• Published 25th Apr 2019
  • 279 Views, 0 Comments

Born in a Stable - Trooper



A prequel to FoE: Borderlands. Two best friends flying home from Filllydelphia to Cloudsdale stop at a community in the heartland that changes their fates.

  • ...
 0
 279

FoE: Born in a Stable

Born in a Stable

By Trooper

There are times in our lives that we all look back and wonder, how did I get to this point? What fates have brought us here? For me, this is one of them. Once again, I am waiting at the Stable 48 Medical department. This is the third time in all these years I have made this wait for this reason. To tell the truth, I never expected to live this long, especially on that last day. It was the last time I ever, truly flew. As I sit here waiting with the others I have to smile as I look back and reminisce.

My name is Cloud Seeder, and as you can see I am a pegasus. One of the only two who made it into our stable. The other is my best friend Winter Wind. Of course, both of us being bucks, there is no way we were going to propagate our species of pony together, for obvious reasons.

Back then I was an aspiring poet. However, my real job was being a weather control warden along with Winter Wind who worked with me as my wingbuck. The war had been going on for over twenty years; since we were both colts, but being weather wardens, we were exempt from being drafted into the army. Before you ask, no, that is not why we weather wardens, we weren't draft dodgers. Other things besides fighting were important too now.

In fact, we did risk our lives. Anyone who has ever seen an Anvil Cloud going up during the spring or late fall will tell you that. In fact, I lost several of my friends over those years trying to stop just those types of storms. Those weather control towers did help some, but they also reduced the number of wardens available. But enough about that. Just one more twist in the road for how I ended up here.

It was the last few days before the Fall; Winter Wind and I had flown to Fillydelphia to visit some of our family members. We had an enjoyable visit there. They were good days, and they were also horrible days, but they were days I will never forget.

While we were there the zebra threats had been escalating. We all knew about Stable Tec and the shelters they were building. They were building so many that it seemed everyone knew where one was, but not where any others were.

While in Filly, there were several times the sirens were sounded, but each time it was for a drill. We could tell they were only drills because their sound was high pitched, but was only one tone, it did not modulate at all.

It would take us several days flying to get back to Cloudsdale from Filly. Our vacation time was getting short and we needed to get back, so one day after one of the tests, Winter Wind and I said our goodbyes and headed back.

Often times while flying somewhere WInter and I would just chat about things to keep our minds busy. It was during one of these idle periods of flight that we made a life-altering decision, we just did not know it yet.

“You know Winter, I will sure be glad to get back home to Cloudsdale.”

“I hear you Cloud, all those times with the sirens and drills, they have got me on edge more than a rookie during their first spring storm season.”

“What do you say on the way back we stop in Manesville for lunch and some coffee? I know the scenery is nice around there and besides, I would love to get a look at the new General Carriage plant they built there. I hear they are running it three shifts.”

“Sounds like a plan to me. Besides, the rail lines make really good landmarks if we get tired while flying.”

With that decision made, everything will change for us. We land by the town's waterfront on the Hoofstone River. The river is covered with small boats and barges sailing up and down it. As we are coming in to land I even notice some foals on the boats waving at us. Winter, ever the show off does a small barrel roll as he waves back. Once on the ground though my mind is back on getting a good meal.

“You know I hear that they have some really good food at the local taverns here Winter. What do you say to a cider and perhaps some hay burgers and fried cheese curds?”

“Cloud is that all you think about, food and cider?” he asks with a laugh.

“Oh, you know better than that, there are also mares and the weather, a buck has to know his limits,” I joke back.

“Ok, sounds good. How about that place right there with the tables outside, it’s nice enough that we should be able to enjoy the sights and all. Besides, some of these Heartland mares are kinda cute to look at.”

“Come on Winter, what about that little filly back in Cloudsdale you been having your eye on? I have seen you talking to her. What’s her name, Southern Wind?”

“Southern Breeze thank you, and hey it's not like I am doing more than looking. A little bit of flank watching never hurt anyone alright.” He tells me.

The waitress we end up getting is actually a cow. I see her name tag is Bessie. This surprises me a bit as I have never noticed cattle working in real jobs. They were always on the farms.

“Hey flyboys, what can I get you today?” She asks.

“I’ll have a cider and a fescue burger with swiss cheese, please,” I tell her.

“And how about you Hon, what do you want?” She then asks Winter.

“I will have the rye and fescue mix hay burger with a side of mixed vegetables and maybe some strawberries for dessert,” he tells her.

“Alright boys, I will have that up for you in a little bit.”

As we are sitting there waiting, I tend to notice that many of the jobs typically done by ponies are being done by cattle here. I look inside the tavern through the open doorway and on the wall I see a painting of a cow sitting cross-legged with both forehooves held out. Her eyes are closed and she looks to be meditating. When Bessie comes back with our drinks, I have to ask her about it.

“Oh, that is a painting of Sweet Cream, the goddess of our cattle religion. Those of us who practice believe that she gave birth to the world and all who inhabit it.” She tells us. “Normally we do not talk about it to outsiders. But since you asked, I figured what could it hurt.”

That is when Winter Wind begins to look a bit concerned “But what about The Goddesses Luna and Celestia? Don’t you believe in them?”

“But of course, we believe in them, it is hard not to; with them actually being in the flesh on this plane of existence. We tend to look at them as sisters or children of Sweet Cream. Yes, they too are revered in our religion as they control the days and the nights. Sweet Cream, well she judges us at the end of each lifetime, and she helps us decide if we have learned enough to pass onto the next level of existence, or if we need to return to learn more.” Bessie tells us.

I have to question her more, “Wait, you mean that when you die, you believe that your soul may come back and begin another life as another cow?”

“Yes and no. I believe that my soul has been here before. Perhaps as a sand dog, or a griffin, or even a pony or cow, however, I have more lessons to learn. When I die, I will be judged by my actions and what I have learned. After that, my soul may come back to Equestria or it may go somewhere else. But the cycle continues.” She pauses for a second then tells us, “I best get going boys, your food should be ready. That and my boss may not be happy with me just chit-chatting away.”

With that, she goes into the tavern and shortly returns with our meals plus two more ciders for us. “I know you did not order the extra ciders; those are on me. Thank you for listening to me and not being offended or upset. Let me know if you need anything else.” She then goes on and tends to some other ponies and a tableful of cattle that have since arrived.

We dig into our meals and really enjoy them. The fescue is just perfect. We are just finishing up our ciders when we hear it. The sound that we all hoped we would never hear. The warning siren.

Unlike what we heard in Filly, this time the sound wavers back and forth in its pitch. Bessie comes out in almost a panic. It is then I notice she is one of the lucky ones wearing a Stable-Tec PipBuck. She looks at us. “Go, boys get out of here, For the love of Sweet Cream, it's real this time. She is looking right at us when I experience the brightest flash of light I have ever seen in my life, from behind my back, quickly followed by two more. Winter and I turn around as Bessie puts her hooves to her eyes.

“OH, DEAR GODDESSES, THAT WAS CLOUDSDALE!” I scream.

Several minutes later our ears are buffeted by a roar that is so loud it shakes the ground and everything around us. I look up onto the ridge and see many of the carriage plant employees going up on the ridge to watch the light show.

“Cloud. That was home, it's gone, everypony there, I think they are all gone.” I hear Winter quietly say as he looks down.

From inside the tavern, on the radio, we hear three deep tones followed by a high-pitched one, This is the Equestria emergency alert system, The Equastiran Air Defense Command has detected the launch of another twenty balefire missiles as well as multiple Megaspells targeted at the Equestrian mainland. This is an attack warning, repeat this is an attack warning. This means an actual attack has been detected and that protective action should be taken immediately. The following cities have been targeted Cloudsdale, Fillydelphia, Manehatten, Seaddle, Baltimare, Hoofington, Canterlot. and Dise. All those who are within 100 miles of a targeted area need to report to their stable. If a stable is not available take shelter in a basement or the lowest level of a sturdy building. Stay away from windows, doorways, and outside walls. Take a magically powered radio with you to your shelter to listen for further updates. Stay inside your stable or shelter until the all-clear is given. If you do not do so you may be exposed to magical radiation fallout. Fallout is a byproduct of balefire explosions and megaspells. Prolonged exposure to fallout may lead to sickness or death. Stay tuned to local media for further updates. Then the radio goes back to its normal program.

As we are standing there in shock we suddenly hear those tones again, followed by a new message, Civil danger warning, the following message is transmitted at the request of the equestrian Government. The Equestrian Air Defense has detected the launch of several hundred more Zebrican Balefire missiles and megaspells. This is an attack warning, repeat this is an attack warning. An attack warning means an actual attack has been launched and immediate action must be taken. Due to the high number of launches, it is not possible to determine exact targets. Therefore all residents of Equestria are strongly advised to find a Stable now. If no such shelter exists in your area...
the radio broadcast suddenly ends with nothing but static.

With grief in my heart, I look at Winter, “Well, if we have nothing left, let's help those who do.” I see Bessie, her eyes still having trouble seeing. “Bessie, do you need help getting to your stable?”

“I, I, I do not know. I cannot see, but if any of my people are here still, they should be able to help. Will one of you check for me?”

Winter goes inside and comes back out. “They are all gone. Sorry, Bessie. Cloud, shall we help her get there? She has her ticket; she has the right.”

“Sure Winter, why not. Let’s help those who can survive to do so. One final Megacell storm eh?” We both put our hooves out and bump them.

“Let’s do it. For the honor of the weather wardens. No storm too big not to try and save others.”

"They always told us we have to go out, we do not have to come back. Right Winter?"

With that began what we figured would be our final adventure. When we first get close to the stable the traffic there is mild. It seems most of the residents of Manesville are still in shock. As we bring Bessie up to the door, she can still not see. The entrance of the stable is inside a cave that is blocked by a chain-link fence and gate. The gate is open but blocked by the Stable Security teams, armed with batons and shotguns.

“Stop right there,” an older mare in security barding orders us. “While I appreciate your helping her, I cannot let you in without tickets, and I know we do not have any pegasi on the roster.”

“No problem officers. We understood that already. We are weather wardens who were passing through. It looks like our home of Cloudsdale already took it on the chin, so we are helping however we can.”

“Thanks again you two. I appreciate your help and your understanding. I know that there will be more who need your help if you are willing, if not good luck to you.”

With that, we fly off again and head back toward town. We see several families struggling along with foals. If they have PipBucks we go down and help them. If not, we know that they will not be able to get in anyways. Those families we stop and tell them to find as safe a place as they can and spend the time comforting each other.

We do this for over an hour. At one point I look toward Neighvarro and then the direction of Thunderhead and I see the skies being closed over with clouds. On our last trip out, we return with a family that has a foal that is having trouble keeping up. They are also helping an injured daughter along.

Winter takes the foal and carries him on his back. The daughter, who also has a ticket, was to graduate school this year. Most of her class has gone to Canterlot as a graduation year trip, but they are not due back for several days. She has a broken leg from slipping out of a barn two weeks earlier. As I help her walk to the stable, she tells me all of this in tears.

She was supposed to be on the trip. Several of her best friends, as well as her colt friend, are on it. She knows they will never be able to make it back in time. Finally, she tells me her name is Honey Crisp, and her brother, the foal, is Apple Knocker.

Behind us, we can see the herds of ponies heading toward the stable growing. Their faces look on the verge of panic. As we assist the family as they approach the stable, I see the older security mare and another mare arguing.

“Look, Twilight Dawn, I do not care if you are the Overmare, the policy says no ticket, no entrance.”

“Chief, I appreciate your loyalty to duty, but in Luna’s name think about it. Those families just let us know that they will not come in without their kids who are on the trip to Canterlot. You and I both know they are not going to make it.”

“I understand Ma’am. But really if we just start to let them in, we could have a panic.”

I watch as a large cow approaches the two.

“Overmare, Chief, what seems to be the problem?” She calmly asks.

“Overcow Sugarcube. I was just talking with your cohort here and trying to explain that even if we have one hundred openings available, we can’t let just any pony in, they have to have a ticket. “

“I see,” Sugarcube responds. "Perhaps chief you did not understand, she is not asking you to, she is not telling you to, she is ordering you to. And now so am I. We need to save as many as we can. Perhaps chief you do not understand that we may be all that is left after this door closes. Let us make as much of it as we can and save as many as we can. Consider it a lifeboat on a sinking ship. However, not one pony, cattle, or any other species more than our allotted number.”

“Yes, Ma’am. I understand. I am sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.” She sees me and Winter again. “You two, I know you heard that. I have seen what you have done, you both said you are weather wardens correct?”

We both nod our heads yes and tell her so.

“Good, we need more security up here, I will have Two Shot over there take you to the armory and suit you up. Congratulations, for now, you are both a part of my security force.”

We follow Two Shot to the armory and are issued our security barding, helmets, baton, and shotguns. Then we go back to the gates, where we assist in keeping order among the crowd that is near panic as more and more ponies come in.

As most of the ticket holders arrive, they are checked and sent through the gate. On both sides of the tunnel entrance, I notice two Machine gun turrets have popped up and are ready to fire in case they try and rush the gates. They are nearly activated when a group of fifty cattle show up and are admitted, causing those in the crowd without tickets to almost riot. I hear them yelling.

“What do you mean letting in cattle and leaving ponies out here to die?”

“Please take my foals too. How can you save cattle and leave our foals out here to die?”

“I talked to my brother near Canterlot, he told me that they have a stable filling up with zebras too. Why are they trying to save cattle and zebras when they cannot save all of us ponies first?”

The yelling and screams cannot be unheard. I will hear them in my dreams for the rest of my life.

Those who calmly come up helping others and then turn away are quietly grabbed by security and led into the stable until we have an almost full complement of inhabitants. We will need those who are willing to sacrifice, to help others. It is surprising that this has occurred. Finally, we hear a runner come up from within the stable.

“Chief, the Overmare and Overcow say to close and lock the gate immediately and fall back inside. We have inbound coming. We have to lock up immediately. By odds and evens, we fall back to the gate, covering each other as we do so. The crowd sensing something is up, surges forward. We make it through the gate, close it and lock it. We know it will not hold long so we turn and start to trot back to the stable entrance. The chief looks behind us and yells at us “For the love of all that is holy! Gallop now, your lives do depend on it. “

We run, the chief staying at the rear to make sure no one gets left behind. She enters yelling, "Close the door, now, now, Now!”

The door smoothly begins to move, I look back and see the sky in the distance down the tunnel for the very last time. The sky I have always loved so much. What have I given up to survive? And then the door slams home and the locks engage. Minutes afterward we are rocked as the entire stable shakes and rattles. For a minute I think it must be an earthquake, and then I realize, we have closed the door just in time. Manesville must be gone. All those poor souls outside, are gone. Equestria as we knew it, is gone.

Later that day I run into Honey Crisp and her family again. It seems I made quite an impression on all of them. And I am welcomed into the family. While I stay in the security department, Winter Wind doesn't. He had originally been raised on a cloud farm. So, he eventually ends up being transferred to Hydroponics, where he meets a sweet widowed mare that he ends up marrying and having a family with.

Eventually, Winter does get into some trouble though when it is found out he is taking some of the excess rye growth and converting it into homemade rye whiskey. He is almost executed for this. However, it is noted that he did not use any ingredients that the stable could not afford to divert. He was then limited to only a few gallons a year of production, but he writes the recipe down and it is been passed from generation to generation in the Hydroponics gang. One additional concession is that the label for each bottle has the face of Twilight Dawn on it. Since then we have called it Old Overmare. Usually what we have is saved for special occasions. Who knows, someday when we can go back topside, maybe they can make more of it.

Again, it is so amazing to me how much fate can change our lives. Who would have thought that it would take a pegasus to go underground to find the mare of his dreams? But I did find her there, or rather on the way there.

Shortly after I find her again, I begin to court Honey Crisp, eventually marrying her, and having a son who we named Summers End. It is his birth that has me make this wait the first time. The second time is when Winter Winds’s daughter Autumn Day gave birth to Summers's and her's daughter Bessie Blue.

Today I wait with the rest of my family as the patriarch. I am one of the few original inhabitants left. I never expected to live out that day much less to be over 100 years old. However, I will be satisfied to just live past this one. I cannot wait to meet my great grand foal.

Finally, the doctor comes into the waiting room and lets us know. “Congratulations all, it’s a little mare. Both she and her mother are safe and resting right now. In about an hour you can come to see them.”

I walk over to my grandson-in-law and congratulate him along with his parents. Then I sit along the wall. I pull out a bottle of Old Overmare. I look at Twilight Dawn's face and have so many good memories. Then I take out the cork and offer a congratulatory drink. We each have a sip, and I put the bottle back away.

At last, we are allowed to go in and see both mother and daughter. I follow behind everyone else. When we get there, I see my granddaughter snuggling with a beautiful red bay filly foal. She is all bright-eyed. I look at my granddaughter, “So what are you going to name her?”

“Hi Grandpa,” she says as she reaches out for a hug. “We have decided to name her after your mother, Wind Mill. I hope you do not mind?”

At first, I can only smile, then I gently put a hoof alongside the face of my great-granddaughter, “Wind Mill, I like it, I can see great things in your future Millie, Great things.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment