• Published 28th Apr 2019
  • 950 Views, 7 Comments

I Wish I Had Soarin's Girl - Ink Rain



Fluttershy considers Rainbow Dash to be her very best friend. But something changes when Rainbow Dash begins to date Soarin.

  • ...
6
 7
 950

Denial

“Romantically!?” Fluttershy gasped, eyes wide at Twilight. She shook her head. “Oh no, that can’t be it. I’ve never thought about Rainbow Dash as being anything other than my friend. She’s like my sister.”

Twilight wasn’t completely convinced. “Have you ever felt attracted to another mare before?”

Fluttershy hesitated a bit. “Oh, yes, I’ve had crushes on other mares in the past. And Rainbow Dash knows I’m attracted to both stallions and mares. I told her in the past I had a crush on a filly while I was in elementary school… and then I told her I liked Big Macintosh a long time ago… and then I told her I liked--.”

“Okay, I get the picture.” Twilight interrupted. “Do you know if she likes mares, too?”

The pegasus lowered her head onto the table, both her ears and eyes facing downwards. “She’s… she told me she doesn’t have any interest in mares, only stallions. So there's no way she'd ever feel the same way because she can't.”

Twilight nodded as she listened. “Well, one thing is for sure; you feel threatened by Soarin in a way, even if he doesn’t mean to. It’s normal to get jealous when you’re close with someone and they suddenly start spending more time with another pony.” At this time, Spike had arrived into the room with a tray of cookies. Upon setting them onto the table, Twilight levitated a couple from the tray onto the small plate in front of Fluttershy, causing her to glance back up. “But regardless, Rainbow Dash isn’t going to abandon you, Fluttershy. She cares deeply for you and wants nothing but for you to be happy like you do for her. All I can really say is to be careful with your jealous feelings. Like any other emotion, it's normal and can be expressed in healthy ways, but don't let it overpower you and cause you to do something you'd regret.”


Fluttershy? In love with Rainbow Dash? Fluttershy was still surprised at Twilight’s implication even after she left the alicorn’s castle. The yellow pegasus felt she couldn’t go back to her cottage. Not just yet. She opted to stroll around Ponyville for a while on her own to gather her thoughts.

The idea of Fluttershy having romantic feelings for her friend had never crossed her mind before. At least, she believed so. Come to think of it, it started to make sense the more Fluttershy thought of it. She could recall feeling butterflies in her tummy whenever Rainbow Dash would strike a confident pose, or the fact Fluttershy could listen to Rainbow Dash ramble on about her passion of flying and being apart of the Wonderbolts all day long, or how genuinely overjoyed she felt when Rainbow accomplished performing a Sonic Rainboom despite the pressure brought on by the taunting of others. She did wonder what it'd be like if the two dated a long time ago, but she shook off the thought when she learned Rainbow wasn't into mares.

Before she knew it, the sun had started to set, and the sky had turned a beautiful orange. She sat down at the edge of the riverbank.

“What if… I really am in love with Rainbow Dash?” She asked her own reflection, which mirrored her clueless expression. “Even if I am, she’ll never be able to love me back. But if I really loved her… shouldn’t I be happy for her?” She eyed a frog on a nearby patch of lily pads, which was joined by another frog.

“Oh my, what if she finds out how I feel about her? What if it makes her feel awkward, and she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore? What if I do something out of jealousy and she never forgives me? I don’t think I could ever bear to lose her.” A tear managed to fall from one of her watery eyes, she wiped it with her hoof. “Oh, why. Why do I have to feel this way?”

“Hey, Fluttershy, are you okay?” Fluttershy jumped as she heard a familiar voice nearby.

“Rainbow Dash!” She exclaimed in surprise, lifting her hooves to her face to wipe her teary eyes. How much did Rainbow Dash hear? “Yes.. I’m okay.” The usual response she gave even when she gave even when she was obviously not okay. The sound of hoofprints in the grass came closer and Rainbow sat herself down next to Fluttershy, who kept her gaze on the river.

“Still a bit overwhelmed from what happened at the party?” The cyan pegasus asked sympathetically.

“Oh...!” Fluttershy said, feeling relieved. Rainbow must have not heard much. “… I suppose I still am a little bit.”

Her heart started pounding when Rainbow Dash suddenly wrapped her wing around her and pulled her close. "I understand. I'm sorry about that. I didn't think Pinkie Pie was going to get as wound up as she did." Rainbow Dash chuckled, pulling her friend closer to her. Fluttershy hoped Rainbow Dash wouldn't notice her light blush. "I guess it wasn't such a great idea to have a party with so much cider, cake, and candy, huh?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess it wasn't," Fluttershy muttered, trying to crack a simple smile.

"I'll admit, it was kinda funny when she started dancing on one of the tables and slipped on a pie, sent it into the air, and it fell on her face while she was flat on the table. Thankfully, she wasn't hurt. In fact, she was the first one to laugh at that!"

"Oh, I think I missed that." Fluttershy couldn't deny that the thought brought a bit of a smile to her face. She probably would've been laughing with everyone else if she wasn't crying her eyes out in the bathroom.

Rainbow Dash stood and helped her friend back up. "Anyway, how about we go grab a bite to eat at the Cafe? Soarin and I were heading over there anyway and we'd love for you to join us!"

"Soarin?" Fluttershy didn't even notice he was standing nearby at first. He gave her a friendly smile and a wave, she gave him a meek smile back but she felt a rock drop in her stomach. "Oh, no thanks. I'm not hungry." She said, just right before her stomach growled loudly.


Inside the Clover Cafe, Fluttershy quietly munched on her daisy sandwich while Rainbow Dash and Soarin were laughing and chatting it up. Of course, the two weren't leaving her out of the conversation completely, but they were mainly talking about their misadventures within the Wonderbolts. Something Fluttershy had no participation in thus nothing to really say about. Even if they didn't mean it, she couldn't help but feel... ignored.

"And get this," Soarin took a munch out of his covered hay fries before continuing with a full mouth. "Spitfire still teases me about the whole 'apple pie' thing from the Grand Galloping Gala long ago. When I told her you and I were seeing each other, she joked about me bringing an apple pie to the first date."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and playfully nudged Soarin with a chuckle. "Imagine instead of a wedding cake, a wedding apple pie!"

"And all the guests must bring other apple desserts as wedding gifts!" Rainbow Dash said as she and Soarin went into another roar of laughter.

"Good thing I know the just pony that can hook everyone else up for that!" She said, lightly stroking the stallion's foreleg with her hoof.

Fluttershy let out a soft huff through her nose. What's this talk about weddings? Didn't Rainbow Dash say they weren't even officially dating yet? And why did she have to be so touchy towards him around Fluttershy?

Eventually, the waiter came back to their table with desserts, setting down an ice cream sundae for Fluttershy and a root beer float for Rainbow Dash and Soarin. The couple sipped on their float through their straws, giving each other lovey dovey eyes while Fluttershy took small bites of her ice cream.

"Hey, Fluttershy, think fast!" Before Fluttershy could blink, Rainbow Dash had taken a bit of whipped cream from her sundae with the tip of her hoof and poked her nose, leaving a bit on her nose. An old joke they liked to play with each other for the longest time now. With a smile now on Fluttershy's face, she dabbed a bit of whipped cream onto her friend's nose back with a laugh. The blue pegasus attempted to reach her nose with tongue before laughing and turning back to Soarin, who kissed the whipped cream off her nose and planted a kiss onto Rainbow Dash's lips.

Fluttershy immediately averted from the sight, teeth clenched and tears forming in her eyes once again.

"Are you okay, Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash asked, but her friend kept her gaze away from her.

"Yes. I'm okay," Fluttershy tried to hide the anger in her voice. "I just remembered, I need to go home and feed Angel." She left some bits on the table for her portion of the bill before walking out of the Cafe without another word.

"Is everything okay with her?" Soarin asked, clearly concerned.

Rainbow Dash sighed. "Yeah. She was overwhelmed last night at the party. Because of the very large crowd and Pinkie Pie's wild antics, y'know? It's probably just still a bit rough for her to be in public places after that."

"Are you sure, Dashie?"

"I'm fairly sure," Rainbow Dash gave him a reassuring smile. "Trust me, she’s my best friend. If something else was going on with her, she'd tell me."

Author's Note:

PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING
First of all, I hope this chapter is at least somewhat better than the first one. I was clouded with emotion when I was writing the first one, but I've been feeling a bit better. And, yes, Rainbow Dash is straight in this story, and you can probably see where this is all going now. Personally, I like to think of her as bisexual myself and I like a couple different ships with her including SoarinDash and FlutterDash. But as I said in the notes of the previous chapter, this is a vent story based on something I've been going through so I'm basing it on my situation as close as I can.
And for those who have been reading since the first chapter, I decided to rename the first chapter and make this one 'Denial' to fix the pacing a bit. You can probably guess what the next chapter will be. ;3
Anyway, hope you enjoyed!