• Published 11th May 2019
  • 1,562 Views, 0 Comments

Equestria Girls: Life Goes On - Blackbird2



While dealing with her new, mundane life, Aria has an encounter that changes things in a way she never would have expected.

  • ...
2
 0
 1,562

Just Friends?

Equestria Girls: Life Goes On

Chapter 3: Just Friends?

Aria’s eyes scanned through the people milling around in the Stables & Royals as she looked through the particular pairing she was here to actually meet. A blur of motion out of the corner of her right eye caught her attention and when she turned towards it she saw Blackbird waving to her from a couch right next to the small coffee shop area. She nodded to let him know she saw him just before she made her way towards the sitting area. As she got closer she found he was not alone as she soon spotted Moonie sitting to his right. That itself wasn’t too unusual to her at this point but what was strange was what she was wearing. She had on a light pink button up shirt with a rose colored vest over it and matching tie. She also wore a burgundy colored skirt and thigh high stockings. All finished off with black pumps and a black fedora with a red band. While not a completely horrible outfit by itself, it stood out to her because it was basically the female version of outfit Blackbird normally wore.

A fact made even more apparent with him sitting right next to her. Aria stopped just in front of them and glared for a second before she placed her hands on her hips.

“So, what, are you two just one of those couples that dresses alike now?” she asked in mild annoyance.

“Hey this was completely her idea!” Blackbird replied, quickly throwing his hands up in the air defensively. “But I don’t object to it cause...well...yeah!”

He motioned his hands towards her in an approving gesture to which Moonie just blushed a bit. Aria on the other hand just out her face in her palm and sighed loudly.

“Well to be fair I did get the idea from him,” Moonie confessed before she looked over to Blackbird. “Because he looks so good in his.”

“Hey I think you look even better in our version babe,” Blackbird replied before he leaned in and kissed her. “Love you.”

“Love you too luv,” she replied after returning the kiss.

“Ugh. Your love disgusts me,” Aria grumbled. “Please tell me this isn’t the reason you called me here!”

“Oh. Right,” Blackbird chuckled nervously. “You see...” he stopped as a thought occurred to him. “You know I just realized you two have never been formally introduced. So...Moonie Aria, Aria, Moonie!” he said quickly as he gestured between the two.

“Pleasure to finally officially meet you,” Moonie said cheerfully as she held out a hand.

Aria rolled her eyes but nevertheless took the offered hand and half-heartedly shook it.

“Yeah. Sure. Whatever,” she mumbled. “Now, what is this about?!”

“Okay, so, you know how I have title card art, right?” Blackbird started off.

“Yeah,” Aria nodded.

“Well Moonie’s the one who does them for me,” he revealed as he motioned her again.

“Hi!” the blue skinned girl said with a wave.

“Okay, great, what’s this got to do with me?” Aria asked, her annoyance growing.

“The point is we’ve talked it over, and she’s willing to do some title art for your videos too if you want,” Blackbird offered.

Aria blinked at that comment. She hadn’t expected that! It was surprisingly generous offer. Too generous.

“What’s the catch?” she asked, the skepticism evident in her voice. “I can’t afford to pay much.”

“Oh no, you don’t have to worry about payment,” Moonie assured her.

For some reason, Aria didn’t find that comforting. She looked over at Blackbird.

“I don’t need charity either,” she said pointedly.

“Not charity. Just friends helping friends,” he clarified.

She was still unsure.

“Well what do you pay her?” she asked Blackbird.

“Well...I...um...” he stammered.

Her eyebrow arched at that.

“Wait, you do pay her, right?” she pressed, sounding surprisingly offended. “Or do you pay her in ‘exposure’?”

They both grew silent at the comment. Moonie’s cheeks became even better than her outfit while a sly smirk spread over Blackbird’s face.

“Well...kinda...” he quipped.

Aria stared in confusion for a second before her eyes went as wide as saucers as the meaning of his words and Moonie’s reaction sunk in.

“Oooooh! Why?! WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!” she screamed, then suddenly clutched at her head. “It’s in my head! IT’S IN MY HEAD!!!”

“You’re welcome,” he quipped and gave her double finger guns. It was then he noticed the time on his watch. “Oh crap I gotta clock back in!”

He jumped to his feet then turned back to Moonie.

“Could you explain the rest to her?” he asked as he motioned to Aria.

“Sure,” she smiled.

“Thanks babe! Love you!”

“Love you too,” she replied.

They gave each other a quick kiss before Blackbird ran off to return to work. Aria watched him leave then turned her attention back to Moonie who scooted over to occupy the spot Blackbird left before she patted the spot she had just been in. Aria shrugged before she sat down next to the blue girl.

“Alright, so what’s the rest of this?” she asked as she crossed her legs.

“Pretty much what Blackbird said,” Moonie said as she pulled a sketch pad out of her bag. “I’ve been watching some of your videos with Blackbird and worked up some mockups of what I’d do for title cards for you.”

She handed the pad over to Aria who uncrossed her legs to relax a bit as she took the pad and flipped through it.

“Wow. These are actually pretty good,” she complimented.

“Thanks!” Moonie beamed.

“So you actually draw them?” Aria questioned as she handed the pad back.

“Just to get an idea of what I’m doing,” Moonie explained while putting the pad back in her bag. “Then I do the rest on the computer. And I’ll be sure to send you a preview in case you want to change anything.”

Aria leaned against the couch and crossed her arms over her chest as she thought it over. It still seemed too good to be true.

“Seriously, what’s the catch?” she pressed.

“Again, no catch. I just like drawing, and this does help me improve and try different things,” Moonie reassured her.

Again Aria when silent as she thought it over. As she rolled it over in her mind, she caught a glimpse of Blackbird moving back to this section in the store. As she unknowingly stared at him, it that brought another question to her head.

“So what do you see in him?” she asked Moonie, jerking her thumb in Blackbird’s direction.

Moonie looked over to where Aria was pointing and a smile spread across her face.

“A few things really,” she replied in a loving tone.

“But...he’s so weird!”

Moonie chuckled. “Yeah and that’s part of why I love him. He doesn’t care what people think of him and just does what makes him happy. Plus, he’s sweet, kind, generous, funny and very loving.”

“I’ll take your word for that last one,” Arai scuffed.

“You know you don’t have to be in a relationship with him to get that,” Moonie pointed out. “He’s always a very loving and concerned friend, and I know if nothing else you two are friends.”

“Well...yeah but we mostly just talk about bad movies and stuff,” she countered.

“Well if you ever need to talk about anything more serious I guarantee you he’ll be there for you.”

“Mmm...” Aria mused as she leaned back on the couch and glanced over at Blackbird again. “Shouldn’t you be concerned though. You know he looks at me a lot, right?”

“Yeah I know all about his crush on you,” Moonie confessed then shrugged. “And I’m fine with it. I don’t mind his wandering eyes ‘cause I’m secure enough in our relationship to know he’ll still be with me. And if does go further we’ll move on from there.”

Aria stared at her for a second.

“Wow. You’re a lot more understanding than I would be,” she admitted.

“I try,” Moonie smiled. “So back to the topic at hand, are you interested in me doing title card art for you as well?”

“Uh...” she paused then shrugged. “You know what? Sure, let’s do it! And, um, thanks.”

“No problem at all!” Moonie beamed then pulled out her phone. “Can I get your number so it’ll be easier to stay in contact?”

“Yeah,” Aria said as she took the phone and typed in her number.

“Thanks!” the bespectacled girl beamed and took her phone back then stood up. “Well I need to get going as well. But I’ll be sure to send you some art samples soon. Then just let me know what you need for your next video and I’ll be happy to do it for!”

“Sounds good,” the twintailed girl nodded. “See ya.”

“Bye!” Moonie waved then made her way out of the store.

Aria watched her leave then turned her attention once again to Blackbird as he checked someone out in the movie section of the bookstore. She placed an elbow on the arm of the couch then laid her hand on her palm and narrowed her eyes as she continued to stare at him while turning over Moonie’s words in her head.

“Hmmmm...” she murmured.

( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

Aria found herself in a similar pose a few hours later during a slow period at her own work. She was bent over behind the register and had her elbows resting on the counter while laying her chin in her hands. Her eyes were glazed over as she stared aimlessly at the front door. She didn’t really see it though as her mind continued to go over what happened earlier in the day.

He’s sweet, kind, generous, funny and very loving, Moonie’s word repeated again in her head.

Her eyes narrowed a bit.

“But why-” she began to mutter.

“Why what?” a cheery voice suddenly asked next to her.

“GAAAAAAH!!!” she screamed and fell backwards in surprise.

Once her heart stopped threatening to beat out of her chest she glared up at the person now standing over her.

“SONATA!!!” she bellowed. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

“Uh, I’ve been trying to get your attention for, like, five minutes. You can go on your break now,” Sonata informed her.

“Oh,” Aria said. She then pulled herself up with the counter. “Cool. I’ll be upstairs then.”

“So what were you thinking so hard about?” Sonata asked before a surprisingly devious smile crossed her lips. “Was it your boyfriend?”

“He’s not my boyfriend!” she snapped back, jabbing a finger towards her sister.

“But you knew exactly who I was talking about,” the blue girl grinned victoriously as she placed her hands on her hips and puffed out her chest a bit.

Aria’s finger and face fell as she stared blankly. Had she just been outsmarted by Sonata?! What the hell was happening to her?! Collecting her wits, she placed a hand on Sonata’s shoulder and pushed her aside so she could get out from behind the counter.

“He’s just a friend, you’re an idiot and I’m going upstairs,” she quickly said as she passed her.

“Oh yeah, your friend that’s here almost every day and has been in a few of your videos,” Sonata teased.

That made Aria stop in her tracks then spin back around, unintentionally smacking her sister in the face with one of her twin tails.

“Wait! You watch my videos?!” she asked, surprised by her annoying sibling once again.

“Well yeah,” Sonata remarked, rubbing her surprisingly sore cheek. “It’s kind of hard to avoid when you do them in the apartment. Plus, they’re fun! It’s kinda of funny seeing you get mad at something or someone that’s not me.”

“Oh. Well...”Aria stammered as she ran a hand through her hair nervously. “Thanks. Glad you enjoy them.”

“Oh! Could be in one?!” the blue girl asked, her eyes sparkling in excitement.

“No,” Aria said flatly then turned away.

“Aaaawwww...” Sonata whined then smirked again. “I get it though. Gotta spend more time with your boyfriend, right?”

“NOT MY BOYFRIEND!!!” the irritated girl screamed as she stormed out of the store.

( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )

The first thing Aria when she got back to her apartment was to flop down onto her bed and let out a frustrated scream. She wasn’t sure if she was mad at Sonata, the situation or herself. Was she really that messed up that she would fall for the first guy to show her just a little bit of kindness?!

She sighed and rolled over onto her side.

“Yeah. Yeah I am,” she muttered to herself. “Not that it matters cause he already has a girlfriend! A girlfriend that apparently doesn’t mind him looking but that’s looking not touching!”

She surprised herself with that last comment. Is that really what she wanted? Did she want everything that went in a relationship? Did she even really want a relationship?! And even if she did, again it wasn’t going to work out cause of his relationship! And her trying to do anything about that would just make her completely horrible and cost her the only friend she has!

She let out another tired, frustrated groan and buried her face in her pillow.

“Turns out I’m the worst,” she mumbled.


To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

So this chapter took WAAAAY longer to get out than I planned! Course that’s always the way, isn’t it? Part of it was work, part of it was videos and a big part was going to BronyCon this year! That was fun! If you follow my Twitter and YouTube you’ll see I’ve picked up a couple piece of Aria merch. Didn’t find an Aria cosplayer to get a pic with though. That would have been awesome.

Anyway, the weirdest part of this chapter was the part of Moonie talking Blackbird up. Cause I didn’t want to fall into the obvious trap most do in these kinds of fics and make themselves seem so awesome and cool and that’s why the canon char falls for them. Definitely want to avoid THAT! But I did need a reason for why Aria might have feelings for Blackbird. So I basically took the approach of showing my girlfriends what I wrote and see if that’s what they saw in me and the answer was “Yes”. So I just went with that! Hopefully though it still doesn’t come off as too self-aggrandizing. I’m sure someone will let me know if it did.

And yes I said girlfriends, polyamory is real. And might come into play later...