• Published 5th May 2019
  • 1,356 Views, 56 Comments

Head Over Heels - FoolAmongTheStars



Starlight has admired Sunburst ever since they were kids, but she's having trouble finding the courage to tell him so.

  • ...
2
 56
 1,356

i. An Act of Kindness

Their little remote town was popular this time of the year.

Sire’s Hollow was once famous for the talented unicorns that had been born there. Of course, when Princess Celestia opened her School for Gifted Unicorns some two hundred years ago; most unicorns would go there instead of Sire’s Hollow for their magical training. Still, the folks of the town kept up with the tradition of teaching their young the basis of magic, with special permission of the Crown to do so. The teachings and records of their ancestors were the foundations of modern magical education.

Starlight loved their mountain home, tucked away though it was from many modern conveniences. She loved the ever-changing mists that trickled through the forests in autumn, the still hush of snow that piled up to the eaves in winter, and the shy woodland flowers that peeped through the leaf mold in springtime. But this was summer, and summers in Sire’s Hollow were something else.

Every year, their town was opened to guests who came to learn more about the old ways. Young unicorns with magic talent had a summer camp. Those with interest in combat, tested their skills against young dragons eager to prove their superiority. Old mares taught herb lore, and old stallions traded tales that grew more fantastical with every pass of the apple cider. They even got their share of tourists. Curiosity seekers and photographers snuck in all the time, hoping to catch a glimpse of otherworldly creatures who were powerful, mysterious, and often beautiful.

For the most part, Starlight kept to herself during the busy season, watching the excitement from the sidelines, but in the year that she turned nine, she received her first challenge. Every summer, some new-comer would get it in their heads that the fastest way to impress their peers was to defeat a local. Up until now, Sunset Shimmer had defended their town's long and proud history, and Starlight really wished it had stayed that way.

“You can go first,” offered her opponent nobly.

“Thanks,” she muttered glumly. Knees wobbling, she jumped from stone to stone, picking her way towards the two big rocks that jutted from the middle of a swiftly rushing river. It was the favorite sparring spot for unicorns and dragons, and the only reason it wasn’t technically off-limits for Starlight was that her parents knew she’d never go near it. She couldn’t swim.

Taking her position on the upstream rock, Starlight turned wide, azure eyes on the camper who was itching for a fight, automatically assessing the older filly’s stance, reach and balance. Physically, her challenger had the advantage, for Starlight was small for her age; but size wasn’t everything when it came to magic.

“You ready?” taunted the filly whose name she didn’t know.

Her horn glowed and Starlight gave a quick nod. She wasn’t particularly worried. She could fight; they all could. The children of Sire’s Hollow were taught the basis of magic right along with potty training and almost could handle a basic disarming spell by the time they could handle their eating utensils. However, that didn’t mean Starlight liked fighting. So, she resorted to the old and true method for avoiding conflict: she would end the fight before it could properly begin.

The filly never knew what hit her. With one flash of her horn Starlight had her off balance, and in the next instant, she was floating in the air momentarily, then tossed rump first into the river. A cheer sounded, and Starlight turned to see her twelve-year-old neighbor walking along the river bank. Sunset Shimmer raised her hoof victoriously and grinned at her, and she gave a small smile in return. For a moment, her attention was caught by the pony next to her.

That must be the new pony Dad was talking about. He’s a wizard…or will be. Something about him seemed familiar.

Meanwhile, her vanquished rival managed to swim back to her rock and was struggling to pull herself out of the river. Starlight leaped lightly to the second rock and knelt, extending her hoof.

“No hard feelings?” she asked politely.

“Think again,” she sneered as she took Starlight’s hoof, then used the grip to jerk the smaller filly of her feet. With a yelp of surprise, the unicorn was pitch into the river.

Icy panic coursed through Starlight as the current spun her away. Her eyes, ears, and nose filled with water, and she couldn't remember which way was up. Light and dark spun crazily, and her heart pounded so fast, she thought it might burst. It seemed to go on forever; then suddenly, she bumped into something, and she was jerked upwards by her hair.

"Gotcha!" triumphantly exclaimed a colt's voice.

Coughing and sputtering, Starlight clung desperately to her savior, but he firmly turned her around and wrapped his hoof around her slim shoulders, keeping her afloat. "I've got you," he promised. "Don't panic, you'll pull us both down!"

There was not much else Starlight could do, so as she heaved air into her aching lungs, she latched onto that one hoof and tried to relax. The river was still carrying them downstream, but he expertly cut across the current, aiming for shore. When his hooves scraped the bottom, he dragged her to her feet and supported her through a clumsy scramble onto one of the big boulders that lined the rushing river. "Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked kindly as he lowered her onto the sun-baked stone.

Starlight dumbly shook her head. What had happened—or almost happened—was only just sinking in, and she sat up and hunched her shoulders miserably. The purple of her mane seemed to pale around her face, and she began trembling uncontrollably. He dropped down beside her and slipped his hoof around her shoulders for comfort. "I saw what that other pony did... such a cheap trick," he remarked indignantly. "You were great, and she was a total jerk."

"Th-thank you," she managed weakly.

"When Sunset hollered that you couldn't swim, I was furious! It all happened pretty fast, but I told her I would definitely reach you on time. And I was right!" He bent his head to catch her eye. "Your name's Starlight?"

"Y-yeah."

"I'm Sunburst." The colt gave her a small squeeze and chatted on. "Sunset will probably be along any minute. I'm pretty sure she's beating the tar out of the idiot who dumped you into the water."

She cracked a tiny smile. Yeah, that's Sunset, all right. Her temper was cataclysmic. "She'll come," she acknowledged quietly. To be honest, she was surprised she hadn't found them yet. Peering blankly at their surroundings, she murmured, "We went pretty far."

"Yep! This river's deep... and fast. I'm just glad there weren't any rapids."

"Those start around that bend," she pointed out, gesturing towards the spot where the water disappeared behind a stand of trees.

"Really? Wow... just in time, huh?" Sunburst replied with a shaky laugh.

That's when Starlight noticed how rattled he sounded, and she stole a glance at his face. With his free hoof, he distractedly pulled at his bangs, tousling them so they fluffed out as they dried. The rest of his short, orange hair was plastered to his neck, and once more, she thought there was something familiar about his face. "Have you been here before?" she asked curiously.

"Nope. This is my first time, though I'm not sure I should have come here at all," he replied with a nervous smile. "That old wizard has been giving me all kinds of tests, and I'm horrible at everything."

"My Dad mentioned you," Starlight offered. "He said Stygian thinks you're something special."

"He told you that?”

The mare shrugged. "I hear stuff."

"So, you're an eavesdropper?" Sunburst asked lightly.

"Not on purpose," she defended. "Others sometimes forget I'm there."

"Well... I'm glad somepony thinks I'm special," he said with a sigh. "I certainly don't feel like it. The other ponies are way more advanced than me.”

Starlight solemnly studied Sunburst's face. He obviously had the courage, which was essential. The rest of what he lacked could be learned. "Do you want to improve?" she asked.

"Of course!"

"Then we'll teach you," she said simply. "It's what we do, and we're very good at it."

Sunburst’s next smile was slower in coming, but it was braver, brighter, and maybe just a little bit cute. It turned her cheeks pink. Perhaps it was gratitude. Perhaps it was fate. Who can say what teaches the heart to soar? In any event, on that momentous day, at the tender age of nine, Starlight Glimmer fell in love.

Author's Note:

This is a small story with small chapters, mostly written around the idea of "What if they had grown up together?" Which was reason enough for me not to stick it in 'Bits and Pieces', since there's going to be some semblance of a plot here (I know, I'm as shocked as you are.) This romance is not in a hurry, and neither am I. Consider yourselves warned! :raritywink: