• Published 10th May 2019
  • 3,474 Views, 698 Comments

The Last Changeling - GaPJaxie



Years after being turned to stone, a changeling awakes to discover themselves in a new world.

  • ...
29
 698
 3,474

The Ponyville Train Station

Princess Cheval was free.

Ponyville could hardly talk about anything else. It was in the papers, and on the radio. There was gossip in the barbershops and the hair salons, in the cafes and in the markets. Every creature knew she’d soon come to Ponyville—her nation was waiting for her. Parties were prepared in her honor, gifts were wrapped, and cameras were made ready for the moment she stepped off the train.

It was such a grand occasion that many creatures traveled to Ponyville just to wait. The entire Apple clan assembled, all the ponies who were once Elements of Harmony returned to their childhood home, and remote members of the Sparkle family came to meet their niece.

Every changeling who had left the hive returned home as well. It was a grand family reunion.

One changeling, a mare named Brightside, decided it was a good opportunity to introduce her family to her boyfriend. His name was Ocean Breeze, and he was a pegasus pony. They took the train down from Manehatten, and he got to sleep in the spare room that was right next to her bedroom and conveniently had a connecting door.

It went so well at first. Her grandmother sniffed him and proclaimed that he did, in fact, love her. He told jokes and her relatives laughed. But around noon on the second day of their visit, he asked her question.

“Why is this such a big deal?” They were together in one of Ponyville’s cafes, near the hive, but with a distinctly pony flavor to the food. For lunch, they both preferred muffins to roast spiders.

“What do you mean?” Brightside laughed. “She’s the future queen of my people.”

“Celestia is the ruler of your people right now. When she appears on TV, you shout, ‘Hey Sunbutt, you’ve got a divine right to kiss my ass.’”

“I don’t believe in alicorn rule.”

“No.” Ocean Breeze tilted his head to one side. “But you do believe in the birthright of a teenager from the Crystal Empire who spent fifty years turned to stone?”

“Oh come on, that’s totally not the same.” Brightside rolled her eyes. “Celestia isn't literally the mother to her people.”

“Cheval isn’t your mother.”

“She’ll be mother to lots of other changelings.”

“No she won’t. She’ll lay a lot of eggs, but she won’t raise them all herself.” He poked at his food. “I thought you said parents are the creatures who love their children?”

“Okay, fine.” Brightside’s scoffed, and the next roll of her eyes was somewhat less friendly than the first had been. “But you know laying thousands of eggs is still a big deal, right?”

“I’m not saying she isn’t a big deal. But you’re like… excited.” He gestured at her, momentarily struggling for words. “I haven’t seen you this wrapped up in something in awhile. I’m sorry; I’m not trying to be picky. I just don’t get it.”

“It’s important to me. It’s like, I don’t want to have foals. But if I did have foals, it would matter that they know how to make faces.” She poked at her toast, suddenly lacking an appetite. “And I want to be here to see her reconnect with her culture.”

“Okay. That’s good.” He took in a breath and nodded. “Are you getting her something?”

“No. No. I mean, I’m sure Princess Twilight will. And all the important ponies. But she doesn’t want or need gifts from the common folk.” She paused. “Why did you think I was getting her something?”

“A lot of your family members seem to be wrapping up gifts.”

“That’s for each other.” Brightside looked off at the hive. “It’s fine.”


Later, while Ocean Breeze was visiting some pegasus friends in Cloudsdale, Brightside dropped in on her parents.

“Hey, mom? Dad? A quick question.” She poked her head into the living room. “You’re not, um, getting Princess Cheval anything, are you? Like, that would be silly.”

“Oh, yeah, we are,” her mother said. “We heard that she didn’t speak vespid very well, and if she does speak it, it’ll be the old-hive version. So your father and I thought, she should have a guide on slang in bilingual towns. You know, which vespid words have just become part of Ponyville equestrian and vice-versa?”

“So you got her a book?”

“Well,” her father said, “we couldn’t find a guide like that. So your mother and her clutch all got together and wrote one. Then they all signed it.”

“Oh.” Brightside paused. “That’s… remarkably thoughtful.”

“You could sign it too if you…” her mother started to say, but Brightside has already walked out.

When she got back to the streets of Ponyville, she stared up at the sky for a few long seconds. Then she stamped her hoof and shouted, “Fuck!”


“Hey there, my clutch-sister,” Brightside lifted a leg to hoofbump the creature in front of her. “How’s it hanging?”

Snaggle, who was indeed a mare and who was indeed part of Brightside’s clutch, stared at her for a long moment. “You are actually a changeling, how do you sound like a pony doing a bad impression?”

“I’ve lived in Manehatten awhile, okay?” Brightside lowered her hoof un-bumped. “Listen, I need a favor. Are you getting Princess Cheval anything?”

Snaggle was a barber. In the true Ponyville style, she worked in a combination movie theater and barbershop called And, Cut! Patrons got their hair cut while watching a film, and there was popcorn after. It was an entirely sensible business model, with the only problem being that most movies took slightly longer than a haircut, and so patrons tended to occupy the chairs for some time.

At least it left Snaggle plenty of time to stand around and gossip.

“Sure,” she said. “I heard she was taught to shapeshift the old way. Like, taught to impersonate ponies? So Snap Shot and I did some posing and some photo-editing, and we made a portfolio of ponies who don’t exist. So she can transform the way she’s used too without stealing anypony’s face.”

“That’s great. Really.” Brightside rubbed her face. “Is there still time for me to help make it?”

“It’s pretty much done. But you can sign it too if you want.”

“No. That’s…” She frowned. “Did you have any other gift ideas, maybe? Ideas you didn’t end up using?”

“Not really. But, come on, don’t worry. It’s not about getting her something.” Snaggle gestured at the hive around them. “For her, last week, she was just schoolfilly. Now she’s the long-awaited princess of an exiled people. She doesn’t know us, and she doesn’t know our culture. So just… give her something that helps her understand you.”

“That helps her understand me.” Brightside’s tone was skeptical.

“Or, not you, but you know, us.” Snaggle gestured all around them. “Us. This strange and wonderful hybrid of pastel herbivorous mammals and tie-dye predatory insects. What does being a changeling mean to you?”

Brightside stared, and so Snaggle repeated: “Get her that.”


“Hey there…” She paused. “Clutch-brother.”

Xerox, who was indeed a stallion and who was indeed part of Brightside’s clutch stared at her.

“Look, sorry, I’m having a bad day, okay?” Brightside sighed and covered her eyes. “I didn’t mean to make it weird.”

“It wasn’t weird,” he paused. “I mean, it was a little formal. But, we are clutch siblings. You could just call me your brother. It’s not like that distinction matters in this instance.”

“Yeah, I’ll note that for next time.” Brightside snapped. “What are you getting Princess Cheval?”

Xerox didn’t live in Ponyville either, but was rather a psychatrist in Canterlot. Returning to Ponyville for her visit, he’d chosen to rent a room in an inn, and so it was from his suitcase that he produced a gift.

“It’s a few specific pages from the Survey on Non-Pony Employment in the Greater Canterlot Area with some specific passages highlighted.” He offered her the document, though it had no fancy wrapping. He wasn’t the wrapper type, having instead put it in a simple manilla envelope.

“And,” he added, “I included some pictures. Since she’s from the Crystal Empire, she was probably raised to believe that changelings are all whores or spies. So seeing shapeshifting powers used for other professions might help her. There’s a bunch of actors in here, a nature conservationist who uses them to hide from animals…”

He trailed off as Brightside’s frustration became obvious on her face. She tossed the report back to the bed. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m a baker,” she sighed. “I don’t use my powers at work. Sometimes I go whole weeks without changing forms. And the main thing I use my powers for is turning into mares from my boyfriend’s dreams, only, we don’t do that much, because he really does like what I actually look like.”

“A bit too much information there,” Xerox paused. “But, good for you two. That sounds like a very healthy relationship.”

“Do you have any other gift ideas?” She raised a hoof. “And don’t say I can sign this one.”

“Come on, Brightside. You don’t have to do anything. Being a changeling just isn’t that big a deal to you.”

“Yes, it is,” she snapped, pointing at herself with a hoof. “I am servant of this hive and a loyal drone.”

“Yeah, I know.” He shrugged. “But you live in Manehatten, and you’re a baker, and all your friends are ponies, and you never worry about being loved because you’ve got a great boyfriend. Like just… show up and take pictures of her. It’s not a big deal.”


“Hey, you, you’re the new Element of Generosity right?”

River Breeze, who was halfway through taking a bite of her sandwich, froze midway through the action. With glacial slowness, she chewed once. Then again. Then a third time. She swallowed. “Who are you?”

“Hi. I’m Brightside. I’m a changeling.” Uninvited, she sat at River Breeze’s cafe table. “But you are, right?”

“I’m the old Element of Generosity actually. The new Element of Generosity is in the Crystal Empire with Twilight.”

“But before you were the old one you were the new one, right?”

River Breeze didn’t know what to say to that, which was fine, because Brightside went on without her. “I need a thoughtful gift idea. And I thought, you’d be an expert in this! Like, the expert. See, Princess Cheval is coming to town, and every changeling is getting her something personal and thoughtful that’s about what our culture means to them. And like, I can’t think of anything.”

“So… you want to me to come up with something thoughtful and authentic and meaningful so you can copy it?” River Breeze scrunched up her muzzle. “That’s kind of old ways isn’t it? I think she already knows how that part works.”

“Wow. That’s racist.” Brightside grimaced, then laughed, then reached across the table. “But seriously I need help.”

“Okay, let’s back up.” River Breeze levitated her napkin to her mouth, and carefully wiped away some bits of mayonnaise and hay. “Why does it matter so much to you? With so many creatures giving gifts, the odds are very low she’ll ever open yours.”

“I need to show I’m…” She gestured vaguely. “One of us. Not just a pony with powers she never uses. That I’m a good daughter, and a good drone. That I’m loyal to my people.”

“Okay. Why does that matter so much to you?” River Breeze lifted a hoof. “And answer without telling me what you are. I know what you are. What are you feeling?”

“But it’s about what I am. I’m a loyal part of the hive. I belong to something.” She touched her chest with her hoof. “Without that, I’m just… a baker with a cute boyfriend and no foals who drinks too much wine.”

“Okay,” River Breeze shrugged. “Then publicly swear yourself to her as the first member of her new hive guard. That’s your gift.”

“I’m not a soldier.” She frowned. “She doesn't even have a hive-guard. Does she?”

“No. I don’t think she’ll want one. So you can call yourself a changeling warrior, and feel a sense of accomplishment, and you won’t have to actually do anything to earn it.” River Breeze spread her hooves. “Because it seems that that’s what being a changeling is to you. It’s not about the powers or the traditions or living in a hive. It’s about belonging to something. So belong to her.”

When Brightside gaped, River Breeze shrugged. “I’m sure she’ll get it.”


Slapping a former Element of Generosity probably wasn't a good idea. Particularly given that there were three more former Elements of Generosity in that same cafe to hold her down, plus two Elements of Laughter and one dragon-assistant who reminded everypony of Spike.

On the upside though, there were a lot of ponies eager to help with her friendship problem.

After she was done singing her friendship song, Brightside stormed back into the hive. She went to her parents house, then up to her room, and slammed the door behind her like she was a petulant teenager all over again. She threw herself onto the bed and pressed her head down into the pillow, waiting for sleep that would not come.

After what felt like hours, the connecting door to the side room opened, and Ocean Breeze stepped in. “Hey, cutie,” he said, but when he laid eyes upon her, he froze. “What’s wrong?”

“Why do you love me?”

“Woah.” He rushed to her side, resting his hoof on her shoulder. “Where’d that come from?”

“It comes from the land of my not being anything special,” she buried her head deep in the pillow. “It comes from the place where I always thought, I don’t know, I had this mystic destiny. Or lineage. Or I was, like, a small part of something big and important. But it turns out, nope. It’s just an excuse to feel good about yourself because of things you didn’t do. Like stuffy old noble ponies who are proud of their lineage even though they didn’t do anything for it except be born.”

“You’re special to me,” he insisted. “You make me happy and—”

“Oh, yeah. We were a whirlwind romance. ‘Well, like, we hung out at a few parties, and once he took me home and that was fun, and after I noticed I didn’t feel tired and achy and hungry, so I was like, oh shit he must love me a little.’ Story tell our foals.” She rubbed at her face with a hoof. “No. That was bitchy. I’m so… dammit, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine. Really.” He frowned. “But you know I fell in love with the mare who puts hearts on her cookies and spends every Saturday feeding stale bread to ducks. Right? I fell in love with her, not some mystic hero or a shapeshifting super spy.”

“I know, I just… I always thought I mattered. Somehow. And…”

When she trailed off into silence, Ocean Breeze slipped into bed with her, wrapping his legs around her chest. “You matter to me,” he said. “Do you want to go home? We’re only here to make you happy. If things are stressing you out, we can go back to Manehatten.”

“No. We might as well stay,” she sighed. “I’ll get to see a Princess. That’s big I guess.”

“You could shout she has a divine right to kiss your ass.”

“Ha ha.” Brightside shut her eyes. “No, it’s…” She licked her lips. “It’s fine. We’ll snap a few pictures and go home early. Nothing’s going to happen anyway. It’s just an old trueblood waving at crowds.”


Tens of thousands stood outside the Ponyville train station, waiting for Cheval to arrive: ponies, changelings, diamond dogs, griffons, dragons, and more. As always, the flyers had the best view. Ocean Breeze had woken her up early, she’d taken the form of a pegasus, and together they’d flown to the station before dawn.

All the spots on the station roof were already taken, but they found a cloud out over the outskirts of Ponyville and borrowed it. It made a comfortable perch, and they were able to watch the crowd form.

An enterprising pegasus was selling hayburgers out of a sky chariot. They got two, and from his saddlebags, Ocean Breeze produced a flask. Brightside giggled, kissed him, and took somewhat more than her half.

When the train arrived just past eleven, Brightside was already braced for disappointment. What was this creature going to do or say, to match the sight of the crowd? Creatures of all kinds packed the streets, the skies, the roofs, all gathered to welcome a teenage mare.

“They’re all like me, aren’t they?” she asked Ocean. He didn’t have an answer. “They think it makes them special.”

Her train—no royal conveyance but a regular passenger line—pulled into the station. A few crystal ponies stepped out, then Gallant and a few other changelings she knew, then a few members of Celestia’s royal guard.

Finally, Cheval emerged. Her shell was black, her wings were by her side, and she squinted into the sunlight. She stared at the crowd, was though she not sure what she was seeing.

Then, she shivered. She shuddered, a motion so severe it was visible from a distance. She gripped her stomach with a hoof, and doubled over as though in pain, bending her spine around herself.

“What’s happening?” Ocean Breeze sat up, fear running through his words. It was becoming obvious to him, to her, to the entire crowd, that something was wrong with Cheval. Her escorts and guards were trying to help her, but the shaking wasn’t passing.

“Oh no.” Brightside’s hoof shot to her face. “They took her away from Cadence. None of her escorts love her. She’s having hunger pangs.”

“That looks like more than pangs.” On the ground below, Cheval was shaking at the knees, her escorts holding her up as she threatened to tumble over.

“She should be able to go for weeks without eating. It must be because she’s pregnant.” Looking over the crowd, Brightside saw a few old truebloods trying to push their way to the platform—drones with greying shells and weak bodies. “Right. Right.”

Without another word, Brightside leapt from her cloud. An ungraceful flyer, she crashed down to the train platform face first. She recovered quickly, charged past a group of royal guards. One swung at her, and in a flash of green, she transformed into a filly. The blow whiffed above her considerably shorter head, and in another flash, she transformed back. She crossed the last few steps to Cheval in one massive leap.

And wrapped her up in a hug.

“It’s okay,” she said. “You’ll be okay.” Cheval was shaking so hard that Brightside struggled to grip her. But she held on anyway. She didn’t know if it was possible to make herself love a creature, but she tried. She thought the kindest thoughts she could about Cheval, and hoped for her to recover.

Something hit her from behind. It was another changeling, trying to wrap his legs around her and Cheval both. Then another hugged Cheval from her other side. Then another came, and another. The crowd swarmed up over the platform, pushing aside the royal guard and Cheval’s escorts. Every creature that could hugged her, and those who could not hugged eachother.

The pressure was intense. Cheval’s hard shell was in front of her and the crowd was behind her. Brightside feared being crushed under the weight. She struggled to breathe, but she didn’t move.

And eventually, Cheval stopped shaking.