• Published 10th May 2019
  • 3,472 Views, 698 Comments

The Last Changeling - GaPJaxie



Years after being turned to stone, a changeling awakes to discover themselves in a new world.

  • ...
29
 698
 3,472

Chapter 12

They shouldn’t have escaped.

The getaway flyer, the pegasus the others called Double Entry, he was fast. He had strong flight muscles and good technique. But he was dragging a chariot and five creatures, while any pegasi in pursuit would carry nothing but their weapons. The underlying reality, the nuance of things, the math—it did not permit victory. Even Rainbow Dash herself would have struggled to win such a race. And that was of course to say nothing of the searchlights and archers and air defenses.

And yet.

As she lay silently on the floor of the chariot, Cheval wondered if such was what life was like for Twilight. If, for some ponies, heroic adventure and daring do really did allow six regular ponies to overcome all odds. Or perhaps, their escape was more directly due to Twilight. Perhaps she did something to fiddle the odds. She used her magical gifts so rarely, ponies forgot how spectacular she was.

But Cheval had no use of her horn, and so could not check to see if they’d been enchanted. All she could do was watch the sky whirl overhead between the bodies of her rescuers. They were ducking, weaving, exchanging magical blasts with the ponies in pursuit.

She couldn't see their faces, from where she was on the floor. But she could see their undercarriages. Really, her view was quite obscene. Gallant was a gifted stallion, the tan mare had stretch marks from having a foal, and the red mare had a rash along her ribs that looked like an allergic reaction.

Closing her eyes helped. She listened to them; to what they said or didn’t say. Gallant was their leader, calm and comfortable with violence. Double Entry was a nervous talker, but he never panicked, and Gallant trusted him in a way he did not trust the others. The red one was Moth Orchid, a coward who screamed with the passing of every projectile.

The tan one was angry, and didn’t want to be where she was. The blue one was quiet, and afraid for things other than her own life. She was the one who held onto Cheval during hard maneuvers, to make certain she didn’t fall out of the chariot.

Eventually, Double Entry’s wingbeats slowed. The chariot descended. The tone of her rescuers shifted, though she had long since stopped listening to their words. They landed.

“Is she asleep?”

Cheval cracked an eye open. All her rescuers were standing in a circle around her. They were inside some kind of stone structure, possibly underground. Ice on the walls marked their passage beyond the borders of the Crystal Empire proper, though they could hardly have gone far.

“I am not,” she said. Her eyes traveled from one to the next. “You introduced yourself as Gallant. I overheard that you are Double Entry and Moth Orchid. But I don’t know you two. What are your names?”

“Mirror Pond,” said the blue one who held her during the ride. She was a unicorn. The tan one, an earth pony, introduced herself as After Image.

“Thank you,” Cheval said. “All of you, for rescuing me. I have many questions about who you are and how you came to be here. But first,” she looked right at Mirror Pond, “could I ask you to remove my restraints?”

Mirror Pond started to move, but Moth Orchid held out a leg to block her. “You might want to hold off on that one.”

“Why?” Mirror asked. “I know she’s on a suicide watch, but we’re all right here. We can keep an eye on her.”

“They don’t put creatures in muzzles because they’re a suicide threat.” Moth gestured at Cheval’s restraints. “I’m also noticing a lot of dried blood on her carapace and, you know, she doesn’t have blood. So I’m pretty sure it’s not hers.”

Mirror’s expression rapidly shifted though surprise, confusion, and finally anger. “Call her a whore why don’t you?” she snapped. “She’s your princess. You should be ashamed.”

Twilight is my princess,” Moth snapped back. “Just because she—”

Gallant stepped in before the two could come to blows, physically imposing himself between them. “That’s enough,” he said, raising his voice to emphasize the command. “Double, please remove her muzzle but not her other restraints.”

Double Entry nodded, and knelt beside her. The others watched in silence as he removed the muzzle from her jaw and the caps from her teeth. The blood from the guard she bit had long since turned brown, but it stained her teeth and jaw yet. Moth’s lip curled. The others looked uncomfortable.

Of course, Cheval said “thank you,” before she took the time to stretch out her jaw. It was only polite.

“So,” Gallant said, “you probably have questions about who we are.”

“Yes,” Cheval drew in a breath, looking up at all of them. “But first I have questions about what you are. You have changeling names. Proper ones. Mirror this and Double that and all manner of sly references to illusion.”

“We are changelings,” Mirror Pond said. “We’re from the Ponyville Hive. A lot of survivors fled there after the war. We were… um. Born ponies, I suppose you would say. Some of us, like Gallant, think we’re still ponies. Some of us think we aren’t really anymore. We can shapeshift a little, though we aren’t as good at it as true-blooded changelings.”

“Is that why your disguises were so mismatched?” Cheval glanced at Gallant, who nodded. She thought about that for a moment, nodded, and asked: “And how did you become…” She paused. “This?”

“We were adopted into the hive when we were very young,” Mirror replied. “There are ways it can be taught.”

“There have been ponies adopted by changelings before. They didn’t gain the power to shapeshift.” Cheval’s eyes narrowed faintly, watching all of them closely. “What else was done to you?”

It was Gallant who spoke next. “There’s a degree of ritual involved.”

“Dark magic. Right.” Cheval shut her eyes and rested her head on the stone floor. “Shapechanging at will is quite the gift. What is the sacrifice offered, to receive such a tremendous boon?”

“The same as for all changeling magic,” After Image said. “We need to be loved. We can’t sense love like a true-blood; we can’t survive off it—we need solid food like a regular pony. But if nobody loves us, we get sick. Sometimes we can die.”

“One wonders how you deal with such a burden.” She glanced at After Image, and then at the stretch marks on her belly. “Do your children love you?”

After Image’s eyes hardened, and Moth Orchid glared as well. But before either of them could speak, Mirror Pond cut in: “All ponies need love to survive. The mare or stallion who isn’t loved doesn’t have a life worth living. We’re not any worse off. We’re just more honest.”

Mirror Pond swallowed, gathered her courage, and said: “And I’m proud of what I am.”

“You’re a drone,” Cheval snapped. “And you’re loyal to your hive because you have to be. Because that’s the one place where you’re loved unconditionally and can always get what you need. Because you were indoctrinated to think that the hive matters, somehow.”

“Hey, look,” Moth said, her tone all light and sing-song. “Our once-and-promised future princess is a toxic bitch.”

“She’s stressed,” Double Entry snapped. “I applaud your ability to hear that a creature is a suicide risk and then be offended that they don’t find the time to be more polite.”

“Double is right,” Gallant said to every creature, not just Moth. “We should give her her space.”

“Yeah, well, not to put too fine a point on it?” Moth pushed back, “but unless you brought a doctor’s bag I don’t know about, the drugs that prevent her from shapeshifting or using magic are going to wear off soon. And I feel like when that happens we’re going to have a problem.”

“Don’t worry,” Cheval said, smiling oh-so sweetly. “I only bite ponies.”

That stilled the conversation for a few long seconds. Gallant ended things. “It’s late. And we’re not going anywhere until morning. Put a few blankets over her and let her sleep.”

So they did.


It was still early morning when Double Entry nudged her awake. “Hey,” he said, rocking her shoulder with a hoof. Her eyes fluttered open, and he offered her water. “It will be time to go, soon.”

“Thank you.” She sipped from the canteen he offered, and when she was done, asked: “Where are we? What is this place?”

“A bunker,” he gestured around them. The stonework was old, and covered in dust. Racks of weapons were braced against one wall, long since given over to rust. “Built by the changelings during the war. Part of the siegeworks surrounding the Crystal Empire. Flurry never found it, so it seemed like a good place to hide.”

“Mmm,” Cheval looked him over, head to hoof. “May I ask you a question?”

“Um…” He rubbed his hooves together. “Sure. But we’ll have to go soon.”

“What am I, to you?”

“Oh. To…” He cleared her throat and nodded. “You mean, do I think you’re my princess?”

She nodded. “That’s part of it, I suppose.”

“Well. No.” Taking his time to pick his words carefully, he went on. “Twilight is my princess. A hive needs to have a leader. Some creature has to inspect the children and settle disputes and provide a good example. But, while Twilight is a great leader, she isn’t our ruler. She’s more of a figurehead. And to be honest, I like it that way. I like being a changeling, and I am proud to be one. But I don’t want to go back to the old days, where a queen ruled the hive with an iron hoof.”

“Then why are you here?”

“I think we need more true-blooded changelings.” He gestured vaguely at her midriff. “We could survive without you. We can have foals, and teach them to make faces. But… as a people, the loss of the first generation diminished us. And without you, that will never heal.”

“So I’m not your queen, or your princess. To you, I’m a pregnant teenager, and you want to lay claim on my children.”

“Well, I, um…” A hot blush appeared in his face, and his eyes went down to the floor. “It’s different, for the others.”

“Mirror Pond does think I’m her queen. And she does want the old days back, of a strong hive and a single leader whose word is absolute. Doesn't she?”

“We’re all different.” Double Entry let out a breath. “I’m here for the hive. After Image owes Gallant a favor. Moth Orchid’s grandmother—a true-blood—guilted her into it. And Gallant doesn’t even think of himself as a changeling. He’s a pony, and he didn’t teach his children how to make faces. But he promised his mother he would. Double Time. I think you knew her?”

“I did know her,” Cheval said. “I tortured her, once. She defied me, so I cracked her mind like a walnut and undid years of healing in a second.”

“Well.” Double Entry paused. “That may be. But she made Gallant swear he would rescue you, when the time came. So I think she forgave you. Um… and I’m named after her. Kind of. I don’t know if that matters.”

“It probably doesn’t,” Cheval rolled over. “But we should go. Could you please remove the restraints on my legs? I’d like to walk.”

“I don’t think that would be a good idea,” Double Entry eyed her bonds. “No. Sorry.”


A railway line passed within two-hundred paces of the bunker. The coal train was run by yak laborers. Where no crystal ponies could see, they came to a halt on the tracks. Cheval and her rescues leapt into the crew compartment, and the train started off again.

In the tight confines of the train, it was difficult for Cheval to get time alone with Mirror Pond. But eventually, the others went up to the engine to speak with the crew.

“I think some of the feeling in my horn is coming back,” Cheval said. “It’s a mild tingling so far, but hopefully I’ll have my magic soon.”

“That’s wonderful.” Mirror Pond smiled. “You’ll be healed before you know it.”

“Some sleep helped. It helped me feel better as well. You were very understanding. Thank you, Mirror.”

“Oh, well…” Mirror smiled. “I mean, you’d had a rough day.”

“Very rough. I wasn’t prepared, to meet a creature who thinks I’m their queen.” Her words made Mirror Pond hesitate, but before Mirror could correct her, Cheval asked, “That is how you feel, right?

“Um…” Mirror was obviously caught off guard. “I, uh… I suppose so. I could call you, ‘your highness’ if your like.”

“That won’t be necessary. But I’d like to ask you a favor.” When Cheval spoke, Mirror’s eyes went down to the ropes on her legs. She anticipated what the favor would be, and braced herself for it.

Then, Cheval said, “I had a question about Gallant,” and all of Mirror’s preparation was for nothing.

“What?” she blinked, momentarily stunned. “Um, sure. What about him?”

“He considers himself a pony, not a changeling. He didn’t teach his children to make faces. Or so I heard.” She checked Mirror’s expression for confirmation before she went on. “Am I right that that was a controversial decision, in the hive?”

“Oh. Hah. Yes.” Mirror smiled a faint little smile. “He didn’t make a lot of friends. I heard he even got into a fight over it.”

“But he’s your friend. You respect him.”

“Of course. He’s a hero.” She cleared her throat. “You know, he saved Equestria. A bunch of times. There are books about him.”

“I’m sure,” Cheval said smoothly. But then she changed tacts, and it was with a faintly curious air that she asked. “Do you think his children are worse off?”

Again, Mirror froze. “What?”

“Are his children worse off because they’re ponies and not changelings?”

“No, I mean…” She paused. “No. They’re very sweet. He has three. Two colts and a filly. They’re grown now, but—”

“You don’t think they’re any worse off for being ponies. But you’re proud of what you are.” Cheval locked eyes with Mirror, and spoke slowly and firmly. “From what Moth said last night, ‘whore’ is still a slur for changelings. It is, isn’t it? Because you need to be loved. But it’s not true. You’ve never manipulated a pony to make them love you. You don’t need to. Your family loves you. Is that right?”

“Yes. My, uh…” Mirror froze, her eyes going to the floor. “I have four brother and sisters. And my parents love me. And my grandfather loved me when I was little. He was a true-blood. Died just last month. He’d have wanted to meet you.”

“So you can’t travel, the way Gallant’s children can. You need to be near the hive. You need to care about the hive. You’re bound to it. All you’ve ever done, to help your family, to show your love for your friends, all of it is reflected in that place.” Cheval drew in a breath. “And without me, it will eventually die.”

“I uh…” Mirror stumbled. “I’m not sure that—”

“Mirror, look at me,” Cheval commanded.

Mirror’s head snapped up. They locked eyes, and Cheval pinned her to the spot. And then, Cheval spoke.

“You want the old ways back,” her voice was barely above a whisper. “Well, I’m old enough to remember those ways. So let me tell you what they were like. The old ways are when drones swear, I am nothing without the hive. It’s when all that love and emotional investment that makes you proud of what you are gets turned against you. It’s when the bonds that tie you to your family become chains. And you become my slave.”

“It’s not—”

Cheval’s face twisted into a snarl, and her already hard tone turned threatening. “Drones do not speak in the queen’s presence unless asked a question.”

Mirror’s jaw snapped shut. It was pure reflex that made her obey. But they could hardly continue the conversation in silence, so Cheval asked her a question: “Is that what you want?”

“Stop it,” Mirror snapped, her voice tight. “It’s not like that. Things have changed. And you’re not Amaryllis.”

“You don’t know that. We’ve only just met. Maybe I could be kind, or just, or any of the other things that make a pony a good ruler. But you don’t know. You’re in love with a fantasy.” Then she asked. “How will the world be better, Mirror? How will it be better, if the true changeling race returns?”

“You deserve to exist.”

“That’s not an answer. You just said, there’s nothing wrong with being a pony. Gallant’s children aren’t any worse off. If all of you had happy lives, and loved each other, and raised your children well, but you didn’t teach them to make faces and in time the changeling race died. How would the world be worse off?”

“How would it be better off?” she snapped. “Huh?”

“The R-word,” Cheval answered.

An angry flush rose into Mirror’s face. “That’s not love. It doesn’t happen.”

“Never? It never happens anywhere ever? No changeling has ever abused their shapeshifting powers? Pretended to be somepony else and slept with a mare or stallion?”

Mirror’s voice trembled. “Shut up.”

“Your parents loved you,” Cheval snapped, “your grandparents loved you. And you want to pay back their love. You want to be worthy of it. And maybe you are. But what they did to you was wrong and what we are is bad. It would be better if you were a pony. And it would be better if I didn’t exist.”

Then Cheval said, “Drone, I command you to untie me.”

Mirror bit her lip. She lowered her head and squeezed her eyes shut. “You don’t have your powers back yet. You can’t control my mind.”

“And yet, you still feel compelled to obey me, don’t you? The same way all your comrades came here, even though none of you really think I’d make your lives any better.” She pushed her legs forward. “Untie me. Now.”

“No,” Mirror snapped. “No, I…”

She reached for Cheval’s bindings. She almost did it. But at the last moment, she pulled herself back. “You don’t know half as much as you think you do. I mean. How could you?”

Still recovering, still tense, Mirror shook herself out. “I’m a pony who was raised by changelings, and I consider myself a changeling. You’re a changeling who was raised by ponies. Have you ever even set hoof in a hive? Have you ever spent time there, seen the children, talked to the young ones about picking a caste? I don’t think so. Sure, you’ve got the bloodline, but in your heart I don’t think you’re a changeling at all. You’re a pony with a massive self-loathing complex. And who could blame you?”

“I did things, Mirror.”

“Fifty years ago!”

Cheval snorted, “Last week.”

“You’ve been punished enough!” She shouted. “And… and fuck you. You can’t condemn my culture because you read some books about it half a century ago, and you’ve decided it’s worthless. No creature has that power. Even if you are my queen. You haven't even seen my hive."

“Do you really think seeing your quaint little house in Ponyville is going to change my answer?”

“I don’t know,” Mirror snapped. “Will it? Will you actually explore Ponyville and see what there is to see?”

“There’s nothing there.”

“Fine.” She sniffed. “Then promise me you’ll actually do it. Promise you’ll actually see the Ponyville hive, and not just throw yourself off the train at the first chance.”

“Why should I?”

“Because Double Time wanted you to, and you abused her. You did things to her no creature has the right to do.” Mirror Pond drew her back her mouth into a snarl. “So if you’re actually sorry instead of just bitter, and you actually want to make things right, you’ll honor her last request.”

Cheval paused, her eyes went down to her legs. “I… it’s not…”

“No more fancy talking,” Mirror stepped up to her. “Yes or no?”

After a long pause, Cheval mumbled a quiet: “Fine.”