• Published 5th May 2019
  • 1,360 Views, 56 Comments

Head Over Heels - FoolAmongTheStars



Starlight has admired Sunburst ever since they were kids, but she's having trouble finding the courage to tell him so.

  • ...
2
 56
 1,360

xiv. The Cave

Starlight peeked out of the corner of her eye at Sunburst, who was staring idly out at the rain instead of studying the list of tinctures Stygian wanted him to memorize. Dad had taken Sunset to Mist Mane’s greenhouse so she could check on some of her wounds, so it was just the two of them. Now might be a good time to show him.

Trying to sound casual, the eleven-year-old filly cleared her throat and said, "We could go for a walk... if you want?" He looked up in surprise, and she added, "There's someplace I want to show you."


They splashed through puddles all the way to the meadow above the village where mossy stones marked Sire's Hollow cemetery. This time, instead of stopping beneath the ancient tree to pay their respects, Starlight hurried Sunburst towards the mouth of the cave that stood beyond. Once they reached its cover, she set aside their umbrella and started forward, undaunted by the darkness.

"What is this place?" the thirteen-year-old colt asked uncertainly.

"A shrine."

"It's kind of spooky," Sunburst remarked.

"There's better light further down," she assured, then bashfully held out her hoof. "It's safe." When his cold hoof slipped across her callused one, Starlight was glad he couldn't see her faint blush.

The passage opened into an immense cavern which was partially lit by grey daylight that filtered through a series of uneven crevices near the ceiling. She knew the moment Sunburst realized what lay in the shadows because he gasped and edged closer to her. "Is that a changeling?" he whispered.

"Used to be," she acknowledged with a shrug. Her gaze was fixed on the sad smile of the valiant stallion held aloft in the mass of evil creatures.

In moments, Sunburst spotted him, too. "Who's he?"

"His name was Star Swirl," she replied. "Our village is named for him."

The young wizards gaze roved over the tangled bodies of more creatures, each one stranger than the last than anyone wished to count. They pile high on top of each other, their bodies made out of stone, some had eroded away and only had a vague equine shape, their faces twisted with expressions of pain and hatred. Those with claws were reaching for the ceiling, or more specifically towards Star Swirl, who dangled in the grip of an enormous dragon, it's jaws open and pointed towards the pony in his claws. "This is the place of the final battle?"

"I'm not exactly sure. Maybe we could ask Prince Bramble?"

"Why would he know?" he asked curiously.

"Star Swirl saved his great-great grandfather's life," Starlight replied, nodding towards the serene-faced stallion who had single-handedly changed their world. "Because of his sacrifice, King Aspen the First and Princess Celestia began to work for peace between ponies and other creatures."

"He's the reason the conflict ended," Sunburst whispered in awe, his hoof over his heart, right where a hole gaped in Star Swirls' chest.

"Yes." With a sidelong glance, she added, "You should have read about it in the books you were assigned over the winter."

"But I thought it was a fairy tale, so I didn’t give it much attention,” Sunburst mumbled, pushing his glasses up his nose. "Erm...so...do you visit him often?"

"Not so much anymore. Dad used to bring me before Mom...you know," Starlight replied. "Tending this shrine was his duty."

"Oh," Sunburst replied softly, touching the mare's shoulder sympathetically. "Who does it now?"

"Stygian will take care of it until the next shrine-keeper is found."

"Oh! Is your father looking for someone?"

"N-not exactly," she admitted, scuffing her hoof in the dirt at their feet. "He kinda said he'd leave it up to me."

"You?”

"Well, yeah. That's just how it works... n'stuff," Starlight replied awkwardly. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to bring Sunburst here. "It's not like I'd let anyone else pick him."

Her discomfort caught his attention, and his eyes took on the sparkle of curiosity. "Starlight," he crooned sweetly, leaning down to look her in the eye. "Who's going to be the next keeper of Star Swirl’s shrine?"

It wasn't a big secret. Not really. But that didn't make it any easier to tell him. Blushing to the roots of her hair, Starlight mumbled, "My husband."