• Published 19th May 2019
  • 2,470 Views, 49 Comments

Twilight's Life As a Red and Black Alicorn - Mystic Sunrise



Having gone through a phase all alicorns do in time, Twilight must now deal with the annoyances her new outlook brings her.

  • ...
25
 49
 2,470

Friends, Family, and Mentor

Twilight's life since her recent, color scheme shift, had not changed all that much. She still got up at the same time and had the same morning routine.

Wake, watch the sunrise, shower, make a cup of coffee, then breakfast with Spike or at Sugarcube Corner depending on her mood, pick a book to read, and hope something interesting happened.

One that didn't involve dragging Discord to the ends of Equestria thank you very much.

Her recent shift in colors though had brought some lingering annoyances. Most of Ponyville had seemingly grown used to it by now, even if she did still get an occasional odd look or giggle.

It was her friend's reactions Twilight worried about. Spike and Rarity already knew of course, but Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie didn't.

Twilight still felt a little guilty she had first blamed the two of them for this. She hoped they wouldn't be too mad at her about it.

So far none of the girls had visited her, but that wouldn't last forever, and she couldn't stay in the Friendship Castle for the rest of her life.

However long that was. It was something Twilight was anxious to answer before she had to find out the hard way.

The same could be said for Cadance as well. As far as either of them knew, both of them had a normal life span maybe a little longer. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna on the other hoof?

Well, nopony really knew for sure. Most thought the sisters were eternal. Twilight had never asked either her mentor or her sister. It hadn't seemed important at the time. Now the thought wouldn't leave her alone.

She made a mental note to change that at some point in the future. Right after she handled this latest change to her life.

Today was her weekly get together with her friends in the Throne Room. It would also be the first time most of them would see her new look.

Twilight could only hope everything went well.

***

In hindsight, she should've seen this coming. Really, what else did she expect to happen?

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were rolling on the floor laughing while the others tried to process what Twilight was showing them. Only Applejack seemed to be taking it the best, or so Twilight hoped anyway.

"Um. That's not very nice you know," Fluttershy tried to tell Rainbow and Pinkie but neither was listening.

Twilight sighed. "No. Let them get it out of their system. I kind of deserve it at this point for not telling you girls sooner."

Applejack pushed her hat up to her brow a little. "I'm wondering how in the hay this happened to ya and why now?"

Twilight shrugged. "Princess Luna said it's something that happens to all alicorns in their lives. We morph into a new set of colors." She pointed at herself. "This is mine I guess."

Fluttershy tapped her chin as a thought came to her. "Princess Luna did seem to look different when we first met her. Not as Nightmare Moon I mean."

Twilight nodded. "Exactly. This was going to happen to me sooner or later. Guess it was sooner for me."

"But why now?" Rainbow asked as she and Pinkie got their laughter under control.

Twilight shrugged. "Our best guess is that me having all the alicorn magic in Equestria may have jump-started the process. It was going to happen no matter what."

"But why like this?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight threw her hooves up in exasperation. "I have no idea! I can live with a new set of colors if I knew it was coming, but not like this. I can't change back either."

"No magic?" Rarity asked.

Twilight shook her head. "I'd have to keep the spell running constantly, and I've got too much else going on to concentrate on it all the time."

Everyone shared a look as Twilight crossed her legs and harrumphed. Pinkie was the first to rush over and pull Twilight into a hug. The others soon followed.

Twilight kept her pout up a moment before relaxing into the hug. "Thanks, guys. You're the best. I needed that."

As the group held the hug, Twilight's mind turned to another. She was visiting her parents for a week in a few days. She wondered how her parents would take her new look.

And for that matter, what would Princess Celestia say?

***

in her long life, Princess Celestia had seen few things that could make her burst out laughing and most of those that had were Discord's doing.

Her former student, Twilight Sparkle's new look though was sorely testing that limit at the moment though. Luna had told her about it of course, but seeing it for herself was altogether different. For the moment she was keeping it to herself, but it was a losing battle.

Twilight though saw it and crossed her hooves and pouted. "Oh, go right ahead and laugh. Everyone else has. Maybe then we can talk about this like the civilized adults were supposed to be!"

That did it for Celestia as she burst out laughing. It was a sound few in the castle had ever heard the normally calm Sun Princess make. One look at Twilight Sparkle though and few couldn't help but laugh too. Even the Royal Guards couldn't keep a straight face.

This went on for several minutes, during which Twilight just sat there and glared at her former mentor. She would've never considered doing this a few months earlier.

At this point though she was done with this whole thing. "Feeling better?" She snarked once the laughter began to die down.

Celestia wiped away a few tears. "I am sorry Twilight. But you must admit that this is just a bit funny."

"Not to me, it's not," Twilight replied. "I'd rather be anything but this. I can take getting a new set of colors eventually." She waived a wing. "But this? I look some stupid mary-sue in a fanfic written by some idiot author who doesn't know a thing about writing a good story!"

Celestia's smile softened. "I truly am sorry Twilight, but as Luna said, we cannot reverse this. You can, of course, hide it with magic."

Twilight sighed. "But I can't keep the spell up forever. I just wish I had more time to prepare for it before it happened."

Celestia nodded. "It tends to happen out of the blue. We rarely have time to prepare for it. Neither I or Luna did for sure."

While she didn't like the sound of that, it had roused Twilight's interest. "What did you use to look like Princess Celestia?"

Celestia looked sheepish for a moment. "I honestly can't remember after so long. Luna on the other hoof does. Remember how she looked after her release from Nightmare Moon?"

Twilight nodded. It was hard to forget that sight. Whether Luna agreed with it or not, she had been so cute that first morning.

"That was as near to her original look as she has looked in a long time," Celestia explained. "We are not sure why though."

Twilight nodded. It wasn't much, but this talk with the princess had helped calm her nerves about all this by a large margin and she was grateful for it.

Now came the part she dreaded the most. Telling her parents.

***

This, Twilight felt, was why she should spend more time with her family. They didn't see each other near enough, and it broke her heart. She vowed to change that in the future.

While she was still in Canterlot after her meeting with Princess Celestia, she had felt it was time to tell and show her parents what had happened to her recently. To her surprise, she wasn't the only one visiting.

Cadance and Shining Armor had come down from the Crystal Empire for a weekend visit as well. While Twilight was always happy to see her brother and sister-in-law, she hadn't thought how she would explain this to them.

So now here the five of them sat, in the Living Room of the Sparkle Estate. Night Light and Twilight Velvet were taking this rather well all things considered. Neither of them was laughing at all and were more in a state of shock at their daughter's new look.

Cadance was as surprised as her parents. But Twilight could see a part of her wasn't all that surprised. Twilight had to remind herself that the same would happen to her one day. Hopefully, she came out looking better than Twilight had.

Shining on the other hoof? He looked red in the face, and Twilight had a pretty good idea as to why he would look like that at the time. It was the last straw for Twilight.

"Shinny. I swear that if you even so much as snicker, I will expose all of your dirty secrets to Cadance," she grumbled as she glared at him. Cadance looked excited at the prospect.

That shut Shining up real fast as he glared back at her. "You wouldn't," he retorted.

Twilight just smiled innocently as she crossed her hooves. "Try me."

Cadance snickered as Shining grumbled. "Aunt Celestia mentioned that this is something that happens to all alicorns. I just didn't expect to happen to you now Twilight. Or like this."

Twilight relaxed a little. "I know. I just wish I had more time to prepare for it. I wasn't ready for this."

"But why now?" Velvet asked.

Twilight shook her head. "Princess Celestia thinks that me having all of the alicorn magic in Equestria against Tirek jump-started the process. I would've been happy knowing it was coming."

She slumped in her chair. "Heck. I would've even gotten used to a new set of colors in time. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna went through the same thing. But not like this."

"So why these colors?" Her dad asked.

Twilight shrugged. "I don't know. And I can't even hide it with magic. I would have to keep the spell running all the time, and I have way too much going on to do that."

"How did Ponyville take it?" Cadance asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Aside from all the giggles and odd looks, rather well. Guess they're used to all the odd stuff that happens to me or around me any more."

"What about your friends?" Shining asked.

Twilight chuckled. "Aside from Pinkie and Rainbow laughing at me like a couple of maniacs, they took it just as well as the rest of Ponyville."
While that helped ease most of their concerns, one thing remained. "What about your friend Sunset? Does she know?" Velvet asked.

Twilight stopped as the question registered with her. In fact, Sunset didn't know about any of this. None of her Canterlot High friends did. How was she going to explain this to them?

What would she even look like now across the World Mirror? She slumped as she thought about it. "No. Sunset doesn't know. I think that this is something that I need to show them in person though."

"Person?" Night Light asked.

Twilight knocked herself upside the head for that slip. It wasn't known about the other world. Only Cadance did aside from Twilight here. She smiled after a second. "In pony. This is something I need to show her and our friends in pony."

Twilight and Cadance shared a quick glance. Neither of them liked lieing to their family. But it had been decided that knowledge of the World Mirror and the Human World wasn't ready to be known by all.

Twilight didn't like the idea of hiding it even less. But she knew why it had to be kept a secret, at least for now. While most ponies probably wouldn't care all that much, some would be interested in it. Some to an unhealthy degree maybe.

Some might even go as to try and steal the mirror from the Castle of Friendship if they knew what it could do and what it was. Or worse to try and get access to it.

That was why Twilight kept it disconnected most of the time. That and she didn't know what her tampering with it had done to the magic that made it work in the first place.

No reason to take any chances. But with her family now in the know, it was time Twilight told her human friends. They deserved to know as much as anyone.