you did so anyway, and for that, I am glad.

I do not want to ask this of you my love, but please do not do it again. I know that sounds horrible, but I miss you so desperately. Your old unit was safe, and now you are in one of the most dangerous places in all of Equestria. I want you home Chaser. I want you to come back to us, and I want Feathered Ink to grow up with a father. Please, I am begging you, be selfish, just once. It is horrible of me to ask it of you, but look out for yourself. Every moment that I don’t hear from you is torture, wondering if you are safe, and now I am afraid that you have made it worse-

Bright Shine stopped and read her words again. She sighed and crumpled the half-finished letter into a ball, throwing it to the floor. she couldn’t send that. She couldn’t try to guilt Star Chaser into being safe. It would weigh him down, and if anything, it would make him distracted, risking his safety even more. She could only keep praying that he would be safe. She levitated another sheet of paper to the table and began again.

My Beloved Star Chaser,

I wish that a letter could convey how much I want to smack you upside the head for being so stupid right now. I also want to give you the biggest kiss ever for so being brave. I know it couldn’t have been easy to stand up against everypony like that, but you did so anyway, and for that, I am glad.

Inky has made friends. He has even been invited to a sleepover! I hope you will be as excited at this news as I was when I first heard it.

I hope those rumors are true about the war ending. If everything goes well, maybe you can be home for Hearth’s Warming. I’ve gotten a special commission for a batch of cupcakes, and if you’ll be home, I’m sure I can “lose” a few in the bakery.

Whatever it takes Star, come back home. I worry terribly, and I can’t wait until we are a family again.

Forever yours,

Bright Shine

It was shorter than usual, and it was largely fluff, but Bright Shine hoped that it would put a smile on his face. As long as he remained focused, nothing bad would happen, she had to believe that. Bright Shine quickly sealed the letter and set it near the door, ready to be sent off in the morning. She then went to the kitchen, summarizing the highlights of the letter to Feathered Ink as she made them both dinner.

That night, her sleep was more restless. More than once she imagined Star Chaser being attacked by bat-winged ponies. Only when she brought out his letters and hugged them to her chest was she able to truly rest.